Another thread about sexism in video games.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Naw I wouldn't even go that far. Kojima is just weird. Quiet is one of the only examples I can think of where I would absolutely admit is a really bad look. But she is a rare example admittedly.
The point of the comic is that Kamitani is at least honest about his sexist intent rather than dressing it up as "justified" with nonsense posturing. Considering your posts over the past several pages of this thread, you may agree with Kamitani, but you're nowhere near honest or self-reflective about it.

But then again this is another example of how messages get lost in translation and stumble through cultural barriers. Kojima in his own words designed her so that once you recognize the secret reason for her exposure, you will feel ashamed of your words & deeds.

— HIDEO_KOJIMA (@HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN) September 7, 2013

Of course, no one ever felt that way, so it is likely also be a failing of the writing quality never delivering the intended impact, but after playing the game thoroughly I don’t think he was being disingenuous. As an aside I put her in the Sniper Wolf outfit as soon as it became available.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
But then again this is another example of how messages get lost in translation and stumble through cultural barriers. Kojima in his own words designed her so that once you recognize the secret reason for her exposure, you will feel ashamed of your words & deeds.

Of course, no one ever felt that way, so it is likely also be a failing of the writing quality never delivering the intended impact, but after playing the game thoroughly I don’t think he was being disingenuous. As an aside I put her in the Sniper Wolf outfit as soon as it became available.
I may be misremembering, but I thought that quote was in response to people calling him out on the design. He was attempting to claim that people saying the design was unnecessarily sexualized and sexist would be "ashamed of their words and deeds" when they realized she's dressed like that because 'she breathes through her skin.' He was doubling down.

Again, it's been awhile so maybe I'm wrong. *shrug*

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
But then again this is another example of how messages get lost in translation and stumble through cultural barriers.
I think the cultural barrier is very hard to truly get over and I feel like a lot of people, especially in the US, project their own morals and values on other cultures they know fuck all about.

Remember when all those people on social media got mad that Sucker Punch would dare to make a game that was Japanese centric and inspired, but everyone in Japan was like, "Yo this is cool as fuck! Good job America!"?

I feel like a lot of that happens with this argument as well. And in a way that's okay, because our culture right now is a culture of being overly sensitive to everything that could possibly upset someone else, but it's not an attitude that's really sustainable and most people who take these kinds of stances often have contradicting stances when it is convient for them to do so, or when their mask slips just a little bit.

WoW got used as an example, and okay even if you want to use the Vanilla WoW armor as a problem that's fine. But what is the problem with characters that have no male counter part in their games? Lara Croft is sexist how? Especially new Lara who doesn't wear anything revealing at all. What's the excuse for Zero Suit Samus who's outfit is form fitting but makes sense within the art style and theme of her games.

You can look at the Korean MMO's and go, "Holy shit!" pretty easily. But if it's not a problem to them, then why should it be a problem to us? WE don't have to like it, if they like it, then that is all that should matter because they don't see the world the same way as we do. So sexist ideas based on character design likely don't even cross their mind.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I feel like a lot of that happens with this argument as well. And in a way that's okay, because our culture right now is a culture of being overly sensitive to everything that could possibly upset someone else, but it's not an attitude that's really sustainable and most people who take these kinds of stances often have contradicting stances when it is convient for them to do so, or when their mask slips just a little bit.
So true, bestie
WoW got used as an example, and okay even if you want to use the Vanilla WoW armor as a problem that's fine. But what is the problem with characters that have no male counter part in their games? Lara Croft is sexist how? Especially new Lara who doesn't wear anything revealing at all. What's the excuse for Zero Suit Samus who's outfit is form fitting but makes sense within the art style and theme of her games.

You can look at the Korean MMO's and go, "Holy shit!" pretty easily. But if it's not a problem to them, then why should it be a problem to us? WE don't have to like it, if they like it, then that is all that should matter because they don't see the world the same way as we do. So sexist ideas based on character design likely don't even cross their mind.
Well, they're trying to sell it to us, so there's that.

EDIT: Plus, it's not like this stuff is 100% accepted in their own countries with zero controversy

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

I still call bullshit on him for that. I respect Kojima for pushing the medium forward, but dude is way too egostical and up his own ass when it comes to alot of things. It's why I never followed him so hard.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Well, they're trying to sell it to us, so there's that.
Well of course. But they often also censor their games for the western market. Look at Lost Ark, which is an upcoming MMO/diablo-like coming in like....Febuary? Oh fuck another Feburary game, fuck me sideways with a spoon I swear. Anyway, there are several youtube video on a wide variety of Koren games that get censored for western release, and I believe several Japanese games also have done that too.

If there is one thing the West is behind on, it's education, but also it is sex and how sex is viewed. America specifically holds onto some pretty upset Chrisitan values that other Chrisitan nations do not. Tits are perfectly fine to see on standard television all over Europe for example. I was actually watching an old British episode of Kitchen Nightmares that had boobies in it. Not to mention that you can swear almost as much as you want on British TV as well cause Gordon uses "fuck" more than Yahtzee.

EDIT: Plus, it's not like this stuff is 100% accepted in their own countries with zero controversy
I wouldn't even know where or how to begin finding Korean video game news, much less accurately translated. You could be right, but judging by the sheer consistancy of their boobie armor art style, i highly doubt it's much of an uproar.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Well of course. But they often also censor their games for the western market. Look at Lost Ark, which is an upcoming MMO/diablo-like coming in like....Febuary? Oh fuck another Feburary game, fuck me sideways with a spoon I swear. Anyway, there are several youtube video on a wide variety of Koren games that get censored for western release, and I believe several Japanese games also have done that too.

If there is one thing the West is behind on, it's education, but also it is sex and how sex is viewed. America specifically holds onto some pretty upset Chrisitan values that other Chrisitan nations do not. Tits are perfectly fine to see on standard television all over Europe for example. I was actually watching an old British episode of Kitchen Nightmares that had boobies in it. Not to mention that you can swear almost as much as you want on British TV as well cause Gordon uses "fuck" more than Yahtzee.
Maybe it's the "been awake for 29 hours" thing, but I honestly don't know what argument you're trying to make here. Do you want our cultures to be homogeneous world wide?

I wouldn't even know where or how to begin finding Korean video game news, much less accurately translated. You could be right, but judging by the sheer consistancy of their boobie armor art style, i highly doubt it's much of an uproar.
Oh, you know, death threats, feminazis, death of masculinity. Same as over here circa 2006

EDIT: I happened to be following some Korean Overwatch folks at the time, but this Kotaku article is basically accurate to what I remember

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I happened to be following some korean over watch folks at the time, but this Kotaku article is basically accurate to what I remember
The problem with that article is that is a reaction based off a game that isn't made in Korea. The point I was making was with how Koreans view the art style used in Korean based games. Though the part in another article I read in which a player was playing as D.VA and another player killed D.VA and kept trying to angle the camera up the D.VA's skirt, they called it "Skirt harrassment" and it made me lol.

Everything is harassment these days. I wonder why competitive games are even allowed to still exist. You can't mock, taunt, jeer, tease, or belittle your opponents in anyway.

Maybe it's the "been awake for 29 hours" thing, but I honestly don't know what argument you're trying to make here. Do you want our cultures to be homogeneous world wide?
Not at all. My argument was to not project your ideals upon a piece of art when you have no context or knowledge of the intent behind it. Especially when it comes to shit made in other cultures. Korean games have very sexy outfits for the female characters and yes that could be considered sexist in the West, but that doesn't mean it was made or considered sexist in it's design or intent in the culture in which the game was made. I'm sure every culture has a line, of course, and perhaps some of the shit does go to far, but it is rare for the western audiences to see or know about that.

Hell the biggest game in the world is a game 99.9% of us have never even heard of because it's a Chinese game that is bigger and has more players than every other game in the world and it isn't even close. But it Chinese only, and likely will never see Western for reasons I have no clue of.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Lmao

"Sure the full plate mail on dudes was turned into chainmail bikinis on gals but that's not sexist because the stats are the same"

I'm done here, I can't argue with a parody
How often did that happen and the character wasn't literally one of the most powerful witches / mages in existence?

Generally the whole chainmail bikini argument falls apart when it's pointed out in context it was mainly in games with Swords and Sandals Aesthetic where the guys were wearing little more than loin cloths and not that actually is sexualising male characters too not idealising them.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
The problem with that article is that is a reaction based off a game that isn't made in Korea. The point I was making was with how Koreans view the art style used in Korean based games. Though the part in another article I read in which a player was playing as D.VA and another player killed D.VA and kept trying to angle the camera up the D.VA's skirt, they called it "Skirt harrassment" and it made me lol.

Everything is harassment these days. I wonder why competitive games are even allowed to still exist. You can't mock, taunt, jeer, tease, or belittle your opponents in anyway.

Not at all. My argument was to not project your ideals upon a piece of art when you have no context or knowledge of the intent behind it. Especially when it comes to shit made in other cultures. Korean games have very sexy outfits for the female characters and yes that could be considered sexist in the West, but that doesn't mean it was made or considered sexist in it's design or intent in the culture in which the game was made. I'm sure every culture has a line, of course, and perhaps some of the shit does go to far, but it is rare for the western audiences to see or know about that.

Hell the biggest game in the world is a game 99.9% of us have never even heard of because it's a Chinese game that is bigger and has more players than every other game in the world and it isn't even close. But it Chinese only, and likely will never see Western for reasons I have no clue of.
Okay, so does that mean we can't criticize Ubisoft games because they're a French company? I'm really not getting this argument

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I may be misremembering, but I thought that quote was in response to people calling him out on the design. He was attempting to claim that people saying the design was unnecessarily sexualized and sexist would be "ashamed of their words and deeds" when they realized she's dressed like that because 'she breathes through her skin.' He was doubling down.

Again, it's been awhile so maybe I'm wrong. *shrug*
According to Kotaku that wasn’t revealed until the game released nearly two years later -

Another take on it was that, like other hidden messaging behind the series’ continuation as a whole, perhaps Kojima did it on purpose -

Ultimately though, how much does it really matter when the person playing the character herself didn’t see an issue with it.

Unfortunately the video in question appears to be private, so I’m not sure what it’s from.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Okay, so does that mean we can't criticize Ubisoft games because they're a French company? I'm really not getting this argument
They aren't making games for the French market. They make games for the Western Market. Korean and Chinese games very rarely get Western releases and when they do, it's an after thought so the designs of those games doesn't adhere to aditional markets typically.

And yes in a way if you wanted to criticize Ubisoft games for being culturally insensitive based off French culture...then you'd probaly not have much leg to stand on.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
They aren't making games for the French market. They make games for the Western Market. Korean and Chinese games very rarely get Western releases and when they do, it's an after thought so the designs of those games doesn't adhere to aditional markets typically.

And yes in a way if you wanted to criticize Ubisoft games for being culturally insensitive based off French culture...then you'd probaly not have much leg to stand on.
So...if a game is released to a worldwide mass market, why is the world not allowed to criticize it based strictly on geography? Especially if it's, say, Koreans criticizing the Korean character? How does that make sense?

EDIT: Fuck's sake, according to this logic you shouldn't give a shit that Japanese audiences loved Ghosts of Tsushima because it wasn't made for or by them

Plus, like, Blizzard is big in Korea.

Plus Plus, it's hilarious how The West gets to be this huge, homogeneous Mayo culture despite being 3 continents with dozens of cultures, countries, and more than a few languages

EditEdit, because this is a nesting doll of stuff and I've been up for over 30 hours now:
Though the part in another article I read in which a player was playing as D.VA and another player killed D.VA and kept trying to angle the camera up the D.VA's skirt, they called it "Skirt harrassment" and it made me lol.
You can't turn off the click sound your cellphone makes when it takes a picture in Korea because of the prevalence of upskirt photography. So yeah, when that starts showing up in gameplay it's gonna be commented on. Glad you find it amusing.

Last edited:

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I thought I might share the first time I really started to think about the crappy portrayal of women in computer games. The year is 2003, and the game is Unreal 2: The Awakening. So, you're some sort of galactic commando/policeman with their own ship to scoot around dealing with miscreants, and because reasons you have on board the greatest military mind in the human race, who decided to pack up and abscond from their job as genius in residence at high command. And let's take a look at that person...

View attachment 5198

Are you fucking kidding me?
What are you saying sexy women can't be smoking hot too?

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Fucking Haydee.
Pretty sure Haydee at best counts as an AA if not Indie A level not AAA, if we're going below AAA for this stuff then there's a hell of a lot of female leads in games

Meanwhile Skyrim sex modding is rooted firmly in sexual deviancy and misogyny.
No it's rooted in wanting to go on adventures with the busty warrior maiden and be banging her at night when you've set up camp because you both think the other is fucking awesome.

I think it's more just that growing up means transitioning from a horny teenager to a functioning, mature adult, and somewhere along the line you're supposed to learn about women being fully actualised individuals in their own right rather than slabs of meat to ogle and fuck.

Some people struggle with this.
Yeh, funny how it seems to be the Joss Whedon types who didn't learn this lesson

If they want to broaden their appeal, you can be unhappy and you can say so, but really you're just going to have to deal with it. Why should they toil away for a small fanbase when they've got mortgages to pay and kids to feed, or even just want another Ferrarri to add to their collection? They aren't your slaves. And besides, creators create - few want to be stuck doing the same stuff year after year. They grow, experience, develop, innovate.
They're not obliged to but it's worth remembering in my opinion who the core audience who helped build you up are. E.G the disaster in the UK that was Poundlands premium furniture line............. yes you read that right the UK Poundland (Basically UK version of Dollar store or whatever it is in the USA) tried to launch a range of furniture to compete wit premium brands. It failed badly because Poundland was a shop brand built on value and the idea of some of the goods being a case of "Good enough to get the job done but probably not that much more" and value budget stuff to tide you over until you could get a replacement of the high quality premium stuff.

Mass appeal is the bland oatmeal of entertainment. Everyone can eat it and it will satisfy them enough but it will never truly be that beloved by catering specifically to a group. Just because Fortnite is a big mass appeal hit doesn't mean all games should be rushing to abandon single player stories in favour of it. Mass appeal is Resident Evil 6, appealing to the niche that made it popular is Resident Evil 7 & 8.

Game of Thrones was huge and it's worth remembering that wasn't designed for mass appeal it was HBO making a show with a big budget but breaking almost all the rules of mass appeal TV or at least mass return TV. It was a show with nudity and sex which was willing to show it not cut away so there go to puritans. It had bloody violence so there go the ones against violence and a lot of it was about politician machination which are outside of crisis stuff or major stuff like white house politic seen as boring. It was a show once described by a TV critic as "That show your weird cousin who you worry about would probably enjoy immensely"

The world moves on. Preserving things in aspic is just stagnation. Either move with progress, or become like an aged grumpster waving his walking stick at newfangled stuff and damn kids, in addled confusion. Or as the saying goes, "a reed that doesn't bend in the wind, breaks".
What if the "progress" seems to be driving backwards though?

It's weird because this sort of cover up stuff seems so reminiscent to the backlash to CDUK and the music videos being shown being "Too sexy for 10 Am in the morning" or whatever the argument used to be.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Some people remain convinced that "those SJWs" want to take away everything sexy, so that the feminists can execute their master plan: Cut off the balls of all men and make us hold their purses while they shop.
1) A Feminist scholar did once suggest killing 80% of the male population
2) Maybe if they want to dispel that idea they could stop getting mad and focussing on every single AAA game that has a female character look in any way sexy and pretending it's some kind of outrage?

And yes, why should they have power over companies? Why don't companies just cater to you?
Because they keep turning out to not be the customers? Like happened with the hilariously telling tweet saying something like "Nintendo needs to make Zelda female for the next game or I'm done with this franchise" that happened years ago.

Generalizing all pixel fantasies as some caricature mixture of playboy, baywatch and american pie that a horny teenager would be into is incredibly ignorant.
Hilariously, most of the games you are defending are, in fact, some caricature mixture of Playboy, Bay Watch, and American Pie. Like, how else would you describe the legions of "do some version of Not Sex But Totally Sex with high school girls: the anime game"? I heard the one where you shoot them with pheromones until they relieve so much stress they need to take a bath has decent writing, the one where you make Star Children with your pregnant cousin was less well received.
Sorry to interject but American Pie when you remove some of the stuff that's a bit iffy like secret webcams etc actually has an overall pretty positive message about caring for women and not just seeming them as things that exist for your own pleasure.

American Pie 1 has OZ realising he cares more about the girl beyond just sleeping with her after prom night and doesn't want to push her he just wants to be with her. Stifler learns nothing because Stifler is an asshole. Jim learns some girls very much do love sex. Finch learns sometimes sex just falls into your lap.

American Pie 2 has Jim realising there's more to life and love and relationships than just trying to get with the hottest / most conventionally sexy girl on a physical level and personality and attitude can be damn sexy too.

(I've not seen American Pie The wedding, The Reunion, The Book of Love or Girls Rule)

American Pie: Band camp is about learning to respect people and try to sincerely take an interest in things for reasons beyond sex.

American Pie: The Naked Mile is about how sex is more meaningful if you're in a loving relationship than just having sex to have sex.

American Pie: Beta House Rulez is about how to come back from a breakup and try to move on.

Like American Pie I get was sold as a sex comedy but it's really far more in a genre I'd call "The coming of age" films. There's plenty of them and many of them have similar kind of messages from Kevin and Perry Go Large to The Inbetweeners movie. The almost terrible irony of it is Sex Drive a film that was sort of meant to be a deconstruction of the genre actually uses roughly the same plot structure as many of the other films.

Dunno how often I have to point this out, but real actual people having real actual choice is a far cry from women-shaped objects in video games.
So...yes? And? Therefore?
The simple answer is "Until it actually forms into something that makes sense".
To actually elaborate and not just seem like I'm being snarky:

The argument against the outfits seems to be either "No woman would wear that" or "but they have no agency". The problem is if people want to argue that female characters don't have enough agency to choose their own clothes in said worlds then how can it ever be argued their choices for more complex or dangerous things were due to agency in those worlds and not the fickle evil sexist guiding hand of some man making them do it? As such there are not good female characters in media as none of their action are truly their own. Thus we have to work on the assumption they do have "fictional agency" and said outfit choices would be ones they'd make if anyone ever wants to argue there is such a thing as a good female character in video gaming and present it as anything even close to an actual objective standard and not merely a highly subjective one where you're trying to make a character that will meet every possible standard to everyone somehow.

I mean, why bother listening to what people actually say when you can read people's subconsciousness over the internet? Must be easy to win arguments when the people doing things you like are speaking their truth at all times but people saying things you don't like are all conveniently lying to themselves and others
Precedent helps a lot with being able to pull that off and recognise stuff like that. I can't speak for broken controller but I will say from personal experience from a relationship I was in that yeh Broken controller is right that it does apply to some women. It's often fairly easy to pick up on the same kind of things being said in the same ways etc.

I mean there's also group 3 too who do it because they think they're saving the world / helping people too and mostly got taken in by the idea of collectivism and tribal peer pressure almost.

Far as I can figure we're about 10 posts away from relitigating "she breaths through her skin"
DO NOT MAKE ME PUT FORWARD THAT ARGUMENT AGAIN

Individually, overly sexy armor or a damsel in distress are no big thing. The issue is when that starts happening everywhere. I doubt anyone could name an mmo where female versions of armor aren't all more skimpy then male ones. Even Tera which tends to be pretty good at giving both genders skimpy armor, will still have some sets that are completely covering plate mail for guys and a metal bikini for girls.
New World?
The Secret World?
City of Heroes?
Global Agenda?
That one with the animals from a few years ago the Sci-Fi one?
One of the Star Wars ones probably?
Defiance?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
New World?
The Secret World?
City of Heroes?
Global Agenda?
That one with the animals from a few years ago the Sci-Fi one?
One of the Star Wars ones probably?
Defiance?
I don't know about the rest since I never played them but Global Agenda certainly had more form fitting armor for females.
1641426365697.png

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I dunno those dude's armors look pretty tight. Women just have better forms overall, but not really much you can do about that.
Its boob plate, there is no reason for boob plate unless you are going for sexy silly.