The Thread where I air my grievances with the Assassins' Creed series SPOILERS EVERYWHERE

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
It always strikes me as weird that some of the French citizens in Unity had British accents. You think a company based in France wouldn’t have a problem hiring French actors to voice French npcs.
I sort of remember at some point when Unity came out and that criticism was coming in, someone at Ubisoft said they didn't want to do French accented English because they were afraid it would sound cartoonish, like Pepe Lepew.
On the one hand, Ubi's explanation for such things doesn't have a good track record (e.g., gender representation). But I gotta say whether they were being honest or not, I see it.

"Of course I am French, why do you think I have this outRAGeous accent?!"- Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Reactions: Hawki

thestor

Dec 19, 2007
A French accent doesn't have to be cartoonishly silly. Maybe it's just me, but I am partial to the Spy in Team Fortress 2.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I sort of remember at some point when Unity came out and that criticism was coming in, someone at Ubisoft said they didn't want to do French accented English because they were afraid it would sound cartoonish, like Pepe Lepew.
On the one hand, Ubi's explanation for such things doesn't have a good track record (e.g., gender representation). But I gotta say whether they were being honest or not, I see it.

"Of course I am French, why do you think I have this outRAGeous accent?!"- Monty Python and the Holy Grail
I think the official line is that they wanted to convey class and English is easier to do that then French or some such. Except they pretty much failed at that too, especially for Napolean who was pretty much looked down upon because he was Coriscan and not "French", but speaks like everyone else.

Otoh he sure showed those people when he conquered half of Europe and pushed the Holy Roman Empire into it's grave.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
@Old_Hunter_77 & @Dalisclock, are you ready...for AC Shadows?!

Honestly I think I'm done with AC except for the occasional replay of Black Flag and AC2. Ubisoft keeps making dumb choices and makes me not want to support them on top of most of their new games seem live service/MTX/MP oriented which I just don't care about.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Honestly I think I'm done with AC except for the occasional replay of Black Flag and AC2. Ubisoft keeps making dumb choices and makes me not want to support them on top of most of their new games seem live service/MTX/MP oriented which I just don't care about.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
@Old_Hunter_77 & @Dalisclock, are you ready...for AC Shadows?!

Yes, actually. Laugh at me all you want but I am genuinely looking forward to it. No I'm not jizzing myself like the folks waiting for Hades 2, Elden Ring DLC or Silksong, it just looks like it's gonna be a fun and pretty action game with swords and whatever, and that's fine.
I'm also aware how funny everyone on the internet thinks they are comparing it to Ghost of Tsushima but I think that's stupid, and you know how much I love that game.

I like everything they are advertising about the game except only one thing: that you can do main missions as either character. This suggests they still refuse to make a focused, dedicated main story. Since they haven't had one of those since Unity, and a decent one of those since Black Flag, and an actually good one since Revelations, I'm not surprised just disappointed.

The rest is good though. Most impressive is how the characters look- seem to have less of whatever that weird 'uncanny valley' vibe of Valhalla, Mirage, and other games like Horizons. But won't know for sure until I play a few hours of it.

I am not fooling myself into thinking this will be some great thing. I'm sure game critics will complain it's too long and repetitive. Yahtzee will put it in his top blandest list. Every other post on every gaming subreddit will lecture us about how Breath of the Wild and Elden Ring have EMERGENT GAMEPLAY and that makes AssCreed ass. The marketing team is promising less hand-holdy map icon stuff that the smart gamers have been bitching about and I just don't have any faith this will be implemented in a satisfying way- it'll still be too "handholdy" for the clever-than-me gamers. But I don't care, I'm not playing these games to have a pricier Outer Wilds.

I dunno when I'll buy/play it- this fall is going to have some major life changes for me which means I'll do no gaming or a lot of it to get away.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yes, actually. Laugh at me all you want but I am genuinely looking forward to it. No I'm not jizzing myself like the folks waiting for Hades 2, Elden Ring DLC or Silksong, it just looks like it's gonna be a fun and pretty action game with swords and whatever, and that's fine.
I'm also aware how funny everyone on the internet thinks they are comparing it to Ghost of Tsushima but I think that's stupid, and you know how much I love that game.

I like everything they are advertising about the game except only one thing: that you can do main missions as either character. This suggests they still refuse to make a focused, dedicated main story. Since they haven't had one of those since Unity, and a decent one of those since Black Flag, and an actually good one since Revelations, I'm not surprised just disappointed.

The rest is good though. Most impressive is how the characters look- seem to have less of whatever that weird 'uncanny valley' vibe of Valhalla, Mirage, and other games like Horizons. But won't know for sure until I play a few hours of it.

I am not fooling myself into thinking this will be some great thing. I'm sure game critics will complain it's too long and repetitive. Yahtzee will put it in his top blandest list. Every other post on every gaming subreddit will lecture us about how Breath of the Wild and Elden Ring have EMERGENT GAMEPLAY and that makes AssCreed ass. The marketing team is promising less hand-holdy map icon stuff that the smart gamers have been bitching about and I just don't have any faith this will be implemented in a satisfying way- it'll still be too "handholdy" for the clever-than-me gamers. But I don't care, I'm not playing these games to have a pricier Outer Wilds.

I dunno when I'll buy/play it- this fall is going to have some major life changes for me which means I'll do no gaming or a lot of it to get away.
Excellent. As expected.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Top posts from each video respectively -

user-vg8ox3he1i1 day ago
The most heroic thing about this trailer is that they left the comments open.

saulitix1 day ago
Ubi has balls of steel for asking people to pre-order their game without showing ANY gameplay.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
So apparently the usual suspects are having a hissy fit over AC Shadows not being historically accurate, centered on whether or not the historical figure of Yasuke was actually a samurai or just a retainer. But like, who the fuck cares, it's Assassin's Creed? The series' level respect of historical accuracy is literally Ancient Aliens. There is so, so much wrong in every AC game.

So curious how selective folks are about which inaccuracies are actually egregious.

As a side note, I didn't really expect the shinobi character to be anything other than your typical pop fiction ninja, throwing shuriken while somersaulting off rooftops and such. But I'd be interested in a game that's closer to how shinobi actually historically operated. Espionage, sabotage and assassination through inflictration, deception, and disguise. Come to think of it, that's not too dissimilar from Hitman. I'd take a feudal Japan Hitman.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
(now including Desmonds Estranged dad, William)
I realize I am late to the party (I only just read through the first 31 posts of this thread and that was mostly to have something to do while walking on a treadmill) but something I've always wondered about is why Desmond's dad couldn't be used to access the genetic memories of his ancestors. Do the games ever bring this subject up?

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I realize I am late to the party (I only just read through the first 31 posts of this thread and that was mostly to have something to do while walking on a treadmill) but something I've always wondered about is why Desmond's dad couldn't be used to access the genetic memories of his ancestors. Do the games ever bring this subject up?
Presumably they could but Dad is implied to live off the grid for the most part(Desmond mentions living in basically an apocalypse compound out in the boonies as a kid) so he was probably harder to find and capture. He comes out of the woodwork when Desmond goes into a coma at the end of brotherhood and then gets briefly captured in 3 before Desmond shows up to rescue him.

Desmond, OTOH, ran away from home to tend bar in New York so was apparently easy for the Templars to just black bag him and shove him into a van.

Reactions: Bedinsis

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Yes- Desmond's mother also had Isu DNA, making him singularlry unique. I don't remember which of the playable historical ancestors are from which side of his parentage but only Desmond would have been able to access Altair AND Ezio AND all the Kenways.

Reactions: Bedinsis