The Shattered Elden Ring Thread: Tarnished Edition - (Shadow of the Erdtree p. 85)

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Anyway, yes Elden Ring. Very looking forward to it, and according to some crap I just read it's apparently the current most pre-purchased game on Steam. I need a bribe to pre-purchase stuff typically, but I so think this will be a weekend 1 buy for myself. It seems to be shaping up well, and I'm relieved that it was delayed for more polish since I really want this to be a smooth sendoff to the... Soulsverse? Since it feels like a set up to cap off at least this iteration of the series.
I have literally never preordered a game before. But I did for ER simply because I wanted the experience of being involved in the hype-day1-reaction phase of a game.
I don't even love Souls games THAT much. But I don't have a PS5, don't care about Pokemon and won't play FPS parkour Dying Light so Elden Ring is pretty much my only anticipated game of 2022.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Yeah. If his influence was more prominently on display it’s likely we’d still not have seen ER’s story trailer, and the release date would be nowhere in sight. Hell, the House of Dragons spin-off would probably be finishing its run before he’d finish it, let alone Winds of Winter.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Tell me, which name is that makes this immune to the same pillorying given to any number of open world games for the same thing? Is it Miyazaki's or Martin's?
Miyazaki's, I guess, or FromSoftware as a whole.
AFAIK they don't release broken games so we're going by their history. Sure there are patches and bugs like anything else but they're acceptable. Dark Souls 3, Bloodborne and Sekiro were good releases and good games. Why should Elden Ring be different, because it's open world? I mean obviously we'll see but I think the idea of slamming them for a day 1 patch- a thing that is like every game now- would be silly. That is to say- did anyone NOT expect a day 1 patch?

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
AFAIK they don't release broken games so we're going by their history. Sure there are patches and bugs like anything else but they're acceptable. Dark Souls 3, Bloodborne and Sekiro were good releases and good games. Why should Elden Ring be different, because it's open world? I mean obviously we'll see but I think the idea of slamming them for a day 1 patch- a thing that is like every game now- would be silly. That is to say- did anyone NOT expect a day 1 patch?
No just plenty of games that weren't bug ridden garbage boasted about their massive open worlds and once people played them the reaction was "Yeah, so fucking what?". Day One Patches are a new normal thing, I hold them no ill thought.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Dark Souls: Prepare to Die edition has been broken (in almost game breaking ways regarding multiplayer) since release and contains a significant number of bugs. DS2 and DS3 both had their fair share of issues. DS1: Remastered only really fixed the main multiplayer bug from DS:ptD and left in 90% of the rest.

Dark Souls has always been fun despite much of its inherent jank with some of the jank even being adopted as "features" by the community. It's very similar to how Elder Scrolls used to be treated (though not quite at the same level of bugginess likely related to not having a large open world).

Reactions: Dalisclock

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Ok fair enough, the only Dark Souls I ever played was the remastered version. My entry into From was Bloodborne. That and Sekiro are really my favorite games by them, so I guess I have recency bias.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Tell me, which name is that makes this immune to the same pillorying given to any number of open world games for the same thing? Is it Miyazaki's or Martin's?
I think right now FROM has a pretty good reputation of good world design and as long as they haven't dropped the ball on that, ER should continue the trend.

Now we'll seeing a month just how well they ended up succeeding with ER.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I think right now FROM has a pretty good reputation of good world design and as long as they haven't dropped the ball on that, ED should continue the trend.

Now we'll seeing a month just how well they ended up succeeding with ER.
The BN netcode exploit is gravely concerning, at least for PC players. If they don’t nip that it could *ahem* tarnish (PUN!) a launch that should otherwise be another grand slam for FROM, especially since BN was informed of it quite a while back and basically ignored it, until the weight of the issue was spelled out for them via a YouTube clip. Hopefully this is what the day-one patch addresses thoroughly. I planned on preordering for PS4 though regardless.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
The BN netcode exploit is gravely concerning, at least for PC players. If they don’t nip that it could *ahem* tarnish (PUN!) a launch that should otherwise be another grand slam for FROM, especially since BN was informed of it quite a while back and basically ignored it, until the weight of the issue was spelled out for them via a YouTube clip. Hopefully this is what the day-one patch addresses thoroughly. I planned on preordering for PS4 though regardless.
I mean, I was primarily addressing world design more than anything else, but yeah, FROM/BN do have an issue with glitches and exploits they need to deal with. DS3 infamously had an issue with bonfires crashing the game early on I think and there was some problems that hackers could somehow give you a glitched item and get you banned as well.

I have a lot more faith the ER world will be well designed then I am it will be glitch free at launch, because all of FROMs games have some issues and then there's shit like the Bed of Chaos which seems to be a problem of running short on time with something that's way too ambitious.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland

The name alone makes me want to seek out this encounter.
Drunken Sailors are trouble. -Me, former Navy sailor.

And yes, the stereotype is true, most of them do abuse the shit out of alcohol and will drink up their entire paycheck after a month at sea. It's why I laugh at the idea of Buried pirate treasure because it's based on the idea that most pirates would have enough treasure left to actually hide after a port visit where booze and hookers were available.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
A mini smorgasbord of new footage -

ok I must resist for the next four weeks now…ugh.
Shame I don't get on with From Software's output, their stuff always looks like something I would enjoy if I had the time or patience to repeatedly die and restart a level. I will look forward to reading your stories from this game.

However having watched this footage, it seems to me that the story of this game is about going around killing things that are just standing around minding their own business:)