A Group of 270 Scientists, Doctors, etc. Submit Open Letter to Spotify Regarding Joe Rogan (JRE)

Generals

Elite Member
May 19, 2020
This and articles like this were based on a study published in the Lancet. Here's a quick snip of the study:
View attachment 5463
You mean like how the media reported on potential benefits of hydroxychloroquine and Ivermectin back when early studies suggested it did? Some of the studies which also ended up being full shit? The media jumping on juicy studies that can get them a lot of clicks is nothing new. This is not "demonizing" anyone.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Let's say that hypothetically does happen. How does that make Rogan anything other than a blind squirrel who accidentally found a nut? He's still a dumb jock and a bullshit artist.
He/his supporters get to claim he's a genius/psychic.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
A grifter made up the data to capitalize on the Trump hatred, and people bought into it.
No, a grifter made up data. There is no evidence it was to capitalise on any particular political position.

And the many people who bought into it are irrelevant? A grifter correctly identified that a particular political persuasion was vulnerable to his exploitation, the politics of that are not irrelevant.
You surely do understand the difference between people giving credence to what appears to be legitimate science, and people giving credence to what is established to not be legitimate science because they support a political candidate?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Let's say that hypothetically does happen. How does that make Rogan anything other than a blind squirrel who accidentally found a nut? He's still a dumb jock and a bullshit artist.
THAT"S THE POINT OF HIS PODCAST!!!!

You wanna know why Rogan is so popular. Because his podcast is mostly him just shooting the shit and talking with his buddies. Yes sometimes he has real legit guests on and they talk about interesting facts. But much in the same way Howard Stern got popular being a racy little shock jock, it makes the listener feel like you're just talking bullshit with your friends. And usually that bullshit is exactly that, BULLSHIT.

People who take anything said on a podcast as serious advice, are fucking dumb. Period. You should never take advice from a radio show seriously ever. Now when Rogan talks about working out, you can probably reason that he knows WTF he's talking about there, or MMA, things he's well known for. But medical advice should only ever come from your doctor END OF STORY.

It's like when people were trying to ban all the false medical advice and flat earth shit on Facebook. If you are dumb enough to believe that shit then....fucking Darwinism should run it's course.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
It's like when people were trying to ban all the false medical advice and flat earth shit on Facebook. If you are dumb enough to believe that shit then....fucking Darwinism should run it's course.
It's not just their problem, though. By your own admission, Rogan has contributed to prolonging the pandemic, which affects all of us, yourself included. Rogan is still massively irresponsible with his platform and nothing you've said changes that brute fact.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
This is not "demonizing" anyone.
You really don't see parallels between people saying potential treatments are horse pills, fish tank cleaner, or bleach injection and people saying vaccines contain mercury so they're poisonous...

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
By your own admission, Rogan has contributed to prolonging the pandemic,
Did i admit that? I mean if he did the effect was negligable. The pandemic is worldwide and I doubt he has many non-english speaking viewers. It's really hard to pin any noticable effect on him. And let's be real, progressives have hated Rogan long before the pandemic, this is just another thing to blast him about frankly.

Rogan is still massively irresponsible with his platform and nothing you've said changes that brute fact.

That's like saying GTA is responible for school shootings.

Is facebook responsible for anti-vax movements and flat-earth movements?

Rogan is entertainment and claims to be nothing more than that. I've never once heard Rogan address his audience and give them a call to any sort of action.

Is CNN irresponsible with lying in their stories? Fox, MSNBC?

I think it's a really hard claim to point a finger at a show or platform and say they are irresponisble without being able to prove a tangible effect due to a specific program or personality.

Fact of the matter is that people are responsible for their own actions, and they need to be educated properly. But there is no way to do that when every channel you watch tells you different information. Rogan is only one piece of information in a total jumble of a mess of bullshit information that has happened. And again I'll point out that the U.S. is far from the only country that hasn't gotten rid of the pandemic.

At this point Covid is never going anywhere. There will always be a variant, always be a bit of the virus going around. Maybe it'll become seasonal maybe not. But many places are removing restrictions because life has to go on at some point and we can't cripple ourselves because of a virus that is not really all that dangerous in the grand scheme of things.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Did i admit that? I mean if he did the effect was negligable. The pandemic is worldwide and I doubt he has many non-english speaking viewers. It's really hard to pin any noticable effect on him. And let's be real, progressives have hated Rogan long before the pandemic, this is just another thing to blast him about frankly.

Rogan is entertainment and claims to be nothing more than that. I've never once heard Rogan address his audience and give them a call to any sort of action.

I think it's a really hard claim to point a finger at a show or platform and say they are irresponisble without being able to prove a tangible effect due to a specific program or personality.

Fact of the matter is that people are responsible for their own actions, and they need to be educated properly. But there is no way to do that when every channel you watch tells you different information. Rogan is only one piece of information in a total jumble of a mess of bullshit information that has happened. And again I'll point out that the U.S. is far from the only country that hasn't gotten rid of the pandemic.

At this point Covid is never going anywhere. There will always be a variant, always be a bit of the virus going around. Maybe it'll become seasonal maybe not. But many places are removing restrictions because life has to go on at some point and we can't cripple ourselves because of a virus that is not really all that dangerous in the grand scheme of things.
These are a lot of words to avoid answering the point that it is irresponsible for Joe Rogan to give medical advice on his giant platform. You can appeal to the cold hand of Darwinism all you like, it doesn't make him less irresponsible. And pointing to malfeasance in corporate media is nothing more than a Huge Distracting Thing to change the subject. I have plenty of criticisms for corporate media, but I'm not talking about them in this thread because the thread is about Joe Rogan, not corporate media giants like Fox and CNN.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
These are a lot of words to avoid answering the point that it is irresponsible for Joe Rogan to give medical advice on his giant platform. You can appeal to the cold hand of Darwinism all you like, it doesn't make him less irresponsible
Was Fauci irresponsible when he said we didn't have to mask? Were any of those governors responsible for throwing maskless parties while telling everyone it was a bad idea?

Let's not pretend that Rogan was the peak of bad advice, and again, he NEVER told people what to do. He never told people to go do horse drugs, he never told anyone direct advice ever. If he did, post a clip. Post a clip of him specifically TELLING his audience to do a thing.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
THAT"S THE POINT OF HIS PODCAST!!!!

You wanna know why Rogan is so popular. Because his podcast is mostly him just shooting the shit and talking with his buddies. Yes sometimes he has real legit guests on and they talk about interesting facts. But much in the same way Howard Stern got popular being a racy little shock jock, it makes the listener feel like you're just talking bullshit with your friends. And usually that bullshit is exactly that, BULLSHIT.

People who take anything said on a podcast as serious advice, are fucking dumb. Period. You should never take advice from a radio show seriously ever. Now when Rogan talks about working out, you can probably reason that he knows WTF he's talking about there, or MMA, things he's well known for. But medical advice should only ever come from your doctor END OF STORY.

Except this anti-vax shit has been around and killing people long before Rogan came along. So a popular personality and "man of the people" who uses his platform to lend this harmful type of thinking even more credence is NOT just some innocent goofball. Anymore than Tucker Carlson is when his laywers label him as someone no sane person would take seriously, except that he has millions of people hanging on his every word.
No, really bad gun laws are.
Yes.
He's repeating a dangerous thought process that has killed people. To his millions of listeners. That IS his call to action.

Yes. I mean Christ, they're major NEWS networks so, fuck yes!
'There's a remarkably large anti-vax movement currently, and this one really, really popular podcast is hosted by someone who echos a lot of anti-vax rhetoric... Gee, I wonder if there's any correlation?'

Yes, let's just wash our hands of anything we say. Afterall, it's not like history has ever shown us that crowds can get swepped up by rhetoric.

Last edited:

Generals

Elite Member
May 19, 2020
You really don't see parallels between people saying potential treatments are horse pills, fish tank cleaner, or bleach injection and people saying vaccines contain mercury so they're poisonous...
No.
First because Ivermectin is (also) used for animals and people were actually buying Ivermectin from the local Vet, so yes some people were actually taking horse pills. What was considered fish tank cleaner? And Trump did suggest we should look into injecting disinfectant. Granted bleach is just one way to disinfect surfaces but injecting any kind of disinfectant is stupidly dangerous. And the main difference here is one being hyperbolic about bullshit while the other one is hyperbolic bullshit about proven vaccines which actually saves lives.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Was Fauci irresponsible when he said we didn't have to mask? Were any of those governors responsible for throwing maskless parties while telling everyone it was a bad idea?
We're not talking about them.

Let's not pretend that Rogan was the peak of bad advice, and again, he NEVER told people what to do. He never told people to go do horse drugs, he never told anyone direct advice ever. If he did, post a clip. Post a clip of him specifically TELLING his audience to do a thing.
This is simply naive. Persuasion is accomplished through far more than brute commands and you know it.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Here you go dude.

"If you're 21 years old and you say to me 'Should I get vaccinated?', I go NO."

"If you're a healthy person, and you're exercising all the time, and you're young, and you're eating well... I don't think you need to worry about this."

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Here you go dude.

"If you're 21 years old and you say to me 'Should I get vaccinated?', I go NO."

"If you're a healthy person, and you're exercising all the time, and you're young, and you're eating well... I don't think you need to worry about this."
Here is my crow that I am eating.

Although I wonder how many people qualify for that discription, let's be honest lol.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
You know what I spent the last hour doing? 'Discussing' with someone whether Joe Rogan was neutral. I cannot understand how anyone could call Rogan neutral but clearly they are the same ones who think Reuters is good
Yeah that's what's weird - reuters is well regarded and is considered unbiased and does fact checks on various misinformation, but the article headlines in the facebook newsfeed have often just felt a bit off in phrasing, like easy to lead to premature implication or something, even if the article itself is more careful. It could be a deliberate click-bait/engagement thing to serve the algorithm.
eg...
Most COVID-19 cases in Massachusetts outbreak among vaccinated, says CDC

"Only 4 vaccinated people were hospitalized with Covid-19.

Want people to click on your story? You need a killer headline. Clickbait works. But what if a clickbait headline misleads the public and potentially leads to more deaths around the world?

Multiple news outlets covered a Massachusetts Covid-19 outbreak in vaccinated people as detailed in the July 30 CDC’s Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.

Many of the headlines from well-respected media sources are inflammatory and scary. They are also misleading and miss a crucial point that every reader needs to know."

"On Monday, we were treated to another example of this from the venerable newswire Reuters, which prides itself on Objectively Relaying the Bare Facts, No Chaser.

The headline?

Most reported U.S. Omicron cases have hit the fully vaccinated -CDC
And how many cases were examined?

Of the 43 people, 34 were vaccinated."

Last edited:

Ender910

Apr 10, 2020
Ah yes, yet another lovely circlejerk fest on the Escapist, with the occasional yet weakly constructed arguments of a handful of detractors.

Ender910

Apr 10, 2020
Cheers for that. Maybe you could pop by next year?
Oh, you make a totally justified comeback. I've kept my mouth shut for too many years on here. Maybe because I've kept things pent up for so long that the only way I'd be able to direct a response is with sheer frustration and unfettered rage. Like how do I even begin with pointing out the number of mistaken and misconstrued details I see being constantly spewed around on these forums, for goddamned years.

How about this one for good measure: "Antivax". Not everyone that is concerned about these vaccines has an issue with the majority of vaccinations and immunizations. Not everyone formed this opinion because of one platform. The vaccines aren't necessarily going to be safe for everyone, there are people with medical conditions where it may be dangerous to their health. And being against vaccination mandates does not make one necessarily against this or other vaccines as a whole. Yes, I am fucking aware there is a tendency, but it is not an absolute. So tossing around labels as an accusation all the time is not only disingenuous, it oversimplifies things sheerly for the sake of pettiness and laziness.
^
Note that the above paragraph is not directed at you specifically. It's intended as a broader statement.

Last edited: