Microsoft buys Activision/Blizzard for $70B

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It’s amazing that the people behind awesome games like Nier, Astral Chain and Bayonetta made two shitty licensed games. They made a lot of great games but had to make licensed crap to keep the lights on.
At least Korra was $15. I never bought the game, but it's at least a 6/10. The Ninja Turtles game was no excuse however. The Activision still shares a large portion of the blame. What's even more infuriating now, is that you pretty much have to buy this crappy game at a high price if you want it. Transformers Devastation is awesome, but Activision butted in by overcharging. The game was originally going to be $19.99, but when I saw how much effort Platinum put into it they decided to add another $30. I pre-ordered the game and did some trade-ins so I wouldn't have to spend as much. I thought it was worth the price, but it's still a scummy practice. I made sure to get my money's worth though. That game I am never giving up. I bought an Xbox One copy for my brother, so he can enjoy it without borrowing mine.

Just a reminder to you and everyone else, Nier: Automata saved Platinum from going bankrupt. So they were definitely going through some rough times. They still have their partnerships with Nintendo and Square Enix (I do want them to ditch Square Enix though), so they should be fine. Plus, Platinum self-publishes some of their own games now.

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
Someone on resetera made a interesting post on this buy out.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
It’s amazing that the people behind awesome games like Nier, Astral Chain and Bayonetta made two shitty licensed games. They made a lot of great games but had to make licensed crap to keep the lights on.
Transformers Devastation was a fucking fantastic game, the hell are you talking about?

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
Transformers Devastation was a fucking fantastic game, the hell are you talking about?
Please pay attention to the word two. I said two, not three bro. The two I’m referring to is Legend of Korra and TMNT. I consider Devastation to be a good game.
And besides if I did, that be my opinion okay?!

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Someone on resetera made a interesting post on this buy out.

Eh…Microsoft has always more of a threat to themselves than Sony could ever pose to them. Whatever Sony’s been trying to secure via “money hatting” in regards to exclusivity is also a drop in the bucket next to their efforts of the past several generations actually building a stable of exclusives along with the first party studios making them. Something Microsoft has proven incapable of doing with every multibillion dollar purchase in the industry.

They’ve stumbled in the past to be sure, but Game Pass has given them a prime reason for staying in the game and capitalizing on it. Sony kicked the bull, and now the old, “If you can’t beat ‘em, buy ‘em” Microsoft is fully awake and ready to send massive ripple effects into next generation.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Eh…Microsoft has always more of a threat to themselves than Sony could ever pose to them. Whatever Sony’s been trying to secure via “money hatting” in regards to exclusivity is also a drop in the bucket next to their efforts of the past several generations actually building a stable of exclusives along with the first party studios making them. Something Microsoft has proven incapable of doing with every multibillion dollar purchase in the industry.

They’ve stumbled in the past to be sure, but Game Pass has given them a prime reason for staying in the game and capitalizing on it. Sony kicked the bull, and now the old, “If you can’t beat ‘em, buy ‘em” Microsoft is fully awake and ready to send massive ripple effects into next generation.
Which reminds me.

thestor

Dec 19, 2007
Quite a contrast to Electronic Arts though. Bioware made a greta Star Wars game. Electronic Arts has Bioware. Electronic Arts has Star Wars licence. Electronic Arts fumbles its intelligence check. Badly.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Well, that's hilariously dramatic.
Fyi, Cora is a small supermarket chain. The chance they actually have any PS5 stock is practically nil.
I was gonna ask if those stickers include a price drop on PS5's. Because I'd be happy to take a $250 PS5 off their hands. You know, so they can make more room for XBOXs. I'm charitable like that.

I've yet to see any evidence the A/B deal is making PS5's less sought after and thus easier to obtain.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
And Sony responds:
EDIT: and this piece of news was important enough for The Escapist to cover it, so as per Nick's small request about sharing news, the link has been updated.
The original link:

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
And Sony responds:
I dunno how popular Destiny is or how much the F2P model makes for them, but this seems like they've overpaid for the studio tbh. It's not like they do anything other than Destiny and there are other IP's linked to them, so it just seems like a limited purchase. Maybe they did it because they felt like they had to buy something.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
MS buy activision

Sony entertainment: Mom I want COD too!
Sony main office: We have COD at home.

The COD at home:

Reactions: Dalisclock

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
And Sony responds:
Huh.

I've seen a lot of headlines thrown around with titles like "Halo Studio Bought By Sony", including here on this website, but it really just highlights to me how weird game development "fame" is.

Its just odd how game developers don't really get famous like how the big names in TV or film do. Sure, there are exceptions, with Kojima being the obvious example, but most of the time it is the studio as an entity that gets famous. Like, Bungie made Halo, got famous for it, and are still constantly credited as the original creators of the franchise, regardless of whether many/any of the people who made Halo are still at the studio.

So sure, Bungie made Halo - Im sure they have a hallway with all of the memorabilia from the Halo days, and what have you - but is Bungie anything close to being the same studio that made Halo? I doubt it.

Also to note, Sony paid $3.5B for Bungie alone, whereas Microsoft paid $7.5B for all of Bethesda's studios. Bungie must have negotiated the crap out of that acquisition.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Thats kinda funny. Considering bungie just broke free of activison themselves.
Even funnier, Microsoft bought the company Bungie wanted to break free from, after they already broke free from them in the first place. THEN to top it all off, Bungie partners with Sony. It kinda speaks volumes.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Doesn’t surprise me in the least. Sometimes I wish Steam would just make a full fledged operating system so we could ditch Microsoft completely. Hell, that’s pretty much how Gaben started it all is because he got fed up with their BS when he worked for them.

I’ll also add it’s unlikely to happen but I’d like to see this deal blocked like Nvidia’s acquisition of ARM. Let Activision just call apart and have job placement into better companies for the good ones that had to suffer their bs. Microsoft doesn’t deserve to simply keep getting to buy their way to success in this industry at the expense of others.

Last edited: