Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Sterling time.
I thought the comment about Microsoft buying out the PlayStation brand was an odd one. PlayStation is a more recognizable and valuable brand than Xbox, apart from possibly in America. I expected the next logical step to be Sony buying one of the big third party studios to ensure access to their titles. Probably one of the ones whose titles are more associated with the PlayStation brand. Also: Microsoft isn't made out of money; purchasing Activision-Blizzard must've taken a big chunk from their budget; buying another big studio would only be viable if it turns out they can make the majority of that money back quickly.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
I thought the comment about Microsoft buying out the PlayStation brand was an odd one. PlayStation is a more recognizable and valuable brand than Xbox, apart from possibly in America. I expected the next logical step to be Sony buying one of the big third party studios to ensure access to their titles. Probably one of the ones whose titles are more associated with the PlayStation brand. Also: Microsoft isn't made out of money; purchasing Activision-Blizzard must've taken a big chunk from their budget; buying another big studio would only be viable if it turns out they can make the majority of that money back quickly.
And besides isn’t it nearly impossible for Microsoft to buy a Japanese publisher due to a law in Japan stating any foreign company can’t just buy a Japanese based studio. Besides I doubt any Japanese developer would commit economic suicide by joining up with a company who isn’t doing well in Japan.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I was just going to comment about it. This is where I disagree with Sterling. Sony's a big recognizable brand, plus they got money and other places to keep them funded and going. Microsoft is never buying out Nintendo either. I don't know why Sterling thinks otherwise. I've already said it, Nintendo has Pokemon and Mario. They have 99% of the constant market in japan. Plus, they buy back their own stocks every year, so they don't get bought out. Plus both of these companies are Japanese companies. It ain't happening. Also, Microsoft ain't buying Capcom, either. They still have their own personal dealings with Sony.

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
I’m no legal expert but can Microsoft really buy another Activision size publisher without running afoul of antitrust laws?

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

You’re overestimating how deep Sony’s pockets are, and underestimating how deep Microsoft’s pockets are.

Reactions: Bedinsis

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Well, here's a feature courtesy of The Escapist:

I’m no stock expert but there’s a part of that agreement that confuses me.

Despite the book-length contract, the actual mechanics of the deal are pretty simple — Microsoft agreed to buy all outstanding shares of Activision Blizzard at a rate of $95 per share. The rest of the contract basically serves one of three functions:

1. Assertions made by the parties to assure each other that both sides are getting what they agree to. For obvious reasons, Microsoft would not agree to purchase Activision if Activision were secretly on the brink of bankruptcy, or if it had undisclosed scandals that could negatively impact the value of its assets. Likewise, both parties want to make sure that their counterpart has authority to enter the agreement.

Activison stock closed at 65.39 before this deal, and has been hovering around that range for months. Why the hell would Microsoft be paying a nearly 50% premium on this, especially given their prospective subsidiary’s recently tattered ethical history?

More from Escapist on the subject -

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Activison stock closed at 65.39 before this deal, and has been hovering around that range for months. Why the hell would Microsoft be paying a nearly 50% premium on this, especially given their prospective subsidiary’s recently tattered ethical history?
If I had to wager a guess, Microsoft had to somehow convince the Activision Blizzard shareholder to sell their shares, and I don't think they're the kind of people who'd do that without making some good bank i.e. no way they'd let them go for market price. So Microsoft had to sweeten the pot. And I'm also guessing those shareholders demanded $95 per share because that's roughly what the shares went for before the shit hit the fan (and they subsequently lost a lot of money), so the sale was also an opportunity to recoup their losses and cash out.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This is a tricky situation to call, because while we saw that Microsoft lied about keeping all of Bethesda's properties multiplatform, Cawwa Doody is basically a money fountain, and MS's shareholders aren't going to want that spigot touched even a little bit.
We'll see how all this goes.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
This is a tricky situation to call, because while we saw that Microsoft lied about keeping all of Bethesda's properties multiplatform, Cawwa Doody is basically a money fountain, and MS's shareholders aren't going to want that spigot touched even a little bit.
They will leverage their ownership of the IP in the future, no doubt about that.

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
It’s amazing that the people behind awesome games like Nier, Astral Chain and Bayonetta made two shitty licensed games. They made a lot of great games but had to make licensed crap to keep the lights on.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
It’s amazing that the people behind awesome games like Nier, Astral Chain and Bayonetta made two shitty licensed games. They made a lot of great games but had to make licensed crap to keep the lights on.
They could have also, ya know, made licensed bangers.

Reactions: Hawki