The Shattered Elden Ring Thread: Tarnished Edition - (Shadow of the Erdtree p. 85)

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

I don't know if anyone watches the breakout podcast but this weeks is pretty much a big Elden Ring discussion

Also, youtube embed in case that's easier. I'm sure I could have just skipped to the youtube because Nick is probably too busy playing ER right now to notice if I didn't plug the site itself.

Last edited:

Brokencontroller

Elite Member
Dec 30, 2021
Country
usa
I am starting to take issue with these fucking reviewers who said this is the most accessible game From has made. Because if you have never played a souls game this game has a lot of very easy to stumble into insanely difficult bullshit. And if you follow the story path, the arguably first boss is ridiculous.

Reactions: BrawlMan

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I am starting to take issue with these fucking reviewers who said this is the most accessible game From has made. Because if you have never played a souls game this game has a lot of very easy to stumble into insanely difficult bullshit. And if you follow the story path, the arguably first boss is ridiculous.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

It’s kinda funny they’re ignoring the actual PS4 version, which has been running smoothly for me after a half dozen or so hours. Sekiro has more frame/loading hiccups IME and apparently so have others.

Phew, glad I encountered her last night.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland

It’s kinda funny they’re ignoring the actual PS4 version, which has been running smoothly for me after a half dozen or so hours. Sekiro has more frame/loading hiccups IME and apparently so have others.

Phew, glad I encountered her last night.
For a second I thought you were referring to Melina the *Snicker* Finger Maiden. Apparently if you refuse her, she's just show up over and over again when you rest to repeat the offer, so you're not boned if you say no. I guess it could be annoying if you're trying to play without leveling or getting torrent but you can always just accept the offer and then not do that.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
For a second I thought you were referring to Melina the *Snicker* Finger Maiden. Apparently if you refuse her, she's just show up over and over again when you rest to repeat the offer, so you're not boned if you say no. I guess it could be annoying if you're trying to play without leveling or getting torrent but you can always just accept the offer and then not do that.

It kinda makes me wonder why it’s presented as a choice in the first place, or how long anyone could reasonably refuse without locking themselves out of progression.

”I…I'm here…again…to offer you an accord…for the hundredth time. Please, please accept FFS. Why won’t you just say yes? Is it my weird eyelid? It’s that, isn’t it….”

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
It kinda makes me wonder why it’s presented as a choice in the first place, or how long anyone could reasonably refuse without locking themselves out of progression.

”I…I'm here…again…to offer you an accord…for the hundredth time. Please, please accept FFS. Why won’t you just say yes? Is it my weird eyelid? It’s that, isn’t it….”
I remember playing the old NES Rambo game back in the day. At the beginning, Rambo is in Prison for the shit he pulled in First Blood(like the movie) and his former CO says "I'll get you out of prison if you come do a special op for me" and the game gives you a choice to say YES/NO. Except you have to say YES, because if you say NO, he'll keep saying "The game doesn't start until you say YES" forever so I'm unsure why this is even offered as a choice. It's not a GOOD game, but it is a game which sells itself like this, so it does beg the question who would pick up a RAMBO game and choose the "Stay in Prison" option for anything but a "let's see what happens".

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I remember playing the old NES Rambo game back in the day. At the beginning, Rambo is in Prison for the shit he pulled in First Blood(like the movie) and his former CO says "I'll get you out of prison if you come do a special op for me" and the game gives you a choice to say YES/NO. Except you have to say YES, because if you say NO, he'll keep saying "The game doesn't start until you say YES" forever so I'm unsure why this is even offered as a choice.
"Choices matter!"

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Well, it was not to last. My framerate started lagging at random times similar to other PC player reports. At first I didn't care, and then I realized that framerate drops were causing my dodgerolls and blocks to not register during the fight against the cavalry knight. Seriously, the framerate was actually killing me. Dropping my settings down which helped a bit, now to just wait for a patch I guess.

I keep wanting to write things but with an open world game its hard to know what would be a spoiler and what wouldn't be. So instead I'm going to compile a small list of neat facts I've learned.

- If you smash the glowing skulls you get a small glowing rune. I spent the first few hours just booting them around for no reason.
- As tempting as it is to follow the path of light and go forward through the gate, if you turn a full 180 at the first outdoors grace there's a bunch of cool shit back there.
-There's a way down the cliff to the coast near the first grace, and you can find a merchant who sells decent shit. I'm not sure if he realizes why he gets no customers.
-If you find encampments built among ruins, guarded or not, there's a good chance you can find a cellar there which can lead to treasure or bosses. As far as I can tell thus far playing there are at least four bosses you can just completely miss this way reasonably close to the first outdoors grace. Beyond signs left by other players these don't seem to be signposted and all, and I don't think they're actually part of the story beyond lore.
-The game tells you about dung beetles that have flask refills, but there seems to be a third type that drops upgrade ash, although I haven't been able to confirm that as I'll just be killing shit and suddenly I'll get an item.

Anybody else find cool shit?

Brokencontroller

Elite Member
Dec 30, 2021
Country
usa
Well, it was not to last. My framerate started lagging at random times similar to other PC player reports. At first I didn't care, and then I realized that framerate drops were causing my dodgerolls and blocks to not register during the fight against the cavalry knight. Seriously, the framerate was actually killing me. Dropping my settings down which helped a bit, now to just wait for a patch I guess.

I keep wanting to write things but with an open world game its hard to know what would be a spoiler and what wouldn't be. So instead I'm going to compile a small list of neat facts I've learned.

- If you smash the glowing skulls you get a small glowing rune. I spent the first few hours just booting them around for no reason.
- As tempting as it is to follow the path of light and go forward through the gate, if you turn a full 180 at the first outdoors grace there's a bunch of cool shit back there.
-There's a way down the cliff to the coast near the first grace, and you can find a merchant who sells decent shit. I'm not sure if he realizes why he gets no customers.
-If you find encampments built among ruins, guarded or not, there's a good chance you can find a cellar there which can lead to treasure or bosses. As far as I can tell thus far playing there are at least four bosses you can just completely miss this way reasonably close to the first outdoors grace. Beyond signs left by other players these don't seem to be signposted and all, and I don't think they're actually part of the story beyond lore.
-The game tells you about dung beetles that have flask refills, but there seems to be a third type that drops upgrade ash, although I haven't been able to confirm that as I'll just be killing shit and suddenly I'll get an item.

Anybody else find cool shit?
Look for churches. Churchs will have the upgrade items for your flasks. More charges or more powerful heals.

Reactions: EvilRoy

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica

What if it's one of the pre-requisites for one of the endings?

You must refuse the finger maiden exactly 4 times as part of ending D. If you refuse her 3 or 5 times you will not be able to trigger the cutscene with Torrent in which he kicks a rock that opens a hidden illusurey wall off screen, which leads you to the secret knife which you have to use to kill the second to last boss inside of the Erd tree in order to complete ending D.

From Software ending requirements are such non-sense that I wouldn't be surprised.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Sorry not gonna read all the comments as I don't want spoilers. I started playing today in PC....mind not blown. It reminds me a lot of when they first tried to do resident evil online or fallout 76. Not nearly as buggy as those two, but with a distinct feeling that somethings..off. Like atmosphere and gameloop took a backseat to making the environment and engine work. I noticed I can now attack people and just..run away if I'm overwhelmed with no real consequences. The feeling of foreboding claustrophobia and mystery feels missing. When I started the game I could just..run around. The monsters and enemies also seems downgraded in terms of quality. There's no "oh shit!" or "wow" in the until area. If a dwarf was in the opening area and told me I needed to pick a guild and kill 5 birds for my first mission I could easily mistake this for a bog standard mmo.

I'll keep playing for a bit, but idk. I'm not really like locked in. I noticed someone else complaining about the stuttering. Yeah I'm rocking a 3080 and it runs like shit. Constant random slowdowns. Also am I crazy or does this not support ultrawide? It's saying 5280x1440 or whatever, but it's boxed 2650x1440. This is like the one game that should be ultrawide. It's looks like ass in this tiny resolution.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Sorry not gonna read all the comments as I don't want spoilers. I started playing today in PC....mind not blown. It reminds me a lot of when they first tried to do resident evil online or fallout 76. Not nearly as buggy as those two, but with a distinct feeling that somethings..off. Like atmosphere and gameloop took a backseat to making the environment and engine work. I noticed I can now attack people and just..run away if I'm overwhelmed with no real consequences. The feeling of foreboding claustrophobia and mystery feels missing. When I started the game I could just..run around. The monsters and enemies also seems downgraded in terms of quality. There's no "oh shit!" or "wow" in the until area. If a dwarf was in the opening area and told me I needed to pick a guild and kill 5 birds for my first mission I could easily mistake this for a bog standard mmo.

I'll keep playing for a bit, but idk. I'm not really like locked in. I noticed someone else complaining about the stuttering. Yeah I'm rocking a 3080 and it runs like shit. Constant random slowdowns. Also am I crazy or does this not support ultrawide? It's saying 5280x1440 or whatever, but it's boxed 2650x1440. This is like the one game that should be ultrawide. It's looks like ass in this tiny resolution.
Yeah, no official ultrawide support yet, but there's already mod you can use if you really want it (though you can't play online with it).

Not sure what's with the random stuttering because it's not something people talked about in the network test, which leads me to believe something broke between then and the release date that they'll probably end up fixing.

As you play more you'll find dungeons where you'll get into more of those foreboding environments where you can't just run past all of the enemies, but the overworld definitely doesn't have the same vibe of "everything is dangerous and will kill you dead" that From Software titles usually have. Of course you could always run past enemies in Dark Souls or Bloodborne with relative ease if you knew what you were doing, but it's so much easier here since the large open map really prevents you from accidently running yourself into a corner.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
More of a humor video but I figured why not.

I also get the distinct impression Fizhy has never played a FROM game before but he seemed to enjoy it.

Brokencontroller

Elite Member
Dec 30, 2021
Country
usa
I really wish that From would stop throwing shitloads of enemies at you. Their gameplay forumla does not work well when being gangbanged by mobs. I am in the castle and their is a courtyard with an unavoidable aggro on over seven fucking dudes at the same fucking time and my slow ass greatsword cannot deal with getting mobbed. Combined with how hyper aggro every enemy is, the shit doesnt work and is unfair for the sake of being unfair.