The Shattered Elden Ring Thread: Tarnished Edition - (Shadow of the Erdtree p. 85)

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Get the torches and pitchforks, guys!

Going to the airport when you could be playing games?

My job makes me travel during covid. But at least I got to spend a few days in a state with no mask mandates and that was freeing and a fun break from these itchy pieces of shit I wear constantly.

Anyway, Elden Ring seems good huh?

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
My job makes me travel during covid. But at least I got to spend a few days in a state with no mask mandates and that was freeing and a fun break from these itchy pieces of shit I wear constantly.

Anyway, Elden Ring seems good huh?
You don't need work. Just Elden Ring. Elden Ring is Life.

JOOOOIIIIINNNNN UUUUUUUSSSSSS!

In all seriousness, I haven't played it yet but the reviews are apparently really good. I haven't had a chance to watch any of them yet but I'm getting the impression from the titles and scores it's well liked.

I've already learned watching game stuff around my kid can be a bad idea because then she wants to play the game(aka watch me play it) and then ask me all the questions. My four year old knows about Souls now. SHE KNOWS ABOUT SOULS! *Air Raid Siren blares* I'm actually less worried she's gonna be scared by it then she's gonna ask me a lot of "Who's that? What does he do? Why does he do that?" and trying to explain FROM games to a 4 year old is probably harder then actually playing FROM games

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
"Who's that? What does he do? Why does he do that?" and trying to explain FROM games to a 4 year old is probably harder then actually playing FROM games
But what an awesome father daugther moment though. Spark that imagination and curiousity. Then make her fight Orphan of Kos! YOU GONNA LEARN TODAY KID!!!!

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
But what an awesome father daugther moment though. Spark that imagination and curiousity. Then make her fight Orphan of Kos! YOU GONNA LEARN TODAY KID!!!!
Oh, it is interesting/fun. But then she gets annoyed because I die a lot. SHE'S annoyed . I already learned this playing Cuphead with her and there was a lot of "You're bad at this game, daddy". You try beating this boss, kid. See how well YOU do.

If nothing else, we can make up stories for the bosses and such. I normally refer to the Dancer of the Boreal Valley as "Anorexic lady is hangry" and SIF is "Poor Puppy misses master"

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

The trophy list is out now for those who don't care about spoilers. Though bosses on the list are named and because they have no context they mean nothing to me. BLARG of YARTGBALERSNATCH defeated. Whatever.

Anyway, the take away for me is this is by far the easiest looking trophy list for any FromSoft game ever. There are a couple of collection related trophies, but the rest of the list is basically "Beat every boss in the game" type of stuff. Which is nice, because previous trophy-lists have forced you into playstyles that you might not like. Demon's Souls, for example, made you gather every spell in the game which forced you to level and play a certain class because that was the only way to get all the spells.

Easy of course is a relative term because I'm sure these bosses are hard and/or at the end of difficult dungeons.

Maybe the better term is straight-forward.

Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Welcome to the AAA industry. Pay $60-70+ for game that does not work, or the day 1 patch causes it to preform worse. Exactly why I wait on info for big releases. I remember when a patch/DLC pack for Ninja Gaiden II caused the game to crash at a certain cut scene. Unless, you skipped the cut-scene, or go in to your 360's hard drive and did a button combination, you would crashing every single time. That was during the 7th generation. It's generation 9, and the same shit keeps happening. This is why I abstain from most of this. Nothing against From Software, but y'all are better than this.

Brokencontroller

Elite Member
Dec 30, 2021
Country
usa
Welcome to the AAA industry. Pay $60-70+ for game that does not work, or the day 1 patch causes it to preform worse. Exactly why I wait on info for big releases. I remember when a patch/DLC pack for Ninja Gaiden II caused the game to crash at a certain cut scene. Unless, you skipped the cut-scene, or go in to your 360's hard drive and did a button combination, you would crashing every single time. That was during the 7th generation. It's generation 9, and the same shit keeps happening. This is why I abstain from most of this. Nothing against From Software, but y'all are better than this.
According to reports the patch is causing problems on pc only. The consoles seem to be fine. But who knows.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I watched the video, and thank you, but my point still stands.
I think the days of not needed day 1 patches are long behind us. I'd rather have a patch that tries to do final polish than have then release a fucked up game and ignoring it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'd rather have a patch that tries to do final polish than have then release a fucked up game and ignoring it.
I am of the "make sure game fucking works on day one with little hiccups, if I am paying X amount of $". I get things happen, but there is no excuse at this point. Or at all. It's why we still have this problem gaming. Gamers keep letting devs/pubs off too easy. I'll give From some slack, but by now, they should have it together. Also, a patch that makes the game run or play worse, does not motivate me to play or buy it. And only furthers my view that day 1 patches don't do shit, nor be the easy answer to everything. Especially when that game is charging full price.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Traded better fps for worse frame pacing issues from the sounds of it, which is par for the course considering they’re still using an engine rooted in the seventh gen. Hopefully this will be the last game on it. Was he only talking about the PC port? Guess I’ll find out tonight when I let ‘ER rip on the ol’ PS4 Slim.

See what I did there? HA!

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

The trophy list is out now for those who don't care about spoilers. Though bosses on the list are named and because they have no context they mean nothing to me. BLARG of YARTGBALERSNATCH defeated. Whatever.

Anyway, the take away for me is this is by far the easiest looking trophy list for any FromSoft game ever. There are a couple of collection related trophies, but the rest of the list is basically "Beat every boss in the game" type of stuff. Which is nice, because previous trophy-lists have forced you into playstyles that you might not like. Demon's Souls, for example, made you gather every spell in the game which forced you to level and play a certain class because that was the only way to get all the spells.

Easy of course is a relative term because I'm sure these bosses are hard and/or at the end of difficult dungeons.

Maybe the better term is straight-forward.
Ahh hell, you should know by now that these lists can be deceiving. The next thing we know a dozen of those bosses will require finding some obscure object that has you bending space and time to complete some long running, obtuse side quest before you can then finally fight them.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
. I get things happen, but there is no excuse at this point.
You realize that this statement is the exact same thing as saying. "Sometimes there are excuses for things, but there are no excuses for things to happen." lol.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
You realize that this statement is the exact same thing as saying. "Sometimes there are excuses for things, but there are no excuses for things to happen." lol.
Your point? From has got a high pedigree since Bloodborne and Sekiro. They're not the little studio that could any more.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

I’m not sure how much better further patches will make things, but we need to be realistic with expectations. Unless there’s untold info this is still the same old FROM engine, hobbled together with sticky white stuff and charcoal pine resin, and it’s being put through its paces and then some given the size of the game. Odds are it’ll never run perfectly but with any luck it’ll improve beyond review code overall, which apparently wasn’t that bad given the scores.

Bottom line though is FROM needs to focus on new engine tech before making their next game.

Last edited:

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
You know what, I'm tempted by this to see if I can get into From Software's "most accessible" game, but I'll wait until it gets to be about £10 - £15.

Reactions: BrawlMan