The Shattered Elden Ring Thread: Tarnished Edition - (Shadow of the Erdtree p. 85)

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I just got a flail myself, and on horseback with the R2...

datass.jpg

Oh, and I got some red square underneath my bars with a little downward arrow, which I assume is somekind of negative status effect, but unfortunately the game is too much of a masterpiece to tell what the fuck it means.

Just press L2.
I'll try that out.

Brokencontroller

Elite Member
Dec 30, 2021
Country
usa
I just got a flail myself, and on horseback with the R2...

View attachment 5734

Oh, and I got some red square underneath my bars with a little downward arrow, which I assume is somekind of negative status effect, but unfortunately the game is too much of a masterpiece to tell what the fuck it means.

I'll try that out.
The red square is because you let that hooker hug you and now you have aids. You are stuck for life with it oh well.

Just kidding use the consumable item she gave you and itll go away unless you let her hug you again.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The red square is because you let that hooker hug you and now you have aids. You are stuck for life with it oh well.

Just kidding use the consumable item she gave you and itll go away unless you let her hug you again.
Well fuck, I don't even remember what I got from her that I need to use.

Also, what does it actually negatively effect?

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

I know she gives a blessing, I didn't realize there was also a debuff invovled. I'm just a sucker that let her give me a hug because it seemed sweet.

Well played, Miyazaki. Well played.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Well fuck, I don't even remember what I got from her that I need to use.

Also, what does it actually negatively effect?
Your total HP is slightly less. I've had that debuff the entire game because I got my hug early on and I just didn't notice any negative effect so I kept on trucking.

Gotta say for my part I was lukewarm on this whole crafting gig but now I'm absolutely loving it. I always had a hard time with consumables in Souls games because it was usually pretty arduous to get more shit. Even if you didn't have to farm for it there was a decent chance you would have to teleport to a place and fuck around a bit to find the merchant to be able to buy more if they even sold infinite stacks.

Now, I just have a pocket full of all sorts of different shit, and if I see a boss that would benefit from a greasy knife up the butt or to be turned into a reverse porcupine with poison darts I can just spend a minute mass producing consumables and go for it. The only downside is that Limgrave is now free of sheep and those little lemur creatures that zip around. You need thin bones for arrows and darts which I burn through like candy.

I'm actually just figuring out the ashes of war thing as well though. As far as I can tell, it works like making things "keen" or "heavy" did in other games. Applying an ash gives you an LT ability for a weapon that works if you two-hand or your shield doesn't have an ability of its own. Your phys damage will typically drop, but scaling will improve, or you get magic/lightning/etc damage. That said I'm more than 50 hours in and at no point have I actually needed to do this. I wouldn't mind a lightning spear I guess, but I already have this sweet madness spear and I have all sorts of grease anyway.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
An idea perhaps for future soulsborne games that might help reduce the troll messages a little: what if...any wall shaped suspiciously enough to encourage posting such messages could be turned in to an enemy mimic that devours your character every time you try to lay down a note, spitting you back out across the room with half your health left? And if the ability to kill them is necessary, merely make it so their corpse melts in to an odd shape that blocks any attempt at laying a normal looking message for others? Seems cheeky enough to fit in with the series' style I reckon.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I know she gives a blessing, I didn't realize there was also a debuff invovled. I'm just a sucker that let her give me a hug because it seemed sweet.

Well played, Miyazaki. Well played.
I suspected it would negatively trigger or untrigger something later on, like a door not opening or a special weapon getting locked off cuz Souls, but I thought 'fuck it'. When going into this game I decided I wasn't going to play its little... game, where I'm constantly on eggshells regarding any choice I make.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I personally think it worked in the game's favor. Unless properly implemented, almost every swimming in games has been slow af. Like, holy-shit-I-need-to-get-out-of-water-right-now slow. It may have allowed more freedom of exploration, but there really isn't much to explore by swimming across water. The Tarnished one already gets slowed down when the water level is waist level. Do you really want to slowly swim around only to find nothing of interest there?

As for ashes of war, you can activate it by pressing LT/L2 on your controller. If you are holding different weapons in each hand, it will prioritize the AOW of the main hand, aka the weapon on the right hand.

The logistics of build types and being able to swim or not probably made it not worth pursuing as a mechanic. Like, I'm sure sorcery garbs wouldn't have an issue but what about anything with solid armor, plus shields, swords, etc. Granted it is fantasy genre but that might be pushing suspension of disbelief a bit too far when there's still an encumbrance factor to consider on land.

The horsey really makes all the difference, the sense of speed and the double jump makes traversal a real joy. This is something most open-world games (with mounts) always seem to neglect - They give you a horse for speed, but than make managing this horse (having to get off to grab stuff, or because it can't make it over certain terrain, and than having to travel back to your horse because you got too far for you to call it to you) a nuisance. Here the horse is just with you instantly, and you don't even need to press a button to mount it since it'll just materialize underneath you. And horse combat is also very satisfying as it actually gives you a solid edge against enemies, something no Souls previously ever granted you. I really like charging in and out and then back into a fight. It's very reminiscent of The Witcher 3 honestly, and it makes fighting multple enemies truly fun. Good job on the horsey Fromsoft.

The open-world is alright. So far I'm not really pursuing any real objective or direction, I'm just going wherever the world or my eye leads me to. It certainly hasn't utterly captured my imagination the way Breath of the Wilds' open-world has, but it has a similar sense of freedom to explore by way of keeping the world overall very mysterious.

Not being able to swim is fucking stupid though. Like, this isn't 2007 anymore, okay; you make an open-world with water in it, you put swimming in. Having you character just instantly sink to the bottom and die is dumb.

Also, I have no real clue what the Ashes of War or whatever are for. I strapped it to one of my weapons, which I guess did more than just improve some states, but if it added a special move, fuck if I know how to access it. Just another one of those obtuse Fromsoft things that I suppose is there for you to discover things on your own, but where most everyone will just look it up on youtube because of how freaking obtuse it is, making the whole way of including it meaningless.
Just press L2.
There is a caveat with that though, where having a shield equipped with a parry function means it will override the skill. So you either need to two-hand your weapon or unequip the shield to use it. However the No Skill offered at the Merchant near Stormveil is cool because if applied to a shield you can use your primary skill without needing to do so.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Your total HP is slightly less. I've had that debuff the entire game because I got my hug early on and I just didn't notice any negative effect so I kept on trucking.

Gotta say for my part I was lukewarm on this whole crafting gig but now I'm absolutely loving it. I always had a hard time with consumables in Souls games because it was usually pretty arduous to get more shit. Even if you didn't have to farm for it there was a decent chance you would have to teleport to a place and fuck around a bit to find the merchant to be able to buy more if they even sold infinite stacks.

Now, I just have a pocket full of all sorts of different shit, and if I see a boss that would benefit from a greasy knife up the butt or to be turned into a reverse porcupine with poison darts I can just spend a minute mass producing consumables and go for it. The only downside is that Limgrave is now free of sheep and those little lemur creatures that zip around. You need thin bones for arrows and darts which I burn through like candy.

I'm actually just figuring out the ashes of war thing as well though. As far as I can tell, it works like making things "keen" or "heavy" did in other games. Applying an ash gives you an LT ability for a weapon that works if you two-hand or your shield doesn't have an ability of its own. Your phys damage will typically drop, but scaling will improve, or you get magic/lightning/etc damage. That said I'm more than 50 hours in and at no point have I actually needed to do this. I wouldn't mind a lightning spear I guess, but I already have this sweet madness spear and I have all sorts of grease anyway.

Same with the hug lol. I figured it can't be completely innocent, but whatever it affected the second time must've flew over my head. Some extra info about it, as it seems like one of those situational things -

At least you can just use the blessing item in inventory to remove the debuff easily enough, kinda like the Demon Bell in Sekiro.

I really don't mind the crafting system either, as it's pretty much effortless to pick up materials wherever go since it happens instantly, and you can then make stuff on the fly once you find/buy the appropriate cookbooks. No more grinding souls and having to make special trips to select locations to buy overpriced consumables.

I also haven't used many Ashes of War yet, as I don't like the idea of lowering base damage that much until I'm deeper into a build type. Once in a while I'll use Determination, which is helpful on charged/jumping R2's to set up critical hit chances against tougher enemies.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
There are bosses and other larger enemies where the wikis specifically instruct to not use lock on because the attack animations can be detrimental to positioning dealing with the camera. I had to fight the hardest boss (IMO) in Bloodborne, Ebrietas in the cursed root chalice dungeon this way to kill it for example. And again, locking on isn’t so difficult. Just one click and flick to change targets, but it’s up to the player to determine when it’s best to use. A cluster will be harder to target since they’re all close together, but if you’re directly attacking a weaker mob then locking is kinda pointless as it focuses damage on only one of them vs the group. The game gives enough tools to approach practically any encounter effectively and it’s partly why there are so many different weapons in the game with different attack types. You wouldn’t use a spear against a mob; switch to a halberd, sword, ax, etc. that has a better way to attack horizontally. Or again, just use any number of spells, pyro, miracle, etc. Or aggro with a projectile to split up a group and focus on the toughest one first, etc. I’m not going to repeat myself any more on this issue as it gets exhausting.

I get not finding mobs fun to fight and agree they can be nuisances, but that’s why they’re typically early game stuff, and not worth always dealing with unless they have a specific drop needed. Hence being able to easily run past them easily. If the game only had bosses it would feel pretty empty, and these games are as much about world building and lore as anything else. SotC got away with being minimalist, but even then it got old when more than half the time spent was just riding around emptiness, holding your sword up as a compass.

Maybe I’ll try it someday if it’s ever a PS+ title, but I have way too much else unplayed as it is to start something that sounds like a huge time sink. Most of the complaints I’ve heard revolve around the end game being where all the good stuff is, so that’s a huge commitment just to try something and hope to like it. I’m sure I could get an idea of the mechanics early on but like, everything I’ve seen on it looks like the character is the equivalent of a tank build from Souls games.
BB kinda fixed mob combat a decent amount by giving weapons more sweep to them. Well, at least the ones I used in DS1 and BB. I explored the weapon space more in BB because how weapons didn't scale as much with your weapon stat so I explored more weapons. I also kinda feel like you got more upgrade stones early in BB so you can try a bunch of weapons (and get them upgraded) in the 1st quarter to 3rd to half of the game and then pick what you liked best to upgrade them to the higher levels. And of course, each weapon in BB was basically 2 weapons so that naturally helped in trying out more weapon styles. In DS1, I feel like you had to plan more ahead like I did a dex character and like maybe 4 weapons ended up getting to S scaling with dex so I picked from like those 4 what I liked best. With the lock-on, if I want to have my character move to say backwards I have to be locked-on or my character turns around. That's been my issue with Souls lock-on since the very start and I don't think any other games (besides maybe other Souls likes) has this issue in like 20 years of gaming.

To me, Souls has too many enemies because one of the things it does well is atmosphere and tension, and when you have enemies around basically every corner, it loses tension. I just expect an enemy around every corner so when there is one there (which is more times than not), it's not surprising or an "oh shit" moment. Having something not there can be as effective as having something there like horror movies that limit how much you actually see the monster (like Jaws). I'm not saying Souls should be SotC with only bosses but there's a happy medium. The encounters are most interesting when there's some kind of uniqueness to the encounter like getting to that guy that's shooting at you in that section in BB and fighting enemies on the way to that one castle or mansion where if you stay in the open to long you get that frenzy status effect.

I really don't get how the endgame of MHW is where the game gets good. Maybe if you really really really love the game, the endgame might be the best part. I find the endgame rather disappointing, very limiting and very grindy. Maybe for MH vets, they feel like the everything before endgame is just going through the motions, but I didn't. But those are probably the people that want to get to endgame builds as fast as possible too. You should just go in treating it like a normal game looking to just beat the story and if you really like it, you can keep going on like forever if that's your jam. If you get to and beat the T-Rex monster and you're not liking it, it's not really going to change much or get tons better (the game won't really change but maybe you'd need more time for it to "click" on your end). The T-Rex is the game's first "armor check" to where you'll get destroyed if you don't have decent enough armor and it's like the 1st "boss" monster in a sense. IIRC I was still using the 1st beginning armor until that fight because I didn't have reason to get better armor. I don't get why you think you need to do a tank build in MHW, I always put just about everything into offense vs defense. You basically just want enough defense to not get OHKOed by certain attacks. With my hammer build, I had a skill on there so minor attacks wouldn't "flinch" my character in middle of doing a combo, but that was basically it for defense skills. There is a sword and shield weapon that you can use, I'm assuming that weapon would be wanting a tank build (I don't know as I haven't played with that weapon at all). One of my main 3 weapons I used was the insect glaive and that's not gonna be a tank build (watch a video on that weapon). You also have options like the bow (that's very movement based, tons of dashing), dual-wielded daggers, a giant ass katana that all are very offensive playstyles. Also, the game's standard roll has no i-frames (there's actually a skill to add i-frames to the roll) as I think you were the one that hates i-frames, there's a "superman" dive move has tons of i-frames but that's used situationally obviously.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Love Souls games. Love George R. R. Martin.

Fucking adore Elden Ring.

About 30 hours or so in now. It's taken some of the very best design elements from DS3, Sekiro, and even some visual design cues from Bloodborne at times. Playing it is an absolute addictive delight, and I've sunk 5+ hours into it in a sitting... The hours melt away.

Chupathingy

CONTROL Agent
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
They nailed the atmosphere of Caelid. It really feels like you're descending into some war-torn hellscape.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I mean, maybe they like it in the same way people like Yarnhem? Not a Nice place to visit but an atmospheric one?

Then again I haven't reached Caelid yet so who am I to comment?
Well, let’s just say you’ll know when you get there, and will be glad to have a giddy-up with you.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

FROM can probably make anything they want at this point with that kind of dosh rolling in.

Not only did it beat out Horizon Forbidden West, but it also did better than Battlefield 2042 and Far Cry 6.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US

FROM can probably make anything they want at this point with that kind of dosh rolling in.

Not only did it beat out Horizon Forbidden West, but it also did better than Battlefield 2042 and Far Cry 6.
It's almost as if putting actual time and effort into making a good single player game is profitable! /s

Hell, even HFW did better than BF2042!