The Shattered Elden Ring Thread: Tarnished Edition - (Shadow of the Erdtree p. 85)

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Look it's quite possible that I'm crazy. I could be the only dickhead who thinks ER is overblown as fuck and everyone else loves it to death. I mean I dunno. i think i've laid out all I've got in my tank about why I think this whole thing was a flop to me. But hey, I don't fault people for liking it. People like Breath of the Wild too and I can't fathom why because I think that game is a pile of dicks. But I get that people can like it and i just don't have that kind of taste I guess i dunno. It's fine.

I mean, my first post in the thread encapsulated it as a Good, but struggling to be great game. And speculated that once the initial open-world souls shine falls off, its probably gonna slide down the rankings.

But common concerns are expressed in the reddit and so on. Length has definitely come up. The endgame being very truncated and linear (if you compare the Mountain Top of the Giants zone to for instance, Limgrave, or even the Weeping Peninsula, the drastic drop in amount of content goes. Reused bosses is a massive complaint across the board.

Lack of NPC directions come up a lot too. People noticed almost immediately that Nepheli/Kenneth had a broken quest left in the game, and whie the initial "we're patching it in" was heralded, it was pretty obviously a bandaid fix. Seluvis and Selenns questline being janky has also been noted.

Mechanically. Well they patched Radahns unintended overlapping hitboxes, but there's a still a large dog that hits you 17 times per swing because of a technical screwup (related to it being a reused rig of a small dog, no less). I have never been one to say Souls hitboxes were accurate, as its often laughably untrue and dodge rolling patches over the gaps a lot, but thats a level of weirdly off polish for being their bread and butter. Later bosses one shots and stuff like Mohg's gimmick attack (which requires completing an easily missable questline to counter) also get a lot of flak. As does the tendency of bosses to just have jump backs and warps to get immediately across the arena.

Build disparity is another common gripe. There is so much Intelligence scaled gear by an order of magnitude to Faith, or Arcane. And sorcery is both raw DPS higher by miles, and barely anything resists magic (most things are weak to it), while Fire and Holy are the most resisted items (the final boss is literally healed if you hit it with Holy, so if thats your build hopefully you thought to sideline in one of the fire faith weapons). Bleed is king, out DPSing anything again by an order of magnitude unless its outright immune, just chunking off ~15% of the health bar every 3-5 hits. Madness and Deathblight literally do nothing in PvE, even on targets like invaders when it should.

Reactions: Dalisclock

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Yeah, some of these people I'm still trying to find. Eyeball Lady I've yet to encounter her again after seeing her for the first time near Stormviel. Rya it took me forever to find the 'Right down the road" house she was talking about.

At least Wolfy man Blaidd I can kind of track and i'm not gonna lie, I like hanging with him.

I bumped into Alexander the Onion Pot in a fucking dungeon somewhere(not even a required one) and just.....HOW THE FUCK DID YOU EVEN GET DOWN HERE MAN? And I have no idea where to go to find him again. I want to do ER organically but I also don't want to break these questlines because I kinda like these characters....well, some of them anyway. So there I go to the wiki again.

I keep telling myself I'm gonna storm bogwarts and demand to speak to their manager about why my wizard application keeps getting rejected(Something something vagabond can't do magic) but I keep getting distracted with the side stuff. I finally went down to the underdark because Blaidd was investigating down there and.....yeah, that's a whole area in itself. And Apparently a higher level one I'm still not quite ready for.

Oh, and since somebody is gonna post it eventually, Vaati has weighed in.

Oh that might help with this one I just saw -

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
I've not played Elden Ring (yet,) but this sounds like a problem if it has translated from traditional FromSoft games to a truly open world FromSoft game. At least in the Dark Souls titles, ambiguity was acceptable because there were only so many places one could go before hitting a brick wall and exploring elsewhere (except Dark Souls 2 which literally halted progress unless you thought to return to an area that was little more than an unnamed transition area between two other major areas after they've offered bonfire teleportation from the jump making senseless traversal completely pointless,) but if there's a completely open world and guidance isn't repeated, then... fuck?

Reminds me of Morrowind. While I love the game dearly, the journal being the only chronical of what you've learned, and often having to flip through dozens of pages to find clues of cardinal directions that someone somewhere mentioned hours ago in a place you're no longer standing was frustrating at times. There's difficulty, then there's manufactured difficulty; the former I don't mind; the latter just feels like a dick move for dick moves' sake. Wasn't there a Metal Gear title that required you plug your controller into the 2nd-player port to defeat a boss? Like, who'd think to do that??? Clever gimmick, but a cheap one nonetheless.
You know honestly I likened it to Morrowind myself, and my buddy who has never enjoyed previous From titles referred to it as "Skyrim except the combat doesn't suck and there are no quest markers". I agree that the game is definitely a little dicky when it comes to figuring out what to do or where to go, but as part of the wiki stuff a lot of people are working to figure out quest-failure flags and honest to goodness, there are very few things that fail individual quests.

In older DS games you had to meet an NPC at every stop in order to progress their quest, but in ER it seems like there are a lot of incidental encounters you're allowed to have or not have. Dalisclock mentioned running into the Onion Jar in a dungeon, but as far as I can tell that's just a fun meeting you can have, and its not necessary at all to progress his quest - I think you only actually have to meet him three times to finish his quest but its really hard to confirm this stuff when some quests run to basically the endgame.

Other quests are ridiculously loose in terms of how far you can get before there's no turning back, and a couple of their ending flags are basically just story elements of other peoples quests. I did one quest and after progressing it I found another guy who gives a quest stone cold dead. After corresponding with other wiki dorks we basically confirmed that as story elements some quests carry allegiances and that involves enemies of that allegiance getting axed as the quest progresses. That's probably hard on people who want to do everything in their first run, and its only semi-avoidable, but considering the multitude of endings it makes sense that now and then you have to commit.

The frustrating quests seem to really be hooked into some of the broken/incomplete quests that were part of release. That does suck, but frankly there is an army of NPCs in this game compared to other DS titles, with many matching quests, so it feels like it was destined to fall apart at some stage.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Oh that might help with this one I just saw -

I mean, other then the Reset Everything and break the cycle ending being kind of unequivocally bad in this one. I could just do the name replace meme with the Dark Souls background on this one.

Brokencontroller

Elite Member
Dec 30, 2021
Country
usa
I mean, other then the Reset Everything and break the cycle ending being kind of unequivocally bad in this one. I could just do the name replace meme with the Dark Souls background on this one.
This is why i think it would be interesting to see Fromsoft tackle a different approach to game design. Quests that make sense and follow a clear story. An overall lore that isnt doom and gloom. Maybe even some other than fantasy entirely. Something to shake shit up.

The obtuse stuff just gets old and frankly everytime i play a Fromsoft game i immediately dont care about story, quests, or lore. I just wanna fight shit and get maidens or whatever.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Eh, speedruns are always boring to me when they rely entirely on glitches. Clever applications of game mechanics sure. But when you have to quit and reload the game all the time it just gets dull.
Thats true, but there are people doing all major boss runs in under 2 hours as well. I think Distortion already does those and I know Ejaiaz does as well. I personally find challenge runs more entertaining because the showcase of patience some people have is quite frankly insanity.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
A “mind map” from Vaati’s lore video -

I’d imagine most of the 143k and-counting upvotes were from that alone.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Any STR builds out there?

I mean, it’s kinda obvious even with a DEX build that J>R2 is the go-to fuckit button. I imagine the right combo of talisman and ashes makes it even closer to spell spam territory.

Reactions: EvilRoy

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Any STR builds out there?

I mean, it’s kinda obvious even with a DEX build that J>R2 is the go-to fuckit button. I imagine the right combo of talisman and ashes makes it even closer to spell spam territory.
I've been full STR all game. It was definitely a learning curve to come to terms with the fact that tanking is pretty much useless in this game, but I have the biggest damn shield in the whole world and a wide selection of swords ranging from "excessively large" to "misused architecture" which I have been slapping a lot of enemies around with to great effect. It doesn't always work out easily, but I stagger most bosses after a few swings and it feels good. You can't avoid at least some points into DEX/FAI to get to use some of the most fun weapons but I don't mind it. I think of it as having faith in my bulging muscles, and dexterity in my axe swinging arm.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
A “mind map” from Vaati’s lore video -

Is imagine most of the 143k and-counting upvotes were from that alone.
'
Think your attachments broke.

But eh, Gwyn/Marika led their Knights/Numen Warriors, against the Dragons to take the power of the Elden Ring/Flame. Their kids all became demigods. They eventually corrupt. In both cases their minions become Black Knights/Knifes. The Ring/Flame gets corrupted. The dead start rising because of this, called on a quest to relight/rebuild it by an unknown external force.

I mean, they got slightly better at writing a handful of inter-connections between the bosses other then "hey we all stole the thing from the dragons that time" I'll give them that.

I think the game could've been much stronger if we'd played during the Shattering, rather then having all these events go on in the backstory. If the Godefrey the Golden was besieging Leyndell actively instead the giant empty battlefield with him locked in an evergaol. And Melanias forces were still fighting Radahns in Caelid rather then Radahn zombie-grunting in the desert while his men still hang out and get eaten by tyrannosaur dogs with no apparent motivation to do so, and Melania hides 800 miles away as a secret-ish boss. Mohg kidnapped Miquella and apparently no one cared either.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Brokencontroller

Elite Member
Dec 30, 2021
Country
usa
'

But eh, Gwyn/Marika led their Knights/Numen Warriors, against the Dragons to take the power of the Elden Ring/Flame. Their kids all became demigods. They eventually corrupt. In both cases their minions become Black Knights/Knifes. The Ring/Flame gets corrupted. The dead start rising because of this, called on a quest to relight/rebuild it by an unknown external force.

I mean, they got slightly better at writing a handful of inter-connections between the bosses other then "hey we all stole the thing from the dragons that time" I'll give them that.

I think the game could've been much stronger if we'd played during the Shattering, rather then having all these events go on in the backstory. If the Godefrey the Golden was besieging Leyndell actively instead the giant empty battlefield with him locked in an evergaol. And Melanias forces were still fighting Radahns in Caelid rather then Radahn zombie-grunting in the desert while his men still hang out and get eaten by tyrannosaur dogs with no apparent motivation to do so, and Melania hides 800 miles away as a secret-ish boss. Mohg kidnapped Miquella and apparently no one cared either.
Fromsoft could take their games to a whole new level if they stopped doing lore and started doing actual story. I mean Sekiro has a stroy somewhat and it seemed like that qould be the direction they would go with future games, especially with a story powerhouse like Martin on board.

Instead they wrote a bunch of fucking lore again. Didnt Miyazaki say he didnt want to make Dark Souls games anymore? Why the fuck did he make another Dark Souls game then? The combat style didnt have to change, they could have made Souls combat in a more dtory based RPG with real quests and plot that carried the player around the world.

But then again all that voice acting would get expensive and they wouldnt be able to cut so many corners...

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Completed it yesterday. Now mopping up trophies, and still have to beat Malenia.

Final fight(s) were great. Hated Hoarah Loux, he can fuck off, but the 2 afterwards were excellent.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Interesting because it seems a pretty common complaint that the Elden Beast is a dogshit fight. Glad you enjoyed it though.
A common complaint seemed to be the camera, which doesn't handle the big bosses so well. Maybe I was just lucky, but the camera served me fine in that fight. I kept switching the target lock on and off as it suited me throughout the fight, rather than just leaving it one way; maybe that was what helped.

I did have camera issues with several of the dragons, though, I have to admit. I'd be under them and the camera would swoop into their torso and I'd have no idea where I was in relation to the boss. So I know the camera can definitely muck up with the big'uns.

Reactions: CriticalGaming

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
'

It’s an mp4 file but looks like it still works. Not sure if other settings need to be enabled to view or something? *edit* It might be an html plugin issue on the forum because it only plays on Imgur now.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
A common complaint seemed to be the camera, which doesn't handle the big bosses so well. Maybe I was just lucky, but the camera served me fine in that fight. I kept switching the target lock on and off as it suited me throughout the fight, rather than just leaving it one way; maybe that was what helped.

I did have camera issues with several of the dragons, though, I have to admit. I'd be under them and the camera would swoop into their torso and I'd have no idea where I was in relation to the boss. So I know the camera can definitely muck up with the big'uns.
I think the bigger complaint about beast is that it is a constant bullshit chase for melee characters. The whole fight is running and very little actual fighting. I personally didn't think it was that bad, but i can see how people really dislike the fight because running around can be annoying.