The Shattered Elden Ring Thread: Tarnished Edition - (Shadow of the Erdtree p. 85)

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Notes -
im surprised. it's mostly buffs to things. Minor buffs like decreased fp cost or whatever, but still, buffs. I feel like a lot of that is designed to bring the power of bad arts and spells up a bit to make them mroe viable.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Last edited:

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
im surprised. it's mostly buffs to things. Minor buffs like decreased fp cost or whatever, but still, buffs. I feel like a lot of that is designed to bring the power of bad arts and spells up a bit to make them mroe viable.

Apparently Melanias broken now though and heals with every attack whether she hits you or not

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
mimic tear with a bleed build, no problem :)
They nerfed bleed builds in the patch, you might have noticed. Arcane scaling no longer effects status buildup both on weapons and with the two arcane casting widgets (and a more direct nerf to the swarm of flies. RIP my Dipteran brothers in arms)

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
They nerfed bleed builds in the patch, you might have noticed. Arcane scaling no longer effects status buildup both on weapons and with the two arcane casting widgets (and a more direct nerf to the swarm of flies. RIP my Dipteran brothers in arms)
just on a couple of spells. This has no effect on the katana's or more specifically River's Of Blood and the Corpse Piler ability.

BLEEEEEEED!!!!!

Reactions: Dalisclock

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
just on a couple of spells. This has no effect on the katana's or more specifically River's Of Blood and the Corpse Piler ability.

BLEEEEEEED!!!!!

• Fixed a bug where the animation when inflicted with blood loss and frostbite was bigger than originally planned.

To elaborate, no more stunlock. You pull that on Melania and she'll just keep coming at you swinging and healing.

By and large, the Bleed == Win button on bosses was based on that ability to lock them out of actions (in PvP the damage may still carry, depends on your opponents Vigor really. But PvP balance has been a lost cause since DS1 and ER takes that up by several orders of magnitude)

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Well, I started the game yesterday!
Man, I have mixed feelings.
The biggest positive is simply that I love FromSoftware games because nothing else offers this particular experience and this is sure one of them. Hard as hell, confusing and weird.

Biggest negative is that it's not Sekiro, whose combat I love so much that the illogical part of my brain can't fathom why they'd want to go "backwards."

But the second biggest negative is that it feels scary too big for me. Yeah you can go anywhere but everywhere is death and cave entrances are hard to see.
Third biggest negative is that caves are dark and I can't use shield because I need to use a torch- that is some Dark Souls 2 bullshit I could have lived without.

Positive is how the caves/tombs are small and the bosses are beatable. I beat two of them before leveling up a single attribute.

I think what's going to frustrate me is the collision of all the systems with the bigness of the world. One cave had a boss that's like, TWO bosses, PLUS a gank squad. I'm level 9 with an estoc designed to poke one thing, how the hell am I supposed to beat a gang? Well I was lucky enough to summon a helpful co-op person and my doggies. Thank goodness I am also paying for the PlayStation online service, I guess, but that is some B.S. IMO.

When I was reading about starting classes, the internet was like "magic is great except for bosses" which, lol, f u FromSoftware. I was going to be a pure mage until multiple web sites told me that, now I'm greedily gonna go for hybrid. That's why I love Sekiro- sword for everything. I know lots of folks love all the items, stats, build stuff so opinions and tastes and blah blah but that stuff is the least interesting, I just wanna fight and win.

I am struggling with the visual palette- I can't see entrances and bonfires and such so I'll be relying heavily on online guides, whatever.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
  • Fixed a bug where the animation when inflicted with blood loss and frostbite was bigger than originally planned.

To elaborate, no more stunlock. You pull that on Melania and she'll just keep coming at you swinging and healing.

By and large, the Bleed == Win button on bosses was based on that ability to lock them out of actions (in PvP the damage may still carry, depends on your opponents Vigor really. But PvP balance has been a lost cause since DS1 and ER takes that up by several orders of magnitude)
meh i platinumed the game already so im not worryed about it no more lol.

Brokencontroller

Elite Member
Dec 30, 2021
Country
usa
So many spell and weapon changes today but not one mention of, "we fixed the dumbass boss ai".

Fix the important shit please.

FennecZephyr

Legacy
Apr 12, 2020
Country
United States
But the second biggest negative is that it feels scary too big for me. Yeah you can go anywhere but everywhere is death and cave entrances are hard to see.
Third biggest negative is that caves are dark and I can't use shield because I need to use a torch- that is some Dark Souls 2 bullshit I could have lived without.
You can buy a hip lantern that lets you see in dark environments.

Not as bright as a torch, but that's kind of the point.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Well, I started the game yesterday!
Man, I have mixed feelings.
The biggest positive is simply that I love FromSoftware games because nothing else offers this particular experience and this is sure one of them. Hard as hell, confusing and weird.

Biggest negative is that it's not Sekiro, whose combat I love so much that the illogical part of my brain can't fathom why they'd want to go "backwards."

Positive is how the caves/tombs are small and the bosses are beatable. I beat two of them before leveling up a single attribute.

I think what's going to frustrate me is the collision of all the systems with the bigness of the world. One cave had a boss that's like, TWO bosses, PLUS a gank squad. I'm level 9 with an estoc designed to poke one thing, how the hell am I supposed to beat a gang? Well I was lucky enough to summon a helpful co-op person and my doggies. Thank goodness I am also paying for the PlayStation online service, I guess, but that is some B.S. IMO.

When I was reading about starting classes, the internet was like "magic is great except for bosses" which, lol, f u FromSoftware. I was going to be a pure mage until multiple web sites told me that, now I'm greedily gonna go for hybrid. That's why I love Sekiro- sword for everything. I know lots of folks love all the items, stats, build stuff so opinions and tastes and blah blah but that stuff is the least interesting, I just wanna fight and win.

I am struggling with the visual palette- I can't see entrances and bonfires and such so I'll be relying heavily on online guides, whatever.

Oh yeah, I can't see Yellow, so grace sites were uh.... a fun time. (Apparently they also fire off a stream pointing you to the next mainline one too, but I literally can't perceive that bit).

Sorcery is nigh-universally good. Almost nothing resists it and probably 35% of things are weak to it. IDK which cracked corner of the internet that came from. The recent patch may have broadened the options but you could basically carry the game with Glintstone Pebble and Arch with the occasional Comet Azur if something gave you a window (usually when something has to run at you across an arena)

Summons are basically required for some fights if you're not in the catalogue of people who want to go hours of tries on each boss. Pairs or even trios (though most of the trio bosses that show up later are just considered normal enemies, not even bosses anymore).

The trick with the goblins in that Coastal Cave is to sneak around and try and kill the first one on the left before he even finishes waking up. The second one generally loiters in the back of the arena and won't engage unless you bring the fight over that way. The demi-human gimmick of surrendering when you kill the elite is.... unreliable at best. But each little pack of friends is supposed to surrender when you kill their individual big dude.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
You can buy a hip lantern that lets you see in dark environments.

Not as bright as a torch, but that's kind of the point.
Wait, people didn't know about the hip lantern? I've been using that since I could afford it, and you can bet it was one of the first things I bought because it allows me to use both hands. Also I'm 90% sure it's a bloodborne reference which makes me love it even more.

Last edited:

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Hmm, was this meant to be an incomplete thought…because it kinda fits lol.
I wish I could claim I was being clever but honestly, I was so tired when I was writing that I can't even remember the rest of the thought.

I had a similar issue distinguishing the yellow sites of grace from green or white backgrounds. I found that if you play with the game brightness and jack up the contrast on your monitor there is a balance that can help things pop out a bit more. It does kind of neuter any threat that might have existed in dark spooky caves since you can always kind of see, but I've struggled with eye strain from reading pdfs for so long its a worthwhile tradeoff for me.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Switched to a heavily upgraded Morningstar with Wild Strikes ashes tonight and I’m liking it. East street to bleed buildup too. The lure of a STR build is getting stronger with the recent buffs, so I might ultimately work towards wielding the Giant Crusher for late game bosses. Not sure what ashes but it’ll depend on the boss most likely.

I like the convenience and safety of using a few supplementary spells here and there as usual, but as a mainstay offense it’s simply not as fun or engaging personally. This hasn’t changed since the time I respec’d in DS2 for high level magic and miracles before and switched back to melee there too.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
re: the hip lantern, no I didn't know about it, how would I? There's so many... things... in this game, and even with my eagerness to look things up on the internet I'm going to miss things. I certainly don't remember coming across any in either of the two merchants I found (yes, I've extremely early in the game).

re: magic on bosses- even if "only" 33% are resistant to it, that's still a lot! And if some of those are tough bosses, that really sucks.
And honestly even the ones that aren't, some of them move so fast. Like the first mini-boss I found in a cave is a dog monster with a sword that moves like Orphan of Kos- wild big jumps and slams. It wasn't that hard because previous games taught me how to anticipate and react to that shit so I just poked it to death with my Estoc but from listening to streams I know the real bosses are going to fly around like crazy (this was in Yahtzee's review). Of course I will try to zap them with magic but I am guessing good ol' dodge 'n' sword wins the day when they're flying around like maniacs.