Brawlers

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Thanks. I had to check on my phone, as the link won't show up on laptop or PC. I'll grab it when I can.
Yeah, its not showing up for me either. Seems like amazon is the main store you get their stuff though.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Thanks. I had to check on my phone, as the link won't show up on laptop or PC. I'll grab it when I can.
Found another store and another one you might be interested in.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Is it really the ultimate love letter to Final Fight and Streets of Rage? When one: Streets of Rage 4 already exists, and two: The TakeOver already cover the love letter. I'm excited for Final Vendetta, but this title already feels like click-bait. This is not a knock against the game, but me criticizing the article itself.

Last edited:

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Every time I look into a new brawler, I always just end up going back to Dragon's Crown, I was meaning to play the Pro remake for ps4 at some point too. Prolly gonna go with a Dwarf this time.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The best RPG-Brawler hybrid game will always be Guardian Heroes. The multiple paths and storylines, enemy variety, the plane shifting mechanic, the combat system (revamped even better on Remix mode on the XBLA version), 6 player versus mode (12 players on XBLA!), and just gorgeous pixel art and graphics. The visuals still hold up well. The music? Awesome vintage 90s music you would expect from Treasure on a Sega console!

What's unique about GH is that once you complete the game, you return to base stats. So no playthrough will be exactly the same a few times through. In the case of leveling up and building your stats by skill points. Once you understand how the level up system works, you can exploit by dumping your stats in to LUCK. By having higher LUCK, you are less likely to take major damage or the damage is cut in half. Also, the higher it is, the more likely you can cause critical damage to foes. LUCK basically replaces DEF; though it technically exists in the STR attribute. You still want high LUCK for the best. One character requires high LUCK for her magic to be at maximum efficiency.

The game even has a karma meter based on whether you killed civilians, killed enemies that surrender/runaway, or juggling corpses. GH was way ahead of its time in so many areas. This game needs to be on more than just XBLA and Sega Saturn. Guardian Heroes should be on all platforms for everyone to experience at least once. Anyone that has an XBOX ONE or SERIES X/S need to download this game immediately.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This reminds me of Taito's Arabian Magic. This game here is actually remake of an old one, apparently.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
@BrawlMan
Looks like we have a launch date of the 16th for this.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
There's a retro game store called Retrotaku that has about 3 or 4 of these in their shop and on the top shelf. They're in Royak Oak.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Nice list, but I would not put Scott Pilgrim that high. Young Souls I have not played yet, neither River City Girls. I am waiting for the sequel to the latter though.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
@Worgen, all the Steam updates for Final Vendetta are all on consoles too. I still suggest you wait for a sale on that game, regardless of which platform you're getting it for.