Funny Events of the "Woke" world

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
I don't care about a female lead, I won't play it if they aren't hot, and I literally sold all of my consoles because I was sick of the woke crap due to advice from likely woke devs. But there are literally games where they have gone from hot characters to less sexy characters like Koei Tecmo's Samurai Warriors 4. The Steam hentai games that people are pissed off about all have to be censored and require a patch, while the LGBTQ game about furries doesn't have censorship.

Next time a woke game gets released I am torrenting it. Next time a game with a sexy female lead gets released I will pay for it.
😂😂😂

Thanks, I needed that laugh.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I don't care about a female lead, I won't play it if they aren't hot, and I literally sold all of my consoles because I was sick of the woke crap due to advice from likely woke devs. But there are literally games where they have gone from hot characters to less sexy characters like Koei Tecmo's Samurai Warriors 4. The Steam hentai games that people are pissed off about all have to be censored and require a patch, while the LGBTQ game about furries doesn't have censorship.

Next time a woke game gets released I am torrenting it. Next time a game with a sexy female lead gets released I will pay for it.
This is like someone wrote a parody of what a "Hard-core Gamer TM" thinks. Yet its real. Incredible.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
"potentially". This is a projection of morality and has no basis on actual player thoughts.
But... he is a player. And he's giving his thoughts. This whole discussion is about us giving our opinions.

Everything you're saying is just your opinion. Same here. Same there.

Also if you don't like it, don't play it.
Nah, fuck this argument.

Criticism has been part of art for as long as art has existed. Its integral to it. Shutting down criticism because you don't like it or agree with it leads to stagnant art.

I criticise stuff because I want it to be better. If everyone had just shut up and kept all their comments and preferences to themselves, we'd still be stuck with the most tedious, cookie-cutter stories from the 19th century.

Reactions: Buyetyen and Hawki

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009

right-dr-evil.gif

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I have to disagree with there, I thought the first season was pretty poor .

And I think there's a clear pattern, from the publicity for the show, to the trailer which barely featured any of the males characters, and finally the series itself, that shows an agenda. The writers wanted to push the series as a feminist fantasy and had no real interest in the male characters. Rand's role in particular was diminished to the point where you almost felt sorry for the guy. His big moment were he destroys an army was given to a female character who'd only been introduced the week before, had no real importance to the plot and wasn't even a proper Aes Sedai. Rand's not so much the Dragon Reborn as the Turkey Reborn.

I doubt he'll feature much in the second season either.
Disagree in a number of areas:

-I disagree that the show isn't interested in the male characters. Rand, Perrin, Mat, Lan, all of them are fleshed out.

-I do feel sorry for Rand, but the show plays up the tragedy angle. I didn't really get the sense of the show shoving him aside. The five ta'varen get equal development.

-The "big moment" is as much Nynave's and Egwene's as the new character. Maybe it comes from Rand, but Rand's going through his own struggle with the Dark One at the time, which to be frank, is more compelling than a light show.

Why are the female warriors wearing bikini armor? Because I fucking like it! And that should be enough reason, shouldn't it?
Doesn't make it less stupid.

I might like male characters wearing swimwear in icy settings. Doesn't make it less nonsensical.

This isn't even a gendered thing necessarily. To use FFX as an example, hypothetically, the fact that Wakka uses a blitzball as a weapon might appeal to some, but surely we all agree that it's silly, right? That it makes no sense?

I thought the WoT was at best just okay. I have a really big problem when movies or TV shows take a beloved story and turn it into something completely different. The WoT is a huge epic story with giant moments for just about every character except minor minor ones. When the first episodes of the show immediately take the story off the rails then you are no longer making an WoT story, you are making something else wearing WoT branding.
Sorry, it's been ages since I read the books (I gave up after the third one), but I'm not sure how you can call season 1 "completely different." It follows the plot beats of the first novel, from Emmond's Field to the showdown in the Blight.

WoT the show is directly just changing shit, and it's typically changing things to give the spotlight onto the women even in Breakdown's example of literally taking a moment of heroism from a man to give to a random woman in the show. It's these types of changes that aren't done to reformat a story in order to fit with the film or TV show format, it's diliberately changing the known story for reasons that don't make sense to the fans which in turn alienates them.
First, there's a certain irony here - Glorfindel's role in Lord of the Rings was given to Arwen in the Jackson films, and Eowyn's role was greatly expanded, no-one complains about them now, even though it sent people into an outrage in the years prior to release.

Second, "random woman?" The lightning show is Egwene's and Nynaeve's moment, more than anything. I don't think it's as powerful as the '"like a blazing sun" sequence, but it's still solid.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Thus why it's called "fantasy" and not reality. Though if you look at Instragam and tik tok you'll see plenty of girls being as sexy as possible on that platform. Or Onlyfans, or Twitch....wait...women being sexualized is rare?
Okay, but you hate when they're sexy on Twitch...

Yes it is cearly the female outfits that make the games unbelievable and not....all the zombies. right. okay.
Verisimilitude is a thing

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Or Rambo: First Blood Part II. Remember, it took a movie that was a scathing indictment of America's treatment of its veterans, and turned the franchise into a conservative power fantasy of shooting all the commies, all of them. That gets a free pass, though, doesn't it?
Well, that ain't political, ain't it? It's the type of politics that SQWs agree with, so therefore, it's not political, whereas women and LGBT characters are political. Get with the times. :p

I think saying Future is Female is dumb and hopefully we are past that.

Also, do feminist say this? Or do females say this?
Um, both? I mean, it's not like the characters talk to the camera and say "we're feminists," but Supergirl season 2 really goes in on the politics, feminist or otherwise. Even when it contradicts the plot and/or themes.

Then don't play it, I don't comment on the left's omi-sex whatever, and they don't comment on a female character having a mini-skirt.
Don't play what? You bulk quoted me, I mentioned a lot of games there.

Also, your comment implies that if I have any gripe at all with a game, I shouldn't play it, which is...no. Just no. RE3 is one of my favourite RE games, RE4 is my favourite RE game, and Revelations ranks fairly decently. I can like something and still acknowledge its flaws.

Xenoblade 2, on the other hand, is bad. Just bad. You could give Pyra sensible clothes, and make her an actual character, and it would still be bad.

I used it as an example because the women is the main character. The star. Or do we need to count the number of women to men ratio?
Well, 'fans' made a no-female cut of Last Jedi, so you tell me.

"potentially". This is a projection of morality and has no basis on actual player thoughts. Also if you don't like it, don't play it.
See above as to this fallacy.

Thus why it's called "fantasy" and not reality. Though if you look at Instragam and tik tok you'll see plenty of girls being as sexy as possible on that platform. Or Onlyfans, or Twitch....wait...women being sexualized is rare?
You switch from fantasy to the real world. I don't care what people do on those media sites. To be honest, I don't overly care about the sexualization either, but since the thread has gone in that direction, I can still be honest and notice that one gender is sexualized far more than the other.

Yes it is cearly the female outfits that make the games unbelievable and not....all the zombies. right. okay.
Strawman gonna strawman.

That a setting is fantastical doesn't mean that any decision in plot or character aren't above scrutiny. Lord of the Rings is fantastical, but the Fellowship use winter clothing rather than swimsuits to traverse it. Game of Thrones is fantastical, but Brienne still uses full-plate armour rather than a chainmail bikini. Dune is fantastical, but Chani still wears a stillsuit like all the other Fremen.

So, yeah. The attire of characters like Jill and Ada don't make or break the games they're in, but they're still objectively silly. And if you want to argue the opposite, you'd have to explain why:

1: Jill knows at this point how the T-virus works, and how zombies attack by biting, so why go out onto the streets with all that skin exposed?

2: Ada knows about Los Ganados, that she's going into hostile territory, so why wear a red dress with heels rather than a BDU (heck, even Assignment: Ada gives her one).

Um, Gergar? You alright? Blink twice if you need help.

Reactions: Thaluikhain

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Kind of?

Definitely it was

It was also a criticism of Nixon.
Nixon? Really?

Actually, I'm going to concede something to the anti-woke crowd, in that all the politics of the original Star Wars are really background material. I can buy that the Empire is based on the Nazis, and that the ewoks are based on the Viet Cong, but I'd be surprised if anyone watched Star Wars a first time round and picked up on that.

However, my bone doesn't extend as far to agreeing that the sequel trilogy is any more "political" than the OT, especially not when the prequel trilogy spent a lot of time in politics, and was criticized for it. Because again, what actual politics does the sequel trilogy have? There's the explicitly fascist imagery of the First Order, true, but saying "Nazis are bad" is the lowest bar for politics there is. Apart from that, Last Jedi does get into some moral ambiguity via Canto Bight, but again, that's hardly political.

Of course, I know what people mean by the sequel trilogy being "political" (women, "the gays,"), but looking at it objectively? No. It isn't. At all.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Kind of?

Definitely it was

It was also a criticism of Nixon.
Oh yeah, you said new starwars, my bad. At least the second of the new movies did have political statements.

Brokencontroller

Elite Member
Dec 30, 2021
Country
usa
This isn't even a gendered thing necessarily. To use FFX as an example, hypothetically, the fact that Wakka uses a blitzball as a weapon might appeal to some, but surely we all agree that it's silly, right? That it makes no sense?
Spoken like youve never been hit in the fa e by a soccer ball.

Brokencontroller

Elite Member
Dec 30, 2021
Country
usa
: Jill knows at this point how the T-virus works, and how zombies attack by biting, so why go out onto the streets with all that skin exposed?

2: Ada knows about Los Ganados, that she's going into hostile territory, so why wear a red dress with heels rather than a BDU (heck, even Assignment: Ada gives her one).
Girls always gotta over dress. Cant fight the undead looking like shit.

Reactions: Hawki

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Spoken like youve never been hit in the fa e by a soccer ball.
I have, actually. And worse (a cricket ball).

Somehow, I managed to survive both experiences. And I'm going to go on a limb and assume that even if I didn't, it wouldn't be evidence that a blitzball could harm, let alone kill not!Godzilla. 0_0

Brokencontroller

Elite Member
Dec 30, 2021
Country
usa
I have, actually. And worse (a cricket ball).

Somehow, I managed to survive both experiences. And I'm going to go on a limb and assume that even if I didn't, it wouldn't be evidence that a blitzball could harm, let alone kill not!Godzilla. 0_0
But it is a magic ball you used in a sport where humans can hold their breath for hours while physically exerting themselves underwater. Also wakka puts razor blades on the ball eventually.

Brokencontroller

Elite Member
Dec 30, 2021
Country
usa
True, dat.

He played with the ball so much that he acted like a dick.
I mean also these are people who can throw a ball insanely fast under the fucking water. Wakka has to be hitting those monsters with that ball really really fucking hard.

The point is, dont apply reality to a video game because everything breaks down when applied to real world logic.

Arguing for the realistic is pointless because there is no real attempts to be torally grounded except in a few rare cases. This applies to everything from Wakka's balls to Ada's choice of dress....which btw i believe she was caught up in the events of re4 while undercover and ended up stuck in the dress at the time. Not a great excuse but at least they handwaved addressed it.

Id understand if the argument was having women wear less revealing bullshit in movies and tv shows. But in video games? Meh let people have their softcore hentai. What does it matter?

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
As a side note on the EV talk, I have to say I'm impressed with Chevy. They're putting out the Silverado EV as a 4 wheel drive crewcab pickup, and it is so far basically the same price as a new comparable Silverado ICE truck.
So no apology for saying I can't even read the article I posted when you were the one the couldn't read it properly?

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane

Okay. On your bike then

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I mean also these are people who can throw a ball insanely fast under the fucking water. Wakka has to be hitting those monsters with that ball really really fucking hard.

The point is, dont apply reality to a video game because everything breaks down when applied to real world logic.

Arguing for the realistic is pointless because there is no real attempts to be torally grounded except in a few rare cases. This applies to everything from Wakka's balls to Ada's choice of dress....which btw i believe she was caught up in the events of re4 while undercover and ended up stuck in the dress at the time. Not a great excuse but at least they handwaved addressed it.

Id understand if the argument was having women wear less revealing bullshit in movies and tv shows. But in video games? Meh let people have their softcore hentai. What does it matter?
I don't really buy that logic, that we have to treat the narratives of videogames at a lower standard than other forms of media.

There's a difference between Ada's dress and Wakka's balls, in that at the least, Wakka's balls is directly related to game mechanics, and has some lore to fall back on. That said, FFX is really bonkers, period. Dive into its worldbuilding, and the cracks appear quickly. Ada's dress, on the other hand, is purely stylistic.

Also, you're confusing RE2 with RE4. RE2 doesn't really have a problem with it, since Ada's already in a civilian environment, and undercover at that, and the dress she's wearing there is still more practical than RE4. There's a reasonable rationale for Ada's attire in RE2 that doesn't exist for RE4. I mean, Leon doesn't go into rural Spain wearing a tuxedo, does he? (optional skins notwithstanding).

As for letting people have their hentai, yes, I agree, people are free to consume what media they want. Still, I think it's fair to evaluate game narratives, and that includes versimilitude. For instance, I'm not about to demand that the Mario series change course to please me, but I'm not about to pretend that Peach is something more than just a damsel in distress for Mario to save either.