Shower Thoughts MK2

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Amen to that. As a fatty for most of my life, when I first started getting pants tailored so they weren't 4 inches too long and 2 inches too wide or some shit, I felt a lot better dressing up. Sadly even now that I'm significantly slimmer pants still come either too baggy or too tight. If the legs are okay, then the waist will be too tight. If the waist is okay, then the legs will be too tight. Flat feet and wide thighs, the two curses that make buying clothes a pain in the ass for me.

OT: I wonder just how "real" chiropractic treatments are. I really enjoy watching all the videos of them, but I am highly skeptical if they do anything more than make you feel relaxed (since it's essentially a massage). It sure seems a lot like pseudoscience that has gotten enough traction to be legitimized, living in the gray soup of the internet between truth and lies. A lot of chiropractors are doctors, but then being a doctor doesn't exempt you from being a scamming piece of shit. Maybe I'll go to one and see for myself (although I think they might actually be illegal here).
The healthiest thing that ever happened to me was becoming a type 2 diabetic (I got better somehow). Before I was I had become overweight and had an indistinct chin. After being diagnosed though, I changed my diet and started doing things like taking walks and lost a lot of weight thanks to all that. I had been wearing a lot of the same pants for years after though and just recently decided to get better fitting ones and it is amazing just how nice it feels.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
The healthiest thing that ever happened to me was becoming a type 2 diabetic (I got better somehow). Before I was I had become overweight and had an indistinct chin. After being diagnosed though, I changed my diet and started doing things like taking walks and lost a lot of weight thanks to all that. I had been wearing a lot of the same pants for years after though and just recently decided to get better fitting ones and it is amazing just how nice it feels.
Good for you man. I'm still getting to a weight where I'm truly comfortable at, but even then it's nice to not feel your clothes tugging on your fats.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
OT: I wonder just how "real" chiropractic treatments are. I really enjoy watching all the videos of them, but I am highly skeptical if they do anything more than make you feel relaxed (since it's essentially a massage). It sure seems a lot like pseudoscience that has gotten enough traction to be legitimized, living in the gray soup of the internet between truth and lies. A lot of chiropractors are doctors, but then being a doctor doesn't exempt you from being a scamming piece of shit. Maybe I'll go to one and see for myself (although I think they might actually be illegal here).
I've never been to one myself, but I know enough people that swear by them that I wouldn't call chiropractors pseudoscientists. I wouldn't give them a PhD necessarily, but as someone who has suffered back pains since my early 30s (I destroyed my back working at an electronics retailer in my early 20s hefting 30-inch televisions over my shoulder because I was young and invincible,) I know the benefits of a good back-cracking. If there's someone out there who understands the mechanics of the back well enough to crack the right places at the right time for more than extremely temporary relief, I'll give them the nod; that's God's work right there.

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I've never been to one myself, but I know enough people that swear by them that I wouldn't call chiropractors pseudoscientists. I wouldn't give them a PhD necessarily, but as someone who has suffered back pains since my early 30s (I destroyed my back working at an electronics retailer in my early 20s hefting 30-inch televisions over my shoulder because I was young and invincible,) I know the benefits of a good back-cracking. If there's someone out there who understands the mechanics of the back well enough to crack the right places at the right time for more than extremely temporary relief, I'll give them the nod; that's God's work right there.
I quite enjoy cracking my own joints, crack my back the whole time. So that part I can believe. But when these chiropractors start scraping your skin to "get the toxins out", that's when I start doubting.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I quite enjoy cracking my own joints, crack my back the whole time. So that part I can believe. But when these chiropractors start scraping your skin to "get the toxins out", that's when I start doubting.
Scraping the skin? Never heard of that; must be some chiropractic witch-doctoring.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Afaik, the scraping is more or less like a massage, intended to relieve muscle pains, relax tension and improve blood flow. No idea how effective that actually is, tho if it does actually improve blood flow that could potentially 'detoxify', since transporting metabolic waste away from your cells is half of blood's function, tho in reality it's a little more complicated than just "better blood flow make waste go bye-bye" I also feel like if you have waste buildup so bad it becomes toxic, you probably have one or more serious problems going on that won't go away with the equivalent of a massage.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I also feel like if you have waste buildup so bad it becomes toxic, you probably have one or more serious problems going on that won't go away with the equivalent of a massage.
But you can sell said massages as curative measures, which is where I think @Bob_McMillan and his skepticism might be coming from. I've never heard of it personally, but as someone who's has never had a professional massage because that kind of intimate attention makes me uncomfortable, I've never looked into it either.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Are Californians stuck in a timewarp or something? I listen to some podcasts hosted by people living in CA and they talk as if it hasn't been over two years since the initial Covid outbreak.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
As much as I absolutely despise my state university, at least I never needed to go through all the religious bullshit (or bullshit that has been tainted by religion) present in other schools run by religious organizations. Small mercies I guess.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
What conditions would be required to make an actual literal rock star? A celestial body, made of "rock" that could also be considered a sun?
Considering the temperatures present at the center of a star tend to be hotter than what a rock could endure in a solid state, I'd say you'd need a miracle.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Considering the temperatures present at the center of a star tend to be hotter than what a rock could endure in a solid state, I'd say you'd need a miracle.
But what if you could get a rock close enough to having the properties of a star that it could function as one? Like, what if our Moon was radioactive enough to serve as a sun for the Earth thanks to its closeness?

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
But what if you could get a rock close enough to having the properties of a star that it could function as one? Like, what if our Moon was radioactive enough to serve as a sun for the Earth thanks to its closeness?
Rock inherently doesn't have the properties to sustain aa a star, so your thought is one that simply isn't possible without appreciable change from the fundamental properties your inquiring about unless you're willing to change the definition of "star," "rock" or both.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Rock at what pressure? I don't know about stars but the core of the Earth is solid despite being 5,430°C (9,800°F), which is about the temperature of the surface of the sun. Melting point rises as pressure rises.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I missed this earlier but as your once fellow fat bastard, I salute you.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Rock at what pressure? I don't know about stars but the core of the Earth is solid despite being 5,430°C (9,800°F), which is about the temperature of the surface of the sun. Melting point rises as pressure rises.
The earth's core is also mostly metal. Also, the earth isn't a star.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
The earth's core is also mostly metal. Also, the earth isn't a star.
Xp, please! You're hushing my buzz man! Just give me a technicality, that's all I'm asking, just this one time bro, I promise I'll pay you back. Is there some way something could serve the same purpose for a habitable planet that our sun does while also being made of some kind of earthen material? C'mon bro, just hook me up here!

Reactions: Xprimentyl