Shower Thoughts MK2

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
If the claws are in some some of sheath attached to his bones and sorta telescope out (dunno the mechanism for that, though), that might work, but he'd not really be able to move his wrists much when they are out. Also, what muscle controls them coming in and out?

But, yeah, just carrying knives around would be more practical.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
If the claws are in some some of sheath attached to his bones and sorta telescope out (dunno the mechanism for that, though), that might work, but he'd not really be able to move his wrists much when they are out. Also, what muscle controls them coming in and out?

But, yeah, just carrying knives around would be more practical.
From my understanding, the retractable claws (bones) were a part of his mutant nature previous to the violent infusion of adamantium to his bones, so I don't think any sheaths would be involved in his biology. Even still, given how leverage works, the force required to cleave through something like steel with blades independent of a rigid structure anchoring them makes his functionality very much impossible without significant damage to the muscle that contains them. Maybe if he had adamantium gauntlets covering his entire forearms to stabilize his blades, they might work, but as far as I know, that's not been the case, and it would still be very stressful and painful on his body given the claws are a part of his body. Take three knives and place them between your fingers with the butts arranged in your palm and make a fist. Now slam them straight down with the force of a punch into a table intending to cut through it. They will come loose. Now imagine your loose hold is actually your muscle and flesh holding them in place. Nasty.

As for which muscles his claws use, I'd always assumed they'd be similar to the muscles cats use to retract and protract their claws.

Last edited:

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Hearing tornado sirens go off in your neighborhood during a thunderstorm just before you were about to go to sleep and then being unable to sleep from fear while you have another day of overtime at work tomorrow sucks.
That's like my nightmare. I've never seen a tornado, but I dream about them at least twice a year.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Wolverine's claws are pretty much impossible to work as they are advertised in the comics/movies.

Firstly, they can only be as long as his forearms, and they are often portrayed as at least such. Any longer, and they'd impede the use of his elbows when retracted. Assuming that, when they are protruding, it's safe to say the backs of them have moved to his wrists or, worst case, the backs of his hands.

Secondly, given the claws' retractable nature, they need to be attached to muscle and independent of Wolverine's skeletal frame despite themselves being bone.

Thirdly and most importantly, regardless of how sharp they are or how strong adamantium is supposed to be, cleaving with them into any substance with significant resistance like metal or wood would tear the flesh of his forearms and hands most likely declawing him entirely in gruesome fashion. Of course he'd heal, maybe even grow new claws (sans adamantium, of course,) but that's a lot of pain to go through every time the day needs saving and it wouldn't work anyway...
Considering Wolverine has at one point in the comic regenerated from a single cell - which is some pure shonen anime shit, and that comes from someone who loves the ur example of that same shit - I don't think the claws are that big of a deal.

I also find its the movies that bring the issues into sharp focus: the cartoon and most of the comics of XMen that I've read, Wolverine has fairly dainty claws. Like they're long: about six to seven inches but they're also only about as deep as a scalpel. The movies on the other hand, the fuckers are about the size of a decent kitchen knife. Presumably to make them look cooler on screen - spoiler alert, mission fucking accomplished because most of the shit Hugh Jackman did with them in X Men and X Men 2 was fucking awesome.

As for the cutting thing? I think Adamantium is one of those basically magic metals. Kind of like how Excalibur is sometimes said to cleave through armour as if its paper. Or if they want to make it sound more sciencey then maybe it self sharpens to a monomolecular edge or some crap.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Considering Wolverine has at one point in the comic regenerated from a single cell - which is some pure shonen anime shit, and that comes from someone who loves the ur example of that same shit - I don't think the claws are that big of a deal.

I also find its the movies that bring the issues into sharp focus: the cartoon and most of the comics of XMen that I've read, Wolverine has fairly dainty claws. Like they're long: about six to seven inches but they're also only about as deep as a scalpel. The movies on the other hand, the fuckers are about the size of a decent kitchen knife. Presumably to make them look cooler on screen - spoiler alert, mission fucking accomplished because most of the shit Hugh Jackman did with them in X Men and X Men 2 was fucking awesome.

As for the cutting thing? I think Adamantium is one of those basically magic metals. Kind of like how Excalibur is sometimes said to cleave through armour as if its paper. Or if they want to make it sound more sciencey then maybe it self sharpens to a monomolecular edge or some crap.
I know it's all fantasy, and whatever they say is possible is possible within the realm of said fantasy. I was just pondering how realistically, based on the sheer physics, Wolverine's arms and hands would be shredded whenever he tried to cut through anything substantial since the claws aren't anchored by anything save his tissue unless his tissue was somehow equally indestructible. Like I said, if he wore adamantium gauntlets, I could buy it; it'd probably still be painful, but at least more reasonable.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
That's like my nightmare. I've never seen a tornado, but I dream about them at least twice a year.
It's about the only natural disaster I have to worry about in my neck of the woods. That and flooding, but I live high up on hills so that's not an issue.

Stop manipulating people to get them?
I would have hoped that you'd understand the implied fact that I'm feeling bad for getting things I want despite not manipulating people for it. I feel bad when there's no reason for me to feel bad.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Considering Wolverine has at one point in the comic regenerated from a single cell
Wait, what?? First off, that's ridiculous. Second, did he grow back with the adamantium skeleton? Because the metal isn't a part of his mutant nature; that was a procedure he underwent. And third, did his insurance cover the cost of having new adamantium applied to his newly regenerated skeleton?? So many questions!

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Wait, what?? First off, that's ridiculous. Second, did he grow back with the adamantium skeleton? Because the metal isn't a part of his mutant nature; that was a procedure he underwent. And third, did his insurance cover the cost of having new adamantium applied to his newly regenerated skeleton?? So many questions!
Okay I tell an untruth due to bad memory. It was not a single cell.

It was a drop of blood.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I would have hoped that you'd understand the implied fact that I'm feeling bad for getting things I want despite not manipulating people for it. I feel bad when there's no reason for me to feel bad.
That's dumb. Stop it.

What kind of things are you getting?

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
That's dumb. Stop it.

What kind of things are you getting?
It's just a general life thing. Like.... "Oh boy! A story that's about X! I've always wanted to read a story about X!.... I probably shouldn't be excited, I'm getting X but what if this means someone else doesn't get Y?" or how I worry I've tricked someone into doing something wrong if they agree with an idea I have because I couldn't possibly have thought of something good.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
It's just a general life thing. Like.... "Oh boy! A story that's about X! I've always wanted to read a story about X!.... I probably shouldn't be excited, I'm getting X but what if this means someone else doesn't get Y?" or how I worry I've tricked someone into doing something wrong if they agree with an idea I have because I couldn't possibly have thought of something good.
Whenever you feel guilty, just think about how you are a minuscule insignificant speck in a vast universe and in 100 years, you and everybody you know will be dead and nothing will matter anymore. I'm sure you'll feel much better.

Last edited:

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
It's amazing how much of a difference having pants that aren't super baggy or too tight has on your mood.
Amen to that. As a fatty for most of my life, when I first started getting pants tailored so they weren't 4 inches too long and 2 inches too wide or some shit, I felt a lot better dressing up. Sadly even now that I'm significantly slimmer pants still come either too baggy or too tight. If the legs are okay, then the waist will be too tight. If the waist is okay, then the legs will be too tight. Flat feet and wide thighs, the two curses that make buying clothes a pain in the ass for me.

OT: I wonder just how "real" chiropractic treatments are. I really enjoy watching all the videos of them, but I am highly skeptical if they do anything more than make you feel relaxed (since it's essentially a massage). It sure seems a lot like pseudoscience that has gotten enough traction to be legitimized, living in the gray soup of the internet between truth and lies. A lot of chiropractors are doctors, but then being a doctor doesn't exempt you from being a scamming piece of shit. Maybe I'll go to one and see for myself (although I think they might actually be illegal here).