Halo Infinite is out.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Don't worry. They'll blame Elden Ring for the lack of player interest. In spite of the fact Elden Ring is nothing like Halo Infinite.
They do that, then everyone will call them out on their bull. Everyone! Even some of the blind Halo fans can't turn their eyes away from that.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
They do that, then everyone will call them out on their bull. Everyone! Even some of the blind Halo fans can't turn their eyes away from that.
I totally agree, but I wouldn't put it past them. Some people have no shame.

"Sure, ER is nothing like Halo Infinite and Halo Infinite released a good half year before Elden Ring but clearly something something press favoritism something something time machine something something quarterly revenues something something lizard people" You know, the usual BS.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
something something time machine something something quarterly revenues something something lizard people
If they start using those outlandish and not reality excuses, they're going from delusional to pathetically desperate. Because that is beyond delusional at that point.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
If they start using those outlandish and not reality excuses, they're going from delusional to pathetically desperate. Because that is beyond delusional at that point.
It's not that far removed from that sometimes. Corpos whining about how they're doing the right thing, it's the customers who suck and refuse to go along with their NFT BS. Or another company is being unfair by making a better game then them(the PUBG guy whining about Fortnite eating his lunch because apparently he invented the Battle Royale or something).

It's never their fault, it's always everyone elses fault.

Reactions: BrawlMan

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
It'd be a massive PR fail if they decided to blame Halo Infinite's 'failure' on something else when they themselves were blamed for Battlefield's failure which made DICE look completely foolish.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I’d really like to hear what Microsoft thinks of all this.

Remember this? -

Hell it even had me convinced enough to consider the game and I’m pretty far from a Halo fan. Thankfully my interest waned because, well…

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I’d really like to hear what Microsoft thinks of all this.

Remember this? -

Hell it even had me convinced enough to consider the game and I’m pretty far from a Halo fan. Thankfully my interest waned because, well…

The cruel, bitter, irony

Reactions: Dalisclock

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Well, the roadmap that was originally due for January finally dropped:

1650671195382.png

Translation: the update that is due to come out on May 3rd is going to be the only significant update to the game until November - AKA, one year since the game launched.

Two new maps in a year.

For a so-called "live service", this is an embarrassment.

Honestly, if I knew that this was all the developers had to say, I would have been putting off posting this roadmap, too.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland

View attachment 5965

Translation: the update that is due to come out on May 3rd is going to be the only significant update to the game until November - AKA, one year since the game launched.

Two new maps in a year.

Honestly, if I knew that this was all the developers had to say, I would have been putting off posting this roadmap, too.
Does 343 like have no idea what they're doing or have some kind of side hustle or something?

I mean, I stay away from GAAS games for the most part(I've sinned but I tend to feel pretty bad about it afterwards so it's okay, RIGHT?) so I don't know just how bad this comes across. Also, isn't this like 343's only big project right now? Shouldn't they be putting more effort into this?

As someone who doesn't really know GAAS and doesn't really care about Halo one way or another, I don't know why you'd build a game as one and then....not have content drops on a regular basis. That's the point of these damn things, right? To keep players engaged so they keep playing so you can keep the $$$ flowing?

Am I missing something obvious here that someone who plays GAAS on a regular basis explain to me?

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

View attachment 5965

Two new maps in a year.

Woo! Quality of life improvements! GET HYPE!

laggyteabag

Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Does 343 like have no idea what they're doing or have some kind of side hustle or something?

I mean, I stay away from GAAS games for the most part(I've sinned but I tend to feel pretty bad about it afterwards so it's okay, RIGHT?) so I don't know just how bad this comes across. Also, isn't this like 343's only big project right now? Shouldn't they be putting more effort into this?

As someone who doesn't really know GAAS and doesn't really care about Halo one way or another, I don't know why you'd build a game as one and then....not have content drops on a regular basis. That's the point of these damn things, right? To keep players engaged so they keep playing so you can keep the $$$ flowing?

Am I missing something obvious here that someone who plays GAAS on a regular basis explain to me?
Assuming that 343 hasn't abandoned their plans for Halo Infinite, this is supposed to be the only Halo game for the next 10 years, so I would assume that development on the next Halo game hasn't started yet, and it is still all hands on deck for Infinite.

MCC is still getting updates, but that is being handled by a separate "publishing" team within the studio.

So im really not too sure what the holdup is.

Regarding the whole GAAS thing, most games release a new season of content every 2-4 months, and with a lot more content than what Halo Infinite's seasons are currently offering. I believe this timescale was supposed to be the plan for Halo Infinite, too, but Season 1 was announced to be extended to 6 months just before the game launched, and this was supposed to be a one-off. Obviously something changed, because here we are with Season 2 doing the same thing.

If Season 1 was anything to go by, 6 months is way too long, especially with how bare these seasons are, and I am honestly unsure if this game is going to recover afterwards.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

It would seem the takeaway is that Microsoft can only throw money at things, and that only goes so far.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
I'm probably just going to ignore Infinite for a year. This is basically what I did to a lot of live service games I played in the past. Even those with more frequent update schedules I'd be, OKAY BORED NOW!! Then come back in half a year or a year and go, hey theres stuff to do.

Honestly I just need Forge and Customs working right, that's the main appeal for me. Just private lobbies playing goofy things with friends.

MCC recently updated with Flood Firefight which was fun for a few rounds. They also updated their Custom Game Browser to finally support all games - so anybody can host and join any Halo game in MCC. Previously it only supported Reach. I've had a lot of fun just joining random Customs and hosting some of my own. Locking 16 players in a tiny box with random weapons will never not be funny.....

laggyteabag

Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
So, Season 2 finally came out, and the response to it hasn't been great.

A lot of old problems have reared their heads again, like some new terrible challenges (which are still the only way to progress, by the way). But one thing that has really caught people off guard, are some of the "fixes" that 343 have put into place.

In campaign, for instance, the developers unintentionally left over a weapon that could be picked up - The Tank Gun - that gave the player an invisible gun that shot tank shells. Intentional or not, players really embraced it, and it was a lot of fun. Its not without precedent either, because Halo 2 had a similar super-gun easter egg.

Removed.

There was also another exploit that a lot of speedrunners used, where you could stand on a fusion coil (an explosive box, that you can pick up an throw), then use your grappling hook on it, which would then propel you far into the air. Again, a lot of fun.

Removed.

A glitch where you could unintentionally fly a Pelican dropship?

Removed.

And these are all from the singleplayer portion of the game, too! Where the developers explicitly stated that they would not remove exploits like these, unless they were literally gamebreaking (crashes, etc).

Who called the fun police?

One other controversial change in the multiplayer side of the game, was the removal of a lot of skilljumps, which a lot of the pro players used. Skilljumps would exploit the geometry of a map for a shortcut. These have been included (intentionally or not) in many other past Halo games, and these have always been embraced as part of the pro scene, which 343 has been eager to foster.

This is the first time that I am aware of, where any of these have been purposely removed. The pros aren't happy.

Its just quite funny, because 343 does these blog posts, where they collect feedback from players about what they want fixing/changing, and then 343 speaks about each one, talking about if they are going to address it, when the change can be expected, etc.

None of the above changes were brought up once. Because why would they? Meanwhile, loads of changes that have been requested, are either not going to be touched, or are still somewhere in the pipeline.

343 really can't seem to do anything right.

Last edited:

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
So, Season 2 finally came out, and the response to it hasn't been great.

A lot of old problems have reared their heads again, like some new terrible challenges (which are still the only way to progress, by the way). But one thing that has really caught people off guard, are some of the "fixes" that 343 have put into place.

In campaign, for instance, the developers unintentionally left over a weapon that could be picked up - The Tank Gun - that gave the player an invisible gun that shot tank shells. Intentional or not, players really embraced it, and it was a lot of fun. Its not without precedent either, because Halo 2 had a similar super-gun easter egg.

Removed.

There was also another exploit that a lot of speedrunners used, where you could stand on a fusion coil (an explosive box, that you can pick up an throw), then use your grappling hook on it, which would then propel you far into the air. Again, a lot of fun.

Removed.

A glitch where you could unintentionally fly a Pelican dropship?

Removed.

And these are all from the singleplayer portion of the game, too! Where the developers explicitly stated that they would not remove exploits like these, unless they were literally gamebreaking (crashes, etc).

Who called the fun police?

One other controversial change in the multiplayer side of the game, was the removal of a lot of skilljumps, which a lot of the pro players used. Skilljumps would exploit the geometry of a map to allow a player to effecitvely get a shortcut to another part of the map. These have been included (intentionally or not) in many other past Halo games, and these have always been embraced as part of the pro scene, which 343 has been eager to foster.

This is the first time that I am aware of, where any of these have been purposely removed. The pros aren't happy.

Its just quite funny, because 343 does these blog posts, where they collect feedback from players about what they want fixing/changing, and then 343 speaks about each one, talking about if they are going to address it, when the change can be expected, etc.

None of the above changes were brought up once. Because why would they? Meanwhile, loads of changes that have been requested, are either not going to be touched, or are still somewhere in the pipeline.

343 really can't seem to do anything right.
I don't play the game, but those kind of clips are the only ones I bother watching. I don't even know how it started, but I've seen my fair share of Halo speedruns. To remove such a harmless thing is a bizarre choice that to me smacks of some bigshot's ego making the decisions.

K

ko11b

I tried watching the movie I kinda got tired though and atriox and infinite them kept shifting with Cortana too much not really like the old ones where 117 grows and learns from cheif I think that cinema was better