Funny Events of the "Woke" world

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I guess you'll never know. Feel free to go ahead and assume or invent my position for me though. We both know that's where this was ultimately going.
If I wanted to invent your position I wouldn't have asked the question. What question have you ask me that I never answered?

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
No it's not. Words have meanings and should be used as what their meanings are.
You can't force people to use the words you want them to use, it's only like the 1st amendment.
Uh huh.

Sexual harassment in the UK is defined by the equality act. The equality act does not distinguish between harassment in the form of unwanted conduct of a sexual nature and harassment in the form of unwanted conduct pertaining to a protected characteristic for the purposes of humiliation, intimidation or violating a person's dignity.

The reason for this should be obvious, there isn't always a clear cut separation between these two forms of harassment. Unwanted sexual conduct often has the intention of degrading, humiliating or intimidating someone. Conversely, trying to humiliate or intimidate someone someone on the basis of sexual characteristics can be clearly sexual in nature. It's not always possible to draw a clear line between these two things, so the law simply doesn't.

You're free to use whatever personal definition of sexual harassment you want, but that's how the law works and it's not going to change.

Last edited:

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Oh and this

Curb your enthusiasm music plays
Uhrm, does that guy think that a game needs in-game voice chat in order to have voice chat...?

Like, most voice chat is done over external services like Discord.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Uhrm, does that guy think that a game needs in-game voice chat in order to have voice chat...?

Voice chat with peers is done on external services. The random person you matchmade with on a game without text or voice chat? Unlikely.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Point is you have to make an argument for why rather than hurl abuse and hope to force people to cow to their demands.
Why?

Either everyone is entitled to civility, or no-one is. Which is it?

But so far most adults can't seem to come up with any decent reason for most new pronouns let alone the 100+ proposed ones.
The only widely used "new" pronoun is the singular they/them (which, incidentally, is not new, you've certainly used it if you've been speaking English for any length of time).

Ironically, earlier generations of queer people sometimes used intentionally obscure pronouns as a way of making themselves culturally unintelligable to cishet people, because they didn't live under any delusions about the fact that cishet people hated them and wanted them dead. The ubiquity of they/them has made that kind of unnecessary.

The irony is that I'm pretty sure the vast, vast majority of non-binary people don't actually care what pronouns you use, as long as you aren't a dick about it. If you are a dick about it, people are gonna be a dick to you back. You don't have a right not to be offended.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
But so far most adults can't seem to come up with any decent reason for most new pronouns let alone the 100+ proposed ones.
It hurts no one while helping a group often uncomfortable in their own skin, who frequently face hate and discrimination for acknowledging they feel that way.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
It's worth remembering that people lead with their best arguments. If someone's best argument in defense of their actions is, "The 1st Amendment says you can't arrest me for saying this," consider how bad their other arguments had to be to come in second place or worse.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Voice chat with peers is done on external services. The random person you matchmade with on a game without text or voice chat? Unlikely.
Hmm. I don't know about Hearthstone, but often there are dedicated Discord rooms for specific game servers, which results in you chatting with people you don't know.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Uh huh.

Sexual harassment in the UK is defined by the equality act. The equality act does not distinguish between harassment in the form of unwanted conduct of a sexual nature and harassment in the form of unwanted conduct pertaining to a protected characteristic for the purposes of humiliation, intimidation or violating a person's dignity.

The reason for this should be obvious, there isn't always a clear cut separation between these two forms of harassment. Unwanted sexual conduct often has the intention of degrading, humiliating or intimidating someone. Conversely, trying to humiliate or intimidate someone someone on the basis of sexual characteristics can be clearly sexual in nature. It's not always possible to draw a clear line between these two things, so the law simply doesn't.

You're free to use whatever personal definition of sexual harassment you want, but that's how the law works and it's not going to change.
Sorry, I was too harsh on my reply. Anything other than actually sexual in nature is just harassment to me. It would be like commenting on a woman's bitten nails and it being called sexual harassment because women usually have nicer nails than men. Actually touching someone sexually without consent or even invading their personal space is worse than making a comment.

It's worth remembering that people lead with their best arguments. If someone's best argument in defense of their actions is, "The 1st Amendment says you can't arrest me for saying this," consider how bad their other arguments had to be to come in second place or worse.
No the leading argument is that it wasn't a Title IX violation as it was claimed to be. In fact, the 1st Amendment was the last thing listed...

"It’s not sexual harassment under Title IX, under their own policy, under federal law, and it’s probably a First Amendment violation."

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
And one bit that didn't get talked about here.

Dave Chapelle was attacked on stage at the Hollywood Superbowl

The guy will face no criminal charges and only misdemeanours despite having been carrying a replica gun and a real knife when he ran on stage but because he wasn't openly waving them round he's not facing any charges for them relating to the attack.

The hilarious part of you bringing this up here is that Chapelle immediately joked about his attacker being a trans man, but it was actually a cis man maga trump supporter.

If anything, it should be in the other thread

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
The hilarious part of you bringing this up here is that Chapelle immediately joked about his attacker being a trans man, but it was actually a cis man maga trump supporter.

If anything, it should be in the other thread
Got a source on that?
Multiple sources I'm seeing was the guy was going it to try and bring attention to the gentrification problem in some areas.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

So to be clear somehow the person connected with their opponent on an entirely different service during a 10 minute randomly matched game of Hearthstone? Really?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
So is all Q-Anon anti-woke or is the Anti woke lot as it's called just also a number of other groups all being lumped together as "The Baddies" by a loose collection of people who believe they somehow see the world and systems in a way no-one else can and it's their job to wake everyone else up to how fucked up the world is and how if only everyone would do just what they said and not deviate at all from it the world would suddenly become a utopian society?
Are you talking about Q in the Anti-woke thread? Because most of them are self proclaimed anti-woke

If you talking about Q in general, I made no claim on them here. Anti-woke people usually call themselves anti-woke. Very loudly and frequently. Way more than some one part of Q. It's an identity

As you describe Q here, understand you've also described woke people. Eg. Tucker Carlson or Ben Shapiro can't get through a segment without saying woke is destroying society somehow. Baddies is the least of the claims of the anti-woke

Understand that being anti-woke is just some people trying to control your own personal identity politics. 'Woke' people cant understand why you target them instead of the actual problem

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Why?

Either everyone is entitled to civility, or no-one is. Which is it?
I'll tell you what it is

The only widely used "new" pronoun is the singular they/them (which, incidentally, is not new, you've certainly used it if you've been speaking English for any length of time).
Yeh but ye olde and verily fell out of fashion too in English. I mean Cuck is an old English term too.
I wouldn't argue that because it used to be used that it still really is relevant or appropriate to be used.

Ironically, earlier generations of queer people sometimes used intentionally obscure pronouns as a way of making themselves culturally unintelligable to cishet people, because they didn't live under any delusions about the fact that cishet people hated them and wanted them dead. The ubiquity of they/them has made that kind of unnecessary.

The irony is that I'm pretty sure the vast, vast majority of non-binary people don't actually care what pronouns you use, as long as you aren't a dick about it. If you are a dick about it, people are gonna be a dick to you back. You don't have a right not to be offended.
And being a dick about it is apparently just refusing to use whatever term they demand you use...........see the above image again.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
It hurts no one while helping a group often uncomfortable in their own skin, who frequently face hate and discrimination for acknowledging they feel that way.
Pretty sure there has been research showing those uncomfortable aren't made more comfortable by having a special between / nowhere state

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Understand that being anti-woke is just some people trying to control your own personal identity politics. 'Woke' people cant understand why you target them instead of the actual problem
Because half the bloody time they are the problem and the other half they're happily supporting the problem or caping for it.

So often it's their way or the high way with no other perspectives or options on the table.

So many fucking times it's been "This is suspicious maybe don't go all in here and maybe back off a bit because something doesn't seem right" and it's met with "Racist / Sexist / Bigot how dare you not blindly support the thing and dare ask questions". Then many months later it's "Oh if only some-one had asked questions"