General Gaming News.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Pretty much this. They could have demonstrated this game on literally any of the 1000's of planets that they have, and they chose the dull grey one.

Not exactly inspiring.
That's probably because that's how every planet is going to look. The idea of letting players visit a hundred full planets will never even meet a fraction of the expectations that a concept like that invokes in people. As soon as this was revealed eveyone knew what they were going to get; a bunch of empty planets with some squigly trees and bugs.

Also, it was almost nostalgic to see screen tearing again, but the fact that it was in a presentation... oof.

Brokencontroller

Elite Member
Dec 30, 2021
Country
usa
Starfield looks a lot like No Mans Sky. But somehow worse.

Dont people play Bethesda games for story and lore? Why not showcase that stuff? Unless there wont be any.....

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
So we can all agree that Starfield is going to be a piece of crap? Fine by me. After learning about 76's crunch abuse recently, I trust this game even less. Todd Howard did a thing called seagulling, where he would check in on 76's development briefly, and just crap on good ideas while most of his attention was on Starfield. That is not a good sign at all. As far as I'm concerned at this point, not that I did to begin with, Starfield and Howard can rot in hell. And the rest of Bethesda while I'm at it, when it comes to upper management. Most of the executive class in upper management and didn't even know what they wanted Fallout 76 to be. They also dismissed or ignored major concerns that could come up with the game from developers, and shot down ideas for no reason, other than just cuz. Them being bought out by Microsoft will change nothing.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Maybe, unlike FO4, once you've got a place up and running the people you leave there can handle things and not need you to come and wipe their arses for them every few hours.
Or, you could have built the settlement right... and it could defend itself.

Sorry, that was just a gripe about 4 that I never understood. Considering every time MY settlements got attacked... I'd just come back and see dead super mutants or raiders or whatever lying around, and my settlers fixing up damage on my defenses and turrets. As far as Starfield goes, for me it is a wait and see. Just like anything else these days it is going to be at least a month before it is patched into being in a playable state anyway. May as well wait and see if there is anything appealing to me.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
That's probably because that's how every planet is going to look. The idea of letting players visit a hundred full planets will never even meet a fraction of the expectations that a concept like that invokes in people.
That's been my argument against games like Starfield, Star Citizen and No Man's Sky:

"You'll be able to go to like a thousand planets!"
"Okay, and do what?"

I've been to a few dozen planets in NMS, even a few of the exotic ones, like ones made of glass or full of bubbles. The thing is, the diversity is skin-deep, and all you ever do on any of those worlds is gather a handful of resources so you can get back off the planet. Getting to name everything you discover first gets old really quick, especially knowing that the odds of someone else finding something you named is vanishingly small.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That's been my argument against games like Starfield, Star Citizen and No Man's Sky:

"Okay, and do what?"

I've been to a few dozen planets in NMS, even a few of the exotic ones, like ones made of glass or full of bubbles. The thing is, the diversity is skin-deep, and all you ever do on any of those worlds is gather a handful of resources so you can get back off the planet. Getting to name everything you discover first gets old really quick, especially knowing that the odds of someone else finding something you named is vanishingly small.
Makes you wonder why so many people fall for it and say, "No, this time it'll be different!". Vaz is laughing at these fools right now.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012

"Okay, and do what?"

Well thats more or less the general premise of open world survivals dating back into Minecraft (the ones that aren't PvP grief fests anyways).

You generally pick your biome/planet of preference to build a base in and everywhere else is just a quick trip to grab resources from.

With a handful of points of interest (usually added in later updates) to otherwise occupy you. Which is kind of where Starfield has the oppurtunity to fall hard. It hasn't had 6(NMS) to 12 (Minecraft) years of updates to flesh out things.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
With a handful of points of interest (usually added in later updates) to otherwise occupy you. Which is kind of where Starfield has the oppurtunity to fall hard. It hasn't had 6(NMS) to 12 (Minecraft) years of updates to flesh out things.
I highly doubt it's even going to get that many, or the wait will be too long in between each update.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I highly doubt it's even going to get that many, or the wait will be too long in between each update.
If FO76 is anything to go by, probably.

I'd assume the Beth "A Team" is gonna rush over to Elder Scrolls 6 the second this thing goes gold to get back on their cash cow train and try and make daddy Microsofts money back they spent on them, if they haven't already.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
So we can all agree that Starfield is going to be a piece of crap?
Well, it looks like the usual Bethesda stuff, so make of that what you will. Starfield on announcement seemingly was viewed as some next big leap for the Bethesda formula, and then people actually saw the game and were all 'oh yeah, it's just Bethesda'. That's how this always seems to go. I don't know what satanic rituals Bethesda performed to make people get so ludicrously hyped for just a title drop, knowing their track record.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
If FO76 is anything to go by, probably.

I'd assume the Beth "A Team" is gonna rush over to Elder Scrolls 6 the second this thing goes gold to get back on their cash cow train and try and make daddy Microsofts money back they spent on them, if they haven't already.
They never will, because that purchase was an insurance bet in an attempt to keep the Xbox brand relevant.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Sorry, that was just a gripe about 4 that I never understood. Considering every time MY settlements got attacked... I'd just come back and see dead super mutants or raiders or whatever lying around, and my settlers fixing up damage on my defenses and turrets
There was a hardcoded cap for defensive ratings of settlements for offscreen raid resolution and because the factors that determined a raid's size weren't capped... the algorithim for resolving off screen raids would derp out and the settlement would be overrun.

My actual gripe was I had to individually arm and armour every settler instead of just leaving a big stack of guns and armour in a room and them getting the idea that maybe they should avail themselves of them... the bastards certainly weren't shy in taking my power armour collection for a stroll if I forgot to remove the fusion cores.

Reactions: Zykon TheLich

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
There was a hardcoded cap for defensive ratings of settlements for offscreen raid resolution and because the factors that determined a raid's size weren't capped... the algorithim for resolving off screen raids would derp out and the settlement would be overrun.

My actual gripe was I had to individually arm and armour every settler instead of just leaving a big stack of guns and armour in a room and them getting the idea that maybe they should avail themselves of them... the bastards certainly weren't shy in taking my power armour collection for a stroll if I forgot to remove the fusion cores.
Never ran into that issue, not for any of the 5 characters I played through the game with (although 2 of them never built settlements at all so they don't really count, they never had one to get attacked in the first place). I wonder if that's because I generally retired a character when they hit level 40 or so (I was usually done with a playthrough around then) and I didn't insist on a "maxed out" character with every perk at max level or whatever. And giving better weaponry to each settler was just a part of how I defended my settlements. And the power armor one... never had a problem with that too, of course I had my extras all under lockdown in the garages I built for them. So I guess it makes sense random settlers couldn't get to them.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

"Okay, and do what?"

I agree, I feel like there should have been more talk about what the story is in the game, what the point of everything will be, what is going to drive the player forward to explore planet after planet. Because right now it does look so crazy similar to No Man's Sky that I can't help but wonder if it's going to be a game where you explore just because you can with no real purpose.

If it sits as exploration for the sake of exploration then Bethesda is foregoing the only real thing they had going for them in the first place. Bethesda games have always been weak showcases with great stories and dynamic questing within (at least until Fallout 4) to make it special.

If you count Skyrim as a good game, then it has been 12 years since Bethesda Game Works has released anything good. 12 fucking years!