Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I know Chimpzy linked a Nintendo Direct summary earlier but I wanted to point this out specifically. https://www.destructoid.com/nier-automata-is-coming-to-nintendo-switch-this-fall/

Has Platinum made a game that people revere the way people seem to revere Nier Automata. I personally thought the game was average at best and I don't understand why it has become Platinum's Skyrim.
I suspect it's partly because of how fucking weird, anime tropey and "philosophical" it is, but also because it's multi-platform in a way bayonetta(at least the first one) isn't so a lot more people had the chance to play it. Metal Gear Rising would be the other contender but that has become a lot more popular in recent years.

To be fair, Platnium has been re-releasing a number of their games for current platforms lately so they should get more attention.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Something something sexism in gaming. grumble.
I suspect it's partly because of how fucking weird, anime tropey and "philosophical" it is, but also because it's multi-platform in a way bayonetta(at least the first one) isn't. Metal Gear Rising would be the other contender but that has become a lot more popular in recent years.
Automata also saved Platinum from going bankrupt.

Reactions: Dalisclock

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I suspect it's partly because of how fucking weird, anime tropey and "philosophical" it is, but also because it's multi-platform in a way bayonetta(at least the first one) isn't so a lot more people had the chance to play it. Metal Gear Rising would be the other contender but that has become a lot more popular in recent years.

To be fair, Platnium has been re-releasing a number of their games for current platforms lately so they should get more attention.
I'm with CG on how weird it is that's it gotten super popular. If you like the weird story aspect, then it really pale in comparison to drakengard and even the original nier. Gameplay wise its also no better than them really (drakengard has that fun dynasty warrior mowing down army quality) and much worst than most platinum or devil may cry game. So I dunno, maybe if drakgengard came out now instead it would have been just as big.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I'm with CG on how weird it is that's it gotten super popular. If you like the weird story aspect, then it really pale in comparison to drakengard and even the original nier. Gameplay wise its also no better than them really (drakengard has that fun dynasty warrior mowing down army quality) and much worst than most platinum or devil may cry game. So I dunno, maybe if drakgengard came out now instead it would have been just as big.
I think the problem was that Drakengard is that it was a PS2 Exclusive and everything I've heard about it is that it was notable for how fucking bleak and cynical it was rather then being particularly fun to play(like most if not all of the characters were basically awful to some extent or another, one of them apparently being a pedo in the original japanese). Apparently you had to 100% the game to see all the endings but each ending actually became worse and worse, IIRC. Nier at least released on the PS3 and XBOX but I think it just didn't appeal to a lot of people for whatever reason.

I'm not saying the games were failures because they clearly got enough success to warrant sequels and spinoffs but not enough to really get that much attention beyond it's core fanbase. Nier Automata did get a lot of attention in the wider gamer community, for any number of reasons. WIth Nier getting a re-release recently it's gotten some attention as well from people who played Automata.

Last edited:
Reactions: meiam and BrawlMan

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
OG Nier was held back by... the appearance of it's protagonist (Nier). They released an alternate version in Japan after the first that's only significant change was changing the burly dad Nier into a handsome brother Nier and it sold way better.

Nier Automata does have a positive ending in there (I haven't played it but it has one from what I hear) which probably does help compared to the previous two games being "Screw you, life sucks".

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
OG Nier was held back by... the appearance of it's protagonist (Nier). They released an alternate version in Japan after the first that's only significant change was changing the burly dad Nier into a handsome brother Nier and it sold way better.
The irony is that most people in the west prefer Papa Nier, while most in Japan prefer Big Brother. Whene the Remake came out, most people in the west found out Taro used the big brother version, abd there were minor complaints. The Remake sold well, so it showed that there weren't that many people complaining about it being more like the Japanese version.

Nier Automata does have a positive ending in there (I haven't played it but it has one from what I hear) which probably does help compared to the previous two games being "Screw you, life sucks".
The problem with the original Drakengard series as a whole, was that it was just discount Berserk. Especially the first game. Taro was just on a deconstruction and edgy binge. He had nothing to do with the second game though, which explains why it's more upbeat by comparison. Nier is more cynical compared to its sequel, but still had some heartwarming moments in most of the endings were bittersweet. Especially that final ending.

Last edited:
Reactions: Specter Von Baren

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
The irony is that most people in the west prefer Papa Nier, while most in Japan prefer Big Brother.
I call this the "Cloud vs. Fenix Conundrum". Westerners prefer the buff, grizzled, stubble-bearing hero (Marcus Fenix), while Japan goes for the more slender bishonen type who somehow swings a fifty-pound sword without using their biceps (Cloud Strife).

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
The irony is that most people in the west prefer Papa Nier, while most in Japan prefer Big Brother. From the Remake came out and most people in the west found out they're using the big brother version, there were minor complaints. Do we make sold well, so it showed that there weren't that many people complaining about being more like the Japanese version.

The problem with the original Drakengard series as a whole was that, it was just discount Berserk. Especially the first game. Taro was just on a deconstruction and edgy binge. He had nothing to do with the second game though, which explains why it's more upbeat by comparison. Nier is more cynical compared to its sequel, but still had some heartwarming moments in most of the endings were bittersweet. Especially that final ending.
I also feel like there's a bunch of moments in Nier that work better with younger Nier. Specifically his more dumbass moments are a bit jarring when done by 30-40 something Papa Nier rather than Teen-20 something Big Bro Nier.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I also feel like there's a bunch of moments in Nier that work better with younger Nier. Specifically his more dumbass moments are a bit jarring when done by 30-40 something Papa Nier rather than Teen-20 something Big Bro Nier.
I actually don't remember everything about the game, but age ain't usually mutually exclusive to do dumbass things. There's plenty of people in their 30s and 40s that done foolish or super dumb stuff. Obviously some segments or character moments work better depending on the version, but I think it just boils down the personal preference or taste.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I actually don't remember everything about the game, but age ain't usually mutually exclusive to do dumbass things. There's plenty of people in their 30s and 40s that done foolish or super dumb stuff. Obviously some segments or character moments work better depending on the version, but I think it just boils down the personal preference or taste.
It's not being a dumbass but how he'd be a dumbass that felt more like something a younger person would do. It's been a long time but I think it was a kind of "jittery" ignorance that seemed unlike an older person who I would expect to be a more... (?)confident(?) dumbass?

As you said, some moments work better depending on the version or who's playing it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It's not being a dumbass but how he'd be a dumbass that felt more like something a younger person would do. It's been a long time but I think it was a kind of "jittery" ignorance that seemed unlike an older person who I would expect to be a more... (?)confident(?) dumbass?

As you said, some moments work better depending on the version or who's playing it.
And there you go. I never actually played the original Nier. I've only washed playthroughs with commentary. I saw a video of the Japanese version to look at the comparisons and differences back in the early 2010s.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
It's very odd to me how Nintendo milks some franchises to death, while others they seem to completely have forgotten about.

Thena gain maybe they don't bother with F-Zero because it's basically Mario Kart without the weapons and they figure that it is redundant.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It's very odd to me how Nintendo milks some franchises to death, while others they seem to completely have forgotten about.

Thena gain maybe they don't bother with F-Zero because it's basically Mario Kart without the weapons and they figure that it is redundant.
F-Zero plays nothing like Mario Kart. Especially when you take the N64 and GameCube games into account. Hell, FZ plays nothing like WP despite searing some similarities. Wipeout is a much more slower paced racing game though. If anything, Wipeout is closer to Mario Kart then F-Zero. Wipeout is a franchise that's always been on a PlayStation console. Blur is closer to Mario Kart. For further proof, either play, or look up Fast RMX on Switch is the best modern F-Zero game ever made.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Two very different flavors though. We might as well compare Castlevania with SMB because they’re both technically platformers.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
F-Zero plays nothing like Mario Kart. Especially when you take the N64 and GameCube games into account. Hell, FZ plays nothing light wipe out despite searing some similarities. Wipeout is a much more slower paced racing game though. If anything, Wipeout is closer to Mario Kart then F-Zero. And Wipeout as a franchise that's always been on a PlayStation console. Blue is closer to Mario Kart. For further proof, either play, or look up Fast RMX on Switch. Is the best modern F-zero game ever made you.
WipEout is slower paced? Even on WipEout's Phantom settings?