Why You Should Have Your Eye On Florida

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
That is not a concession, that is my point. You've taken the position that one option is permanent and the other is reversible, and neither option is reversible. Decision permanence can be argued either direction, hence, it's a wash. Even if we pretend that employing literally the same procedure as the chemical castration (pioneered by John Money for use with pedophiles) actually has no long term effects, the years of what their life would have been are gone permanently, along with all the formative experiences that would have been.
"Reversible" obviously-- obviously-- doesn't mean you can go back in time to undo the decision. It means you can undo the effects afterwards to a degree.

That degree is not 100% in either case. But it's much closer and easier with hormonal blockers than puberty.

So the "time" argument applies equally in both cases. But the ability to mitigate/ reverse the effects after that time applies far more in one case than the other.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
So the "time" argument applies equally in both cases. But the ability to mitigate/ reverse the effects after that time applies far more in one case than the other.
"Not at all" is exactly the same in degree as "not at all".

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
"Not at all" is exactly the same in degree as "not at all".
So you believe the effects of hormonal blockers are completely impossible to mitigate or undo after the fact?

Well that's just... factually, demonstrably false.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Welp, Florida has decided that hormone blockers, replacements, and surgeries aren't medically necessary for a gender dysphoria diagnosis, to Medicaid isn't going to pay for it. Which gives private insurance the perfect excuse to not pay for it.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Welp, Florida has decided that hormone blockers, replacements, and surgeries aren't medically necessary for a gender dysphoria diagnosis, to Medicaid isn't going to pay for it. Which gives private insurance the perfect excuse to not pay for it.
So, dare I ask, did they consult the medical profession over this? I mean, properly ask the medical profession as a whole, rather than just whistle up some rando MD who'd say what they wanted?

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
So, dare I ask, did they consult the medical profession over this? I mean, properly ask the medical profession as a whole, rather than just whistle up some rando MD who'd say what they wanted?
Why would they do that? Their goal here isn't "ensure public health"; it's "make the trans people stop being".

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
They brought in a ringer to pretend to

Reactions: Agema

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Why would they do that? Their goal here isn't "ensure public health"; it's "make the trans people stop being".
Because science has a privileged role in public perception as a medium of truth. This means that even people spouting gross untruths often feel a need to put up some sort of scientific (/medical) justification, whether pseudoscience or just barefaced lies.

They brought in a ringer to pretend to
Any "medical" association that purports to discuss transitioning and spends more time discussing the Bible, "Christian anthropology" (!!) and theology than it does scientific and medical literature isn't providing useful medical advice.

Reactions: BrawlMan