Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I learned that Australia has combined two existing agencies to stand up its own version of FEMA, and we have named it……NEMA: National Emergency Management Agency. Creativity truly is lacking in Australia’s civil institutions xD
If you want to feel better, you can always point and laugh at the US military and it's bizarre inability to stick to a naming theme.

Virginia class attack subs

Seawolf class attack subs

As a former US Navy guy, I know I do. Serious guys, was the guy who picked out the names here out sick or something?

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Nay, invite them in with this playing in the background. Make sure to have an exorbitant number of locks on the door once they come in, and make an obvious display as you meticulously lock each and every one. Appear overly interested in whatever they're saying, and insist they stay while they squirm trying to find a reason to leave. Make big eyes; don't blink. And once or twice, excuse yourself to shush someone or something in an adjacent room; lock that door too. Offer them meat; don't specify what type.
All of which will be merely the appetizer before they must find their way through to the exit beyond The Funhouse of Nibbly Flesh Curiosities!

Reactions: Xprimentyl

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

I recall reading about something like this before, but it just goes to show we have some vital prerequisites to work out before we’re ready to ever leave this planet. These are merely short local trips too from a space flight perspective.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

I don’t recall ever watching more than one Jordan Peterson video but they occasionally crop up in my front page. What I found most intriguing though was a comment -

Steve Guse
5 months ago
Here is something the video didn't tell you.. Battled fatigue my entire life. Even though I am near peak fitness, sleep regularly, limit screen time, watch my diet, and don't do drugs. Not even alcohol. Felt like I needed a nap throughout the day my entire life...Now I sleep 4-6 hrs and run like a machine. It took me 38 years to figure it out..take it or leave it.

1. Walk barefoot. Studies prove it. You are fatigued because you lack ENERGY. We are electric beings and the earth has a grounded charge. We evolved this way. It is vital we connect. To every cell in your body. Minimum 15 minutes a day, but longer the better. Sand, dirt, rock, cement are best. No asphalt, not sure about grass. More conductivity when wet. The effects are immediate but you likely won't "feel" it until the following morning. Keep at it a few days and you'll never turn back. Energy like a kid again. No shit.

2. Sun. Even better while grounded. Get some color.

3. Never eat past 6 pm. Very lightly if you must.

4. Meditate daily. Find the time. Everything about you improves with a relaxed mind.

5. Breathework before bed. 5 minutes is enough. I do 3 rounds of "breathe of fire"

6. Remove sugar almost completely from your diet. Sugar is a drug and you are likely a junkie. It won't be easy. After you push through withdrawal (yes) which may take 2 weeks to a month the "false"energy you received from sugar will be replaced by "golden" energy. Like when you were a kid. You won't want to go back. Although, cravings will still rear up..have fruit ready.

7. Limit EMF exposure. Grounding combats this very effectively. NEVER sleep with a cell in your room. Absolutely no Bluetooth headphones. Less time around electronics the better. Get outside.

8. Fasting. Late breakfast early supper. Most yogis eat once a day and live to 100 with high energy. Every so often mix in a legit fast. I like 24- 36 hours. Past that I lose muscle but everyone is different.

I hope someone reads this and it helps them

Kind of a tall order in modern life but I’d try a few of these if they actually yield any benefits.

Reactions: EvilRoy

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Today I learned that Director John Landis and Eddie Murphy got into an actual physical fight on the set of Coming To America. Too many differing accounts to paint a clear picture of what it was over; many speculate it was over a joke that was taken the wrong way, and no one can agree on who started it, but it ended up ruining their very close relationship forged during there time spent making Trading Places (the film that pretty much launched Murphy into superstardom.)

They finished the film (obviously,) but didn't speak to one another the rest of the time, communicating through liaisons and disagreeing with each other at nearly every step. Murphy didn't speak to Landis at the film's premier, and Landis didn't hear from him again until YEARS later when he got an unexpected call from someone at Paramount asking him to direct Beverly Hills Cop III... at Murphy's behest.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011

I don’t recall ever watching more than one Jordan Peterson video but they occasionally crop up in my front page. What I found most intriguing though was a comment -

Kind of a tall order in modern life but I’d try a few of these if they actually yield any benefits.
Ive had mild to moderate success with 6 and 8, and both of those are actually common suggestions in diet/health/fitness research. You always have to take those with a grain of salt though, because usually by study completion the sample size is fairly small (people drop out of the study over time but the study goes on regardless).

The sugar thing seems widely supported. Sugar seems to be addictive, and the perplexing way a lot of premade food is cooked up often results in a lot of regular ass sugar getting added. Some preservatives or preservation methods taste like shit, so you get a lot of acids added to cover it up and then you cover the acid up with sugar for instance. So you probably get too much of it without even realizing because you aren't eating 'sweet foods'.

I'm no expert on sugar addiction, but having dealt with the night sweats from needing a cig at 1am and being too tired to get up I totally believe sugar addiction, or any addiction, could fuck with sleep. Since going out of my to cut back I do feel generally better but it's hard to be certain whether it's because I beat an addiction or if it's because I'm a little less fat.

As to number 8 - I dunno if fasting is the best ever, but I do know a lot of studies support keeping mealtime way far from bedtime. The reasons vary a lot though. Some stuff just goes right back to dear old dad looking for tums or sitting on the can in the middle of the night - acid reflux or needing to poop/pee in the middle of the night reduces sleep quality. Go figure. Other stuff I've read has presented the argument that humans are adaptive regarding sleep cycles and eating is telling your body "this is hunt and eat time so stay awake". No idea how valid that is. Not needing to take a 3am piss has me sleeping way better tho.

This is all from the annals of "Roy is trying to lose weight without unhealthy crash dieting" though, so don't take this as anything more than my experience.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

Steve Guse
5 months ago
Here is something the video didn't tell you.. Battled fatigue my entire life. Even though I am near peak fitness, sleep regularly, limit screen time, watch my diet, and don't do drugs. Not even alcohol. Felt like I needed a nap throughout the day my entire life...Now I sleep 4-6 hrs and run like a machine. It took me 38 years to figure it out..take it or leave it.

1. Walk barefoot. Studies prove it. You are fatigued because you lack ENERGY. We are electric beings and the earth has a grounded charge. We evolved this way. It is vital we connect. To every cell in your body. Minimum 15 minutes a day, but longer the better. Sand, dirt, rock, cement are best. No asphalt, not sure about grass. More conductivity when wet. The effects are immediate but you likely won't "feel" it until the following morning. Keep at it a few days and you'll never turn back. Energy like a kid again. No shit.

2. Sun. Even better while grounded. Get some color.

3. Never eat past 6 pm. Very lightly if you must.

4. Meditate daily. Find the time. Everything about you improves with a relaxed mind.

5. Breathework before bed. 5 minutes is enough. I do 3 rounds of "breathe of fire"

6. Remove sugar almost completely from your diet. Sugar is a drug and you are likely a junkie. It won't be easy. After you push through withdrawal (yes) which may take 2 weeks to a month the "false"energy you received from sugar will be replaced by "golden" energy. Like when you were a kid. You won't want to go back. Although, cravings will still rear up..have fruit ready.

7. Limit EMF exposure. Grounding combats this very effectively. NEVER sleep with a cell in your room. Absolutely no Bluetooth headphones. Less time around electronics the better. Get outside.

8. Fasting. Late breakfast early supper. Most yogis eat once a day and live to 100 with high energy. Every so often mix in a legit fast. I like 24- 36 hours. Past that I lose muscle but everyone is different.

I hope someone reads this and it helps them

See, some of these are pretty good suggestions - although I’m not sure I’d buy into this ‘we are electric beings’ thing. Walking is good for everyone and everything. I don’t know about barefoot but if you’re confident you won’t step on glass or get a needle stick injury then go for it. Removing sugar from the diet; absolutely a good idea and no further elaboration is required. Sun, excellent source of vitamin d (I think); just make sure to wear sunscreen and a decent hat.

Of course with symptoms like that I’d also recommend getting a sleep study done for sleep apnoea. I’ve got it and those symptoms are a pretty big indicator he might have it.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
See, some of these are pretty good suggestions - although I’m not sure I’d buy into this ‘we are electric beings’ thing. Walking is good for everyone and everything. I don’t know about barefoot but if you’re confident you won’t step on glass or get a needle stick injury then go for it. Removing sugar from the diet; absolutely a good idea and no further elaboration is required. Sun, excellent source of vitamin d (I think); just make sure to wear sunscreen and a decent hat.

Of course with symptoms like that I’d also recommend getting a sleep study done for sleep apnoea. I’ve got it and those symptoms are a pretty big indicator he might have it.
I have to wonder if any of those were tested in isolation or if it's just some of them work(dumping sugar) so the person assumes all of them work.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Walking is good, barefoot walking for "ions" or whatever is a good way to step in poo, glass, or pick up worms (it's bunk. Ions do not work that way), sun is great for vitamin D (15 minutes if you're white, longer the more melanin you have, sunscreen theoretically blocks it but practically doesn't really have an effect. Need longer the further north or south you are and if the area has air pollution, getting color is of no benefit by itself)
Not eating late, meditation and breathing are fine, if they help go for it

Sugar is just carbs, your body is stupid like that. Different *forms* of sugar can have some effect, but it's mostly just high fructose syrups that are "bad", white sugar and fruit sugar have basically the same chemical composition, it's the ancillary vitamins and fibers that make fruit better for you.

EMF...lmao. Satellite TV, Internet, wireless routers and cell towers exist. The only reason not to have a cellphone in your room is that using it right before you sleep or after you wake up can fuck up your circadian rhythm.

Fasting like that with no clear medical objective is just an eating disorder.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
I don’t know about barefoot but if you’re confident you won’t step on glass or get a needle stick injury then go for it.

Sun, excellent source of vitamin d (I think); just make sure to wear sunscreen and a decent hat.
They are the recommendations of someone who, apart from other issues, doesn't live anywhere that has a season I'd recognise as Summer.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Ive had mild to moderate success with 6 and 8, and both of those are actually common suggestions in diet/health/fitness research. You always have to take those with a grain of salt though, because usually by study completion the sample size is fairly small (people drop out of the study over time but the study goes on regardless).

The sugar thing seems widely supported. Sugar seems to be addictive, and the perplexing way a lot of premade food is cooked up often results in a lot of regular ass sugar getting added. Some preservatives or preservation methods taste like shit, so you get a lot of acids added to cover it up and then you cover the acid up with sugar for instance. So you probably get too much of it without even realizing because you aren't eating 'sweet foods'.

I'm no expert on sugar addiction, but having dealt with the night sweats from needing a cig at 1am and being too tired to get up I totally believe sugar addiction, or any addiction, could fuck with sleep. Since going out of my to cut back I do feel generally better but it's hard to be certain whether it's because I beat an addiction or if it's because I'm a little less fat.

As to number 8 - I dunno if fasting is the best ever, but I do know a lot of studies support keeping mealtime way far from bedtime. The reasons vary a lot though. Some stuff just goes right back to dear old dad looking for tums or sitting on the can in the middle of the night - acid reflux or needing to poop/pee in the middle of the night reduces sleep quality. Go figure. Other stuff I've read has presented the argument that humans are adaptive regarding sleep cycles and eating is telling your body "this is hunt and eat time so stay awake". No idea how valid that is. Not needing to take a 3am piss has me sleeping way better tho.

This is all from the annals of "Roy is trying to lose weight without unhealthy crash dieting" though, so don't take this as anything more than my experience.
I'm certain sugar is addictive in a low-level way. I don't think it generates cravings in the same way that alcohol or nicotine do, but maybe that's because it's so easy to sate (i.e. it's everywhere). Alcohol obviously is too, but no one looks at you funny if you have a pack of Haribo at 10am.

My anecdotal evidence on weight loss: The problem is alcohol. I have been an on/off runner since about 2006; my mileage has been lower in the last 8 or so years but still averaging 30/40 miles a week when I'm 'on' running. I've also been a heavy drinker since 2007, probably averaging 1000 calories a day on booze (and I really do mean daily). My weight over that time has always been pretty consistently between 72 and 77kg. I quit drinking in October last year (completely, absolutely and will never drink again) at 77kg. My weight dropped like a fucking rock -- down to 64kg or so in about 8 weeks. Only things I changed was that I stopped drinking and ate a lot more than I had been (I was hungry all the time for a while).

I still have a lot of sugar in my diet mind you, but I'm trying to gain weight so that's okay for now. Fasting is a non-starter as far as I can see if you're trying to gain muscle weight -- there just isn't enough eating windows in the day to consume what you need in a series of small portions if you cut off too much of the day for fasting.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
I understand summer plenty. Its why I don't go outside much between the months of October and May
Not you, I mean the recommendations you were responding to. Sorry for not making that clear.

Only a lunatic or someone who's never experienced a bastard summer would advocate walking around barefoot on cement or recommend doing anything in the sun without triple underlining the need to be 'sun smart'.

Maybe living in a country where you can get sunburn inside your own house has made us a bit overly sensitive to this stuff.

Reactions: Gordon_4

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
FFS…Gotta wonder what the sample group consisted of to get most of those blue percentages.
According to you.gov, random sample of the general population. Dunno how rigorous of a group they are though

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Not you, I mean the recommendations you were responding to. Sorry for not making that clear.

Only a lunatic or someone who's never experienced a bastard summer would advocate walking around barefoot on cement or recommend doing anything in the sun without triple underlining the need to be 'sun smart'.

Maybe living in a country where you can get sunburn inside your own house has made us a bit overly sensitive to this stuff.
Most assuredly.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
According to you.gov, random sample of the general population. Dunno how rigorous of a group they are though
In any case it’s kinda pathetic how clueless *we* apparently are. The wealthiest people thing for instance, where it’s been what I thought was pretty common knowledge about “the 1%” group, yet somehow it turned into 30%. Just smh.

In a way I blame sensationalism in media (especially the social variety), which has seemingly inflated peoples’ perceptions of things to borderline delirium status.

Last edited:

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
I'm certain sugar is addictive in a low-level way. I don't think it generates cravings in the same way that alcohol or nicotine do, but maybe that's because it's so easy to sate (i.e. it's everywhere). Alcohol obviously is too, but no one looks at you funny if you have a pack of Haribo at 10am.

My anecdotal evidence on weight loss: The problem is alcohol. I have been an on/off runner since about 2006; my mileage has been lower in the last 8 or so years but still averaging 30/40 miles a week when I'm 'on' running. I've also been a heavy drinker since 2007, probably averaging 1000 calories a day on booze (and I really do mean daily). My weight over that time has always been pretty consistently between 72 and 77kg. I quit drinking in October last year (completely, absolutely and will never drink again) at 77kg. My weight dropped like a fucking rock -- down to 64kg or so in about 8 weeks. Only things I changed was that I stopped drinking and ate a lot more than I had been (I was hungry all the time for a while).

I still have a lot of sugar in my diet mind you, but I'm trying to gain weight so that's okay for now. Fasting is a non-starter as far as I can see if you're trying to gain muscle weight -- there just isn't enough eating windows in the day to consume what you need in a series of small portions if you cut off too much of the day for fasting.
The majority of what I've seen regarding sugar addiction seems to be related to the detox effects rather than the actual cravings. There's definitely an endorphin chasing aspect, but for the most part it seems to be a discussion of end of day crashes, headaches and low energy. Considering sugar will dehydrate a person as well my read is that if you can exit the cycle of boost/crash that's all you really need as far as day to day. Basically, you can't sleep well if you're in the middle of a crash when you go to bed - I take caffeine to work the same way and try to cut that off mid afternoon.

Fasting is definitely a weird one. I support getting your breakfast an hour away from waking and getting supper probably four hours away from bed just to give your stomach time to move it along and avoid the bathroom/heartburn issues. Beyond that, I doubt eating one huge meal a day is particularly better for a person compared to spreading meals across the other 11 waking hours a day. Is that a 'fast' still? the term for awfully broad so it's hard to say. You're right that it would definitely make high protein consumption more difficult though. I'm not sure how to work around that. Tuna I guess.

Congratulations on dropping the booze by the way. It's good for your health and your pocket book. You're coming up on a year which is a hell of a milestone.

Reactions: Baffle