The Alarm Is Sounding On NFTs

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
As a Filipino, I hope he slips on a banana peel and plants his asshole squarely on a pinecone that will also give him herpes. Genuinely, what a fucking loser.
He will get his at some point. The loser must love living in a dream world. He can also get kicked a million times in the dick with a spiked 🥾 wrapped in razor wire.

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

This is horrible. Like... I guess making some money is better than making no money but it's impossible for me to imagine people suggesting this stuff as anything other than a worse version of the monopoly guy.
Look, it's going to have to suffice until we can legalize forcing welfare recipients to participate in real-life battle royales.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Look, it's going to have to suffice until we can legalize forcing welfare recipients to participate in real-life battle royales.
Ha! I'd watch... until I realize, as one of those Americans only a few paychecks shy of financial ruin, I'd be one, good hospital stay away from strapping on a toaster helmet and hubcap body armor and joining the fray myself.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
I used to know a guy (former DM) who would openly and vociferously argue for gladiatorial combat for prisoners, also calling for offering the prisoners better conditions or amenities and a cut of the proceeds in exchange for performance. He'd always emphasize that it would need to be a voluntary system, and that specific prisoners wanting to fight each other specifically should be prioritized on the schedule.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

Get fucked, miners.

Reactions: BrawlMan

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011

Get fucked, miners.
I keep checking Kijiji for second hand cards. On one hand, a former mining card probably doesn't have a long life ahead of it, on the other hand considering they are about to become slightly less valuable than the toy in a kracker jack box it may not matter.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I keep checking Kijiji for second hand cards. On one hand, a former mining card probably doesn't have a long life ahead of it, on the other hand considering they are about to become slightly less valuable than the toy in a kracker jack box it may not matter.
Not necessarily. Competent miners run their cards undervolted at lower wattages so they can keep mining longer, meaning more return on investment. Probably take better care of them than the average gamer too. So newer cards can still be in great shape with a good amount of gaming years left. Tho still risky, but that's kind of inherent to buying secondhand hardware from randos.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007

Get fucked, miners.
Need to polish my tap shoes; I've got a grave to dance on.

Competent miners
That's the hard part: Telling apart the competent miners from the dumb ones.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Yeah. I mean, on the one hand that makes sense, on the other hand I shipped a mining rig for a local mining company (that I want to firebomb) and it looked like it was buried in sand at some point.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Yeah. I mean, on the one hand that makes sense, on the other hand I shipped a mining rig for a local mining company (that I want to firebomb) and it looked like it was buried in sand at some point.
Yeah, you get those too, but I'd say that isn't so much a "crypto miner" problem as just a general "people don't know how to maintain their shit and/or are filthy" problem.

Like, blowing out the dust a couple time a year already makes a world of difference and takes like 5 minutes, ffs.

EvilRoy

Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Yeah, you get those too, but I'd say that isn't so much a "crypto miner" problem as just a general "people don't know how to maintain their shit and/or are filthy" problem.

Like, blowing out the dust a couple time a year already makes a world of difference and takes like 5 minutes, ffs.
I was researching signs of poor maintenance online to see what I should watch out for, and one of the first things is seeing the last time the thermal paste was replaced.

I didn't even know thermal paste can be replaced on graphics cards. So uh. Whoops. Maybe my card is actually doing well...

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
I didn't even know thermal paste can be replaced on graphics cards. So uh. Whoops. Maybe my card is actually doing well...
Unless either the card is pretty old or you have been running it very hard, replacing thermal paste on a GPU isn't likely to be necessary. But yeah, it can lose effectiveness just like the paste on a CPU, and can also be replaced (though taking the card apart to do so can be tricky, depending on manufacturer).

EvilRoy

Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Unless either the card is pretty old or you have been running it very hard, replacing thermal paste on a GPU isn't likely to be necessary. But yeah, it can lose effectiveness just like the paste on a CPU, and can also be replaced (though taking the card apart to do so can be tricky, depending on manufacturer).
Its been five years, so probably by now I should be doing something. The machine needs a clean and I have a bunch of thermal paste left over from the last time I did my cpu though so its probably no big deal.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Its been five years, so probably by now I should be doing something. The machine needs a clean and I have a bunch of thermal paste left over from the last time I did my cpu though so its probably no big deal.
Honestly, unless you've been getting heat shutdowns running at default settings, replacing the thermal paste falls into the 'fixing shit that ain't broke' category.

Reactions: EvilRoy

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Five years shouldn't be a problem. I'm talking more ten to fifteen of regular, reasonable use.

Honestly, unless you've been getting heat shutdowns running at default settings, replacing the thermal paste falls into the 'fixing shit that ain't broke' category.
Very much this. If you're really worried, use a temperature-monitoring program to keep an eye on the thermals. So long as you don't pass the 80-90°C mark for more than half a minute while playing a graphically-intensive game, you're probably good- and if you do, look into making sure that the fan curves are properly set first.

EvilRoy

Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Five years shouldn't be a problem. I'm talking more ten to fifteen of regular, reasonable use.

Very much this. If you're really worried, use a temperature-monitoring program to keep an eye on the thermals. So long as you don't pass the 80-90°C mark for more than half a minute while playing a graphically-intensive game, you're probably good- and if you do, look into making sure that the fan curves are properly set first.
Fair enough, I'll check that out. I do desperately need to clean out the guts of this thing thanks to a combination of cat and time, but avoiding having to figure out how to dismantle a graphics card would be nice.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.