The Alarm Is Sounding On NFTs

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Yeah, fuck 'em. If all blockchain can offer to gaming is pyramid schemes and attempts to turn our hobby into shitty jobs then it can fuck right off. Maybe it could add more but none of the shills seem to think that's worth investigating.
I've only ever heard lip service being paid to the idea of NFTs actually improving video games. The conversation seems centered on "here's how you can turn your relaxing hobby into another grind, because every moment of your waking life should be aimed at profit", along with a dozen variations of the old get-rich-quick schemes.

Reactions: BrawlMan

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
I've only ever heard lip service being paid to the idea of NFTs actually improving video games.
Because it's all a load of fucking bollocks. All that 'amazeballs' shit they claim you could do with NFTs can be done without them... and usually has been done, just without the crypto-douchery.

The conversation seems centered on "here's how you can turn your relaxing hobby into another grind, because every moment of your waking life should be aimed at profit", along with a dozen variations of the old get-rich-quick schemes.
IMO, that's because the people in favour of cryptofuckheadery in gaming can be summed up with one word: "Cunce".

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Fair enough, I'll check that out. I do desperately need to clean out the guts of this thing thanks to a combination of cat and time
If you haven't already, you might want to look into mounting some filter screens on the fan vents of your rig.

but avoiding having to figure out how to dismantle a graphics card would be nice.
Save that for if you ever decide to go open loop watercooling and think mounting a waterblock on the GPU would be keen.

Reactions: EvilRoy

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Fuck that forever. If I have to go custom loop, I'm giving up PC gaming.
Closed loop isn't much better insofar as you still have to disassemble your GPU card... although degree of disassembly depends on card and watercooler manufacturers.

But yeah, open loop can be a massive pain to install and an absolute chore to maintain. The only advantages it has are it's currently the only reliable way to watercool both CPU and GPU off a single radiator (multi-radiator setups are a different set of problems) and that you can go completely batshit banana loopy with customising your set up (mentalist case modders love open loop watercooling). Basically, I'm saying openloop is for hardcore OCers, 'my rig is also art' case modders and people with pretentions to being either/both of those.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
If you haven't already, you might want to look into mounting some filter screens on the fan vents of your rig.

Save that for if you ever decide to go open loop watercooling and think mounting a waterblock on the GPU would be keen.
Filter screens are a good idea, I just cleaned it and I could have made another pet out of all the dust and fur in there. It's a good thing I didn't try to check the GPU after all because I used all my thermal paste on the cpu - stupid heatsink design means I have to basically completely remove it to clean the dust out.

Honestly I looked at water cooling for a while because I thought that if I just put the radiator outside the case it would be easier to keep clean, but the reality of growing my computer in size and installing tendrils that I would have to upkeep was pretty off-putting.

Reactions: RhombusHatesYou

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
You say that, yet I consider how much BS video game publishers have managed to push through over the years that at first was met with resistance until it became standard.
Once again: good luck with that; not happening.

Most people and gamers don't want NFTs/blockchains. A majority of them have already failed. The only reason this is still "going" are either rich jackasses with nothing better to do, people who got suckered in and trying to sucker someone else trying to get out, and the few that are super naive and have no idea what they've gotten themselves in to doing. NFTs failed and have a very vocal minority throwing a tantrum, and not knowing when to move on (to the next scam).

Reactions: RhombusHatesYou

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Most people and gamers don't want NFTs/blockchains. A majority of them have already failed. The only reason this is still "going" are either rich jackasses with nothing better to do, people who got suckered in and trying to sucker someone else trying to get out, and the few that are super naive and have no idea what they've gotten themselves in to doing. NFTs failed and have a very vocal minority throwing a tantrum, and not knowing when to move on (to the next scam).
And let's not forget that the NFT shills and cryptowankers made so much noise about TEH MUNNIES that several jurisdictions are working on laws to make digital assets subject to tax assessment. Fun!

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
And let's not forget that the NFT shills and cryptowankers made so much noise about TEH MUNNIES that several jurisdictions are working on laws to make digital assets subject to tax assessment. Fun!
Crypto bros: "Hey buddy, you can make a mint and the government won't even know!"
Government: "Really? Oh, do tell me more."
Crypto bros: "Uhhh... nobody here but us chickens. Ba-bawk!"

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
They updated the article. To, like, 38

View attachment 7176
Speaking as someone who owns a Meta (Oculus), I truely have no idea how this was supposed to go. Like. I own the thing, and I know about the program, and nobody has at any time explained to me why specifically I would want to use it. I don't mean that in an ironic "uh, I don't care about vr chat dad" way, but in an "I know it exists but nobody has actually tried to sell it to me" way.

As far as I've seen it's like a scaled down second life with no fetish servers so it's probably not for me anyway, but still. I shouldn't have needed to look that up myself in spite of owning the damn hardware for it.

I swear Facebook just assumed everyone would blow their belt buckles in excitement so they allocated no marketing budget.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

This just in, a company buying up homes to make you rent them fucks around and finds out.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
The executives delve too greedily and too deep...
You know, a lot of creative types I follow on social media wouldn't stop gushing out that show.

Until they see that headline, anyway