BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It is one of the best Brawlers around.
Definitely the most content rich, and still getting updates. My main problem with Fn'R is the padding in later stages, and some plain unfair boss fight towards the end of the game. I already mentioned this back in the SOR4 thread. It's why I favor SOR4 and The TakeOver over Fn'R. Somedays I would take Final Vendetta over Fn'R. Fn'R is better than Speed Brawl, Way of the Passive Fist, I Am The Hero, Super Punch Patrol, Mother Russia Bleeds, Battletoads (2020), Dawn of the Monsters, and Mayhem Brawler.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Definitely the most content rich, and still getting updates. My main problem with Fn'R is the padding in later stages, and some plain unfair boss fight towards the end of the game. I already mentioned this back in the SOR4 thread. It's why I favor SOR4 and The TakeOver over Fn'R. Somedays I would take Final Vendetta over Fn'R. Fn'R is better than Speed Brawl, Way of the Passive Fist, I Am The Hero, Super Punch Patrol, Mother Russia Bleeds, Battletoads (2020), Dawn of the Monsters, and Mayhem Brawler.
Well, kinda, I think the last patch was early this year and I'm not sure its getting another one. It does feel like it wants to have more content or a sequel, which we will hopefully get.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Well, kinda, I think the last patch was early this year and I'm not sure its getting another one. It does feel like it wants to have more content or a sequel, which we will hopefully get.
I had gotten another one earlier yesterday. I do remember the game getting another patch back in May of this year.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
These guys are amazing. They're adding so much new content to a version of Final Fight that never existed! @Worgen, get a load of this good brawling action, mon!

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
These guys are amazing. They're adding so much new content to a version of Final Fight that never existed! @Worgen, get a load of this good brawling action, mon!
Damn, that does look really cool.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I saw Rice and Ruin in my local Best Buy a back in Spring of this year. I probably won't get the game, but if I ever decide, I am sure it will be on Amazon.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
So, Guardians Denjin Makai. It looks pretty awesome.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
After 6 months to the day, I finally have the platinum trophy for TMNT: Shredders Revenge. Woo hoo!!!!

And it happened in the strangest way. The only trophy I didn't have was the one where you have to beat Super Shredder without taking a hit and because I have the gaming reflexes of a slug in a coma, I was going to cheese it. I was going to jump into an online game at the very last possible second to score a hit on him and pop the trophy. So I joined a game just as someone had just beat Shredder and the trophy popped without any effort on my part at all.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Well, Scott Pilgrim finally came out on steam and it launched at a good discount.

But I have concerns. For one, they added a rather strict denovo on it, it also doesn't have steam achievements and it sounds like it requires the install of some ubisoft software bullshit and to top it off, because of that it won't work on the steam deck.

So, its tempting, cause I did enjoy the game on xbox 360, but... with all the shit they are pulling on an over 10 year old game, nah, think I'll pass. Besides, its a neat brawler but there are much better ones out there, the thing Scott Pilgrim does best is the sound track.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Well, Scott Pilgrim finally came out on steam and it launched at a good discount.

But I have concerns. For one, they added a rather strict denovo on it, it also doesn't have steam achievements and it sounds like it requires the install of some ubisoft software bullshit and to top it off, because of that it won't work on the steam deck.

So, its tempting, cause I did enjoy the game on xbox 360, but... with all the shit they are pulling on an over 10 year old game, nah, think I'll pass. Besides, its a neat brawler but there are much better ones out there, the thing Scott Pilgrim does best is the sound track.
You are better off just playing the River City Girls games. And you are correct: there are so many brawlers better than Scott Pilgrim. My brother got the game for free a few months back on Game Pass. We played it, but we immediately stopped as we didn't like the grinding and the bad checkpoints.

Last edited:

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
You are better off just playing the River City Girls games. And you are correct: there are so many brawlers better than Scott Pilgrim. My brother got the game free, a few months back on Game Pass. We played it, but we immediately stopped as we didn't like the grinding and the bad checkpoints.
The gameplay is the weakest part of it, the music is awesome the graphics are awesome, but the gameplay is pretty weak. I never liked the "power up" brawlers much.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The gameplay is the weakest part of it, the music is awesome the graphics are awesome, but the gameplay is pretty weak. I never liked the "power up" brawlers much.
Scott Pilgrim could solve all this by not having the RPG elements at all, or make it an open world like the River City games. If you're looking for a great RPG brawler hybrid, I still highly recommend Guardian Heroes (XBLA). I hope you have an Xbox One or a Series X, because I highly doubt you have a Sega Saturn. Either that or run an emulator. What's unique about Guardian Heroes is that after you beat the game all the stats reset. Every single playthrough. It says that fence, you have a high luck stat. The higher your luck, the less likely you're going to take major damage.

Last edited:

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Scott Pilgrim could solve all this by I did not have in the RPG elements at all, or make it an open world like the River City games. If you're looking for a great RPG brawler hybrid, I still highly recommend Guardian Heroes (XBLA). I hope you have a Xbox One or a Series X, because I highly doubt you have a Sega Saturn. Either that or run a emulator. What's unique about Guardian Heroes is that after you beat the game all the stats reset. Every single playthrough. It says that fence, you have a high luck stat. The higher your look, the less likely you're going to take major damage.
The problem with just removing them is then the game is really short. They would need a few more stages to just get rid of them.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The problem with just removing them is then the game is really short. They would need a few more stages to just get rid of them.
Not by much. From what I've seen, Scott Pilgrim is only barely half an hour or an hour longer than games like Fight N' Rage, Code of Princess, Streets of Rage 4, or The TakeOver. It would have been a worthy sacrifice, because the RPG elements are not good, unneeded, and only create grinding and tedious padding.

Try these out, if you haven't already.

The EX version has revamped gameplay and there are less abused game breaking moves/items that made the original version a cakewalk in certain sections. I still prefer the 3DS version, because it had both the awesome English Dub, and the Japanese dub. Both CoP and CoP EX don't have the English dub, due to not gaining the rights and copyright reasons. The advantage of the Steam & EX and Switch versions are 60fps, no slowdowns, and playing on a large screen.

Another great brawler with RPG elements is Capcom's D&D games.

Last edited:

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Not by much. From what I've seen, Scott Pilgrim is only barely half an hour or an hour longer than games like Fight N' Rage, Code of Princess, Streets of Rage 4, or The TakeOver. It would have been a worthy sacrifice, because the RPG elements are not good, unneeded, and only create grinding and tedious padding.
Well, Fight N'Rage has multiple paths and the different characters change the story, so lots of replay there. Streets of Rage 4 is just top tier. Never got into code of princess, I think that its only really on 2 horizontal paths instead of giving you normal brawler maneuver room annoyed me. I suppose I should give it a shot again, maybe once I finish the games I'm working on now since I'm also planning on doing the huge mod for Battletech so Princess would give me a controller game.