Brawlers

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I wish for the same. Sega has no excuse not to do another game at this point. Sega outsources their old IPs to developers or publishers that care more for their old non-Sonic/Yakuza franchises, than they do.
I would expect after the success of SoR4 they would be looking at their back catalog for other games to get that kinda remaster/sequel. I mean, as I understand one of the best Golden Axe games never even left the arcade.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I would expect after the success of SoR4 they would be looking at their back catalog for other games to get that kinda remaster/sequel.
They brought back House of the Dead 1 (also because Sega lost the original Master copy and hardware for the game) and Panzer Dragoon. The latter is actually getting a remake sequel for Zwei. Which I'm excited for the most. Sega should also bring back Comix Zone and Vector Man. Though admittedly, some of the Japanese on don't like CZ, but it mostly boiled down to one guy that's not even there anymore. At one point in the early 2000s, Sega did try to bring back Vector Man, but canceled it when everyone realized nobody wanted a Halo clone.
I mean, as I understand one of the best Golden Axe games never even left the arcade
One of the biggest sins Sega has ever done. There's still no reason for them not to port this on digital stores or modern consoles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Worgen

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Uhhhh..... Hmm.... Uncertainty growing.
The only decent grace is that it looks somewhat optional, but I really wish developers would stop trying to ride the Rouge-Like/Lite train. Not every game, nor every genre needs them. If it were its own separate mode, I would be more lenient, but I gotta see more footage and explanations of how this works out. If this gameplay mechanic becomes too intrusive, I'll just stick back to playing DDIV.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Looks at page...

I see at least one person remembered the old adage of bringing a bazooka to a fist fight. 0_0
Yeah, they turned Marian into MvC2_Jill. That's a change I don't mind. Glad to see the character in more active roles. You can only be the damsel-in-distress so many times before it gets old. Great job on that Modus and WayForward.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Yeah, they turned Marian into MvC2_Jill. That's a change I don't mind. Glad to see the character in more active roles. You can only be the damsel-in-distress so many times before it gets old. Great job on that Modus and WayForward.
Wasn't she also supposed to have been a martial arts master who taught Jimmy and Billy?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Wasn't she also supposed to have been a martial arts master who taught Jimmy and Billy?
It varies and depends on the version. In the original story the arcade game (on its story description from the soundtrack and some manuals from the home ports): Marian is a part time assistant martial arts instructor, but not on the same level as Billy and Jimmy. The intro to the arcade game, NES game, GBA Remake, and Neon do nothing to convey this. Her going down in one gut punch makes the backstory highly dubious and sounds like something they made up on the fly or as an after thought. This was back in the old-school days where most didn't care about story or kept things really simple.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
So, there's a Grendizer free-roaming beat'em up coming soon. It's interesting because it was a cult anime in France (the first really popular one, which introduced japanese animation to the french public), so a lot of nostalgic fondness is attached to it, and it's french designers who are tackling that.

They are very very careful about faithfulness. They went for a very slightly cell-shaded style, to mimic the old anime best while still feeling 3D. They went through many iterations to capture the right balance for the lumbering flexibility of this agile, heavy giant robot. They stayed supervised by the original authors, when it came to colors, shapes and to the styles of the new invented enemies (the series is like a series of boss fight, the game structure required more cannon fodder). They secured the right to the original music, which few videogame adaptations of animes manage to do. They selected a camera view that maximized front perspective, as the robot's back is less interesting and less iconic than its front.

It's an interesting endeavour, managing the contradictory constraints of videogaming fun and tv fidelity. Unfortunately, the long video in which they detail it is in french (with auto-generated subtitles). I just summarized the gist of it, but it's here in full if you want details. And I've put the start time at the trailer.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Double Dragon Gaiden comes out July 27th, 2023. That's fast. They've must have been developing this at least since 2021.

Earlier this month, Double Dragon Gaiden: Rise of the Dragons was revealed. This latest entry in the beat ’em up franchise looks to breathe new life into the series with a dynamic missions selection and tag-team moves. When announced, Double Dragon only had a vague release date of summer 2023. Now, publisher Modus Games has revealed a release date of July 27, 2023 for Double Dragon Gaiden: Rise of the Dragons on PC, PlayStation 4 & 5, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch.

Double Dragon Gaiden: Rise of the Dragons will feature unlockable bonuses, adjustable difficulty levels, optional permadeath, and infinite modes. Expect a great soundtrack, updated pixel art visuals, and a two-player local co-op, as well. Online co-op is planned as a post-launch update later this year.
This game looks like a ton of fun. I love the inclusion of Marian with a bunch of different firearms at her disposal. And Uncle Matin looks like a considerably tough fighter that can vanquish baddies without a problem. Best of all, tag-team attacks will do wonders to bring out the joy of local co-op.

Interested gamers can preorder the game ahead of its release date at the Double Dragon: Rise of the Dragons website. It will retail for $29.99 and have both physical and digital versions.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
After reading what's available in DD Gaiden, I'll give it a shot since, the permadeath mode is optional, and they have extra bonus modes. I'll pre-order it some time later.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

I was not expecting these games to get a re-release. Iron Commando is okay, but the Legend is not that fun. The PS1 remake/sequel is so much better. They should add that into the package.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I look forward to a review since the more I see, the more suspect I am of it.
I have my concerns, but the more I see, the more I am interested. I know nothing of the developer, other than them making Streets of Red. Which I heard is good, but I have no interests. The last Double Dragon game came out in 2017, so it's this or nothing. DDIV is nowhere close to a bad game, but I know it's not what some people wanted. It got unfairly compared to DD Neon. I like Neon, but I got sick and tired of playing it a long while back. Plus, that game ain't exactly perfect either, and has plenty that annoy me. IV does have something over Neon. Bonus content with extra modes, and unlockable characters you can use in the main campaign. Neon has the campaign, and that is it other than harder modes.

From what I'm seeing, Gaiden looks like it plays good, and I welcome the tag mechanics. The rouge-lite elements I am iffy on, but at least the developers stated there is an optional permadeath mode, if the player chooses. The game is getting plenty of bonus content too, so it will have replay value.