The last thing we watched, cartoon/animu edition

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Production IG were fucking monster in animation department, but they were so bad at picking project. I watched a bunch of there stuff not too long ago (if you ever like watching money burn on screen) and came across the anime real drive that's incredibly gorgeous and was wondering why I never heard about it but quickly realized it was because its the most boring thing in existence.

Yeah ep 1 of SAC isn't that interesting but its meant to 1) introduce the character, setting and tone (somewhat grounded, especially compared to most sci fi) and 2) echo the movie, with a couple of shoot being very similar.

The first half of SAC can be somewhat hit or miss, I never looked into the writter but I would guess they changed a lot for some of those early stand alone episode.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Production IG were fucking monster in animation department, but they were so bad at picking project. I watched a bunch of there stuff not too long ago (if you ever like watching money burn on screen) and came across the anime real drive that's incredibly gorgeous and was wondering why I never heard about it but quickly realized it was because its the most boring thing in existence.

Yeah ep 1 of SAC isn't that interesting but its meant to 1) introduce the character, setting and tone (somewhat grounded, especially compared to most sci fi) and 2) echo the movie, with a couple of shoot being very similar.

The first half of SAC can be somewhat hit or miss, I never looked into the writter but I would guess they changed a lot for some of those early stand alone episode.
It’s also possible that some episodes, the stand alone ones especially, were invented whole cloth to provide character focus and development not present in the original manga.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Just finished Star Wars: Rebels, Season 2. Holy shit, that was amazing. Really good writing, really good character development, love the potential future story threads they are setting up...Yeah, the animated Star Wars shows are proving so much better than the live action ones, and that's coming from someone who likes the live action Star Wars shows.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
It’s also possible that some episodes, the stand alone ones especially, were invented whole cloth to provide character focus and development not present in the original manga.
SAC doesn't have much to do with the manga, very different tone too.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Cyberpunk: Edgerunners.......7/10

Oh boy, I kind of hate where I'm at with this. Animation is fantastic, really captures the aesthetic set by 2077. It is also appropriately full of casual sex and violence as befitting Night City as the hive of scum and villainy that it is and I think the anime (and the game) did a good job translating Cyberware like the Sandevistan to something that works in real time. Also big plus to using all of the old slang from the source book, that made the dialogue cheesy in the best way possible. Top marks there.

However, I have a major problem with David and Lucy. And that's that I don't really latch onto the tragedy of their relationship because its entirely of their own making because they're both fucking stupid in ways that people who survive this setting frankly cannot be. I mean Jesus. H. Christ, Lucy, what did you think was going to happen if you go around knocking off Arasaka's netrunners? And given the eddies David and his crew are clearly rolling in, could they not afford bioware mods instead of cyberware so that they could you know, stave of the cyber psychosis? Or in the event bioware won't work, buying actual gear to substitute. And frankly David himself is just a shonen protag allowed to to say fuck but in a setting where friendships is NOT magic; in fact I think my favourite part of the show is seeing him get his shit pushed in by Adam Smasher. Mind you, credit where its due he both A) actually got laid a lot unlike his many forebears and B) asshole or not, he earned his drink at Afterlife the way all Night City Legends do: snuffing it mid gig in a blaze of glory.

I think the anime is largely carried by the strength of Mike Pondsmith's world for me. So you know what, make more, Trigger. Fuck make a series about Johnny, Alt, Rogue and Santiago and their own doomed run at Arasaka Tower. It’s all past by this point so as long as the journey is fun the destination is moot. Or hell, do a new crew on a different adventure. You could even run a competition by asking tabletop players to submit their campaigns as ideas.

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
However, I have a major problem with David and Lucy. And that's that I don't really latch onto the tragedy of their relationship because its entirely of their own making because they're both fucking stupid in ways that people who survive this setting frankly cannot be. I mean Jesus. H. Christ, Lucy, what did you think was going to happen if you go around knocking off Arasaka's netrunners? And given the eddies David and his crew are clearly rolling in, could they not afford bioware mods instead of cyberware so that they could you know, stave of the cyber psychosis? Or in the event bioware won't work, buying actual gear to substitute. And frankly David himself is just a shonen protag allowed to to say fuck but in a setting where friendships is NOT magic; in fact I think my favourite part of the show is seeing him get his shit pushed in by Adam Smasher. Mind you, credit where its due he both A) actually got laid a lot unlike his many forebears and B) asshole or not, he earned his drink at Afterlife the way all Night City Legends do: snuffing it mid gig in a blaze of glory.
Yeah, didn't really track how Lucy went pseudo yandere despite previously being depicted as much savvier than her paramour. Maybe they intended for a love blinds thing. Then again, maybe she wouldn't have had to if David wasn't such a naive dumbass. Like at least half the problems in the show could've been avoided if at various points the script said "character gives advice/instructions and David listened".

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Chimpzy watches Ghost in the Shell - Stand Alone Complex (Part 2)

Season 1, Episode 2: Testation

Also known as “that one with the tank”. Basically, a large robot tank goes haywire and escapes from its testing grounds. Section 9 is called in to remedy the situation. The cyborgs try, mostly in vain, to halt its advance with force. Meanwhile, Aramaki negotiates with the company that developed it for the tank’s specifications to help in stopping it, while Togusa does his detective thing, interrogating one of its designers. This reveals that the other designer, who had died a week earlier from some kind of degenerative disease, had his cyberbrain installed in the tank, and is driving it to his parents house. Ostensibly to take revenge, because they refused him life-saving cyberization because of their religious beliefs. Or maybe he just wanted to show off his sick new tank body, maybe get some recognition. In the end we never learn for certain which, but I like to think it’s the latter.

It’s another unconnected episode, not part of an overarching storyline, but I do kinda really like it. It’s the first to touch on transhumanist themes like what it is to be human, and the meaning of life and death in a world where your body can die but your digital mind can still live on. Not to mention, what role religion would play. Even in our real world there have been many cases of people dying even though a treatment is available, because they or their family refuse because of their beliefs. As someone who will be dependent on a machine to survive, that’s something I find really fascinating and kind of incomprehensible, because if cyber kidneys were widely available, you can bet your ass I’d want one shoved in prompto.

Another aspect of the episode I really enjoy is that, while the previous episode had Section 9 almost effortlessly succeed at physical confrontations, this shows they do have limits, and it ended up being normal detective work and diplomacy that wins the day. In a way, that comes across as very humanistic, implying that advanced tech can enhance, but old fashioned skills are still both useful and necessary.

Not much else to say. It’s a fairly straightforward self-contained story, with an interesting setup, some decent action along the way, and an imo satisfying pay-off.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Glitch Techs Season 2 - A good season that ends on a Story Arc sequel hook. The animation and action scenes get even better, and we get some character development and backstory reveal from not only our leads, Hector "Five" & Miko in later episodes, but even the rival jerk Mitch gets an episode. My only complaints with the season is where Five steps up to be leader in one of the earlier and episodes and actually takes bad advice from Mitch. I know these characters are teenagers and all, but you've seen firsthand and know how this guy operates. It's pretty clear from the get-go, a majority of the other GTs don't like, nor have much respect for Mitch. I get the lesson they were trying to teach, but by this point, Five should know trying to be even similar to Mitch was not gonna work.

The other problem is the show ends on an obvious sequel hook, and the fate of the series is up in the air. Apparently, the production of Season 3 is supposed to be happening, but I've been searching for news, and this season was supposed drop in August of this year! What the hell Netflix's and Nickelodeon? This is one of your better animated properties! Treat as such! It's the reason GT is on Netflix to begin with. The show was supposed to be on Nick first, but they did not give it a chance and just shadow dropped on Netflix without much fanfare. I really hope Season 3 does get released and hopefully ends with a proper finale. Because if the show is not cancelled already, I don't foresee a Season 4 happening. What I like about this show is the diverse cast of characters, the on-point action, and its GB & MIB combined with video games. And the people on staff actually did their research and knows the ins and outs. Also, it does not treat all gamers as punching bags, nor go for the cheap, basement dwelling, shut-in stereotypes. Something Free Guy can learn a lot from! I will be honest: Glitch Techs is the better Danny Phantom in certain regards. More likeable supporting cast, proper development of the characters, less obvious/explaining-the-joke, and looks like it goes somewhere instead of falling apart and losing the original writer. As much as I liked DP back in the day, that show has annoying issues and things I straight up hate. Then again, Butch Hartman seems to have a hard on for shallow bullies who get away with everything half the time.

Back on point, I recommend you watch, or watch with your kids if you got them. Or nieces, nephews, younger cousins, etc.

Reactions: meiam

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Chimpzy watches Ghost in the Shell - Stand Alone Complex (Part 2)

Season 1, Episode 2: Testation

Also known as “that one with the tank”. Basically, a large robot tank goes haywire and escapes from its testing grounds. Section 9 is called in to remedy the situation. The cyborgs try, mostly in vain, to halt its advance with force. Meanwhile, Aramaki negotiates with the company that developed it for the tank’s specifications to help in stopping it, while Togusa does his detective thing, interrogating one of its designers. This reveals that the other designer, who had died a week earlier from some kind of degenerative disease, had his cyberbrain installed in the tank, and is driving it to his parents house. Ostensibly to take revenge, because they refused him life-saving cyberization because of their religious beliefs. Or maybe he just wanted to show off his sick new tank body, maybe get some recognition. In the end we never learn for certain which, but I like to think it’s the latter.

It’s another unconnected episode, not part of an overarching storyline, but I do kinda really like it. It’s the first to touch on transhumanist themes like what it is to be human, and the meaning of life and death in a world where your body can die but your digital mind can still live on. Not to mention, what role religion would play. Even in our real world there have been many cases of people dying even though a treatment is available, because they or their family refuse because of their beliefs. As someone who will be dependent on a machine to survive, that’s something I find really fascinating and kind of incomprehensible, because if cyber kidneys were widely available, you can bet your ass I’d want one shoved in prompto.

Another aspect of the episode I really enjoy is that, while the previous episode had Section 9 almost effortlessly succeed at physical confrontations, this shows they do have limits, and it ended up being normal detective work and diplomacy that wins the day. In a way, that comes across as very humanistic, implying that advanced tech can enhance, but old fashioned skills are still both useful and necessary.

Not much else to say. It’s a fairly straightforward self-contained story, with an interesting setup, some decent action along the way, and an imo satisfying pay-off.
I wouldn't be surprised if ep2 is where most people went from sligthly interested in SAC to actually really looking forward to watch more. I barely remember some of the early episode but I pretty much remember 2 completely. And while the element explored in it are good, I think it mostly come down to how expertly everything is weaved together. Looking back at the episode, its kinda amazing that its only one episode when so much stuff happen, and yet it doesnèt feel like everything is rushed to meet the episode time. I think good direction is one of those "you don't actively notice it but your brain does".

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Yeah, didn't really track how Lucy went pseudo yandere despite previously being depicted as much savvier than her paramour. Maybe they intended for a love blinds thing. Then again, maybe she wouldn't have had to if David wasn't such a naive dumbass. Like at least half the problems in the show could've been avoided if at various points the script said "character gives advice/instructions and David listened".
Yeah, David’s a Solo do his INT stat doesn’t need to be high or anything but since Lucy is ‘Runner, she has to have a high INT. Or to put it in less dumbly, even if David is the street savvy muscle, Lucy is supposed to be smart enough to see bigger picture and with her life experience to augment raw smarts, her mistakes aren’t the sort of mistakes she should have made.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Chimpzy watches Ghost in the Shell - Stand Alone Complex (Part 3)

Season 1, Episode 3: Android and I

So the setup here is that a particular type of gynoid, nicknamed Jeri, is self-terminating. Once popular, but now obsolete, they still have a small but hardcore fanbase. The “suicides” are themselves caused by a virus planted in the factory that manufactured them, propagating to other Jeris whenever their owners bring them in for maintenance. Section 9 quickly tracks this to the son of a diplomat, a rich boy with an obsession for his Jeri, seemingly genuinely in love with it, apparently to such a degree that he wanted to eliminate all other Jeris so his would be unique. The remainder of the runtime is pretty much Batou and Togusa chasing the culprit down, which is effortless because he’s just a regular dude protected only by having the same power as the bad guy in Lethal Weapon 2.

It’s actually the Jeri that does him in, restraining him, ostensibly to save his life after he pulls a gun. Before that Batou remarked how impressively lifelike the Jeri talked and behaves compared to Section 9s operator androids, and at various points in the episode allusions are made to androids gaining ‘ghosts’, aka true consciousness instead of just well-programmed AI, marking this the first but far from last time the series will play with this concept. In the end it is left ambiguous whether the Jeri was truly sentient, its humanlike dialogue revealed to be just lines from Jean-Luc Godard’s “À bout the souffle”, except for one final bit that leaves open the possibility. Myself, I’m a bit confused by what benchmarks Jeri is supposed to be impressive tho. Seems about on par with operators. Meanwhile, the Tachikomas might behave like excitable puppies, but their speech is very natural, and their interactions with the human members of Sections 9 much more human, despite having basically no human features.

Anyway, the other big theme of the episode is attachment. I suppose we’ve all had moments where we stuck with something old simply because we like it, even though newer versions are better in every way. That’s nostalgia for you, I guess, and generally harmless. Not even the otherwise high-tech main characters are immune to it, as proven by both Togusa and Batou. But pair that with severe insecurities and detachment from reality, and I can easily see how that might turn unhealthy, like it did with the culprit. The android offers him a fantasy he can control to suit his anxieties, to escape his fears, and mistakes that for love, or maybe it’s just his own little version of happiness. It would be easy to see the man as pathetic, but as someone who’s no stranger to self-esteem issues, I don’t feel so comfortable as to judge.

Overall I found this merely an average episode. It seems very loosely based on a chapter of the manga, but doesn’t hit as hard from both an action, narrative and philosophical standpoint. It brings up a few staples of the series, but iirc, those are all done much better further down the line. Not really a visual showcase either, outside of the opening with the android suicides. I did enjoy that it spends a little more time fleshing out the members of Section 9, if only slightly: the Major’s penchant for reckless driving, the fun chemistry between Batou and Togusa as they discuss their own respective nostalgic attachments, Togusa coming home to his wife and child. People who have lives outside of the job.

One more thing. I decided to watch this episode with the English dub instead of Japanese with subs. That’s not my habit, I generally prefer watching something with the original audio, but the dub is not bad. I’m not fond of the voices they chose for some characters, and there’s some wonky lines here and there, particularly that thing they do where they stress the wrong syllables in Japanese names. I still prefer the Japanese voices, they sound a bit more natural and like they “belong” in general, but the dub is fine, especially since this was released when dubs were still quite hit or miss. I’m thinking of alternating between between sub and dub for here on.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
One more thing. I decided to watch this episode with the English dub instead of Japanese with subs. That’s not my habit, I generally prefer watching something with the original audio, but the dub is not bad. I’m not fond of the voices they chose for some characters, and there’s some wonky lines here and there, particularly that thing they do where they stress the wrong syllables in Japanese names. I still prefer the Japanese voices, they sound a bit more natural and like they “belong” in general, but the dub is fine, especially since this was released when dubs were still quite hit or miss. I’m thinking of alternating between sub and dub for here on.
It's been a long, long time, but I remember the dub I had little issues with. I know somethings got a little wonky in the beginning, but everyone was able to get used to their roles further into the show. Most GitS fans still praise the dub of SAC, and the two previous movies. Not the Dreamworks dub of Innocence. Everyone hates it. Either stick with the Manga Entertainment Dub or the Bandai dub from 2009. Thankfully, the Blu-Ray/DVD versions of Innocence have the Bandai dub. I know we were still in the hit or miss period (mid 2000s and all that), but overall, the dubbing I consider great with some minor missteps in the beginning. I will say by the time of 2009/10, the West got more consistent quality of dubbed anime. What probably helped, though kind of sad in some cases, was either the closing down of many dubbing companies (with some mergers) or those that quit altogether and moved on to something else.

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I will say by the time of 2009/10, the West got more consistent quality of dubbed anime. What probably helped, though kind of sad in some cases, was either the closing down of many dubbing companies (with some mergers) or those that quit altogether and move on to something else.
Probably didn't help that for the longest time a lot of dubbing companies basically had no original scripts or direction from the original creators to work with. Or, and I don't remember which anime it was, a story of just getting footage with no audio, and having to figure out wtf was happening.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Probably didn't help that for the longest time a lot of dubbing companies basically had no original scripts or direction from the original creators to work with. Or, and I don't remember which anime it was, a story of just getting footage with no audio, and having to figure out wtf was happening.
Apparently that happened for the English version of Monkey/Journey to the West, which is one of the reasons it became popular.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

So the setup here is that a particular type of gynoid, nicknamed Jeri, is self-terminating. Once popular, but now obsolete, they still have a small but hardcore fanbase. The “suicides” are themselves caused by a virus planted in the factory that manufactured them, propagating to other Jeris whenever their owners bring them in for maintenance. Section 9 quickly tracks this to the son of a diplomat, a rich boy with an obsession for his Jeri, seemingly genuinely in love with it, apparently to such a degree that he wanted to eliminate all other Jeris so his would be unique. The remainder of the runtime is pretty much Batou and Togusa chasing the culprit down, which is effortless because he’s just a regular dude protected only by having the same power as the bad guy in Lethal Weapon 2.

It’s actually the Jeri that does him in, restraining him, ostensibly to save his life after he pulls a gun. Before that Batou remarked how impressively lifelike the Jeri talked and behaves compared to Section 9s operator androids, and at various points in the episode allusions are made to androids gaining ‘ghosts’, aka true consciousness instead of just well-programmed AI, marking this the first but far from last time the series will play with this concept. In the end it is left ambiguous whether the Jeri was truly sentient, its humanlike dialogue revealed to be just lines from Jean-Luc Godard’s “À bout the souffle”, except for one final bit that leaves open the possibility. Myself, I’m a bit confused by what benchmarks Jeri is supposed to be impressive tho. Seems about on par with operators. Meanwhile, the Tachikomas might behave like excitable puppies, but their speech is very natural, and their interactions with the human members of Sections 9 much more human, despite having basically no human features.

Anyway, the other big theme of the episode is attachment. I suppose we’ve all had moments where we stuck with something old simply because we like it, even though newer versions are better in every way. That’s nostalgia for you, I guess, and generally harmless. Not even the otherwise high-tech main characters are immune to it, as proven by both Togusa and Batou. But pair that with severe insecurities and detachment from reality, and I can easily see how that might turn unhealthy, like it did with the culprit. The android offers him a fantasy he can control to suit his anxieties, to escape his fears, and mistakes that for love, or maybe it’s just his own little version of happiness. It would be easy to see the man as pathetic, but as someone who’s no stranger to self-esteem issues, I don’t feel so comfortable as to judge.

Overall I found this merely an average episode. It seems very loosely based on a chapter of the manga, but doesn’t hit as hard from both an action, narrative and philosophical standpoint. It brings up a few staples of the series, but iirc, those are all done much better further down the line. Not really a visual showcase either, outside of the opening with the android suicides. I did enjoy that it spends a little more time fleshing out the members of Section 9, if only slightly: the Major’s penchant for reckless driving, the fun chemistry between Batou and Togusa as they discuss their own respective nostalgic attachments, Togusa coming home to his wife and child. People who have lives outside of the job.

One more thing. I decided to watch this episode with the English dub instead of Japanese with subs. That’s not my habit, I generally prefer watching something with the original audio, but the dub is not bad. I’m not fond of the voices they chose for some characters, and there’s some wonky lines here and there, particularly that thing they do where they stress the wrong syllables in Japanese names. I still prefer the Japanese voices, they sound a bit more natural and like they “belong” in general, but the dub is fine, especially since this was released when dubs were still quite hit or miss. I’m thinking of alternating between between sub and dub for here on.
My favourite bit of this episode is where the Major goes on a tour of the Jeri factory and the Tachikoma follows her with thermo-optic camouflage activated and not a single person notices. Like I know its invisible but its a fucking tank that must weigh about anything between 50 and 100 tons. Its mere movement should give it away and yet it stealths around that factory like Solid-Fucking Snake and gets out clean.

Are we sure Section 9 has the right people doing infiltration?

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
My favourite bit of this episode is where the Major goes on a tour of the Jeri factory and the Tachikoma follows her with thermo-optic camouflage activated and not a single person notices. Like I know its invisible but its a fucking tank that must weigh about anything between 50 and 100 tons. Its mere movement should give it away and yet it stealths around that factory like Solid-Fucking Snake and gets out clean.

Are we sure Section 9 has the right people doing infiltration?
Tachikomas seem about the size of an car, and not a large one either. So I'm thinking they're not that heavy, probably closer to the mass of a German Wiesel AFV or something, which is under 5 metric tonnes. Still a fair point, I can buy a Tachikoma moving unnoticed on a busy freeway or places with lots of background noise, but the factory is quiet enough that you can hear people walking about. Maybe it's cuz Tachikomas not dummy thicc like Snake. No clapping asses.

Also kinda funny that when Major and the Tachikoma drop the camo, all they get is stared at in slight confusion. Guess stripperific women and walking tankettes suddenly appearing is an average tuesday in 2030's Japan.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010

I think the episode would have been better served if they drop the whole ghost/soul aspect and instead focused more on how even basic AI would get better at fooling people as they spend more time and learn their pattern/habit. So maybe have the Jeri act very natural in the guy presence but whenever it would interact with someone else would be much more stiff and robotic. But tbh I've never been that big a fan of the ghost aspect since its never defined and always talked in vague term.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
the ghost aspect since its never defined and always talked in vague term.
It’s the soul. “Ghosts” in GiTS has as far as I can figure always referred to the soul, something utterly intangible and yet intrinsic to being human on a philosophical level.

“The question we’re dancing around is, does Data have a soul? I don’t know that he does. I don’t know that I do”

“Does this unit have a soul?”

“Number Five, is alive”

Although I confess I thought there was meant to be a bigger connection between the Jeri and that old movie Togusa’s wife was watching.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
It’s the soul. “Ghosts” in GiTS has as far as I can figure always referred to the soul, something utterly intangible and yet intrinsic to being human on a philosophical level.

“The question we’re dancing around is, does Data have a soul? I don’t know that he does. I don’t know that I do”

“Does this unit have a soul?”

“Number Five, is alive”

Although I confess I thought there was meant to be a bigger connection between the Jeri and that old movie Togusa’s wife was watching.
Oh yeah its definitely a soul thing, but they never really establish what they would qualify about that and so it always boil down to "whatever the viewer definition of soul may or may not apply in this case" and nothing really progress, so every time its brought up, it always feel like the same conversation played on repeat.

I liked the way the movie did it more where it's firmly in the "AI have soul" camp and instead explore the question of what would an AI do.