Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Also,
Huh, never woulda thunk it. Doesn't matter for me, though; once an avocado is breached in my home, it's eaten within minutes. I hear tales of people finding clever ways to keep avocados from turning brown, and I just laugh with my mouth full of avocado. My avocados only turn brown once they've completed their stint in my digestive tract.

Also, avocado.

...Avocado.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Huh, never woulda thunk it. Doesn't matter for me, though; once an avocado is breached in my home, it's eaten within minutes. I hear tales of people finding clever ways to keep avocados from turning brown, and I just laugh with my mouth full of avocado. My avocados only turn brown once they've completed their stint in my digestive tract.

Also, avocado.

...Avocado.
The biggest challenge for me is finding them just right or letting them ripen enough - but not too much - so you get that soft green goodness and not the hard yellow or blighted looking stringy mess.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
The biggest challenge for me is finding them just right or letting them ripen enough - but not too much - so you get that soft green goodness and not the hard yellow or blighted looking stringy mess.
Yeah, it can be tricky finding the "right" ones. I find I prefer them firm, but not TOO firm. If there's a little give upon a gentle squeeze, they're usually just right for me. Too squishy or rock solid is an easy pass.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

Also, avocado.

...Avocado.
Shit! That's just reminded me I bought an avocado to do home made guacamole and that was like two weeks ago so now I'm gonna need to fish a dead avocado out of my crisper.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
My concoction of the evening is called a "simmer down now"

1/4 titos vodka
2/4 homemade cold brew coffee
1/4 coffeemate natural sweet cream
*poured over ice.

The sweet cream is nonfat milk, heavy cream, and cane sugar.

Its similar to a White Russians but I find typical White Russian to be way too sweet and lacking the authenticity of Russians drinking coffee and vodka. too much Heavy cream and coffee liqueur is pretty unrussky imo anyway.

PXL_20220805_000833976~2.jpg

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
My concoction of the evening is called a "simmer down now"
Looks tasty, but also, coffee in the evening? Does that not keep you up?

OT: Anyone got pasta recommendations? Preferably ones that aren't so noodle-heavy. I love me some pasta but they aren't exactly very nutritious most of the time, lacking protein and fiber and whatnot. Lately what we've been doing is just cooking some chicken thigh and throwing it into the pasta, but I foresee that getting old very soon.

davidmc1158

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020

OT: Anyone got pasta recommendations? Preferably ones that aren't so noodle-heavy. I love me some pasta but they aren't exactly very nutritious most of the time, lacking protein and fiber and whatnot. Lately what we've been doing is just cooking some chicken thigh and throwing it into the pasta, but I foresee that getting old very soon.
There's a super-simple recipe that I fix every so often, though it really qualifies as a side-dish. Think you might like it.

8 cloves garlic
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup whipping cream
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 pound pasta (weight before cooking, is cooked separately)
fresh-grated parmesan or romano cheese to preference with parsley garnish

Cut the garlic into thin slices and saute in the olive oil until not quite browned. Add the cream, a tiny bit of salt and pepper. Simmer for a moment to reduce the cream, and then toss with the cooked pasta while the pasta is still hot. Add cheese on top and garnish with the parsley. Simple, easy and tasty.

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Diet, meet your match -
A Canadian friend introduced us to poutine several years; it IS delicious in that hedonistic sorta way. You'll need a nap afterwards.

We could learn a thing or two from our neighbors up north: give all our "greasy fat fuck" junk foods a fancy name, and we can eat them with SOME dignity.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.

I suggest going with the pasta as a side item then. I've used them here in my bagna cauda mushrooms.
20211202_120143_HDR.jpg
Its pretty simple really. Slice up mushrooms. Put them in a pan with some butter, not drowning them, just enough to coat the pan. Not really looking for a full on sauté, just softening up the outside and heating them up. Meanwhile, boil up some linguini and dress with a light amount of a really basic pesto (olive oil, basil, infused with garlic). Then mix together and done. If you are going for healthier, rather than the spicy Italian sausage as I've done here dressed with a simple marinara (tomatoes, salt, oregano) I'd say... air fried boneless chicken thigh. And maybe a vinaigrette for the salad rather than the blue cheese dressing I've used.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I've taken to making my own iced tea, which probably sounds a bit quaint to some here, as I heard it's a time honored tradition in the American south. I've tried various types of tea and added flavors, but so far have had the best result with 1.5l of water, 5 bags of Earl Grey, juice from half a lemon and 6 spoons of honey for sweetening. Not too strong, not too sweet, tho it could maybe use a little more acidity, so maybe a whole lemon worth of juice next time.

Reactions: gorfias

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
I've taken to making my own iced tea, which probably sounds a bit quaint to some here, as I heard it's a time honored tradition in the American south. I've tried various types of tea and added flavors, but so far have had the best result with 1.5l of water, 5 bags of Earl Grey, juice from half a lemon and 6 spoons of honey for sweetening. Not too strong, not too sweet, tho it could maybe use a little more acidity, so maybe a whole lemon worth of juice next time.
If you're interested in trying a slightly more mellow flavor, try using cool water poured directly on the tea bags, and then let it sit in a sunny place for a few hours. You get a kind of "cold brewed" iced tea that has a bit different of a flavour profile. Depending on the tea brand, I find it can be very slightly floral with a bit less bitterness.

Reactions: Chimpzy

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Just about every city has to have one of these, but ours has been a little weird. The sign went up about 2 years ago, during the start of the pandemic. It featured the name of the restaurant, with a little stylized mascot. A stick figure wearing a crown. It operated mostly as a ghost kitchen, or not at all for the last 2 years. For reasons that will become obvious, the sign has drawn a lot of curiosity and no small amount of photos for the last 2 years. Now it is finally fully open.

It is Pho King. Described as the Chipolte of Pho, the sign over the menu is simply the instructions, "Build your own Pho King soup." I'm going there I think on Friday. I'll let you know if it is any Pho King good.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Just about every city has to have one of these, but ours has been a little weird. The sign went up about 2 years ago, during the start of the pandemic. It featured the name of the restaurant, with a little stylized mascot. A stick figure wearing a crown. It operated mostly as a ghost kitchen, or not at all for the last 2 years. For reasons that will become obvious, the sign has drawn a lot of curiosity and no small amount of photos for the last 2 years. Now it is finally fully open.

It is Pho King. Described as the Chipolte of Pho, the sign over the menu is simply the instructions, "Build your own Pho King soup." I'm going there I think on Friday. I'll let you know if it is any Pho King good.
When I first moved to Texas, there was a restaurant near the corporate apartment called Pho King Way. It wasn't even that good, but I patronized it a few times just because the name was brilliant.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Peanut butter and cheese toastie. Pretty good, though the cheese overpowers the peanut butter.