Game Articles and Videos Thread

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Some madlad remastered the Chrono Trigger soundtrack

And I don't mean he recreated the songs with new higher fidelity samples, the crazy mofo spent literal years tracking down the original samples that were used to create the music that was then compressed and formatted to work on the SNES i.e. restored to what it sounded like before the SNES bitcrushed it to all hell.

It's so crisp in comparison.
Is there a public version of the music available?

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Is there a public version of the music available?
huh, weird, it was public when I posted,

Well, he's also uploaded eveyrthing to google drive, so in the meantime

EDIT: link removed

never mind, seems his gmail was hacked and the link contains malicious stuff

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Like, seriously, it was pretty likely Squenix was going to be an ass about it, but do people really feel like they need to do their dirty work for them? smh

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Some madlad remastered the Chrono Trigger soundtrack

And I don't mean he recreated the songs with new higher fidelity samples, the crazy mofo spent literal years tracking down the original samples that were used to create the music that was then compressed and formatted to work on the SNES i.e. restored to what it sounded like before the SNES bitcrushed it to all hell.

It's so crisp in comparison.
The video is set to private unfortunately.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
The video is set to private unfortunately.
Yeah, I know, must've happened mere minutes after I posted it. It's really good tho. By Mathew Valente, the composer of the ill-fated Chrono Ressurection.

You can look up his YT channel if you want, but someone is currently fucking with the dude. Took over his gmail, emptied his channel, replaced it with Tesla shit, and uploaded malicious files to his google drive.

No choice now but to wait and see if he gets control over his stuff back. Tho I did download the FLACs before the takeover. I would upload if asked, assuming you'd trust me.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah, I know, must've happened mere minutes after I posted it. It's really good tho. By Mathew Valente, the composer of the ill-fated Chrono Ressurection.

You can look up his YT channel if you want, but someone is currently fucking with the dude. Took over his gmail, emptied his channel, replaced it with Tesla shit, and uploaded malicious files to his google drive.

No choice now but to wait and see if he gets control over his stuff back. Tho I did download the FLACs before the takeover. I would upload if asked, assuming you'd trust me.
That sucks to hear, and it sucks even harder for the guy. There's no obligation to post it if you don't want to. I'm more than patient. Not a then the game, but I was just letting you know, in case you didn't.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
So the other day I found a great channel called WickedWiz, who makes video about lesser-known games's troubled development and launch.

Latest vid is about dreamworld, a MMO that is been in development hell for many years

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
"All of the Sonic Boost Era games are janky", said no one ever. That really only applies to Unleashed, Forces, and the HD versions of Colors. Sonic Generations didn't have any jank. Some minor problems with level design, but no jank. Gameranx is another mixed opinion, yet he like it overall. I like the guy, but this a case of me judging for myself.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Anime didn't make a mistake. The mistake was another dangerous idiot with nothing better to do with their life and ruin things for everyone involved.
It's also a terrible design. Three charges to the forehead? Fucking wasteful. One charge on each temple would easily do the job, as would one charge at the base of the skull. It's not rocket surgery.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
"All of the Sonic Boost Era games are janky", said no one ever. That really only applies to Unleashed, Forces, and the HD versions of Colors. Sonic Generations didn't have any jank. Some minor problems with level design, but no jank. Gameranx is another mixed opinion, yet he like it overall. I like the guy, but this a case of me judging for myself.

I actually watch gameranx exactly for that reason; honest flaws. It's the same reason why I watch ACG, SkillUp, Angry Joe, and Maximillian Dood. They always try to give honest opinions, at the risk of flawed arguments and mistakes. But that makes it all the more natural, and I get to hear on their thoughts on why they think the game is genuinely bad, good, or in the middle.

And then there are places like IGN, where the reviews are paid or seriously biased, and usually like to double down on their stance making their reviews intentionally headstrong and flawed. I.E. Alien Isolation review, Evolve Review, Fortnite review, etc.

There are also people who make ironic and sarcastic reviews, but I just feel they are doing it for clickbait.

At the end of the day, I guess I appreciate reviews that are geniune. Someone can criticize Witcher 3, one of my all time favorites, to be a bad game for really good reasons, I'd happily accept their thoughts and would love to talk more about them. I just don't like reviews that makes the reviewer sound like an asshole

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Angry Joe
I wouldn't fully trust him. He lost my trust years ago.

They always try to give honest opinions, at the risk of flawed arguments and mistakes. But that makes it all the more natural, and I get to hear on their thoughts on why they think the game is genuinely bad, good, or in the middle
I'm all for individuality and expressing one true self and opinions, but gameranx's little take reeks of the same crap I dislike from an official review sites like IGN. He's not the worst with this, but it's something that irks me. I can get you plenty of YouTubers who play Sonic games and can fairly critique them, and not come up with weird takes like that. ExoParadigmGamer being a standout example who knows how to do reviews and analysis.

At the end of the day, I guess I appreciate reviews that are geniune. Someone can criticize Witcher 3, one of my all time favorites, to be a bad game for really good reasons, I'd happily accept their thoughts and would love to talk more about them. I just don't like reviews that makes the reviewer sound like an asshole
Me neither, but the problem is that there's plenty of non-professional reviews or individual ones that come off like assholes or contrarian dick wads. All for the sake of clicks or injecting their own political views to put down others, or say diversity and politics don't belong in gaming, nor should be discussed any any way unless it's on their pathetic terms.

Last edited:
Reactions: FakeSympathy