Game Articles and Videos Thread

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Mick went in and brought receipts, 14550 words with a table of contents worth. The savagery.

Reactions: BrawlMan

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Mick went in and brought receipts, 14550 words with a table of contents worth. The savagery.
So you have the guy who made doom 2016 OST, something which literally every human being on earth agree is awesome and even demon would say it makes there demise pleasant. It's so awesome that it pretty much birth a new genre of game, with multiple "doom clone, but you gotta kill stuff to the beat of the soundtrack" coming out lately. You get him back for the sequel (because duh), and instead of treating him like absolute royalty, you treat him like dirt?! For what, save a few dollars on a multi millions dollars budget and not have a bruised ego that the sound guy can tell your schedule doesn't work? Even evil greedy exec should understand you don't kill a golden goose, this is just stupidity for stupidity sake.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
So you have the guy who made doom 2016 OST, something which literally every human being on earth agree is awesome and even demon would say it makes there demise pleasant. It's so awesome that it pretty much birth a new genre of game, with multiple "doom clone, but you gotta kill stuff to the beat of the soundtrack" coming out lately. You get him back for the sequel (because duh), and instead of treating him like absolute royalty, you treat him like dirt?! For what, save a few dollars on a multi millions dollars budget and not have a bruised ego that the sound guy can tell your schedule doesn't work? Even evil greedy exec should understand you don't kill a golden goose, this is just stupidity for stupidity sake.
Seems that unless you're an exec, working for the AAA industry kinda sucks all around, and doubly so when you're not on the payroll.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
PETA kills way more animals than they save. Fuck off you assholes! This is nothing new, and they've gone after Cooking Mama and Pokemon before this point.
My thoughts exactly. The article itself isn't too well-written either, but we all know PETA is gonna jump at a opportunity

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Nice clickbait headline, Polygon. Slow news day I guess lol?

Anyways, wasn’t PETA the one praising Elden Ring earlier in the year as being pro-animal, ignoring the fact players can wantonly kill shitloads of them all at a whim for “material” gain?

I just…ok then!

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
PETA wasn't mentioned anywhere in the article; they merely said that the game might be a bit taxing for people that have great sympathy towards animals.
I'm aware. I'm just saying PETA might jump on the bandwagon for a poorly-written article without checking for the facts. And we all know how insane their double standards are

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I'm aware. I'm just saying PETA might jump on the bandwagon for a poorly-written article without checking for the facts. And we all know how insane their double standards are
I mean, PETA gonna PETA. I'm not sure if anyone fucking cares what those nutters think anymore.

The last thing I remember from them was in relation to the Killer dogs in COD: World at War AKA COD: Now with more War Crimes. A game with a notable scene where you can either shoot a group of surrendering German soldiers or burn them to death, depending on how you're feeling at that moment(Letting them surrender is not an option), which is why the whole "Spare the murder dogs" thing feels a bit stupid.

Also, as someone who wants to pet every doggo IRL, I'm just gonna say those fucking dogs in COD can burn in hell.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Someone made an interesting comment regarding repetition-
Andres Riquelme 17 hours ago

Repetition is good to really hammer down the underlying rules of the world:

-Memory stones are held in mage towers, and are locked with a magic riddle.

-Catacombs have ashes in the tree burial chamber, that is locked by the tree themed door, locked with a lever somewhere in the catacombs.

-Ruins have a hidden basement somewhere.

-Churches have sites of grace, sacred tears, and a talk with melina.

-Killing giant dragons and consuming their hearts give you their breaths.

-Evergoals, giant stone circles have powerful beings trapped inside.

-The moving mausoleums are stopped by destroying the souls trapped in the spiritual rocks.

-Deathbirds and Night cavalries only appear at night.

-Divine towers unlocks the powers of great runes.

-Minor erdtrees have tree avatars that hold crystals for your potions.

-Golden trees have golden seeds below them.

-Mining caves have smithing stones to look for in the walls. And caves are literally all over the place, both geographically, and thematically, when you enter a cave, you cannot predict what the heck you're getting into, and even sometimes, don't even know where you will end up.

The problem with repitition is that it gives you a sense of "i've seen this before", even if it isn't exactly the same. I'd say the real problem has nothing to do with content reuse or anything like that. Instead, the problem was that they failed (mostly) to capitalize on the best thing you can do once you create a pattern: BREAK IT. Break it hard leave them stumbled on the floor trying to figure out what the heck is going on.

Some examples:
(They do this one!) A basement ruin that has the entrance hidden with an illusion. But they could have also easily done that it doesn't lead to a basement, and instead to a cave, catacomb, whatever!

(They do this one!) A church that has enemies instead of a place to rest. Maybe an evergoal brings you to an unfamiliar place, or its a trap, or is a big skirmish instead of a boss battle. They could have done literally anything else and it would have surprised the players.

One of the divine towers could have a surprise boss battle in order to get the rune.

One of the rotting or fallen minor erdtrees could have an already dead boss, and you'll have to find the crystal hidden somewhere, or kill whatever killed the avatar. Because the pattern isn't broken enough times, or not at all, means that you don't ever expect anything different each time you find something familiar, and indeed it is.

But make enough "exceptions" to the rule, and suddenly when you enter a catacomb, you won't know if its just a "pull lever-> find door -> kill boss -> leave" catacomb, or a secret alternative path to reach the deeproot basin, a teleporting trap to the other side of the world, a ton of fake levers needing to find the right one, a huge riddle that needs to be solved instead of a lever, or even just plainly finding an npc instead of a boss at the end of the dungeon.

If they threw those curve balls, one at a limgrave catacomb, one at a caelid catacomb, and two in liurnia, when you enter a catacomb at the altus plateau, you would still feel like although it could be a normal ass catacomb, it also could be something you've never seen before... and that keeps the feeling of discovery to the very end!

Curious to hear what @CriticalGaming thinks of this :)

Reactions: Dalisclock