What have you learned today?

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
I remember a period years ago when I was doing it as often as poss and it had the side effect of messing up speech in long sentences at odd unexpected moments, but I was hitting it hard along with anything else I could get hold of at the time. It was the least concerning of all the other chemicals' side effects tbh.
Ah yes, I still have trouble with talking sometimes. The words just won't come out. I know what I want to say, I can talk round it most of the time, but I often get work colleagues finishing my sentences for me as I get stuck. Most stimulants are pretty good at frying your brain in one way or another.

The collective noun for badgers is cete.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
That's weird, just tried it at home on Firefox (at work I use Waterfox because Firefox is blocked and you can't even install if you have IT admin rights). You have to be in a reply box for whatever reason though, not just on a page.
Yeah, I know. Did that. Just swaps punctuation around. Your browser may be haunted.

Reactions: Phoenixmgs

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
I learned that I'm ready to hand in my notice to my boss on Monday and can't handle this job for any longer than the notice period. I also suspect through personal experience and things I've learned over the years that I may very well be screwed in being able to hold a job for longer than a year or two due to stuff going on in my head and how it affects my ability to stay at one place for a long period of time, leaving long term jobs, careers, and post-secondary education completely out of the question.
Yay

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
The Vatican Bank's official name is The Institute for the Works of Religion( IOR) which totally doesn't sound like the name of a bank at all. It's also not terribly old either, founded in 1942 and man it has a lot of fucking controversies for an institution that isn't that old, especially compared to the Catholic Church itself(the age, not the controversies).

I was looking this up because the thought occurred "Why the fuck does the Church have it's own bank?" and the surface answer is apparently to manage their money which I get because the Church is a very large Organization with worldwide holdings and no doubt needs a team of accountants to track all that money. At the same time, I'm not shocked at all to learn it's had issues with embezzlement and money laundering. It's amusing that for being a rather mediocre film, the premise of Godfather Part 3 being that the Vatican bank was kinda corrupt really isn't a bad one at all(The execution, OTOH).

Last edited:

davidmc1158

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020

I had always thought the idea came from the similarities in color between tomatoes and some poisonous berries. Shows how much I know.

Reactions: gorfias

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010

I had always thought the idea came from the similarities in color between tomatoes and some poisonous berries. Shows how much I know.
I'd have thought that if people are using lead plates, you'd hate to eat a lot of tomatoes off hem for you to get notably worse lead poisoning than something eating other things off them.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
To be fair, castle assaults were rare for reasons such as this. Normally if a castle was to be dealt with, the attacking army would settle in for a siege and let the people inside starve until they surrendered. Naturally this isn't very cinematic or interesting to watch so it's rarely depicted in fiction.

As a related fact, you know those little walls on top of castles that give them a distinct appearance? Those are called Battlements and exist to give the defenders something to hide behind while attacking from atop the wall. Less known are holes in the battlements, called Machicolations and they're designed to let the defenders drop rocks or other things onto people trying to take shelter at the base of the wall or attack the wall directly at the base.Notably they'd be above entryways such as gates so when the attackers were trying to batter the door down, the defenders can be dropping hot pitch, boiling oil or just rocks and shit onto their heads.

So, as mentioned before, assaulting a castle is hard. Easier to just cut the supply lines and let the defenders starve.

Last edited:

XsjadoBlaydette

Piss-Drinking Nazi Wine-Mums
May 26, 2022
Country
Wales
Stanley Kubrick's daughter is super pilled, and not only a fan of Infowars, but was also a guest on there too on multiple occasions.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I'm watching the run up to the Artemis launch and why am I hearing, just now, that we're planning on setting up an international space station in lunar orbit?

Reactions: Dalisclock

XsjadoBlaydette

Piss-Drinking Nazi Wine-Mums
May 26, 2022
Country
Wales
With how crazy, obsessive and abusive Kubrick could be it’s little wonder that his kid would be cracked in one way or another.
Perhaps, though from I been observing there's often multiple factors that contribute to making people more vulnerable to these such rabbit holes of baseless belief. Various traumas are indeed one of them.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I'm watching the run up to the Artemis launch and why am I hearing, just now, that we're planning on setting up an international space station in lunar orbit?
It's been talked about here and there but honestly hasn't really been picked up by mainstream news, rather then space nerds. Even then, Artemis has taken so long to get off the ground I honestly keep forgetting about that part of it.

Or put more simply, it's not cool and sexy like sending people to Mars so most people don't care much.

Last edited:

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
It's been talked about here and there but honestly hasn't really been picked up by mainstream news, rather then space nerds. Even then, Artemis has taken so long to get off the ground I honestly keep forgetting about that part of it.

Or put more simply, it's not cool and sexy like sending people to Mars so most people don't care much.
People who think a lunar space station isn't massively cool and sexy enough don't deserve Mars.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Yesterday I learned my dog can shake her head hard enough to not only divorce a 1' long (not including tail) blue tongue lizard from it it's tail and right rear leg but also get some of it's guts on the windows.

One of these buggers.

blue-tongue2.jpg

Reactions: Zykon TheLich

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I think killing rats by shaking them was an important job for dogs back in the day.

How big is your dog?