What are you currently playing?

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Continuing with Resident Evil: Code Veronica. I got the disc resurfaced and was able to make it past the door that froze the game. Hooray! Got to what seemed to be the end of the game. The self destruct was activated and we took off from the island in a plane. Well that was pretty anticlimactic, I still have a ton of health and ammo left and the game was pretty short. Oh wait, no it was a fake out ending and this is only the end of part 1. I should have known by the fact that the main villain (who is very silly and doesn't really make any sense, and can change clothes as fast as Team Rocket) is still alive and hasn't transformed themselves into a giant monster yet. I wasn't expecting the game to end, but this fake out got my hopes up and then dashed them and kind of killed my motivation to continue tonight. Also I need to reload an old save because I got pretty reckless about my ammo and health use, good thing I didn't overwrite my previous saves.

Also what the heck is with Claire forgetting how to use her guns every time a cutscene starts playing? 3 times so far she has just stood there gasping as something is about to kill her until someone comes along to save her. Claire, just shoot them with your grenade launcher!

Reactions: Hawki and BrawlMan

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Finished Bayonetta 3 (just dropped a way too long post about my thoughts in that dedicated thread but overall liked it).
Back to Ragnarok post-game "clean-up" content. As with the previous one, I hate actually trying to find my way around the world but I just NEED to get platinum because... I dunno, I'm sick. I'm gonna go complain about that on that thread now.

Reactions: BrawlMan

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
So with Freya, I liked her bonding time with Kratos because it ultimately felt earned. Starting with her complaining about everything while you’re trying to help her no less, to being able to see things From Kratos’s perspective was pleasing.

Also, damned if she wasn’t getting annoying during the fight with the giant realm tear gremlin (nice surprise though!).
“HURRY UP!! CAN’T YOU PULL IT OUT MORE!?! IT’S STILL TOO CLOSE TO THE ROOOOOOTSSS!!!”

God love Kratos’s response though, “I’M TRYING!!!

But yeah, good times overall and I’m curious to see where things lead from here. While there is more enemy variety, I do wish there was less spamming of the grunt type of enemies. There have been so many elves, so many blue forcefield dudes, etc. Although I guess this has always been the case with GoW, but maybe the new format makes it stick out more.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Just finished Somerville. While I overall enjoyed the game, I'd say the final third of it is a bit of a slog with some pretty obscure puzzles for the simple game mechanics. It started to feel like they were just throwing things in to make it "weird." Nowhere near as clean as INSIDE, but worth a play or two.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Got my old Minecraft account back after ten years of not playing it, and after about five seeds I finally got one that didn't leave me in the middle of nowhere with nothing interesting to explore nearby. Seems to me like everyone else gets all these super interesting seeds with villages and caves and temples to explore, or strange starting points like islands or rare biomes, and I just get stuck in the middle of a flat plain almost every time. Still, on my current world I managed to get a nearby village to start and a cave and ravine nearby for early mining and exploration, so that's gonna be fun to build up to.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Finished my replay through Mercenaries, World in Flames and then back to Playground of Destruction. And I decided to finish off the walk through Pandemic Studios history by grabbing The Saboteur on GOG, a game I hadn't played before. Right away, it isn't as good as either Mercenaries title. But it is loads of fun, especially when you finally get past the opening tedious (and far too numerous and long) introduction missions and just have a map of targets, a satchel full of dynamite, and money for more dynamite for everything you blow up with dynamite. Or Nazi officer you kill in a variety of fun ways. And I don't know care why this Mick is in France, but dude can tank Nazi bullets by the dozen while sprinting at top speed and regenerates health in a second or two when getting out of direct gunfire for another second or so. There's a decent number of guns, and cars, and support options, and disguising yourself like a Nazi, and stealth takedowns, and climbing mechanics and parkour... and it is all completely useless. There isn't anything in the game you can't just sprint to in the open, tanking all gunfire, plant dynamite on, sprint away tanking all gunfire again, and lose all pursuit by making 2 turns and sprinting away in alleys. I wouldn't want to try it, but it is probably possible to play through the entire game without firing a gun. Just running past everyone and lobbing bombs and planting dynamite. Actually I might try it sometime. It is a winning strategy thus far.

But don't unlock all the "perks," or at least avoid the last one on the stealth tree. It replaces your "punch repeatedly in the back of the head" hilarious "stealth" takedown with a "touch of death." It is funny precisely once to see this Irish mechanic quietly walk up behind some Nazi and silently freaking Dim Mak him and stroll away watching him ragdoll after a second or so. But the repeated rabbit punches are a better long-term joke. So, not as fun as Pandemic's prior games... but still entertaining. I might even get back to the story missions at some point.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
So Atreus is being all teenager-y and does something risky. Let’s just say where he ends up, I think it’s funny how the game appears to flip the accepted (expected?) notion of what Asgard is supposed to be. I mean, I turned in at the beginning of a walkabout but yeah.

Also, Heimdall is a bratty, arrogant little red-eyed shithead. Hope we get to take him down later.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy: Xbox Play Anywhere

I'm playing through the very beginning and already had 2 irritating things happen:
1) I was told to follow Rocket. Well, he wasn't going anywhere. So I walked around some, collected some stuff and only then after returning to him did he move on.
2) He enters a place I'd have to crouch to get into. There is no crouch button. In 2022. I was supposed to walk around the obstruction. To do so, for a time, I wasn't following Rocket.

I hope the bulk of the game doesn't have these kinds of issues.

Voices are different from the movie as well as the looks of the characters but I'll get over it.

It almost looks like a very pretty flash game separated by cut scenes. Needle drops have been terrific.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy: Xbox Play Anywhere

2) He enters a place I'd have to crouch to get into. There is no crouch button. In 2022.
Crouch buttons won't be invented until 2030. Anything you've been told to the contrary is a lie sold to you by Big Crouch button.

I got nothing.

Reactions: Hawki and gorfias

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I also had weird technical/navigation issues the first time I tried Guardians. Then when I went back to it months later I re-installed the game and got past it. Dunno if that did it, it was patched, or whatever. So do try the re-install thing.
Platform for me was XBox via GamePass if that matters.

Reactions: gorfias

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
So I guess I'm on a major Viking trip right now.

God of War: Ragnarok- completed yesterday

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice- I gave up on this game because I hated the environmental puzzles but I love the idea of it so much that I want to give it another chance. Will be restarting this tonight or tomorrow.

Assassin's Creed: Valhalla- yeah yeah I know everyone hates this one but I don't. AC is my good-bad series, in that I recognize its flaws and understand the complaints about it but I still enjoy them. Looks like Dec 6 will be the final update with some sort of last quest that presumably explains how Eivor's body ends up in North America.

Valheim?- I'm gonna buy a Steam Deck and maybe check this one out at some point because like everyone freaking loves this. "Survival" games ain't my thing so much so I dunno.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I'm going back into Elden Ring.

I discovered a woman whose sole purpose [AFAIK] is to give you hugs and an item that temporarily boosts your poise. I giggled because it's clearly a condescending nod towards people like myself for whom the game's punishing difficulty finds us getting brutalized and we might need a hug and stiff upper lip from time to time.

I imagine somewhere else in this world is a woman who'll jab a barbed dildo up your ass and break your thumbs for those who aren't getting challenged enough.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Valheim?- I'm gonna buy a Steam Deck and maybe check this one out at some point because like everyone freaking loves this. "Survival" games ain't my thing so much so I dunno.
It's not that interesting unless you have a regular group you can play with.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I'm going back into Elden Ring.

I discovered a woman whose sole purpose [AFAIK] is to give you hugs and an item that temporarily boosts your poise. I giggled because it's clearly a condescending nod towards people like myself for whom the game's punishing difficulty finds us getting brutalized and we might need a hug and stiff upper lip from time to time.

I imagine somewhere else in this world is a woman who'll jab a barbed dildo up your ass and break your thumbs for those who aren't getting challenged enough.

Ohhh but this is a FROM game we’re dealing with, so of course there’s a catch!

Ain’t much to fret about if it’s practically unnoticeable though. There’s also several ways to compensate if you want to carry it, but typically it’s most useful during boss fights where getting poise broken is a big deal.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

Ain’t much to fret about if it’s practically unnoticeable though. There’s also several ways to compensate if you want to carry it, but typically it’s most useful during boss fights where getting poise broken is a big deal.
If Bloodborne taught me anything, it's that anything that seems nice is just making things worse. Try to help that child find her parents? DEATH. Try to help that nice lady by bringing her to the chapel? Raped by a godSend people to the Clinic for help? Turned into aliens. . Inviting that poor man lost in the woods back to safety? Serial killer

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States

Noticeable or not, I trusted her, and she LITERALLY broke my heart!

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Noticeable or not, I trusted her, and she LITERALLY broke my heart!

I really liked her side quest, and FTR I’d still hug her anytime.

Also, she slyly hints at what she’s gonna do

Perhaps you might share with me some of your lifely vigour, and your stout-heartedness.
Doing so will grant me the warmth of a champion. And you, I am sure, will bear a baldachin's blessing.

What’s kinda cool is if you hug her in online mode your character is uploaded to the game server as one of her randomized champions in other peoples games.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
What’s kinda cool is if you hug her in online mode your character is uploaded to the game server as one of her randomized champions in other peoples games.
That is pretty cool. It'd be cooler still if somehow they were able to apply the Drivatar mechanic from Forza and the randomized champion behaved similar to the real person's playstyle. In that case, anyone who gets my "champion" wouldn't have much to worry about, i.e.: a lot of senseless, stamina-depleting back rolls, poorly-time healing, a LOT of whiffs when distance has been misjudged, etc.

Also, it'd be nice if you could somehow see how many times your character was selected and what their K/D ratio was. Maybe even gift the player if their champion wins the fight.