The Shattered Elden Ring Thread: Tarnished Edition - (Shadow of the Erdtree p. 85)

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
They didn’t say anything about DLC, just an update. DLC won’t likely be free.
Probably not. I really don't think ER needs a DLC tough, because like....the game is big enough isn't it? What's a DLC gonna add? If it adds another giant fucking area to explore with more random and mostly useless caves and whatnot then...is it worth it?

Other Souls DLC's made sense because they weren't extensions of overly large games themselves, instead small chunks of extra content that wrapped up lore and added three or so bosses. They worked because they fit the content of the rest of the game. But an ER DLC cannot come out and be a small legacy dungeon with only three bosses because the rest of the game has set players up to expect WAY more than that. So if they do announce a DLC, I imagine it'll be mid next year and also be another giant area to deal with.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Probably not. I really don't think ER needs a DLC tough, because like....the game is big enough isn't it? What's a DLC gonna add? If it adds another giant fucking area to explore with more random and mostly useless caves and whatnot then...is it worth it?

Other Souls DLC's made sense because they weren't extensions of overly large games themselves, instead small chunks of extra content that wrapped up lore and added three or so bosses. They worked because they fit the content of the rest of the game. But an ER DLC cannot come out and be a small legacy dungeon with only three bosses because the rest of the game has set players up to expect WAY more than that. So if they do announce a DLC, I imagine it'll be mid next year and also be another giant area to deal with.
Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 are already pretty large (I know ER is bigger than both combined), and they got additional DLC to explore new areas and fighting monsters. If it happens, then it happens. If not, oh well. ER you don't like anyway, so you really lose nothing nor gain much.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 are already pretty large (I know ER is bigger than both combined), and they got additional DLC to explore new areas and fighting monsters. If it happens, then it happens. If not, oh well. ER you don't like anyway, so you really lose nothing nor gain much.
I'm also bitter that Sekiro didn't get any DLC.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Sekiro is as long as it needs to be. Unless they were going to add some new weapons or something, it did not need DLC. Too spicy for my taste. If I need something that difficult or need a big parry fix, I'll stick with DMC 5, MG Rising, Bayonetta, or even Oneechanbara Origin. I like difficulty, but I don't need my blood pressure to go that high.

Back on point, just be happy the game did well and that ER took elements from it to go even further. One game building off the last. The cycle continues as usual.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Lol ok. So first you joke about this update being trivial DLC, and then complain the actual DLC will probably be fucking giant. The truth is we don’t know what the hell they have planned, besides some theories. Some involving the clouded area of the map in the center, others involving waking Miquella.

We all know your issues with the game, but pretty sure there will still be a shitton of people who think it would be worth it.
Didn’t you say you didn’t even like the game that much in the first place?

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I like how the wife said "Breath Of The Wild is better than this". That's a spicy hot take that's going to make some people piss their panties. I know part of it was frustration, but it just goes to show how hard it is for non-gamers or gamers to know certain directions. I wonder how she would feel, if she was given a whole bunch of seventh generation games to play, that are mostly hand-holdy. Would she complain about them giving her too much direction? I would find it hilarious, if he had her play Bayonetta, Devil May Cry, or Ninja Gaiden? I can see the frustration now.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Once I got far enough into the game to avoid spoilers, I started watching this playthrough on YouTube from Gamefront. It's a guy by the name of James Heany who has played and somehow managed to complete all of the Souls games despite his often incomprehensibly bad play. He has the memory of a goldfish, the attention span of a humming bird, a sense of direction like a drunk stepping off a tilt-a-whirl, and selective hearing when his partner (Morgan) tries to help him. His challenge in Elden Ring is to beat it dying fewer than a thousand times. It's hilarious watching him struggle through no one's fault but his own, but it also gives me confidence that if he can do it, I KNOW I can.