I love it but I don't want to play it again.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I can add Shadows of the Damned to the list. There is no NG+, and I've already beat the game on Normal and Hard. I have not touched it since 2017 when I got it. Oneechanbara Origin, I've done everything, and I won't be back on it for a long while. Fun game, but is only worth purchasing on a big sale with all of the DLC included. Z2 Chaos is still the superior title and best in the franchise. The next game can't be a remake and needs to really shake it up.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Hence when I meant the grey area. I never once said or implied the monsters were imaginary/hallucinations, nor that James never interacted with them. At the end of the day, Angela and James are punishing themselves, and town is only giving them what they (think they) want. Just look at @Casual Shinji's post from earlier. We both more or less said the same thing, but he adds more detail.
Oh right, i kind of misunderstood when you said he was doing it to himself, in that case. I suppose we can hardly know the motivation of the town in doing what it's doing (if it can be said to have a motive at all).

I just get the impression it's got nothing to do with subconscious wish fulfilment. The town spends numerous other games terrorising people who have no wish to die at all. And while Eddie has buried guilt, I don't think he's seeking death, either. I always interpret it as the town exploiting whatever psychological leverage it can get hold of. It doesn't care if you think you deserve it or not.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Those sex scenes were.....they did not age well.
But there's gonna be a bunch of angry incels if the remake cuts the Sex Cards out.

Speaking of the remake... I'm starting to think Bioware could do with remaking DA:Origins to do the same as the Witcher remake claims to be planning to do, basically keeping the story and shit the same but rejigging the action/playstyle to align with the later titles... Except... well... EA are involved and fuck only knows what they'd insist on.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I just get the impression it's got nothing to do with subconscious wish fulfilment.
It does on some level. Keep in mind, SH2 is a side story, so the cult shenanigans are off to the wayside, but the town is suffering from the aftereffects.

I suppose we can hardly know the motivation of the town in doing what it's doing (if it can be said to have a motive at all).
Exactly why it's a grey area and mostly kept ambiguous.

Eddie has buried guilt, I don't think he's seeking death, either.
No duh on that. Note how I never mentioned Eddie at all about being one of people there by death seeking or (supposed) guilt. He was there to indulge in his sick pleasures, even if he temporarily forced himself to forget why he went to the town. "The town called you here too." is played with ambiguity. Eddie assumes he knows why they're all there. Speaking for himself and James. How right he is depends on the player, the choices they made in that playthrough, or how they interpret the characters and story.

I always interpret it as the town exploiting whatever psychological leverage it can get hold of. It doesn't care if you think you deserve it or not.
Like I said before, it's the town giving people what they (think they) want. It's kept ambiguous in most regards, but the town ain't exactly out to get them, nor does it care too much. "It's yours; take it. Not my problem either way." is what I'm getting from the town. It's why the town looks like a normal town to the little girl. She has no baggage, nor traumatization. If the town was really that malevolent (in this specific title), it would have gone after her, innocent or not.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Speaking of the remake... I'm starting to think Bioware could do with remaking DA:Origins to do the same as the Witcher remake claims to be planning to do, basically keeping the story and shit the same but rejigging the action/playstyle to align with the later titles... Except... well... EA are involved and fuck only knows what they'd insist on.
This comes up a lot over at r/DragonAge on Reddit but apparently the big issue is that Origins was developed on an in-house engine that Bioware has long since stopped using and likely nobody really knows how to use anymore anyway(and it was already straining the limits when DA2 came out). They's essentially have to rebuild the entire game on Frostbite from scratch. Which wouldn't be terrible since they know how to use it now but I think right now they're all in on Dragon Age Dreadwolf and Mass Effect 4.

So maybe if those games do really well(especially Dreadwolf) they might consider remaking Origins but we don't even know when Dreadwolf is coming out(and man, some of those guys on the subreddit were fucking made when nothing was mentioned about it at the Game Awards) and the fact it's already been rebooted twice is not comforting.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
This comes up a lot over at r/DragonAge on Reddit but apparently the big issue is that Origins was developed on an in-house engine that Bioware has long since stopped using and likely nobody really knows how to use anymore anyway(and it was already straining the limits when DA2 came out). They's essentially have to rebuild the entire game on Frostbite from scratch. Which wouldn't be terrible since they know how to use it now but I think right now they're all in on Dragon Age Dreadwolf and Mass Effect 4.

So maybe if those games do really well(especially Dreadwolf) they might consider remaking Origins but we don't even know when Dreadwolf is coming out(and man, some of those guys on the subreddit were fucking made when nothing was mentioned about it at the Game Awards) and the fact it's already been rebooted twice is not comforting.
Origin is pretty generic though, not much of a point to remaking it compared to just making another game in the franchise, so if they have to rebuild from scratch that seems like a lot of effort.

Reactions: Dalisclock

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
This comes up a lot over at r/DragonAge on Reddit but apparently the big issue is that Origins was developed on an in-house engine that Bioware has long since stopped using and likely nobody really knows how to use anymore anyway(and it was already straining the limits when DA2 came out). They's essentially have to rebuild the entire game on Frostbite from scratch.
TW1 is getting rebuilt from scratch (kindasorta) in UE5 because CDP/CDPR are switching over to Unreal Engine for future titles (atm, anyway).

And fuck EA and their 'everyone has to use Frostbite now' shitfuckery. Bioware used to be known for their RPG engines.

They could also do what CDP/CDPR are doing and hand off the remake to another studio and just have someone sit on their shoulder with the mandate "TW1 but plays like TW3"... or in this case "DAO but plays like DAI".

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
No duh on that. Note how I never mentioned Eddie at all about being one of people there by death seeking or (supposed) guilt. He was there to indulge in his sick pleasures, even if he temporarily forced himself to forget why he went to the town. "The town called you here too." is played with ambiguity. Eddie assumes he knows why they're all there. Speaking for himself and James. How right he is depends on the player, the choices they made in that playthrough, or how they interpret the characters and story.
Right-- which means we're given another instance in the same game of the town giving zero shits about subconscious wish fulfilment, and just exploiting guilt for torment.

Like I said before, it's the town giving people what they (think they) want. It's kept ambiguous in most regards, but the town ain't exactly out to get them, nor does it care too much. "It's yours; take it. Not my problem either way." is what I'm getting from the town. It's why the town looks like a normal town to the little girl. She has no baggage, nor traumatization. If the town was really that malovent (in this specific title), it would have gone after her, innocent or not.
No baggage = no guilt or trauma to exploit.

We know it does go after the innocent, if they have trauma, even in SH2.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Right-- which means we're given another instance in the same game of the town giving zero shits about subconscious wish fulfilment, and just exploiting guilt for torment.
Up to your interpretation. Hence why I said it's kept mostly ambiguous. The answer could work either way.

No baggage = no guilt or trauma to exploit.
Yeah.
We know it does go after the innocent, if they have trauma, even in SH2
Once again, kept ambiguous. Second, Angela was mainly punishing herself, thinking she deserved it (she didn't from trying to escape abuse and attack her abusers). She couldn't overcome her trauma unfortunately and let it consume her. Note how in the better ending, James is able to confront his sins and trauma head-on. Once he does that, the town (the brief time we see it as he is leaving) is seen normal again as he walks off with Laura. Either interpretations can work, and neither of us are the first one to come to eithre conclusion. If that is how you feel, fine. I don't care too much.

Nothing personal, but I got shit to do, and not going through the constant back and forth on this. I won't be on here for a lot of today and possibly tomorrow.

Reactions: Silvanus

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
I stopped playing at the 2/3 part and never looked back. Crysis 2 and 3 are way more re-playable and fun.

I can add Redout, seeing how Wipeout Omega Collection and Fast RMX are better futuristic racing games.
I think the first Crysis has the open world/level thing done better than the newer games. But it does have a lot of shit segments, like the Ceph bits and the final boss gave me an aneurysm when I played the remastered version from how BS it was. The powers are also awkward as fuck, the remastered version does have an option for contextual power use instead of manually having to activate modes(like automatically going into speed when sprinting) but it doesn't feel good.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I think the first Crysis has the open world/level thing done better than the newer games. But it does have a lot of shit segments
Crysis is only better than the later games in that regard. Which makes sense, as Crysis is the spiritual sequel and a much expansive version of Far Cry. Also, what you're thinking of is open-ended level design. Not open world. The game is still linear, but you can tackle objectives however you choose for 2/3 of the game. After that it's shitty corridors, crappy turret sections, and lame vehicles. Crysis 3 is not as open-ended as Crysis, but brings back secondary objectives, and strikes a nice balance and streamlining of 1 and 2's level design. The levels are pretty huge, and a player will be doing a lot in them, despite the game being slightly shorter than Crysis 2. Both sequels have the better pacing, so I have no problems with the shorter length.

The powers are also awkward as fuck, the remastered version does have an option for contextual power use instead of manually having to activate modes(like automatically going into speed when sprinting) but it doesn't feel good.
I remember keeping the control to default and worked fine for me after some getting used to it. This was a game meant for PC in 2007, and some weird work arounds are gonna occur when trying to modernize. I don't blame you for your problems with that control scheme and will agree with you.

Last edited:

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
I also want to add a title that may be surprising some of you; Mass Effect Andromeda.

Before we talk about the most obvious flaws with the game, I wanna talk about what I enjoyed about the game. I enjoyed exploring part of the universe that was barely covered in original trilogy. I enjoyed meeting new species and characters, and the world-building and lore stemming from them.

HOWEVER, I also had to suffer through various technical problems. The game is well-known for its glitches and bugs, but I also feel there were other flaws with the game. The map exploration felt like it was copied over from Dragon Age Inquisition, but worse. There weren't as many interesting things to discover and using jetpacks for platformer meant the game compelled me to explore every corner of the map, only to discover invisible wall or terrains not meant for me to go.

The class system was kinda bad too. It felt like skyrim where I can add points to whatever skills I want, creating my own unique class. This idea sounds good on paper, except I ended up building a classic vanguard (weapons + biotics), making this feature kinda pointless. At least in Skyrim, it was kinda necessary as you're most likely to travel alone and therefore kinda need to be a jack of all trades, but here you got party members who can not only cover skills you lack but can even do better.

The combat is fun, but I just didn't get the party synergy that I got from past games. No sync between the abilities. It was more or less "hit'em till they die!" type of combat.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I also want to add a title that may be surprising some of you; Mass Effect Andromeda.

The class system was kinda bad too. It felt like skyrim where I can add points to whatever skills I want, creating my own unique class. This idea sounds good on paper, except I ended up building a classic vanguard (weapons + biotics), making this feature kinda pointless. At least in Skyrim, it was kinda necessary as you're most likely to travel alone and therefore kinda need to be a jack of all trades, but here you got party members who can not only cover skills you lack but can even do better.
Except it was worse than that since the game hard limited you to 3 power, less than in ME1/2/3.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Strider (2014) and most metroidvanias in general. I want a new game that is more stage focused like the originals. This genre is really not my thing, and the games in this area I do enjoy are far and few between.

mirbrownbread

Elite Member
Nov 16, 2022
Belgium
Country
Belgium
Elden Ring actually.

While I didn't mind how much the barren landscapes broke up the Soulslike formula while playing, that might've been cuz I kept on waiting for things to get better soon... Now that I've seen everything it has to offer, I can't make myself go through all that padded and re-hashed content again... Even if they did apply new spins on the bosses we face a handful of times, very few of the dungeons are actually worth conquering.

I found myself missing the more grounded Dark Souls level design, where I had to carefully approach corners and look for shortcuts since there were so few bonfires around... Every inch of that world serves a purpose, while Elden Ring went full speed in the opposite direction. Most of the main bosses are also quite unbalanced unless you use spirit summons, but then it's waay to easy (I did beat everything solo, though, no worries :) )

So, this is the only FROM game that I refuse to work towards the platinum trophy for

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Elden Ring actually.

While I didn't mind how much the barren landscapes broke up the Soulslike formula while playing, that might've been cuz I kept on waiting for things to get better soon... Now that I've seen everything it has to offer, I can't make myself go through all that padded and re-hashed content again... Even if they did apply new spins on the bosses we face a handful of times, very few of the dungeons are actually worth conquering.

I found myself missing the more grounded Dark Souls level design, where I had to carefully approach corners and look for shortcuts since there were so few bonfires around... Every inch of that world serves a purpose, while Elden Ring went full speed in the opposite direction. Most of the main bosses are also quite unbalanced unless you use spirit summons, but then it's waay to easy (I did beat everything solo, though, no worries :) )

So, this is the only FROM game that I refuse to work towards the platinum trophy for
I'm still working on my first playthrough, but I imagine I will have the same sentiments (assuming I'm actually able to finish it.) I've got over 30 hours in the game and have only beaten TWO of the main questline bosses; the idea of starting this all again is exhausting. Elden Ring might be the first game I personally consider to be TOO big. Kudos for the effort, but Miyazaki really blew his load on this one. And congrats on soloing everything; you're a better person than me for that one. Me and my spirit summons roll deep whenever possible, and I don't care to try it any other way; I gots nuttin' to prove to nobody!

1671636502428.png

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I'm still working on my first playthrough, but I imagine I will have the same sentiments (assuming I'm actually able to finish it.) I've got over 30 hours in the game and have only beaten TWO of the main questline bosses; the idea of starting this all again is exhausting. Elden Ring might be the first game I personally consider to be TOO big. Kudos for the effort, but Miyazaki really blew his load on this one. And congrats on soloing everything; you're a better person than me for that one. Me and my spirit summons roll deep whenever possible, and I don't care to try it any other way; I gots nuttin' to prove to nobody!

Ghost Bois are best bois.