The Great Xmas Blizzard of 2022?

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
it's something you just have to know out of instinct.
Hmm, no, driving is definitely something you learn, not something you know instinctively. It's routine and everyday (hence people's complacency about things like driving over the speed limit or drink driving), but it's only instinctive in the same way as locking the front door (i.e. there's a line between automatic and instinctive).

Side note: I'm excellent at locking the front door.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Consistently speeding and extreme complacency towards risk show you're a bad driver.
Doing 5 over isn't speeding... What are you talking about complacency towards risk? I was driving 40 tops the Friday previous to the Great Xmas Blizzard because the roads were worse that day and people were going faster than me, having tons of accidents (icy is worse than snowy). I also said I wouldn't ever ride a motorcycle because of the risk, but I'm complacent towards risk?

Hmm, no, driving is definitely something you learn, not something you know instinctively. It's routine and everyday (hence people's complacency about things like driving over the speed limit or drink driving), but it's only instinctive in the same way as locking the front door (i.e. there's a line between automatic and instinctive).

Side note: I'm excellent at locking the front door.
Sure, you have to learn it, but when you start sliding, you can't be like "well I'm sliding to the right, which means that I should then turn to the right". It can't be a thing you have to actually think about when it happens.

I googled it just because of the repeated claims that google wont tell you and... All the top results said to take your foot off the gas, then turn.

Awkward.
Not saying you can't find it on google, but the general advice is telling you just to turn into the slide. Not even the video Kwak posted said to take you foot/feet off the pedals, it just said to don't brake.

1672261171434.png

1672260516892.png

1672260614795.png

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Doing 5 over isn't speeding... What are you talking about complacency towards risk? I was driving 40 tops the Friday previous to the Great Xmas Blizzard because the roads were worse that day and people were going faster than me, having tons of accidents (icy is worse than snowy). I also said I wouldn't ever ride a motorcycle because of the risk, but I'm complacent towards risk?

Sure, you have to learn it, but when you start sliding, you can't be like "well I'm sliding to the right, which means that I should then turn to the right". It can't be a thing you have to actually think about when it happens.

Not saying you can't find it on google, but the general advice is telling you just to turn into the slide. Not even the video Kwak posted said to take you foot/feet off the pedals, it just said to don't brake.

View attachment 7630

View attachment 7628

View attachment 7629
Depending on the car, engine breaking when removing all accelerator input could shift the weight the same as tapping the brake would, and braking is the basic panic response so that's probably why it's emphasised.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Environment As A Service, the next trend in business.
It sort of already is the default - money buys better views, surroundings, water treatment.
Weird how the rich seem to love nature for their own home environments but are happy to devastate it for everyone else.

Reactions: RhombusHatesYou

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Doing 5 over isn't speeding...
It's the literal definition of speeding, it's just that cop equipment isn't generally precise enough to bother trying to give you a ticket
That's because you do not actually have to take you foot off the pedals. Hell, you don't actually want to lose power most of the time, the important thing is to not lock your wheels.
CLICK ON THOSE FUCKING LINKS BEFORE YOU PRETEND YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY

Or just fully read the one line on the auto trader link even. The main reason you tend to get the responses you do is that you swagger in being arrogantly, extremely wrong.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
It is. 5 over in a 30 significantly increases the chance of a death when a pedestrian is hit (https://www.roadwise.co.uk/using-the-road/speeding/the-chance-of-a-pedestrian-surviving). Main extract for the hard of clicking:

If you hit a pedestrian:

• at 40 mph there is a 90 percent chance they will be killed.
  • at 35 mph there is a 50 percent chance they will be killed.
  • at 30 mph there is a 20 percent chance they will be killed.
  • at 20 mph there is a 2.5 percent chance they will be killed.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
You're not gonna get away with that shit when you get into Michigan. Especially if you're in places like Redford, Dearborn, or Lansing. Have fun arguing with the cops on that one. They will charge you extra, and expect you to take an online driver's test., after studying the online course.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
It sort of already is the default - money buys better views, surroundings, water treatment.
Weird how the rich seem to love nature for their own home environments but are happy to devastate it for everyone else.
It's the whole reason 'Teals' exist - Conservatives who're afraid their properties are going to fall into the ocean or constantly catch on fire.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
If you’re ever driving in Australia, I would advise not to use that line of argument with the Police, especially if you drive through an active school zone.
Breathalyser, drug test and roadside defect check ahoy!

Also, don't argue that your speedometer is a bit dodgy unless you like those nice yellow defect stickers.

Reactions: Gordon_4

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
The jet stream has destabilised every year previously?
It is completely normal to regularly experience once in a lifetime weather events. There are so many metrics you can measure by to consider the extremes: hottest day, coldest night, windiest storm, highest flood, deepest snow, longest drought... it's not a contradiction to experience a once-in-a-lifetime weather event every year when there are so many metrics to judge that by, often being compared only within seasons or even months, and being measured locally all over the world.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
It is completely normal to regularly experience once in a lifetime weather events. There are so many metrics you can measure by to consider the extremes: hottest day, coldest night, windiest storm, highest flood, deepest snow, longest drought... it's not a contradiction to experience a once-in-a-lifetime weather event every year when there are so many metrics to judge that by, often being compared only within seasons or even months, and being measured locally all over the world.
"These once-in-a-lifetime things happen all the time, therefor it must be okay. Yes, we keep breaking these records annually, but that's only because we measure stuff. If we just stopped measuring climate, there would be no problem."

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
It's the literal definition of speeding, it's just that cop equipment isn't generally precise enough to bother trying to give you a ticket
He's wrong in the sense that "speeding" is a legal term that means anything above the posted limit, but he's not wrong in that people thinking "speeding" means driving recklessly fast.
I can technicallly be speeding but still be driving at an appropriate speed for the conditions.