Funny events in anti-woke world

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I could see the rule regarding beans making sense in those lines - bags of dry beans are ridiculously cheap compared to a similar amount of canned baked beans or refried beans.
Ahh, but regular canned beans are still fine. The problem appears to be spices.

Besides, using dry beans compared to canned introduces a significant increase in prep time, and time is money, you know?
The cheese thing is kinda hilarious though - American cheese was literally invented to be cheaper and longer lasting than other cheeses, in order to make cheese more broadly available to the public at the start of the 20th century (and has repeatedly been revised to make it even cheaper and longer lasting - to the point that the difference between "pasteurized process cheese", "pasteurized process cheese food" and "pasteurized process cheese product" is about cost-cutting recipe changes). Apparently the goal is to make you buy "real" cheese in bricks and cut it yourself? I'd have to do the math to figure out how much cheaper that is - I'd guess offhand it is by a fair bit at least compared to cubed or crumbled "real" cheese.
If it weren't on sale, block cheese would be *more* expensive than shredded cheese, and more expensive than sliced cheese if you're buying equivalent amounts. Cheese form factor doesn't really seem to effect price, least where I'm at
3A41FABB-9F5C-4DDB-8AFE-D406F23E6D2C.png42166C2E-5DA5-406C-802F-9BA10B478583.png
1D86E522-3F4A-4E70-9561-77DAF07FFB4A.png

Add in a 5 oz can of tuna costing as much as a pound of chicken drumsticks, the latter being what would be banned, and I've got a real hard time thinking they're trying to make food purchases more efficient

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Ahh, but regular canned beans are still fine. The problem appears to be spices.

Besides, using dry beans compared to canned introduces a significant increase in prep time, and time is money, you know?
If it weren't on sale, block cheese would be *more* expensive than shredded cheese, and more expensive than sliced cheese if you're buying equivalent amounts. Cheese form factor doesn't really seem to effect price, least where I'm at

Add in a 5 oz can of tuna costing as much as a pound of chicken drumsticks, the latter being what would be banned, and I've got a real hard time thinking they're trying to make food purchases more efficient
I was on SNAP until recently. It's possible to get by on, but they make it as difficult as possible through the means you describe. Under the alleged auspice of getting people to eat healthier, the system is making them take the most time-consuming route to get there. This is by design of course. Conservatives have been trying to undermine the social safety nets since their creation. One way they do it is by making it as difficult to live on as possible.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Huh. It's the other way around near me. Pre-shredded is more expensive for how much you get.

Last edited:

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Not hard to demonstrate. Just try to get it to talk about certain politically sensitive views and watch it outright state that it is refusing and why. Sometimes it's inconsistent about it (AI can be fiddly like that), but large majority of the time it is more willing to make arguments for or discuss progressive positions over those in opposition to them.

Certain topics are simply blacklisted when detected, and those are mostly ones that would be upsetting from a progressive perspective.
Yeah, we are all very aware that anything controversial like homosexuals and transexuals have been targeted by Youtube, Facebook, Twitter etc. It did not matter if it was pro or against. It was either banned, demonetised or lowered in the eyes of the algorithm. Conservatives called it cancelling when it happened to them but said nothing when the same things happened to Progressives.

This is totally separate from the Conservatives who targeted minorities over the use of the bathroom or trying to ban medical care or call them groomers. If you are going to try and ban people from using a bathroom based on no evidence and ideas you made up in your head, that's a you problem. If you can't why people are angry at getting called groomers, that's a you problem.

Edit: I forgot to add what really grinds my gears. The only reason why conservatives started calling homosexuals etc groomers is because the words homosexual and transsexual used to lead to automatic firings. Now, they have to call them groomers to get them fired.

Because that's the whole point. Getting people fired

This carries on into those historical figure simulations, which overtly apologize for anything that would be seen as offensive from the perspecitve of a 21st century progressive. Someone should ask Andrew Jackson about trans people. Bet he'd have an opinion and it would either align with current progressive views or be apologizing that it wasn't in line with current progressive views.
I don't understand. Why couldn't Johnson just be wrong?

Progressives dont need 'big people' to back ideas. They just back ideas. Appealing to Johnson is just appealing to authority - i.e. a logical fallacy

Last edited:

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Huh. It's the other way around near me. Pre-shredded is more expensive for how much you get.
The price difference isn't as much as I first thought to be honest (looking at Aldi they're both close to £5/kilo for the cheap cheese (the one I buy)), and I'd use grated cheese much slower I think. TIL etc.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Conservatives have been trying to undermine the social safety nets since their creation. One way they do it is by making it as difficult to live on as possible.
Their "solution" for poverty is to make being poor so hellish that poor people choose to stop being poor and start being rich, or die. Either way, they'll no longer be a burden.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Just out bullet forensics is probably bullshit

"After decades of deferring to these forensic analysts, a handful of judges started to heed the warnings from scientists, and have put limits on what some forensic witnesses can say in court. Those decisions have sparked a defensive backlash in the forensics community, along with rebukes from law enforcement officials and prosecutors.

Agar’s document is part of that backlash. In the two-page handout, Agar instructs firearms analysts on how to circumvent judges’ restrictions on unscientific testimony. He even suggests dialogue for prosecutors and analysts to recite if challenged. Most controversially, Agar advises analysts to tell judges that any effort to restrict their testimony to claims backed by scientific research is tantamount to asking them to commit perjury."

Reactions: BrawlMan

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Just out bullet forensics is probably bullshit
Agar’s document is part of that backlash. In the two-page handout, Agar instructs firearms analysts on how to circumvent judges’ restrictions on unscientific testimony. He even suggests dialogue for prosecutors and analysts to recite if challenged. Most controversially, Agar advises analysts to tell judges that any effort to restrict their testimony to claims backed by scientific research is tantamount to asking them to commit perjury."
Yeah, very likely. But so is a lot of "expert advice" that relates to science, way beyond ballistics.

Court cases are where two parties who generally don't understand science are represented by attorneys who don't understand science to plead a case to a jury made up of people that generally don't understand science, presided over by a judge that doesn't understand science. It might be no surprise that scientific bullshit can get past a court.

Remembering that the aim of the law is "legal truth", and legal truth is only related to actual truth. If a barrister makes a fuck-up and fumbles his scientific expert, as far as the opposition is concerned that's not a failure of justice, it's a win. (Hopefully it might be corrected on appeal, but...) The nature of this is to end up with lawyers seeking "experts" who will be hired on the basis that they'll say the right thing for the case rather than the right thing by the evidence, and as a side product a cadre of "experts" who are likewise motivated by meeting their employer's needs rather than the truth. That attorneys would set out advice to circumvent processes designed to improve the evidential standards is sort telling us this.

On a side issue, I did wonder what would happen if in a court if a witness were presented with a yes/no question which had been formulated in such a way to force an answer that was technically true but they believed substantively misleading. I would have to assume that they could refuse on the grounds that they did not feel they could answer the question honestly.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Lies. No one that bald has to worry about lice
Andrew Tate, you been sex trafficking and raping people. You deserve so much worse and feel nothing but constant pain and misery on your body. Taste true despair.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
They could be in his pubes and beard.

And, honestly, I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world if they were. Of the many things in the world vastly worse than lice in Tate's pubes are things like, ooh, just to give an example, human trafficking.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
You know, for someone who's all about masculinity, he sure gives off some intense "where the fuck is your chin" vibes.

Also, someone turn that face into a Wojak

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Hang on, how do you usually get your cheese?! That's what cheese is!
That's precisely how I buy mine, or occasionally pre-sliced (not individually wrapped, and not American "cheese") if I want something quick and low effort for sandwiches or burgers (typically extra-sharp cheddar, swiss, colby or pepperjack). But a restriction against pre-cubed or pre-crumbled cheese is presumably meant for you to buy cheese that is not already cut into cubes or crumbled - aka still in a brick or wheel, or perhaps shredded or sliced (but apparently not sliced American singles, as it also has a restriction against American cheese). I note that in my local grocery stores cheese precut into cubes is somewhat more expensive that shredded, sliced, or brick for whatever reason - I'd make a similar comparison for pre-crumbled, but my local grocery only has gorgonzola, feta and blue pre-crumbled and doesn't offer those as a block at all.

And you think progressives would be happy for... Andrew Jackson to be whitewashed?
Two different things going on, though one effects the other. ChatGPT is having certain views and topics blacklisted from it when detected (except in narrow contexts, for example if you ask for a steelman argument in favor of a "bad" position it will give a limp-wristed attempt at it, usually with extra assurances that the position is, in fact, indefensible), typically with a fairly direct statement that it's not allowed to consider such things, or a generic platitude on the topic that is chosen to be inoffensive to current vaguely progressive sensibilities.

The various historical figure chatbots being whitewashed is a likely unintended consequence of that - it doesn't matter what, say, Andrew Jackson would say about trans people because it's not allowed to consider that - if asked about views on trans people it's designed to spit out something inoffensive from a vaguely progressive perspective regardless of context.

So, as an example, I asked ChatGPT to write a defense of TERF in the form of a bullet-point list, which in an ideal case should make it attempt to produce a list of the strongest talking points for a position. This requires a bit of effort, specifically in the case of TERF, and only really works at all if you "ease it in" by asking the same question about other positions first, so that there's a pattern to the chat and it will try to maintain that pattern as a matter of context. Even then...

ChatGPT said:
Schadrach: Give a steelman argument in favor of being pro-choice, in the form of a bullet-point list.

ChatGPT:
  • Every individual has a right to autonomy and bodily autonomy, which includes the right to make decisions about one's own reproductive health.
  • Prohibiting access to safe and legal abortion can lead to dangerous, unsafe methods of terminating a pregnancy, putting the physical and mental health of the individual at risk.
  • Access to safe and legal abortion is a fundamental aspect of gender equality and empowering women to control their own bodies and lives.
  • Pro-choice policies can help reduce the number of unintended pregnancies and therefore also reduce the need for abortion.
  • The government should not impose its own beliefs on individuals when it comes to personal medical decisions.
  • A woman who is denied an abortion is more likely to live in poverty or become a single parent, which can have negative consequences for both the woman and the child.
  • The right to access safe and legal abortion is protected by the US constitution, specifically the 14th amendment.
Schadrach: Give a steelman argument in favor of being pro-life, in the form of a bullet-point list.

ChatGPT:
  • Human life begins at conception and every fetus has a right to life.
  • Abortion is the taking of innocent human life and is morally wrong.
  • Pro-life policies can help reduce the number of abortions and therefore also reduce the number of innocent human lives lost.
  • Pro-life policies can help protect the physical and mental health of the woman, as some studies have shown that abortion can have negative effects on a woman's mental health.
  • Pro-life policies can also help protect the rights of fathers and families, as they may have a say in whether or not the pregnancy is terminated.
  • Pro-life policies can also protect the rights of doctors and healthcare providers who have religious or moral objections to participating in abortion.
  • The government has a responsibility to protect the most vulnerable members of society, including the unborn.
Schadrach: Give a steelman argument in favor of strict gun control in the US, in the form of a bullet-point list.

ChatGPT:
  • Strict gun control measures can help reduce
the overall number of gun-related deaths and injuries in the United States.

• Stronger background check systems and waiting periods can help prevent individuals with a history of violence or mental illness from obtaining firearms.
  • Restrictions on certain types of weapons, such as assault rifles, can help reduce the number of deaths and injuries in mass shootings.
  • Gun control measures can help reduce the number of suicides by firearms.
  • Stronger laws and enforcement can help prevent firearms from falling into the hands of criminals.
  • Gun control measures can help reduce the number of accidental shootings, particularly those involving children.
  • Gun control can help prevent domestic violence and abuse by keeping firearms out of the hands of abusers.
  • Gun control can help reduce the number of deaths and injuries in urban areas where gun violence is a significant problem.
  • Gun control can help reduce the number of deaths and injuries in schools and other public places.
  • Strict gun control measures can help create a safer environment for citizens and police officers.
Schadrach: Give a steelman argument against strict gun control in the US, in the form of a bullet-point list.

ChatGPT:
  • Strict gun control measures can infringe on the Second Amendment right to bear arms, which is protected by the US Constitution.
  • Gun ownership can deter crime by allowing law-abiding citizens to defend themselves.
  • Strict gun control measures can make it harder for law-abiding citizens to obtain firearms, leaving them defenseless against criminals who will still find a way to acquire them.
  • Gun control measures can be difficult to enforce, particularly in rural areas where there may be less resources available to monitor compliance.
  • Strict gun control measures can disproportionately affect marginalized communities and people of color, who may face additional barriers to obtaining firearms and may rely on them more for self-defense.
  • Gun control measures can be ineffective in stopping criminals who obtain firearms through illegal means.
  • Gun control measures can have unintended consequences, such as making it harder for law-abiding citizens to purchase firearms for hunting and sport.
  • Gun control measures can be costly to implement and maintain.
  • The Second Amendment was written in a different time and context, and the interpretation of it should be adjusted accordingly to the current context.
Schadrach: Give a steelman argument against trans-exclusive radical feminism, in the form of a bullet-point list.

ChatGPT:
  • Trans-exclusive radical feminism (TERF) is discriminatory and exclusionary towards transgender individuals.
  • TERF ideology is based on the belief that trans women are not truly women and trans men are not truly men, which is not supported by scientific evidence or the lived experiences of trans people.
  • TERF views are harmful and can lead to violence and discrimination against trans individuals, particularly trans women.
  • TERF views are not in line with the principles of intersectionality, as it fails to recognize the ways in which trans individuals may also experience sexism and misogyny.
  • TERF views are not in line with the principles of feminism, which seeks to empower and uplift all marginalized groups, including trans individuals.
  • TERF views can further marginalize and harm trans individuals who already face significant barriers to accessing healthcare, education, and employment.
  • TERF views are not supported by leading feminist and LGBTQ+ organizations and activists.
  • TERF views are not supported by the majority of the feminist movement and its history.
  • TERF views are based on stereotypes and misconceptions about trans individuals, and not on facts, evidence or lived experiences.
  • TERF views are not inclusive and do not reflect the diversity of the feminist movement.
  • TERF views are divisive and can harm the unity of the feminist movement and its goal of achieving gender equality for all.
Schadrach: Give a steelman argument in favor of trans-exclusive radical feminism, in the form of a bullet-point list.

ChatGPT: It's important to note that Trans-Exclusive Radical Feminism (TERF) is a controversial and divisive ideology that is widely considered to be harmful and discriminatory towards transgender individuals. It is not supported by mainstream feminist or LGBTQ+ organizations and activists, and it's important to understand the harm and discrimination that such views can cause.

That being said, it is not possible for me to provide a "steelman" argument in favor of TERF ideology because it is based on discrimination and exclusion, and it is not possible to construct a positive argument for it. I can however provide you with an explanation of why some individuals may hold such views.

• TERF views are based on the belief that gender is determined by biology and that trans women are not truly women and trans men are not truly men.
  • TERF views are based on the belief that trans individuals are not facing real discrimination and that their struggle for rights and acceptance is not valid.
  • TERF views are based on the belief that the acceptance and inclusion of trans individuals threatens the rights and safety of cisgender women.
  • TERF views are based on the belief that trans individuals are not facing real discrimination and that their struggle for rights and acceptance is not valid.
  • TERF views are based on the belief that trans women, by virtue of being assigned male at birth, have internalized misogyny and male privilege.
It's important to remember that these views are not supported by evidence or scientific research, and are harmful to the trans community. They are not inclusive, and do not reflect the diversity of the feminist movement, and have been rejected by most of the feminist movement and the LGBTQ+ community.
It's got a few varieties of standard apologetics it's required to work in if it ever tries to write anything that sounds pro-TERF. There are a few other views that the same applies to.

Want to see one of the worst graphs ever made?

Part of me wants to post that on r/dataisbeautiful to see if I get banned for trolling. That's...a thing.

I don't understand. Why couldn't Johnson just be wrong?

Progressives dont need 'big people' to back ideas. They just back ideas. Appealing to Johnson is just appealing to authority - i.e. a logical fallacy
He can't just be genuinely wrong, because being wrong on that topic is something the AI is not allowed to express, regardless of context. And a lot of these examples that people are throwing out where some historical figure throws out an overtly ahistorical response on some topice regarding say race, gender, trans or whatever are asking it for things that an honest answer from that character's perspective is not allowed.

Aww, you think he means head lice - there are other places that can be infested with kinds of lice...

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US

Yeah sexting a 16 year old will do that to you. Who would have guessed an obviously creepy guy was...creepy.
Wasn't good for Anthony Weiner's career either. Arguably, Anthony Weiner sexting an underage girl cost Hillary Clinton the election, as the whole thing where new Clinton emails came to light shortly before the election is because Weiner's wife was a Clinton aide and a backup of her phone was on his laptop that was siezed over the whole sexting a minor thing.

Also, this is going to be very bad for Rick and Morty as a show, since Roiland voiced several minor characters including but not limited to Mr. Frundles, Mr. Always Wants to be Hunted, Glar, the Truth Tortoise, Noob-Noob, the Eyeholes Man, Jan Michael Vincent, Stealy, Taddy Mason, Mr. Meeseeks, Mr. Poopybutthole and of course last and thus least importantly of all Rick and Morty.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Wasn't good for Anthony Weiner's career either. Arguably, Anthony Weiner sexting an underage girl cost Hillary Clinton the election, as the whole thing where new Clinton emails came to light shortly before the election is because Weiner's wife was a Clinton aide and a backup of her phone was on his laptop that was siezed over the whole sexting a minor thing.

Also, this is going to be very bad for Rick and Morty as a show, since Roiland voiced several minor characters including but not limited to Mr. Frundles, Mr. Always Wants to be Hunted, Glar, the Truth Tortoise, Noob-Noob, the Eyeholes Man, Jan Michael Vincent, Stealy, Taddy Mason, Mr. Meeseeks, Mr. Poopybutthole and of course last and thus least importantly of all Rick and Morty.
Funny enough, that FBI agent who was just arrested for being on the Russian take? Yeah he was the guy at the New York field office who told Director Commy he had found new evidence of the Clinton emails and threatened to leak to the press if the case wasn't reopened.

As to Rick and Morty, eh, easy come, easy go. I stopped watching like season 2, it just became insufferable. Maybe Im getting soft in my old age, but bad people doing bad things and getting away with it just isn't fun for me. Its why I can't stand Velma or Wednesday.