Funny Events of the "Woke" world

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I actually go through the marketing funnel backwards because that's the safest way to make sure you don't get stuck. Once you're through that repeat purchase stage they can't trick you any more. Not that I'm trickable, Uri Geller programmed me for semiotic invincibility. I don't even know what Coke is mate.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Just putting this out there, but my personal experience has been that the people who boast the loudest about how they're impossible to influence, manipulate or fool are in fact the easiest targets specifically because they think they're bulletproof.
I'm particularly dubious when people claim they're immune to advertising and then believe any old trash they see on a YouTube video.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I work IT, we go to every department. We were installing badge readers (so nurses/doctors can sign into PCs with their badges) during that pandemic that had to go in every single patient room and nurse station in every department. Our normal projects are refreshing old computers, which are in every single department as well. Nope, not in some costly private hospital.
IT. So, not in any patient care or direct service role. And you believe you fully understand the pressures the hospital is under because you... sometimes have to make visits to the wards and other departments.

Is there no level of Dunning-Kruger you can't reach?

Funny how my actual results for anything safety related is top tier. You can't even explain how wearing gloves will slow covid spread in any way. I don't do things that don't make sense to do.
Firstly: I didn't say wearing gloves would stop covid spreading meaningfully. We know fomite transmission is insignificant. What I said is that there are OTHER reasons to wear gloves in a fucking hospital.

Secondly: that was predicated on the assumption that you actually had a hospital job that was relevant to patient care. I made the silly assumption that you wouldn't be arrogantly claiming direct insight and knowledge of the patient care situation if you didn't even work in a relevant area. My mistake!

Reactions: Avnger

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal

And again, you demonstrate that you don't have the slightest clue what you're talking about and are still strawmanning the marketing industry as trying to trick you into making impulse buys that you wouldn't otherwise consider. Seriously Phoenix, speaking as an actual professional in this field, just stop, because your self-assured ignorance is so frustrating as to almost be painful.
Sure thing... Whatever you believe. I guess that Food Theory episode about grocery stores is all bullshit.

IT. So, not in any patient care or direct service role. And you believe you fully understand the pressures the hospital is under because you... sometimes have to make visits to the wards and other departments.

Is there no level of Dunning-Kruger you can't reach?

Firstly: I didn't say wearing gloves would stop covid spreading meaningfully. We know fomite transmission is insignificant. What I said is that there are OTHER reasons to wear gloves in a fucking hospital.

Secondly: that was predicated on the assumption that you actually had a hospital job that was relevant to patient care. I made the silly assumption that you wouldn't be arrogantly claiming direct insight and knowledge of the patient care situation if you didn't even work in a relevant area. My mistake!
Never said any of that. I said the only time the hospital actually changed was that first fall/winter of covid. Any time after that, getting access to patient rooms was the same as pre-covid. There's only a small handful of any covid rooms in departments since then. You still don't know what Dunning-Kruger is I see.

Every time I told the story, I said exactly what it pertained to, not my fault you didn't read the whole thing. You only have to wear gloves in the hospital for very very specific reasons. You don't even need gloves to walk around surgery or sterile processing departments. Why would an IT person need to wear gloves outside of going into a patient room that requires gloves? If you want an IT specific example of doing pointless safety procedures, wearing an anti-static wristband when working on a computer is completely pointless and no IT person actually does it but yet it's "standard" procedure. I don't do things that make no sense to do.

...dude if you sneeze on somebody they can get sick. Being outdoors doesn't make you magically immune to that.
OMFG, where is sneezing on people anywhere near to common place or anything to worry about? Yes, you can get sick outside if someone spits into a glass and you drink it. And that proves that outside is hazardous? Being outside does make you magically immune to the way you get sick 99.99999% of the time.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
OMFG, where is sneezing on people anywhere near to common place or anything to worry about? Yes, you can get sick outside if someone spits into a glass and you drink it. And that proves that outside is hazardous? Being outside does make you magically immune to the way you get sick 99.99999% of the time.
Pro-tip: If you don't want people to pick apart the stupid shit you say, stop saying stupid shit.

Reactions: Buyetyen

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Never said any of that. I said the only time the hospital actually changed was that first fall/winter of covid. Any time after that, getting access to patient rooms was the same as pre-covid. There's only a small handful of any covid rooms in departments since then.
And when you said you worked in hospitals and saw it first hand, I was foolish enough to think that you might have had relevant experience to talk about that.

Every time I told the story, I said exactly what it pertained to, not my fault you didn't read the whole thing. You only have to wear gloves in the hospital for very very specific reasons. You don't even need gloves to walk around surgery or sterile processing departments. Why would an IT person need to wear gloves outside of going into a patient room that requires gloves? If you want an IT specific example of doing pointless safety procedures, wearing an anti-static wristband when working on a computer is completely pointless and no IT person actually does it but yet it's "standard" procedure. I don't do things that make no sense to do.
An IT person wouldn't need to wear gloves. As I said: when you said you have first hand knowledge from working in hospitals, I took that to mean you had /relevant/ personal experience.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Ah, that reminds me of something I once read: "Let's compromise: you stop doing annoying things, and I'll stop complaining."
I wish I could stamp that onto the forehead* of some of my coworkers lol.

*backwards so they can read it in the mirror

Reactions: Dalisclock

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
And...? How is a deodorant ad about attracting chicks not pertain to the product? Why does anyone wear any kind of fragrance (deodorant, cologne, perfume) then? People would just wear stuff they really like the smell of then. M&Ms literally have nothing to do with women empowerment.
They wear deodorant so... they don't smell too much. (And deodorants aren't great at that. I.e. a tradie wearing deodorant will smell pretty quickly no matter what.)

You don't have to be trying to attract sexual partners to wear deodorant. I actually wear deodorant each day to work with a bunch of females. They too want me to wear deodorant so I generally don't smell (along with showering with soap). Because.... not smelling is great. It's not just necessary for an mating practiced

Marketing geniuses just equated not smelling as sexual attraction and then equated deodorants with not smelling when you need far more than just deodorant. They connected multiple things together to dilute truth. 99.99999% of the time deodorant will not be used in any sexual attractiveness situation
Because that's not deodorant purpose

Most people wear deodorant THEY like. You can see men and women spraying a bottle of deodorant and sniffing it in the aisle to see if THEY like it. This is normal. I don't know why anyone would wear deodorant they DON'T like. That is utterly ridiculous

Yes, M&M are not about empowering women. Just like deodorants are about attracting sexual partners. It's called advertising/capitalism. It is normal.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Sure thing... Whatever you believe. I guess that Food Theory episode about grocery stores is all bullshit.
...Oh, how silly of me. How on earth could I possibly believe that my relevant education and professional experience for this very field would make me any more informed about the intricacies, business objectives, efforts to further develop the brand, metrics and KPIs, and strategies of that industry than someone in IT who watched an episode of Food Theory?

*Eyeroll* Swallow your pride and grow up already.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I'm particularly dubious when people claim they're immune to advertising and then believe any old trash they see on a YouTube video.
"You see Youtube is the only unbiased media because *Cue 3 hours of handwaving and rambling about the MSM, including half a dozen youtube videos*"

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Pro-tip: If you don't want people to pick apart the stupid shit you say, stop saying stupid shit.
You know what's stupid? Pointing an exception that happens like 0.00001% of the time and acting like a general rule for something is dumb.

And when you said you worked in hospitals and saw it first hand, I was foolish enough to think that you might have had relevant experience to talk about that.

An IT person wouldn't need to wear gloves. As I said: when you said you have first hand knowledge from working in hospitals, I took that to mean you had /relevant/ personal experience.
Why would hospitals have to do something special for a covid variant when their departments are not getting overwhelmed with covid patients?

I've never not said all the pertinent details with any of my stories. I recall you said by not wearing gloves when taking in work-from-home laptops that I was helping spread covid. Then, I asked the obvious question of what does it matter if I have on gloves where I touched a laptop that has covid on it and walked somewhere and touched a counter or elevator button or whatever? If covid is on the gloves or my hands, what does it being on the gloves vs hands change at all?

They wear deodorant so... they don't smell too much. (And deodorants aren't great at that. I.e. a tradie wearing deodorant will smell pretty quickly no matter what.)

You don't have to be trying to attract sexual partners to wear deodorant. I actually wear deodorant each day to work with a bunch of females. They too want me to wear deodorant so I generally don't smell (along with showering with soap). Because.... not smelling is great. It's not just necessary for an mating practiced

Marketing geniuses just equated not smelling as sexual attraction and then equated deodorants with not smelling when you need far more than just deodorant. They connected multiple things together to dilute truth. 99.99999% of the time deodorant will not be used in any sexual attractiveness situation
Because that's not deodorant purpose

Most people wear deodorant THEY like. You can see men and women spraying a bottle of deodorant and sniffing it in the aisle to see if THEY like it. This is normal. I don't know why anyone would wear deodorant they DON'T like. That is utterly ridiculous

Yes, M&M are not about empowering women. Just like deodorants are about attracting sexual partners. It's called advertising/capitalism. It is normal.
The wikipedia literally says artificial fragrance increases sexual appeal. People wear deodorant smells they think others will like or else people would smell like coffee or something. Same reason why people just don't wear the most comfortable clothes because it's just not for them.

...Oh, how silly of me. How on earth could I possibly believe that my relevant education and professional experience for this very field would make me any more informed about the intricacies, business objectives, efforts to further develop the brand, metrics and KPIs, and strategies of that industry than someone in IT who watched an episode of Food Theory?

*Eyeroll* Swallow your pride and grow up already.
And you think you know me from just a few posts about something. When I got condo insurance last year online, the agent called me asking if 20K was a mistake for my belongings (apparently that's super low) and I'm like I probably have like 10K worth of stuff, probably more when adding up every shirt and smaller things like that (thus, why I put it at 20K). I literally only buy stuff I need or really really really want.

He said without irony.
You guys really don't know what it actually means...

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
"You see Youtube is the only unbiased media because *Cue 3 hours of handwaving and rambling about the MSM, including half a dozen youtube videos*"
Why is Youtube some inherent bad way to learn about something? 90% of everything is crap, whether it's Youtube or books, it's about one's ability to shift through the crap regardless of the medium.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Why is Youtube some inherent bad way to learn about something? 90% of everything is crap, whether it's Youtube or books, it's about one's ability to shift through the crap regardless of the medium.
Apart from self-pub ebooks, the costs to entry for producing books are quite high, which broadly means books are of a higher standard than YouTube videos. There's also lots of people and companies involved in the production of a book, and the reputational consequences of producing shit are higher (a good author is unlikely to go with a publisher known for producing shit books if they have an alternative, and the reputation and fame of your publisher affects how many books you will sell). Unfairly or not, 'shit' is the standard people are already expecting from YouTube on account of any moron being able to upload a video essay about their toilet (the noun).

That's not to say there aren't shit books, but there are many more shit YouTube videos.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
And you think you know me from just a few posts about something. When I got condo insurance last year online, the agent called me asking if 20K was a mistake for my belongings (apparently that's super low) and I'm like I probably have like 10K worth of stuff, probably more when adding up every shirt and smaller things like that (thus, why I put it at 20K). I literally only buy stuff I need or really really really want.
Irrelevant. I don't particularly care about your overall spending habits beyond whether it makes you an early or late adopter, or even a good lead at all. What I care about is you being a brazenly pretentious know-nothing know-it-all, who is arrogantly trying to tout his ignorant presumptions - presumptions that make it clear as day that he never studied the topic - as if it were expertise.

Let me put it to you this way: Imagine I was a bumpkin who insisted to you that IT was a scam because I [claimed to have] never gone to an IT desk in my life, and instead simply talked to Technical Support at my office whenever my work computer acted up, and moreover that the very idea of computer viruses was absurd because viruses only infected living things. Odds are good that as someone who works in that field, that kind of ignorance would be enormously frustrating to you.

So, you explain that Technical Support is IT, that it encompass a variety of technical issues outside of computer viruses, and that computer viruses had absolutely no relation to the kind of viruses that carried diseases. Now imagine that rather than doing some research and taking a good hard look at my presumptions, I double down and claim that I wouldn't be caught dead lending my computer to a racket like that, that Tech Support was obviously different because they removed rogue programs, not computer viruses, and cite...let's say this article as demonstrating that computer viruses were not functionally different than biological viruses because otherwise how could a computer virus cross into the biological realm?

Now I want you to think long and hard about how frustratingly and stubbornly ignorant hypothetical me is being in that exchange. And I want you to understand that you are being every bit as ignorant about Marketing as hypothetical me was about IT. It's frustrating not because I think I know your spending habits. It's frustrating because you're spouting nonsense in what is by all appearances a vain effort to talk yourself up. Moreover, it's frustrating because you stubbornly refuse to rectify that problem when people point out the deficiencies in your knowledge, with the evident thrust being that you believe your instincts and perceived intuition are superior to actually learning and applying the subject.

Reactions: Avnger and Silvanus

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Moreover, it's frustrating because you stubbornly refuse to rectify that problem when people point out the deficiencies in your knowledge, with the evident thrust being that you believe your instincts and perceived intuition are superior to actually learning and applying the subject.
In "Blink" Malcolm Gladwell makes the case that intuition comes from internalizing ideas, lessons and connections. And of course, garbage in, garbage out. Shoddy pop media driven education will never hold a candle to hard-won expertise and experience. If you want to trust your instincts, you have to feed them regularly with learning.