Funny Events of the "Woke" world

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
I'm in the other half of the study because I would always think I didn't do as well as I did on tests, especially open answer tests. Everyone around me would be writing a fucking book and I just answered with a sentence or two. I didn't realize others would just were just throwing shit at the wall and hoping some of it stuck.
That's a yes. Let's give it 1 more chance. Do you believe you are immune to the phenomenon of overestimating your own competence?

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
That's a yes. Let's give it 1 more chance. Do you believe you are immune to the phenomenon of overestimating your own competence?
How is that a yes?!?! I literally answered your question.

That was your fucking article, dumbass. What is "completely confirmed" in your world, and does that apply to literally any infection anywhere?
You do realize when they trace stuff back like that, it's not a 100% right? Just because 2 people were at an outdoor event, that doesn't mean the transmission took place outdoors. There hasn't been a 100% confirmed case of outdoor transmission of covid yet. I don't get why you're trying to argue outdoor transmission is anything to be worried about.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
How is that a yes?!?! I literally answered your question.
Do you believe yourself immune to the phenomenon of overestimating your own competence? Last time I'm going to ask, and again, anything that is not an unambiguous no will be taken as a yes.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
That is the effect of the study when you look at EVERYONE studied.
Uh-huh but you weren't asked to describe anything to do with the study. You were simply asked to describe Dunning-Kruger. You gave an incorrect definition.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
You do realize when they trace stuff back like that, it's not a 100% right? Just because 2 people were at an outdoor event, that doesn't mean the transmission took place outdoors. There hasn't been a 100% confirmed case of outdoor transmission of covid yet. I don't get why you're trying to argue outdoor transmission is anything to be worried about.
Hey man, just because two people were at an indoor event that doesn't mean the transmission took place indoors. There hasn't been a 100% confirmed case of indoor transmission of covid yet.[/sarcasm]

I'm trying to "argue" that outdoor transmission of respiratory viruses is not "impossible", the absurd claim you came up with out of nowhere that you pretended was "basic science"

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Hey man, just because two people were at an indoor event that doesn't mean the transmission took place indoors. There hasn't been a 100% confirmed case of indoor transmission of covid yet.[/sarcasm]

I'm trying to "argue" that outdoor transmission of respiratory viruses is not "impossible", the absurd claim you came up with out of nowhere that you pretended was "basic science"
I don't know how 'less likely' became 'impossible'. They aren't the same thing.

Things generally happen in spectrums, not binary. It's true for racism, gender, economic systems, future predictions, social movements and especially science.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I don't know how 'less likely' became 'impossible'. They aren't the same thing.

Things generally happen in spectrums, not binary. It's true for racism, gender, economic systems, future predictions, social movements and especially science.
Lord only knows, honestly. Like, we started with " respiratory viruses don't spread outside 'cause basic science" went to " doesn't spread 99.99999% of the time" to "here's an articale that says one in a thousand but it doesn't count even though I brought it up because who can say if tracing is 100% effective or not" and it's like the goalposts are motorized

XsjadoBlaydette

Piss-Drinking Nazi Wine-Mums
May 26, 2022
Country
Wales
Why are some centre-right libs now talking like qanon Q posts? Plz cease such foolishness. Tho not ruling out an aimless attempt at psy-op.

Screenshot_20230201-152503.png

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Do you believe yourself immune to the phenomenon of overestimating your own competence? Last time I'm going to ask, and again, anything that is not an unambiguous no will be taken as a yes.
I don't think anyone can 100% accurately estimate their own competence in anything (other than super super simple things) nor are there tests that will 100% accurately evaluate your skill/knowledge in something either. Sometimes you'll be off, over or under, and sometimes the test will be off, over or under, and sometimes both.

Uh-huh but you weren't asked to describe anything to do with the study. You were simply asked to describe Dunning-Kruger. You gave an incorrect definition.
The whole study is the Dunning-Kruger effect... people in general believe themselves to be average. Just about everyone here will give the incorrect definition to ludonarrative dissonance as well.

The Dunning-Kruger effect effect occurs when a person's lack of knowledge and skills in a certain area cause them to overestimate their own competence. By contrast, this effect also causes those who excel in a given area to think the task is simple for everyone, and underestimate their relative abilities as well.

Big Darrell Brooks energy.
Uhh... This was the question I was asked and I answered it perfectly fine...
Straight up, do you believe yourself immune to the Dunning-Kruger effect? Any answer that is not an unambiguous no will be taken as a yes.
---

No one is trying to say you can't get covid or a cold outdoors, just that's it so highly unlikely, it's not something you should be concerned about. Wearing mask outside is dumb, closing beaches is dumb, closing parks is dumb, avoiding people that you walk by is dumb, etc.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
The whole study is the Dunning-Kruger effect... people in general believe themselves to be average. Just about everyone here will give the incorrect definition to ludonarrative dissonance as well.

The Dunning-Kruger effect effect occurs when a person's lack of knowledge and skills in a certain area cause them to overestimate their own competence. By contrast, this effect also causes those who excel in a given area to think the task is simple for everyone, and underestimate their relative abilities as well.
That's quite clearly not the same thing as "people in general believing they're average".

For instance: someone in the lowest quartile for a given skill/field considering themself to be in the highest quartile is exhibiting Dunning-Kruger, but not considering themself average. An averaging of self-reportage in aggregate may sometimes be a result of it, but it is not necessary or definitive or even very relevant.

Reactions: Buyetyen

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
I don't think anyone can 100% accurately estimate their own competence in anything (other than super super simple things) nor are there tests that will 100% accurately evaluate your skill/knowledge in something either. Sometimes you'll be off, over or under, and sometimes the test will be off, over or under, and sometimes both.
I'm not hearing a yes or a no, so I'm going with yes. Jesus, your ego won't permit even the simplest answers. All you had to say was, "No, I don't believe I'm immune to overestimating my own competence." And you fucking couldn't.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
No one is trying to say you can't get covid or a cold outdoors, just that's it so highly unlikely, it's not something you should be concerned about. Wearing mask outside is dumb, closing beaches is dumb, closing parks is dumb, avoiding people that you walk by is dumb, etc.
You literally said that is was basic science that you can't spread respiratory viruses outside, "no one" is you

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
That's quite clearly not the same thing as "people in general believing they're average".

For instance: someone in the lowest quartile for a given skill/field considering themself to be in the highest quartile is exhibiting Dunning-Kruger, but not considering themself average. An averaging of self-reportage in aggregate may sometimes be a result of it, but it is not necessary or definitive or even very relevant.
Again, that's not what Dunning-Kruger study showed, most people put themselves around 60% for how well they thought they did regardless if they were low or high scoring in actuality.

Also this (includes the original data chart as well):

I'm not hearing a yes or a no, so I'm going with yes. Jesus, your ego won't permit even the simplest answers. All you had to say was, "No, I don't believe I'm immune to overestimating my own competence." And you fucking couldn't.
I literally just did and also the you guys demonstrate you just have heard the very basic tagline of what Dunning-Kruger actually is.

You literally said that is was basic science that you can't spread respiratory viruses outside, "no one" is you
In any meaningful manner. You think I actually tried to say it's literally impossible to spread a respiratory virus outside? Wearing a mask outside is akin to building a metal structure over your house because you're worried about a plane crashing into your house and guess what, both won't do anything.