What have you learned today?

Wintermute

Elite Member
Apr 25, 2020
Pindorama
Young people are using "old cameras" to give their photos that old timey vintage look. These "old cameras" are digital cameras like my Canon Powershot sx210is bought in 2010.

Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Young people are using "old cameras" to give their photos that old timey vintage look. These "old cameras" are digital cameras like my Canon Powershot sx210is bought in 2010.
I think the "Sepia" filter exists on most cell phone cameras. My kids love it. After all that work making 12 meg HD pics a thing.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
The T-34, the Russian main tank of WW2, has a serious number of flaws and was lost in massive numbers. Most of these were less design issues(though it wasn't a perfect design) but production and supply issues, where T-34's were produced in huge numbers but also at breakneck speed and to do that, a lot of time, corners were cut....like everywhere.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
The T-34, the Russian main tank of WW2, has a serious number of flaws and was lost in massive numbers. Most of these were less design issues(though it wasn't a perfect design) but production and supply issues, where T-34's were produced in huge numbers but also at breakneck speed and to do that, a lot of time, corners were cut....like everywhere.
A lot of WW2 stuff (and indeed, WW1 stuff) was like that. Though a lot of it (don't know if it was the case of the T-34) was due to several factories making the same stuff, and some are doing a better job than others, but people remember the bad ones, and distrust them all. Spanish small arms made for the French in WW1, for example.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
A lot of WW2 stuff (and indeed, WW1 stuff) was like that. Though a lot of it (don't know if it was the case of the T-34) was due to several factories making the same stuff, and some are doing a better job than others, but people remember the bad ones, and distrust them all. Spanish small arms made for the French in WW1, for example.
I know. I guess it's because some people like to treat the T-34 like it's a super tank that did everything well and under ideal conditions, yeah, it can do a lot of things well. It just wasn't produced or used under ideal conditions, during when it's flaws were exposed.

The USSR obviously made it work but not without a ton of problems and mechanical breakdowns.

And to be fair, the other premiere tanks of WW2 had problems as well. I just happened to learn the T-34 had a troubled history during "the great patriotic war"

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I know. I guess it's because some people like to treat the T-34 like it's a super tank that did everything well and under ideal conditions, yeah, it can do a lot of things well. It just wasn't produced or used under ideal conditions, during when it's flaws were exposed.
Ah, WW2 tanks fans can be weird, yeah. Mostly the fans of German tanks.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
In 1875 in Dublin, a fire at a warehouse were undiluted whiskey was left to age led to a flood of flaming whiskey that the local fire brigade stopped by making dams out of horse manure.

Nobody was injured as people were able to evacuate in time (apparently one of the affected buildings was hosting a wake, so people had to run away carrying the body), but the crowd started drinking the free whiskey, not knowing it was undiluted, and 13 people died and many injured due to alcohol poisoning.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I saw the same video about boxing a few weeks ago, quite informative for such a short one.

XsjadoBlaydette

Piss-Drinking Nazi Wine-Mums
May 26, 2022
Country
Wales
What if the film Speed was all drunk or distracted cockneys? And set in the 1950s? And based on a true story?

On Dec. 30, 1952, a London city bus found itself in a precarious position: driving over the Tower Bridge as it opened to allow passage of a boat below. Today, the story is popular in meme form:

All the details included in this popular meme are true, as they were recorded contemporaneously in news reports. That incident was covered in a Dec. 31, 1952 Daily Mail Article:

TOWER BRIDGE OPENED AS BUS WAS CROSSING: INQUIRY TODAY
AN INQUIRY was being held today into the opening of Tower Bridge as a bus was crossing it last night. The bridge opened as the bus was in the centre of the two sections. The driver carried on and the bus fell about three or four feet from one half of the bridge to the other. Of the 20 people on board. 13 were injured. Three were detained in hospital.
The main question people were asking today was "Why did it happen?" When the bridge is being opened, a warning is given by red traffic lights and the ringing of a handbell by a bridge operator. The bus driver, Albert Gunter … said that the traffic lights were green as he drove across the bridge. He did not see or hear any danger signal.
A City Police inspector said that the usual warning signals were given. The superintendent engineer of the bridge said, "The bus came unnoticed onto the bridge as it was just on the move. It had sufficient speed to bridge the gap, but the rear wheels must have fallen with quite a jolt."
A relief man was operating the bridge at the time. An official of the City of London Corporation committee who control Tower Bridge, said today, "The committee will have a report made to them on the incident and will consider whether any further steps should be taken."
That report appeared to have exonerated Gunter, who was hailed a hero in the press just a few months later. As reported in the Evening Telegraph in April 1953, Gunter was awarded both vacation time, money, and other gifts for his actions:

CITY GIFT TO HERO
WITHOUT pretending that he wants the same experience again, Driver Albert Gunter, of London Transport, is thankful for the benefits that have resulted from his presence of mind last December. He is the man whose No. 78 bus was caught on a rising arm of Tower Bridge. His prompt action saved nine lives; won him a £10 reward from his employers and £35 from the City Corporation, who run Tower Bridge.
Today Gunter tells me more good news. In June he and his family will take a week's free holiday at Bournemouth hotel — the first holiday for five years. His son and daughter, aged eight and 14, are invited to the Lord Mayor's children' party in November.
Because this event was recorded in multiple media reports at the time it happened, and because those media reports verify the details in popular memes about the incident, the claim is "True."
Tho gotta say, an invitation for your kids to "lord mayor's children' party" most definitely hits a different vibe in these modern times.