Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Apparently giants in mythology weren't necessarily HUGE people and a fair number of supposed "giants" were either people sized or don't have their size explicitly mentioned. What is consistent is that giants were strong(often very strong) and often monsterous and besital. Also their presence was generally assumed as "Well, someone moved these big ass rocks and must have been a giant" as opposed to having actual records or skeletons.

Though you can probably make a the case some of the "real" giants were the rare very tall person that kind of stood out amongst everyone else.

Also, someone pointed this out to me today.

In genesis 1: 27 (the first creation story, because Genesis 2 is different in notable ways to count as a 2nd):

So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.
The wording implies:
1.) Gods image is that of male and female aspects.
2.) They were created together, not Adam and then Eve.

I mean, also that Genesis 1 and Genesis 2 are actually different stories because enough details don't match up between them.

Last edited:
Reactions: gorfias and thestor

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Also their presence was generally assumed as "Well, someone moved these big ass rocks and must have been a giant" as opposed to having actual records or skeletons.
Yeah, though in these enlightened times we say it was aliens instead of giants making Stonehenge, fairies making barrow mounds and demons making the Pantheon.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Yeah, though in these enlightened times we say it was aliens instead of giants making Stonehenge, fairies making barrow mounds and demons making the Pantheon.
Cody from the alternate history hub went through the Ancient Aliens show on the history channel(though apparently a lot of it is repeated footage) and basically summed it up as "Religion for atheists". Anything that could be previously ascribed to the supernatural is instead done by aliens. You could swap out "God(s) did it" for "Aliens did it" you've got a pretty good idea how it works.

Last edited:
Reactions: gorfias

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Cody from the alternate history hub went through the Ancient Aliens show on the history channel(though apparently a lot of it is repeated footage) and basically summed it up as "Religion for atheists". Anything that could be previously ascribed to the supernatural is instead done by aliens. You could swap out "God(s) did it" for "Aliens did it" you've got a pretty good idea how it works.
I seem to remember Red Dwarf doing that as well in an early season, Lister is learning about the cat religion and Rimmer mocks it because he believes in aliens.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I seem to remember Red Dwarf doing that as well in an early season, Lister is learning about the cat religion and Rimmer mocks it because he believes in aliens.
Nice. I'd forgotten about that but then again I haven't watched RD in years. Every so often there's a new series but I'm kinda over it at this point. Those poor bastards are never gonna get home and the actors look like they're tired and here for the paycheck.

Reactions: gorfias

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Series 1 covers most of that. Weirdly tragic in a way because both sides get the worst end of it (not including the blind priest): the cat race killed each other in sectarian warfare and the ones who left confused Lister’s laundry list for a Star chart and ran into a sun. And Rimmer finds out the Alien ship he so coveted was, in his own words, a smegging garbage pod.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
A haunting look at Hitler’s Eagles Nest complex and surrounding areas; some of which has surprisingly been rebuilt/repurposed somewhat as a luxury tourist destination -

Also for something kinda gaming related, though I never knew actually existed let alone as a modern b&b -

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

FFS, let’s just never get our hopes up about their ever not being a chip shortage. How smart is it chasing the unicorn of “smart” everything when it’s only a matter of time anyways until it steps in a gopher hole.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
How smart is it chasing the unicorn of “smart” everything when it’s only a matter of time anyways until it steps in a gopher hole.
Eh, I'm still worried about software glitches, hacking and a lack of user understanding, I'm not comfortable enough with smart everything to be worried about it going away.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Eh, I'm still worried about software glitches, hacking and a lack of user understanding, I'm not comfortable enough with smart everything to be worried about it going away.

The main issue is our increasing over reliance on it as a whole. The further we go into the land of convenience means the worse it will hurt if when we’re snapped out of it by Murphy’s Law.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
The main issue is our increasing over reliance on it as a whole. The further we go into the land of convenience means the worse it will hurt if when we’re snapped out of it by Murphy’s Law.
Oh, yeah, should have added that to my list, that's a big'un.

lostinreality

May 20, 2021
Country
UK
Nerd alert, guys, but bear with me. Apparently, there is a second way to export tasks from Asana to Excel. All this time I would export a project as a CSV file, manually, like a caveman, blissfully unaware that there's a tool (of course there is, there's always a tool!) that can automate the process. So, I don't have to look for and remove the fields I don't need, check the text and whatnot. Nice.