Hogwarts Legacy - Whimsical Wizardry

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Apparently Giant spiders are among the most common enemies. Why though? For one thing they're as unimaginative as can be, and I'm pretty sure the books say that the only reason there are giant spiders in Britain is because Hagrid smuggled them in, and takes the risk of them gobbling up students for granted.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Apparently Giant spiders are among the most common enemies. Why though? For one thing they're as unimaginative as can be, and I'm pretty sure the books say that the only reason there are giant spiders in Britain is because Hagrid smuggled them in, and takes the risk of them gobbling up students for granted.

LegoDnD

Jan 10, 2023
Country
United States of America
Anybody who has watched or read Chamber of Secrets should know damn well that the forest is just lousy with the children of Hagrid's escaped pet. If J.K. ever explicitly said that it's not a sport to hunt them every single night, I'd consider that a worse contribution to wizarding lore than pooping in the streets. Just the fact that we only ever see them in that one installment screams flawed world-building to high heavens.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know, I don't know enough about the HP lore to know what the deep lore was meant to establish so I can't give you a reasoning. I also have never heard of HP being anti-Semitic only that it was somehow anti-trans solely because of Rowling's twitter exploits.

Again though, I think that a lot of that is projection. WW2 allegories are used in fantasy all the time and simply referencing the events does not mean there is some Nazi level secret plot by the people behind the project. I feel it's people projecting their hatred for Rowling upon the title for their own personal reason, not for anything that based on actual malice or intent by the developers behind the project.
What I really hoped would be clear at this point is that I don't really care about the developer's intent. If they're not malicious, they're incompetent, and there is a point where incompetence stops being funny or cute and just becomes disrespectful.

I don't think Rowling is anti-semitic in the sense that she hates Jewish people (although, again, she seems to be increasingly comfortable with people who hate all kinds of people) but when you reference the idea that there is a group of people out there who are secretly working together to control financial systems out of some collective loyalty and grievance against everyone else, you are referencing the real history of anti-semitism, because that's literally where that idea comes from. As a writer, this kind of entails a responsibility that, if you're going to do something like that, you have to be making a point.

And at the end of the day, the Harry Potter books don't have some overt Nazi agenda. They're far too boring for that. The awful truth is they're not really smart enough to say anything at all.

Rowling will present goblins as these absolutely single-minded little bastards whose only character trait is being greedy and conniving and resentful, then a few pages later she'll flirt with the idea that maybe goblins are like that because they're a discriminated underclass and maybe wizards shouldn't just assume goblins are their inferiors, and then she'll just drop it and it will never be resolved. Rowling clearly knows that better writers sometimes use social commentary, but to her this comes down to vaguely implying that multiple sides of an issue might exist and then proceeding to ignore the issue entirely and never mention it again.

If Rowling wanted to come down on the side that goblins are completely irredeemable monsters, she could have done so. That would actually have solved much of the issue, because if goblins are just evil monsters then they can't really serve as a stand-in for any group of people. They're generic fantasy monsters who have no capacity for redemption because they don't have souls. Basically, the way Rowling writes fat people. It's still wouldn't be wholly unproblematic, but it would certainly be more understandable.

Conversely, if Rowling wanted to come down on the side that goblins are people and that treating them unequally is unfair and similar to discrimination against Jewish people, you'd expect that to pay off. Like, maybe at the end of the series the Minister of Magic signs a law which makes goblins equal and that one goblin character whose only role is to betray everyone and steal the sword of Gryffindor comes up to Harry and they hug it out and start making out passionately while Ginny watches. That's how you do a satisfying narrative arc. Something was wrong, but in the end it gets made right.

But both of these options require the writer to have the basic cultural and political awareness to know that if you're going to reference something serious, like anti-semitism, you need to actually have something to say about it, even if it's just "this thing that I'm writing about isn't anti-semitism". You probably shouldn't say, in your narrative story where the resolution is entirely within your control, that the world is unfair and then that the world being unfair is actually fine.

Well, I guess you can if you're a completely spineless liberal whose only beliefs are based purely on their own convenience.

Last edited:

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
There are people on Facebook and twitter who thinks it's okay to spoil the ending. I am not gonna say what I saw, but due to how quickly it seems to be spreading and the posts being memed, I can't tell if any of it is true. "It's transphobic and everyone who bought the game deserves the spoiler" seems to be the main argument and reasoning behind the spoilers.

The question is how did they see the ending? Whether it's by playing or watching gameplay, they engaged in the very thing they are condemning, dare I say endorsing.

Oh the irony.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
There are people on Facebook and twitter who thinks it's okay to spoil the ending. I am not gonna say what I saw, but due to how quickly it seems to be spreading and the posts being memed, I can't tell if any of it is true. "It's transphobic and everyone who bought the game deserves the spoiler" seems to be the main argument and reasoning behind the spoilers.

The question is how did they see the ending? Whether it's by playing or watching gameplay, they engaged in the very thing they are condemning, dare I say endorsing.

Oh the irony.
Or you know, they went to somewhere like Wikipedia or Gamefaqs and looked it up. Not that this isn’t petty in the extreme of course, but if the game has been in the wild for more than a day then finding out the ending would be pretty easy without actually playing or watching it.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Anybody who has watched or read Chamber of Secrets should know damn well that the forest is just lousy with the children of Hagrid's escaped pet. If J.K. ever explicitly said that it's not a sport to hunt them every single night, I'd consider that a worse contribution to wizarding lore than pooping in the streets. Just the fact that we only ever see them in that one installment screams flawed world-building to high heavens.
Doesn’t this game take place like a hundred or so years before the books?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Oh the irony.
Great, it's Snape kills Dumbledore all over again.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I’ll be honest in retrospect that is the sort of thing I really felt most of us who read it should have seen coming. Not the way of it, but that it happened at all.
I long stopped reading Harry Potter at that point. The only reason I knew was that a friend told me a few weeks after reading the book.

LegoDnD

Jan 10, 2023
Country
United States of America
Doesn’t this game take place like a hundred or so years before the books?
If so, then my critique against the books still stands. But given this is about the game, maybe I'll shut up now.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
If so, then my critique against the books still stands. But given this is about the game, maybe I'll shut up now.
Yeah, I checked the game's store page: Legacy is based in the 1800s. But more interesting to me, is that the minimum RAM recommendation is 16GB. And based on what (one) friend told me, it really IS a minimum because her RAM usage would jump to like 90% during play.

Now Hogwarts and Forspoken are admittedly a small sample within a small sample, but that's two recent AAA releases who both were sucking back oodles of RAM. With luck, this is merely just aberrant and down to optimisation issues.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
What's 'Blood Libel And Broomsticks'? An in-game book? About what?

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
that one goblin character whose only role is to betray everyone and steal the sword of Gryffindor comes up to Harry and they hug it out and start making out passionately while Ginny watches. That's how you do a satisfying narrative arc.
You lost me a little in the middle there, not gonna lie.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I have a very bad impression of potter games since the ps2 era, every one of them seemed like a bad "movie game" that wasn't worth anything. So this is the mindset I went into this with, and damn I was surprised by what I saw. This is not the deepest game ever but it's just so much better than those older things, it's a real game in the potter world, as opposed to something trying to cash in on a movie that just came out.

Also apparently it's breaking twitch view records, so it's doing really well. Here's hoping more such games can get made. I'm still waiting for a really really good Matrix game. There was one on ps2 which was pretty good, but not amazing, and then nothing.

Reactions: NerfedFalcon

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Eh...not so much. The rather boring truth of the matter is that Rowling was never good at managing an 'ensemble' story for the series and limited her scope to those closest to Harry. You had his inner circle, and then you had a few antagonists in Slytherin, and a few recurring names in Gryffindor, with her more or less forgetting that the other houses were supposed to actually have sizable populations that existed as more than statistics or Quiddich teams until late in the series, and even then Hufflepuff's most fleshed out character in the entire series was killed in the same book he was introduced in, and Ravenclaw was mostly represented through Luna.

So basically, it boiled down to "Gryffindor are where the good guys go, Slytherin are where the bad guys go...and oh yeah, I guess Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff exist too. We'll say that Ravenclaw can be where the clever ones go". (And yes, I deliberately characterized it as Hufflepuff getting forgotten almost as soon as it was acknowledged to be underdeveloped).

In one of the later books, we got a little ditty from the sorting hat that kinda unfortunately reinforced this by characterizing Griffindor as selecting the brave, Slytherin as selecting cunning purebloods, Ravenclaw as selecting the smartest...and Hufflepuff as taking everyone else. Naturally, readers took that to mean that Hufflepuff took the otherwise unexceptional losers who weren't good enough to get into a better house.

Post series, Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff finally got a bit of fleshing out, with the clarification being that Hufflepuff wasn't the house of rejects, but rather the earnest and nonjudgemental and who don't care about being defined by the virtues of the other houses. Hufflepuff has purebloods, but unlike Slytherin they don't especially care about pedigree. Hufflepuff has no shortage of brave souls (officially, their presence in the final battle rivaled Griffindor's) but they lack the bravado of being a daredevil or thrill-seeker. Hufflepuff has clever students, but they aren't the type to make that the core of their identity. They aren't the house of the Brave, they're the house of the Steadfast, Loyal, and Just. They aren't the house of the Clever, they're the house of the Hardworking. And so forth.

Of course, "after the series ended" is by all rights "too little too late". Hence "...I'm a Hufflepuff(?)"
I think what people need to come to terms with is that the intention of the series was supposed to be a wish fulfilment fantasy story for kids 10 and younger. It wasn't created with the intention of being a functional world.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I think what people need to come to terms with is that the intention of the series was supposed to be a wish fulfilment fantasy story for kids 10 and younger. It wasn't created with the intention of being a functional world.
Actually for my money, Potter was a bit unique compared to some of its contemporaries. Like I won't claim to have read the entire set but the Famous Five or Secret Seven (as examples) didn't grow with its audience. Harry Potter on the other hand does follow them over the course of growing up and changing. Its one of the series great strengths, just as we grow and learn more of the world some of the conceits the books run on make us look twice and go "Hang on a second". Mind you the books suffer this far, far less than the movies do.