Hogwarts Legacy - Whimsical Wizardry

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
although not as much as it stings hearing Roger Waters play apologist for war crimes. Really expected better from him.
This statement is really interesting because it highlights who people elevate artists to some other level of morality or standard because they happened to think up something that we like. But at the end of the day they are people with their own opinions and views of the world that are probably completely different than your ideal version of them. Because so-and-so made something that's so great, they must then be an amazingly great person which is basically never the case.

Which is why it's important for people to learn to separate art from artist as much as you possibly can. Because like Rowling's views don't really have anything to do with any of the joy her books brought to millions of kids during that era. It's the same logic you have to hold Disney to, because Walt was a less than great person himself. But he built a massive empire that's basically unstoppable now, so you have to weigh the creation versus the creator and he's been well out of the picture so does it really matter?

This circles back to Hogwarts Legacy where, yes Rowling will get a minimal amount of money for it (consider how wealthy she already is) but she doesn't have anything to do with the game's creation and event he game itself takes place well before any bullshit she ever wrote further removing her influence into the game itself.

She might, eventually come to her senses and apologize for having discriminated a bunch of innocent people for no reason, or she might not. Either way, Harry Potter and its legacy, no pun intended, are gonna outlast and eclipse her attachement to a conservative political cause she inexplicably chose to support in the last third of her life.
Much like Disney, Lovecraft, etc, Harry Potter will be around to entertain kids long after Rowling is dead and in the ground. What ultimately do their political opinions really matter in regards to the art they've made?

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Unless you're Phil fish, Tim Shchafer, Neil druckmann, Anthony Burch, or any other number of people whose views are politically en vogue. Then, they absolutely get a free pass when "toxic discourse taints the conversation" to the point "it can no longer be had in good faith", because "well-meaning but contextually-blind critics" make "unwitting alliances with and "enable" the "toxic actors".
They get a free pass, do they? They've all been pretty widely criticised.

Do you actually mean, 'they haven't been criticised as much as J.K. Rowling in the online spheres I frequent'? Because that's not really the same thing.

Really funny how that reasoning only ever seems to consistently apply to one side of the debate.
It doesn't, really, hence why right-wing online mobs remain more prevalent and abusive than the evil woke boogiemen.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
They get a free pass, do they? They've all been pretty widely criticised.
They do, but the thing about that is that if you do criticize them. People will call you a piece of shit. Which you can't do to people "criticizing" Rowling, otherwise you're a bigot.

It's not that the criticism doesn't exist, but there are certain people who (at least for a while) were like "not okay" to talk about. Anita Sarkeesian was like that for a while, until her swindle started to fail.

It doesn't, really, hence why right-wing online mobs remain more prevalent and abusive than the evil woke boogiemen.
I think the mob is abusive on both sides. And both sides have varying degrees of severity.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
This statement is really interesting because it highlights who people elevate artists to some other level of morality or standard because they happened to think up something that we like. But at the end of the day they are people with their own opinions and views of the world that are probably completely different than your ideal version of them. Because so-and-so made something that's so great, they must then be an amazingly great person which is basically never the case.
Nah, that's not it. Unlike Rowling, Roger Waters' actual output as an artist has always been politically charged. And I'd be lying if I said that works like The Wall, Final Cut, Amused to Death and so on didn't speak to me politically and didn't have some impact on my personal views when I grew up (For the record, no, I'm not that old, I'm 29, I've just always been a dadrocker at heart). And hearing someone like Waters who has always taken a firm stance against war and oppression in his music hemming and hawing about whether a military superpower is justified in invading its neighbour just... hits different.

Rowling, whom I really only knew as an author of fairly apolitical adventure novels, turning out to be prejudiced against transgender people reflects poorly on her, but it's not like I ever expected much from her political views considering she was never a political artist. Meanwhile, if Thomas Pynchon came out as a Trump supporter or Suda51 started denying Japanese war crimes I'd find it quite disheartening.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
It's a canabalistic ideology. Where even if you are part of the group whether it's L or B or G or T or whatever, it doesn't actually matter if you aren't also onboard with the ideology. If a trans person comes out and doesn't agree with whatever people are angry about this week, the mob will turn on them and it doesn't matter if they are part of their group.

And it's the same in every marginalized group. BLM shit on Candance Owens and a number of other black news people and accused them of being racist, when they themselves are black. I forget the term they used but it's something disgusting so I'm not gonna look it up.

It's also why TERF is a term, which I find highly ironic because it's obvious that they are more than willing to ostracize and exclude any other trans person who doesn't fully buy into the message they are trying to push.
When you think about it, lesbians, gay and bisexual people are all sexualities, but trans is gender which is a different thing from sex and sexuality and sexualising people for being trans is also bad, so I don't get why you would even wanna bunch it all in one thing.

The closest thing to an explanation I've seen is that because the groups are all oppressed by the same thing according to marxist thought, they are allied in enduring it.

Thing is, even if you grant all this, I don't know if that alliance is the best way forward for every group, and it seems JK is of the view that her team doesn't need any more members, which brands her a heretic.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Rowling, for most of the past decade, drew a lot more attention as a conservative political activist than as a writer of fiction. Her detective novels and the Fantastic Beasts movies aren't exactly works of great cultural or artistic relevance. Whether her activism comes from a place of sincere conviction or from a place of spite might matter to her, but I don't see why it should matter to anyone else. She expressed bigoted views, people called them out, she decided to double down rather than apologize. I will admit, it does sting a little to see the author of books that I grew up with become a mouthpiece for discrimination (although not as much as it stings hearing Roger Waters play apologist for war crimes. Really expected better from him.) but I'm not gonna have an existential crisis over it and neither should anyone else. Sometimes good things are made by bad people. Sometimes good things are inspired by things made by bad people. Nothing to lose sleep over.

Which is really what I'm wondering about. I get boycotting the game because you're not comfortable buying something that Rowling gets paid royalties for, perfectly respectable decision. But trying to force a mass boycott of it is... quite a hill to die on, that's for sure. Like, it just makes me wonder if this is the first time that people have realized that sometimes popular things are made by bad people. You know, Roman Polanski molested a teenager, Warren Spector shot someone, both are succesful artists in their respective fields. Not saying that's a good thing, but it shows the futility of that approach. Let's be honest, Rowling could car bomb a pride parade and it wouldn't have any significant impact on the popularity of Harry Potter. People take it for granted as a cultural tentpole. There are more people who are fans of Harry Potter than there are people who are even aware of what Rowling's personal views are. A high budget Harry Potter game that's even supposed to be good in its own merits was always going to be popular, no matter what.

Don't get me wrong, in a perfect world Rowling wouldn't make money off of this. In fact, in a perfect world something like "licenses" and "royalties" wouldn't exist and everyone would be able to expand on other people work to their hearts desire. But at some point you really gotta acknowledge, in a few decades Rowling will be dead, her views are gonna be regarded as an unfortunate and all too common product of a less enlightened time and people are still gonna have fond memories of Harry Potter and Hogwarts Legacy. I hate to bring up this example, as it's brought up way too often, but Lovecraft was, even by the standards of his time, a racist son of a *****. But his contributions to horror literature is still felt in everything that followed, while the name of his cat is a piece of bad taste trivia. And, I guess, Lovecraft also softened up in that regard when he got older, which it's still not too late for Rowling to do, but I know better than to actually expect that from her.

She might, eventually come to her senses and apologize for having discriminated a bunch of innocent people for no reason, or she might not. Either way, Harry Potter and its legacy, no pun intended, are gonna outlast and eclipse her attachement to a conservative political cause she inexplicably chose to support in the last third of her life.
Hell, Gene Roddenberry was a rampaging philanderer at the very least, a control freak and all in all a bit of a pompous asshole. I don't love Star Trek any less for it. And Harry Potter also got like, four generations of kids to pick up books and read. So as far as I'm concerned, that's the legacy of Harry Potter and JK Rowling. Getting people to read.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Which is why it's important for people to learn to separate art from artist as much as you possibly can. Because like Rowling's views don't really have anything to do with any of the joy her books brought to millions of kids during that era.
Rowling's personal politics shape the books in very clear ways. They're very reflective of a certain kind of liberal thought. This is most overtly reflected in how consumerist a fantasy it is. The enduring images of the wizarding world are not in the mystery and wonder of the power of magic itself, but in the panoply of stuff that surrounds it, a great portion of which are consumer products. They also reflect a view that problems in society are caused by bad people rather than bad systems. The house system at Hogwarts is a machine that produces fascists. This is not a controversial take, it's essentially just text, yet no effort is made to critique it. They are the exactly the kind of books that you would be written by someone who has publicly expressed admiration for Tony Blair. If you know an creator held certain views, that's going to change how you look at a work because it changes your assessment of the mindset with which it was written, or simply reminds you of something you find abhorrent.

Leaving that aside, the decision whether or not to make particular purchases is, under our current economic system, a way in which people can express their commitment to particular political causes. I think it's unreasonable to expect people to make the most ethical choices possible at all times, because that's a lot of work and in general we need some stuff to both survive and enjoy life. Still, there are some things you can very much go without. We live in a world rich with art of all kinds. I don't need funnel money towards creators who've done or said things I find objectionable if I don't want to. I thought the first volume of Transmetropolitan was interesting, but there are other sci-fi comics I can read not written by abusers. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a classic, but there are other children's classics not written by antisemites. The episode The Work Outing from The IT Crowd is one of the funniest things I have ever seen in my entire life, but there are other sit coms not written by guys who became stark raving mad transphobes.

Also, frankly, personally, I find it hard to enjoy something if I'm aware that the primary mind behind it is one that presently aggressively wishes ill on some of my dearest friends, who simply wish to be treated with dignity and respect, but have been selected as a target for a relentless and very public campaign of hate because they don't fit in with some overly neat and tidy views of humanity. We are reaching a very depressing level of media hysteria about trans people and the battle lines being drawn are between whether trans people are allowed to exist or not. It's not a matter of whether you agree with every precept of the most radical queer theory, it's a matter of whether you want them to be. You can, of course, simply choose to stand and watch, but deciding you don't care who wins in a fight for survival can only ever be read one way.

Reactions: Gyrobot

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
When you think about it, lesbians, gay and bisexual people are all sexualities, but trans is gender which is a different thing from sex and sexuality and sexualising people for being trans is also bad, so I don't get why you would even wanna bunch it all in one thing.
I think they are groups together with the rest because they often also share in that sexuality of gay, bi, whatever. If a man is dating a woman, then becomes a woman himself, but stays with that woman....the logic is he no longer a straight man but instead a lesbian woman now. So that person then falls into the L part of the acronym. And it goes any number of ways, sometimes confusing as well. Elliot Page is a good example, as Ellen Page she was a lesbian, but now has transitioned into a man and there fore is now a straight man as he is still attracted to women. He is now just only Trans, but I think they group it all together with the LBGT because there is a lot of overlap.

You are right though L, G, and B, are all sexualities and are all pretty normal things that happen to people. T doesn't fit the same way because the truth behind it will get you banned from every platform on the internet except 4chan.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I actually don't know if that's true(all the wierdos go to Hufflepuff) but it's funny so why not?
Hufflepuff doesn't really have weirdos, and if they did, they certainly don't have a monopoly on them - Luna's a Ravenclaw for instance.

Eg. "There's not a witch or wizard who went bad that wasn't in Slytherin" works well enough for the first book when you're more or less led to believe that Hogwarts is pretty much the only wizarding school of note and that the wizarding population is probably less than that of the UK (and mostly exists within its borders). It works significantly less well when Goblet of Fire introduces other major schools from other countries, one of which allegedly flat out teaches the Dark Arts, never mind the expansion of the wizarding government to have its own police force. Even limiting the scope of the statement with an implicit "in Hogwarts", if that tendency was as pronounced as implied in the first book, you'd think that being sorted into Slytherin would automatically put you on some kind of watch list from the government and a 'needs special counseling' shortlist from the faculty.
That's assuming that Hagrid's meant to be considered an unbiased source of information in regards to the topic. Even when I first read it, I didn't take that line literally. Hagrid's already shown himself to be generally distrustful of Muggles by this point, has already declared Hogwarts to be the best in the business, and doesn't defend Hufflepuff, only saying that Hufflepuff would be a better house for Harry to be in than Slytherin.

Slytherin has turned out more dark wizards than the other houses, but "more" isn't the same as "only."

And looking back with the knowledge of how the story was (and was not) fleshed out, it is as you say. The worldbuilding would definitely have benefited with the major cast having been better spread out across the school rather than just putting all the protagonisty students in Griffindor and the antagonisty ones in Slytherin and calling it a day.
There's a chicken and egg scenario there however, since the houses are organized in a way that students spend most of their time in their own house. When setting up the first book, that would be possible, from later books, it's much harder.

This has the same energy of the people claiming saying Orc with a hard C is the same as saying the n-word in DnD.
Da fuq?

Oh, wait, after the hadozee "controversy," why am I not surprised?

Fantasy stories often use historical events to inspire events in their own world. Also the Goblins are evil in this universe so this artifact implies that Fettmilch was evil, so how is it anti-semetic when it reads like a call out to how much of a bastard Fettmilch was? It's literally implying that it was evil.
First, the goblins aren't evil ipso facto. There's certainly individual goblins who you could call evil (like humans), but not as a species.

Second, the whole "goblins are Jews" nonsense might actually have a leg to stand on if they WERE evil, but they're explicitly not. You haven't read the books, but what's so baffling about this is that the series does have its own equivalent of anti-semitism, namely blood purity, and especially in the seventh book, where Nazi-esque propeganda towards "mudbloods" is laid on thick. I'd say it was evident, but I've also seen people say there should be a Jewish character to comment on the similarities, because subtlety is for twats I guess (not that the similarities are subtle to begin with).

Doesn’t this game take place like a hundred or so years before the books?
Yes.

I also have never heard of HP being anti-Semitic only that it was somehow anti-trans solely because of Rowling's twitter exploits.
I had to type and retype this response as I decided how deep into the rabbit hole I wanted to go, but I'll try and answer those questions and those alone:

-The whole "HP is anti-semitic" thing came up some point after the series had ended (maybe there were rumblings of it before, that's when it came into vogue) alongside a whole slew of other accusations. I've given my thoughts on these things over the years, but on the whole "goblin question," I've given my stance on it above.

-The idea of HP being "anti-trans" is something that seems to stem entirely from the Rowling controversy, because I can't think of anything in the books that suggests this. The only exception to this is that there's a dearth of LGBT characters, so this argument follows the line of "absence of x is because of animosity to x" (to cite a personal example, I've been accused of genocide because a oneshot I wrote didn't have any LGBT character in it). But apart from that, either in text or subtext, HP has nothing to say on the subject.

It actually occurred to me while writing this, and I'm going to postulate the following that how you feel about HP really depends on how much you feel about authoratorial intent. For instance, if you believe in analyzing a text in the context of the author's intention, then claiming that HP promotes anti-semitism relies on the idea that despite the books having Nazi/Jewish stand-ins and reviling the former, it is, in fact, secretly pro-anti-semitic because of the goblins, which requires various leaps of logic to make the claim work.

If, on the other hand, authoratorial intent is meaningless, then any meaning can be imparted from HP. It doesn't matter what the books are saying about prejudice, the user can impart their own meaning from it. It doesn't matter that the books don't broach sexuality or religion at all, the absence of these things can be seen as antagonistic. It's why people can claim that the series is Islamophobic given the lack of Muslim characters, despite the fact that religion, real or otherwise, has never been addressed in the books, period. So when you have people claiming that "HP belongs to the fans," while this is an absurd statement in isolation, when you consider the approach to authorship it stems from, it's easier to understand the sentiment.

Actually for my money, Potter was a bit unique compared to some of its contemporaries. Like I won't claim to have read the entire set but the Famous Five or Secret Seven (as examples) didn't grow with its audience. Harry Potter on the other hand does follow them over the course of growing up and changing. Its one of the series great strengths, just as we grow and learn more of the world some of the conceits the books run on make us look twice and go "Hang on a second". Mind you the books suffer this far, far less than the movies do.
I fully agree with this.

I think what people need to come to terms with is that the intention of the series was supposed to be a wish fulfilment fantasy story for kids 10 and younger. It wasn't created with the intention of being a functional world.
That's highly debatable.

HP certainly has wish fulfillment aspects, and I agree that's part of its popularity. However, the wish fulfillment aspects are definitely less prevalent by book 4. Harry's maturing, the audience is maturing, the tone's getting darker, the stakes are higher, etc.

As for the debate of it being a functioning world, again, I don't really agree. Even in the first book itself, we get a good sense of the rules of the setting.

Is Harry Potter even still

big with teenagers?
As someone who works in libraries, I can assure you that HP is still popular across the age spectrum.

Which is why it's important for people to learn to separate art from artist as much as you possibly can. Because like Rowling's views don't really have anything to do with any of the joy her books brought to millions of kids during that era. It's the same logic you have to hold Disney to, because Walt was a less than great person himself. But he built a massive empire that's basically unstoppable now, so you have to weigh the creation versus the creator and he's been well out of the picture so does it really matter?
I can't say I fully agree, but it's not really for the reasons you might think.

"Death of the author" works fine as an intellectual exercise, and there's certainly been cases where I've interpreted the themes of a work in one way, only to learn later that the author meant something different (chances are that's true for all of us). When it comes to analyzing texts, I don't think one should do so without reference to the author, at least if they've gone on record saying what they intended. For instance:

Author: I wrote this to say X.

Reader: I interpreted this as saying Y.

Is the author or reader correct? Can they be correct? Are the interpretations equally valid? You can make a good argument that a work is free to be interpreted as the reader wishes, regardless of the author's intentions, but I don't think we should always, ipso facto, try and pretend that authorship isn't a real process. Even if you feel the text said Y when the author intended for it to say X, the view of the author should at least be encouraged.

Things are even more extreme in HP because there's a swelling idea of the series "belonging to the fans." I really dislike this argument, regardless of the IP. Fans don't own IPs. I've written for FFN, I've administered wikis, I've done various things, including in HP itself, none of this stuff grants me ownership. To the letter and spirit of the law, I firmly believe that ownership lies with the creator(s). This applies to Rowling, this applies to Disney.

Much like Disney, Lovecraft, etc, Harry Potter will be around to entertain kids long after Rowling is dead and in the ground. What ultimately do their political opinions really matter in regards to the art they've made?
I'd say the political opinions of the author are valid when they're reflected in the work. If they're not found in the work, they're generally irrelevant to the work in question.

I say generally, because one can sometimes draw a link between an author's beliefs/actions/history, and see how they might be reflected in the work itself, even if it's not directly a theme, but that isn't the case here.

Rowling's personal politics shape the books in very clear ways. They're very reflective of a certain kind of liberal thought. This is most overtly reflected in how consumerist a fantasy it is. The enduring images of the wizarding world are not in the mystery and wonder of the power of magic itself, but in the panoply of stuff that surrounds it, a great portion of which are consumer products.
This is a bizzare take.

First, ask anyone who's read HP what they liked most about the series. I've never seen anyone cite the asortment of candy, or anything along those lines. I'm sure people remember the existence of Bertie Bots Every Flavour Beans and Buterbeer, but "the enduring images?" What?

Second, if we're looking at this from an in-universe perspective, anyone familiar with magic is going to see magic as mundane. This is a circular argument. To Harry, everything is wondrous at first, but to people who've grown up with magic? That would be just normal.

Third, and I've seen this argument pop up from time to time (usually from the left), it displays a general contempt for abundence. Wizards have access to consumer products? How terrible. Absolutely terrible. How dare wizards be able to buy themselves neat stuff and not use their magic for subsistance purposes only. Those cretins!

They also reflect a view that problems in society are caused by bad people rather than bad systems.
What?

I'm sorry, but this makes no sense - a core theme of HP is the opposite of what you've just said.

Again, the books aren't even subtle about it. To quote Dumbledore in book 5 (paraphrased), "The fountain told a lie. We wizards have treated other magical creatures poorly for too long, and now we're paying the price of it." The guide to the Cursed Child stage play even spells out what's obvious for any reader, that if Tom Riddle had grown up with people who loved him, his life could have turned out very differently (the cycle of sorrow being repeated through Delphi).

The house system at Hogwarts is a machine that produces fascists. This is not a controversial take, it's essentially just text, yet no effort is made to critique it.
It absolutely is a controversial take, or at least, a nonsensical one.

To claim that the house system is producing "fascists" (I assume you mean Death Eaters), you'd have to demonstrate that the ratio of students to Death Eaters is high. Except that isn't the case. The house system has operated for over 1000 years in-universe, how many "fascists" has it produced, and what's the proportion of them to the total no. of students. Even confining this to the timeframe of the books, count every DE character and compare them to every non-DE character, and one has much, MUCH more than the other.

I think one can reasonably critique the house system in of itself, to the idea of sorting children based on personality traits rather than mixing and matching for instance, but that's hardly a "fascist machine."

Reactions: Satinavian

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Slytherin has turned out more dark wizards than the other houses, but "more" isn't the same as "only."
If you have a venn diagram, The Dark Wizard circle almost entirely engulfs the Slytherin circle

Again, the books aren't even subtle about it. To quote Dumbledore in book 5 (paraphrased), "The fountain told a lie. We wizards have treated other magical creatures poorly for too long, and now we're paying the price of it." The guide to the Cursed Child stage play even spells out what's obvious for any reader, that if Tom Riddle had grown up with people who loved him, his life could have turned out very differently (the cycle of sorrow being repeated through Delphi).
The books talk a good game, but they never actually, y'know, fixed the issue with how wizards treat non-humans. Or even attempted to. 'Course, the Cursed Child also came up with the idea that if Cedric lost the Tri Wizard Tournament outrite instead of being killed by Voldy, he would've turned into a death eater out of embarrassment

I think one can reasonably critique the house system in of itself, to the idea of sorting children based on personality traits rather than mixing and matching for instance, but that's hardly a "fascist machine."
It groups all the ambitious racist pricks together based on supposedly innate, unchangeable characteristics. That's a good way to get the ball rolling for new fascist organizations. Lotta built in eugenics that don't get much of a pushback

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I think they are groups together with the rest because they often also share in that sexuality of gay, bi, whatever. If a man is dating a woman, then becomes a woman himself, but stays with that woman....the logic is he no longer a straight man but instead a lesbian woman now. So that person then falls into the L part of the acronym. And it goes any number of ways, sometimes confusing as well. Elliot Page is a good example, as Ellen Page she was a lesbian, but now has transitioned into a man and there fore is now a straight man as he is still attracted to women. He is now just only Trans, but I think they group it all together with the LBGT because there is a lot of overlap.

You are right though L, G, and B, are all sexualities and are all pretty normal things that happen to people. T doesn't fit the same way because the truth behind it will get you banned from every platform on the internet except 4chan.
It's because we're all queer. Not actually that complicated. Trying to split that into different letters just made it easier to pull the shit y'all are trying now.

Outside of the internet and academics, this shit isn't nearly a cut and dry as people pretend. The radfems really dropped the ball when they started pulling the Political Lesbian shit

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I'm sorry, but this makes no sense - a core theme of HP is the opposite of what you've just said.

Again, the books aren't even subtle about it. To quote Dumbledore in book 5 (paraphrased), "The fountain told a lie. We wizards have treated other magical creatures poorly for too long, and now we're paying the price of it."
Nominally, yes. But then again, the happy ending comes when the bad people are removed from power, and changes to the system are never mentioned. Not read Cursed Child, though

Argh, and TheMysterious GX has pointed that out while I was typing.

Well...I don't think anyone has pointed out that Rowling herself has said that the ongoing popularity of her franchise proves people like her views. Can't find the tweet though.

Now, of course, you can certainly argue that you can like her franchise without liking her stance on trans people, but she doesn't seem to think you can.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
In fairness to the people posting spoilers, unless the story is incompetently presented, anybody with basic media literacy skills should be able to guess what happens.

And they're leaving out the batshit parts, which if you have JK Rowling specific and basic general prequel literacy skills, you should also be able to guess.

I dunno, maybe my perception is skewed. I guessed the twist of The Sixth Dense based on the clue of "it's the last thing you would think of"

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
If you have a venn diagram, The Dark Wizard circle almost entirely engulfs the Slytherin circle
Are you talking about the books or the IP?

If it's the former, that's true. If it's the latter, that's debatable. There's over 90 identified dark wizards in the setting for instance, there's clearly dark wizards that were never in Slytherin, or even in the UK.

The books talk a good game, but they never actually, y'know, fixed the issue with how wizards treat non-humans. Or even attempted to.
That's technically true at best.

First, it touches on an argument I've seen come up various times that goes along the lines of:

1: Author writes X

2: X is bad.

3: Therefore, author supports X

The argument relies on the idea that if an author presents a setting where something is wrong, and the wrong thing isn't changed by the end of the story, it's an endorsement of the issue, or alternatively, not seen as an issue at all. I completely disagree with this idea when it comes to reading/writing, but applying it to HP, clearly the issues aren't endorsed.

Second, you're right in a technical sense that the issues aren't fixed within the books themselves, but this is a red herring. Apart from a few exceptions, Harry is the only POV character, and he has no power to change how the world works, he's too busy saving the world from being replaced by something much worse. Aside from the epilogue, the story ends less than 24 hours after Voldemort's defeat, so even if you agree with the line of argument that any issue in a fictional setting is obliged to be solved, the story is written in such a way that prevents it from happening.

Third, canonically, a lot of the issues ARE solved, or at least ameliorated. Hermione becomes Minister of Magic, she helps pass legislation for house elves, she works with Kingsley Shacklebolt to make the law more fair, by the time of Cursed Child (more on that later), the remaining Death Eaters are being captured, things are generally doing better.

'Course, the Cursed Child also came up with the idea that if Cedric lost the Tri Wizard Tournament outrite instead of being killed by Voldy, he would've turned into a death eater out of embarrassment
I agree that Cedric was done dirty in Cursed Child, that's nothing to do with the above point.

It groups all the ambitious racist pricks together based on supposedly innate, unchangeable characteristics. That's a good way to get the ball rolling for new fascist organizations. Lotta built in eugenics that don't get much of a pushback
There's a grain of truth there, but it's missing out a lot.

-First, while it's true that purebloods are more likely to get into Slytherin than other houses, it's not the only factor, nor the most important one.

-Second, the ideas of blood superiority are fairly common outside Slytherin. This is seen as early as ch. 1 of book 1, where McGonagall mentions Muggles as "not completely stupid." Wizards in general look down on Muggles, this isn't exclusive to Slytherin, even if it's more pronounced.

It's because we're all queer. Not actually that complicated.
Queer: " Queer is an umbrella term for people who are not heterosexual or cisgender."

Considering that 99% of the population is cisgender, and that the highest estimates of LGBT are around 20% (usually it averages out between 5-10%), um, no, the majority of the human race isn't queer.

Nominally, yes. But then again, the happy ending comes when the bad people are removed from power, and changes to the system are never mentioned. Not read Cursed Child, though
Well the "bad people" are removed from power at the end of book 7. As for the other points, see what I said above.

As for Cursed Child, I'm not fond of it for a variety of reasons, but the stuff mentioned isn't its focus.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
That's technically true at best.

First, it touches on an argument I've seen come up various times that goes along the lines of:

1: Author writes X

2: X is bad.

3: Therefore, author supports X

The argument relies on the idea that if an author presents a setting where something is wrong, and the wrong thing isn't changed by the end of the story, it's an endorsement of the issue, or alternatively, not seen as an issue at all. I completely disagree with this idea when it comes to reading/writing, but applying it to HP, clearly the issues aren't endorsed.

Second, you're right in a technical sense that the issues aren't fixed within the books themselves, but this is a red herring. Apart from a few exceptions, Harry is the only POV character, and he has no power to change how the world works, he's too busy saving the world from being replaced by something much worse. Aside from the epilogue, the story ends less than 24 hours after Voldemort's defeat, so even if you agree with the line of argument that any issue in a fictional setting is obliged to be solved, the story is written in such a way that prevents it from happening.
IMHO, it's not that any issue is obliged to be solved, it that's there's a problem if the issues aren't solved when there's an unambiguous happy ending. Which, at the end of the 7th book, there was.

Now, how serious this is is subjective, if Rowling had stayed quiet after the 7th book it'd be, IMHO, a minor flaw, and you'd be hard pressed to find a work without any.
But she keeps doing things that encourage people to look at the flaws in her work in greater detail.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
On the whole controversy round the title.

I find it weird where the lines are being drawn.

A major streaming service whose name I won't say specifically doesn't pay royalties at all out for shows so I'm not subscribed to it because I don't believe a company that cares for media should be doing that especially when asking a monthly fee to access said content and giving no way to otherwise own said content.

A certain film in recent memory from 20th century fox cut corners on set and due to that and pressuring a person in the film it lead to a woman dying needlessly on set. I refused to go see the film. I saw and enjoyed the first one but I refused to see the sequel because of what happened during filming it.

Even before losing the case the rumours were Amber Heard abused Johnny Depp and tried to ruin him. I didn't see Aquaman in cinemas, I don't own a copy of the film and only watched it when it was on a streaming service which at most resulted in my giving £0.30 to the studio in royalties which is more acceptable to myself in terms of minimising money given.

J.K. Rowling saying shit on twitter? That's where people have decided to take a stand? Really?

This isn't even Orson Scott Card levels of harm where at least you could point out that dude literally giving money and backing to specific awful named groups and basically say "this is how he's spending the money he's getting".

Hell the Scott Cawthorn boycott had more substance to it's arguments against the guy than the ones against J.K. Rowling so far.

---

The thing is, the J.K Rowling boycott was always coming. I knew it was coming, I didn't know what for but it was coming.

To weirdly loop this in to a recent Escapist video.

There has been a growing push for years (mostly on Tumblr in the initial days of it) for J.K. Rowling to be MORE "progressive". Or to use a phrase a certain youtuber uses to push "The message". On Tumblr there were people writing about Neurodivergent students at Hogwarts and how magical aids and stuff could be used to help them with stuff, cools ideas up until the point people were then on about how they hoped J.K.Rowling included it in future stuff or how she "Needed to do it for x group of people". Then Fantastic Beasts came out and didn't give these people what they wanted. Some people took it as a a deliberate slight by J.K. Rowling towards them and so she was against them, they considered themselves good and so J.K Rowling was evil and as they believe in "The message" then J.K.Rowling not following said idea to the letter was proof of her being evil and they set out to find more evidence of her being evil hence the claims of anti-semitism etc.

---

On the whole Hogwarts houses thing.

Slytherin has produced more dark witches and wizards due to the nature of the qualities of the students the house is known form. Ambition is easy to become lust for power.

Determination can become success by any means.

In additional info it's revealed in lore stuff that most of Slytherin sealed the dungeon doors during the battle of hogwarts and initially were seen as dishonunred and cowardly until it was pointed out that some of the people on the Death Eaters side were other Slytherins or relatives / parents of them and they were put in the position of choosing to fight their friends and relatives or their fellow students and teacher and they refused to fight either. They rejected the call to fight for the villains just because they were relatives. They had a harder choice than other students because other students weren't fighting friend and relatives they were fighting people they already hated.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren