Hogwarts Legacy - Whimsical Wizardry

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I think the thing that amuses me about this launch is for all the mud slinging on both sides - of which I can see both sides have some valid points, and some less than valid - turns out on PC at least, its just another slapdash buggy port of a console game. I watched a few gameplay videos, read probably 15-20 steam reviews, and its buggy, framerate drops, T poses to assert magical dominance, weird shadows of the not magic kind, and missing audio. Perhaps the port developers should have stood in front of that magic mirror a bit longer, because at least from what I've read the gamepad support on PC leaves a lot to be desired.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Bit of a downer, but infinitely better than "All is well".

I think Animorphs pulled that, amongst *a lot* of other fucked up shit. Seriously, you'd need a Cronenberg to film *that* fun book series for kids. Fantastic stuff, more kids should read it, and it's officially available for free
Animorphs, the series that helped mold my taste for fiction. Also the YA series that has a book where most of the plot is Tobias surviving being tortured.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Animorphs, the series that helped mold my taste for fiction. Also the YA series that has a book where most of the plot is Tobias surviving being tortured.
I could never get into the TV series or the books. I read the first two books and got bored after that. I was more into Alex Mack at the time.

Reactions: Dalisclock

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
I'm a bit annoyed by how much of a Gary Stu/Mary Sue the protagonist is. Good at everything and gets along with everyone. Even Harry, for what a boring dweeb he was, had a bunch of of other teachers and students who couldn't stand him.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I'm a bit annoyed by how much of a Gary Stu/Mary Sue the protagonist is. Good at everything and gets along with everyone. Even Harry, for what a boring dweeb he was, had a bunch of of other teachers and students who couldn't stand him.
I do wonder how much changes if you are a greedy dick to everyone. Because you can be a greedy dick to people. I was gonna do that for the Slytheran partial playthrough.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
It leaves me to wonder if that was also by design, as having to code various dialog conflicts would’ve inevitably led to the possibility of players being offended by something the PC said or did to someone. I don’t plan on ever playing it though and have no idea how the scripting is in the first place.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Even Harry, for what a boring dweeb he was, had a bunch of of other teachers and students who couldn't stand him.
That and Harry had a lot of traits that made him kinda deserving of at least some of the dislike. Harry's often kinda judgmental and he rarely forgets a grudge. There's him getting by at school mostly because he has Hermoine do his homework for him, and there's that time he made it a point to completely ignore the girl he himself asked to go on a date with.

Harry's also not a particularly skilled protagonist. He's hardly a mighty duelist or a great thinker, and he mostly gets by on Voldemort handicapping himself and Dumbledore stacking the deck for him in advance.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Except for Newt Scamander and co, who know Queenie Goldstein can read his mind and has no reason to lie about what she saw.
True but what she saw may not have been the truth. Occlumency exists in cannon too which as you'll recall is designed to shield you mind being read.

So yeh Grindlewald can lie to mind readers.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
That and Harry had a lot of traits that made him kinda deserving of at least some of the dislike. Harry's often kinda judgmental and he rarely forgets a grudge. There's him getting by at school mostly because he has Hermoine do his homework for him, and there's that time he made it a point to completely ignore the girl he himself asked to go on a date with.

Harry's also not a particularly skilled protagonist. He's hardly a mighty duelist or a great thinker, and he mostly gets by on Voldemort handicapping himself and Dumbledore stacking the deck for him in advance.
*sigh* So many ways the series could have been better. Put Hermione in Ravenclaw and Ron in Hufflepuff and have the story be about four kids from each house getting involved in stuff. Have Malfoy be less of a git and give Harry and Ron more skills so it's not just Hermione doing most of the work. *sigh*

Reactions: BrawlMan

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Yes, capital punishment is probably legal (it's certainly legal by the 90s in Britain/Ireland), no, it probably has more due process than the infiltrator which I mentioned would give.
It doesn't, because they were gonna do it.
Not exactly a reliable source.

I haven't seen the third movie, how much information did he impart, and in what matter?
Fucking hell, I've got to accept barely explained twitlongers and mobile game lore and you haven't even seen the primary source? I hate arguing on the internet. Short version "muggles are violent, stupid, and are about to kick off a war that's going to kill the lot of us, and the current government isn't doing anything about it. Vote for me because the (undead) magic baby deer says my soul is pure". Normal people doing a Holocaust and building nukes was his fucking recruitment pitch

If I had to suffer through this shit, so should you

Where? The article cites the books themselves as sources.
The source for *that specific claim* is pottermore and a mobile game. The line before that was "wizards thought it was amusing when the muggles tried to burn them, and some of them played along, setting themselves up to be "burned" multiple times"
And your experiences aren't universal either.
Never said it was, chief. Just know that the vast majority of people hated the GoT ending so much the series basically stopped being talked about
First, the Star Wars tweet doesn't make sense in that context because it's imparting information that's given in the film itself.
Have you watched *that* one? Because no it fucking didn't
Second, I actually agree that HP has ad hoc storytelling issues, but we're way beyond that. You've simultaniously discussed stuff from Fantastic Beasts and Hogwarts Legacy, while in this very post, discounted Pottermore and Wizards United. You don't get to pick which sources are and aren't canon, especially since there's nothing to suggest that these aren't canon.
Lmao, I'm not gonna pull a Wookieepedia and start assuming videogames are explicitly canon. "And then a child was getting choked out by vines for 8 hours, because premium currency is metaphysical"
And yet you're fine with talking about the content of some games while writing off others.
Only this game, the game the thread is about.
Because those aren't contradictory statements. You're conflating free will with inherent traits.

Demons, in general, can be said to have free will in most IPs, as while they're usually malignant, they're free to act how they please in pursuing their goals. Individuals that belong to a hivemind (tyranids, borg, zerg, etc.) don't have free will, as their every action is dictated by a hivemind.
Demons do not have free will in D&D, they're created metaphysical constructs. They have flexibility in thinking to accomplish their goals, kind of, but their goals are not their own. Orcs are not a hive mind in D&D either, so that's a really fucking weird argument
Don't know, not sure how that's relevant.
You say that people were mad that lore aspects of the setting were changed. That would require the Monster Manual to have a setting to change

Reactions: BrawlMan

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
These are the four Harry Potter houses:

Good
Evil
Smartass
Other
Yeah it was always odd how comically, over-the-top evil Slytherin was. Like Gryffindor was for the brave, honest types, Ravenclaw was the smart bookish type, Hufflepuff was for nature loving hippies and general do-gooders, and Slytherin was for the conniving, racist, fascist, genocidal slavers and everyone is just well aware that's who they are. Like "Oh yeah, that's the potential dark wizards/witches group of kids. Look out, they may enslave you or your family as part of their senior thesis on how to enslave people."

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Yeah it was always odd how comically, over-the-top evil Slytherin was. Like Gryffindor was for the brave, honest types, Ravenclaw was the smart bookish type, Hufflepuff was for nature loving hippies and general do-gooders, and Slytherin was for the conniving, racist, fascist, genocidal slavers and everyone is just well aware that's who they are. Like "Oh yeah, that's the potential dark wizards/witches group of kids. Look out, they may enslave you or your family as part of their senior thesis on how to enslave people."
Hey, they're not all bad! One of them was a slimy grifter which abandoned the good guys during the final battle against the evil dark wizards. It is later revealed in a short story years after the fact that he was just off screen rallying reinforcements when the author realized people needed a reason to buy Slytherin merch.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Hey, they're not all bad! One of them was a slimy grifter which abandoned the good guys during the final battle against the evil dark wizards. It is later revealed in a short story years after the fact that he was just off screen rallying reinforcements when the author realized people needed a reason to buy Slytherin merch.
It's always that and "Merlin was a Slytherin"! Merlin, the one character Rowling does not own and is essentially a throwaway footnote in a book.

Slytherins are otherwise uniformly characterized as evil and/or assholes.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
It's always that and "Merlin was a Slytherin"! Merlin, the one character Rowling does not own and is essentially a throwaway footnote in a book.

Slytherins are otherwise uniformly characterized as evil and/or assholes.
Yeah its one thing to have like a gang of asshole kids who all happen to be in Slytherin. And the idea of Slytherin being for the ambitious or cunning, again those aren't inherently bad traits.
Its that the house seems to embrace torture, racism, xenophobia and genocide on a regular basis and no one does anything about it. Slytherin is basically the Dark Wizard House, everyone knows it, and everyone is just oddly okay knowing Steve ChildSlayer-McEvilDeath, son of Charles ChildSlayer, inventor of the Child Skinner 3000, and Cruella McEvilDeath, heir to the Rape Mansion of Unending Cruelty estate and Chair of the council for legalized rape of muggles, was voted "Most likely to enslave all of Ethiopia because muggles and Africans are lesser creatures to purebloods" 3 years in a row.
And the rest of the school is just like "Yeah, that's Steve. He's in my potions class!"

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
That's a fair and true point, but (if I remember rightly) the use of Dementors at Azkaban is actually brought to an end after the books' plot.
They are, replaced by aurors.

Everything is racist, everything is homophobic, everything is sexist. You just have to twist your view of it a little.
How dare you say such a racist, homophobic, sexist thing, you horrible person!

It doesn't, because they were gonna do it.
Grindlewald was going to do it. Not "they."

You're going in an endless loop here. I can't tell if you're more mad that Grindlewald was able to infiltrate MACUSA, or that MACUSA practices capital punishment. From a storytelling perspective it's irrelevant because we're never shown how Grindie managed to impersonate Percival, we can take the writer at writ that he managed to do so. From a worldbuilding standpoint...yes, and? MACUSA practices capital punishment and segregation. No-one explicitly comments on the former, the latter is treated as a bad thing by characters (e.g. Newt) and by musical cues. We can safely assume that Grindie is working outside the bounds of the law because he's already broken the law, and doesn't tell "Steve" that he's taking characters to be executed.

Fucking hell, I've got to accept barely explained twitlongers and mobile game lore and you haven't even seen the primary source?
Says the person who's seen Rise of Skywalker and has to have basic things explained about the movie.

Anyway, the third film wasn't even relevant until you brought it up.

I hate arguing on the internet.
So do I, but here we both are.

If I had to suffer through this shit, so should you
And are you going to "suffer" through other sources, or is that all on me?

The source for *that specific claim* is pottermore and a mobile game. The line before that was "wizards thought it was amusing when the muggles tried to burn them, and some of them played along, setting themselves up to be "burned" multiple times"
First, claiming the medium type of the source is irrelevant to the source itself. If anything, Pottermore is more authorative than most sources since it's an example of "word of God."

Second, you're right in a sense, that's the original line, the lore was since expanded - the Salem Witch Trials are part of that, it also covers witch-hunts in Europe and Africa.

Even if you claim it's a retcon (it certainly made me go "wait, what? when I read it ages ago, though I wouldn't call it one), the retcon hasn't been retconned, so the current lore as it stands is that witch-hunting steadily became more intense, and explains a lot of anti-Muggle sentiment.

Never said it was, chief. Just know that the vast majority of people hated the GoT ending so much the series basically stopped being talked about
There's a lot wrong in that statement, but back to your original claim, you really think that the reason people dislike the ending of GoT is that Westeros doesn't become a democracy by the end of it?

Have you watched *that* one? Because no it fucking didn't
Yes, I have, and yes, it did.

It shows the fleet, it shows the cultists, it shows the Sith troopers. As much as I dislike Rise of Skywalker, that the cultists are Sith is explicitly confirmed, and that the fleet was on Exegol is again self-evident.

Lmao, I'm not gonna pull a Wookieepedia and start assuming videogames are explicitly canon.
That's not a Wookiepeedia thing, that's a common sense thing. If a game, or anything is published in an IP, the default position is to treat it as canon unless there's significant inconcistencies within it and/or there's explicit confirmation that it isn't.

And if videogames AREN'T explicitly canon, then I assume you're not treating Hogwarts Legacy as canon either? Because otherwise you're just picking and choosing.

Only this game, the game the thread is about.
Come on, this back and forth has barely dealt with the game, it's dealt with the IP. And if you're discussing an IP, you have to agree what canon is.

Demons do not have free will in D&D, they're created metaphysical constructs. They have flexibility in thinking to accomplish their goals, kind of, but their goals are not their own. Orcs are not a hive mind in D&D either, so that's a really fucking weird argument
The hive mind example was to distinguish between free will and hive minds in general. The demons reference was to demons in general, not DnD demons.

But by your example, if orcs have free thinking in deciding their goals, then surely that counts as free will. For instance, orcs are often depicted as monsters in various fantasy pieces (Lord of the Rings, Warhammer, etc.), all of them still have free will.

You say that people were mad that lore aspects of the setting were changed. That would require the Monster Manual to have a setting to change
Correct me if I'm wrong:

*Orcs in DnD were retconned
*People were aggravated that it happened, especially for the reasoning behind it
*Dungeons and Dragons operates on the principle of a shared multiverse, where every campaign setting is canonical, as well as homebrew settings
*Orcs being retconned in one, more, or all of these settings is, by definition, a change to the setting, because you've taken what was previously stated as fact (orcs are evil) to new canon (actually, orcs aren't all evil).