Hogwarts Legacy - Whimsical Wizardry

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
No. Sterling came out as transgender two years ago and took a massive hit to her subscribers
Sterling's channel had been bleeding subs for nearly a year before her announcement. There was a little spike in sub lost, but most of it has been gradual as Steling has bailed on 99% of the content they used to make. Now the channel only uploads Jimquisitions and the rare other content which used to be regular events on the channel, which has led to more sub lost.

Looking at the channel they have 799k subs and struggle to get 200k views on a video which means only about 30% of the subs are active and watching.

I know that people in Jim's camp like to blame the loss on an entire audience of bigots, but that's really a stupid thing to say because Jim has been collaborating with LBGT people for years, namely Laura Dale, so if the audience is so bigoted why would they not have unsubbed when Laura was a part of the content? No it's only when Jim transitioned?

No it's because straight up because Jim became a bitter angry fuck (reasonably so) after the Digital Homicide lawsuit, which cause a shift in content and the way it was presented which people didn't like. The trans-thing frankly had very little to do with why the channel is a foundering mess these days.

Reactions: Phoenixmgs

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
No. Sterling came out as transgender two years ago and took a massive hit to her subscribers
Huh, I see. I thought it was some sort of character of the overly cringe type of person done to ironically showcase the faults within the subculture like how the aristocrat was all about being a cringy elite gamer caricature.

I guess it goes to show how thin the line is between parodying cringe and actually being cringe.

Reactions: CriticalGaming

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
know that people in Jim's camp like to blame the loss on an entire audience of bigots, but that's really a stupid
It's not stupid when it's true. There are some people that unsubscribe from sterling, because of the pressing content, but I don't exactly bring those ones for doing so. Hell, some unsubscribe just to take a break from it and would come back later.

The trans-thing frankly had very little to do with why the channel is a foundering mess these days.
Talk about being indenial and that selectively oblivious. Don't bother with the pushback, cuz I won't be listening.
No it's because straight up because Jim became a bitter angry fuck (reasonably so) after the Digital Homicide lawsuit, which cause a shift in content and the way it was presented which people didn't like
DH barely had anything to do with it. Sterling was tired for a time and took a break, but it wasn't that. Not those two green dumbass brothers. Sterling is rightfully angry, but it didn't "break" . They are still fighting good fight. Besides, gaming's not their full-time thing anymore. Sterling has stated this clear a thousand times already. They have the wrestling career. They still have articles on the gym position, and they still have those videos. I'm not expecting them to pump out content 24/7 at this point. I learned that back in 2021. Fine by me. They're doing whatever makes them happy, and I don't blame them.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Talk about being indenial and that selectively oblivious. Don't bother with the pushback, cuz I won't be listening.
Yeah you don't like being questioned, I'm aware.

DH barely had anything to do with it. Sterling was tired for a time and took a break, but it wasn't that. Not those two green dumbass brothers. Sterling is rightfully angry, but it didn't "break" . They are still fighting good fight. Besides, gaming's not their full-time thing anymore. Sterling has stated this clear a thousand times already. They have the wrestling career. They still have articles on the gym position, and they still have those videos. I'm not expecting them to pump out content 24/7 at this point. I learned that back in 2021. Fine by me. They're doing whatever makes them happy, and I don't blame them.
So I'm confused, you are saying that people unsubbed and/or don't watch the Jim Sterling channel because of Jim coming out as Trans (which I don't believe to be the case). But then you are also saying that they've shifted their focus onto a completely different channel, thus less of a focus on the gaming channel and gaming in general, which would also lead to subscriber loss.

So is it because of the transition in gender or in content? I'm wondering why you are trying to imply that the audience is bigoted AND also that Jim's focus has shifted to other places.

People generally don't unsub from a channel to "take a break" from watching the content, they just don't watch and only watch when the uploader releases something to catch their interest.

Whatever man, not the point of the thread.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Is the Cursed Child even canon? And how much of an alternate reality count towards another realities character?
And with Snape...explain his treatment of Harry. Or indeed anyone else's treatment at his hands.
If the dude was a good person the entire time, why is he an abusive dick? Or is it more accurate to say Snape was always meant to be evil, and it was changed for the final few books by studio executives because he was a pretty one-dimensional character? Like Snape's "redemption" arc in the novels is that its just stated he's redeemed. He doesn't actually do anything good, its just his evil actions are retroactively called "good" actions. He was still a batshit insane, racist, evil fucker who we're just told wasn't all that bad because...
1) Snape it's kind of implied really did care for Lily being one of the first on the scene when news of the attack got out.
2) Harry is the son of literally the person Snape thinks is the biggest asshole in the world (James Potter) and the girl / woman he fell for so yeh no shit Snape is going to have some issues with Harry and what he sees Harry as representing.
3) A lot of issue is the explanation of why he was awful to people. A better one might be him pushing people away because of how hurt he felt. He felt he fucked up not realising Petigrew was the Potter's secret Keeper.

In the books Snape does do something good.
Going spoilers

Snape Kills Dumbledore because Dumbledore knows that Draco will be asked to do it or expected to do it and so Snape saves Draco from ever truly going down that dark path and killing anyone.

Snape then also tries to take out some Death Eaters during the time Harry is being moved and the Death Eaters hunting him (admittedly he screws up and hits some of the order of the Phoenix people but he still tried)

It was also Snape who delivered the Sword to Harry in the forest using his Patronus to guide Harry to it.

Reactions: Hawki

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
They need more than that. They need people and actual friends around them that actually care and needs to hear that person out, regardless of whether they're so called "friends" like the game or not. If that user's/commenter's friends actually care, they would actually listen to him or her, and not not make excuses for a game or IP they love and constantly try to justify themselves for purchasing and playing. People like that can screw off. If they brought that user in our group only just happened extra headspace or to say they have a friend that's trans, then they're not actually friends. Those types are nothing, but posers.
I dunno.

I'd say maybe not talking about the game round them, but I'd never want my friends to have to join some boycott I'm doing to stay friends or be seen as "real friends" because in this case the arguments are so petty and small fry. It really doesn't seem to be some grand stand so much as some stupid display of fealty or virtue signal. This feels like the time certain figured claimed anyone who didn't see American Sniper hated America and then another group pushed the idea if you didn't go see Selma you hated all black people.

People shouldn't have to justify their purchasing decision to people who claim to be friends.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
So is it because of the transition in gender or in content? I'm wondering why you are trying to imply that the audience is bigoted AND also that Jim's focus has shifted to other places.
Not all the audience are, but a good amount of left because of his transition or because he came out as trans. It's a fact of life; deal with it.

As for the content part, some people really did leave because it got too dark and depressing on what's ugly and wrong with the industry. Sterling has even pointed it out in his videos and some of the user comments. Their words, not mine. I'm referring to both the commenters and Sterling on the words.

Whatever man, not the point of the thread.
You're the one that brought it up in the first place and more than once made diversion points from the actual thread. You ain't innocent. Once again, you have done this more times and you care to count. You should really keep track on that and try not to act like it's not a big deal.

Yeah you don't like being questioned, I'm aware.
Only when I know it's false information and bull crap are being spread. Stop acting oblivious or get your actual information right.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
This comic will never not be relevant

My opinion, just pirate the game when it is cracked in a few days if you don't want to give the ***** money. People have pirated for less, and the developers already got a paycheck.
I stand by saying that this Hogwarts Legacy boycott is a shallow fealty display / virtue signal.
It's people mad because J.K. Rowling tweets stuff they don't like.

This isn't refusing to support a streaming service that doesn't actually offer royalties that help keep supporting artists.
This isn't choosing not to go see a film that's producers and studio cut corners that lead to the death of a woman on set.

This is people mad because J.K.Rowling uses her platform to sometimes say stuff they don't like.

Please shut up and stop saying stuff I disagree with is a bit different to Please actually pay artists and creators properly and Please don't cut corners that lead to people dying on set.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I dunno.

I'd say maybe not talking about the game round them, but I'd never want my friends to have to join some boycott I'm doing to stay friends or be seen as "real friends" because in this case the arguments are so petty and small fry. It really doesn't seem to be some grand stand so much as some stupid display of fealty or virtue signal. This feels like the time certain figured claimed anyone who didn't see American Sniper hated America and then another group pushed the idea if you didn't go see Selma you hated all black people.

People shouldn't have to justify their purchasing decision to people who claim to be friends.
Your response is not surprising, cuz you don't give a rat's ass about the person. You lack actual basic empathy and only see what you want to see. In football game or not, but true friend would have respected that person and actually least talk and asked them what was wrong and see their conversation through to the end. Not blowing them off and try to guilt Trip them immediately. Which is what the commenter's friends did. As usual, your answers are non-answers, ignore the example and evidence, full of shit, and hold no water. Don't bother responding back, because I won't be listening to you either. Because of the more the same shit.

People shouldn't have to justify their purchasing decision to people who claim to be friends
True, but too bad they did when they blew off their friend like that. By getting angry at them and getting defensive, they by and large are justifying their purchase or why they're playing the game while ignoring their friend's fears and valid concerns. Someone like you who lacks true empathy wouldn't sympathize with the actual victims, and are more than happy to side and make excuses for the abusers or the people with jackass attitudes. You've done this more times that you care to count, so don't act otherwise.

Last edited:

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I dunno how to be any clearer that this: The Rule was that You Have To Pay For Parking on Weekdays. The Exception That Proves The Rule is that Parking Is Free On Weekends. This does not mean that Every Rule Has Exceptions. If The Rule was that Parking is Free on Weekends, and the sign said You Must Pay For Parking on Weekdays, same issue.

The Rule was *never* You Must Always Pay For Parking (except for these times)
That's a whole lot of words to say some rules have no exceptions. And I still don't see how that refutes the notion that the exception (can) prove(s) the rule.

If, for instance, you get a character like Drizzt or Johnny Star, or Rusty, who come from a species that's inherently evil (or thereabouts), then the exceptions aren't disproving the rule, they're reinforcing the rule. However these characters may operate, the bulk of their species are gits, and it's established that they're gits because of the nature of their very existence.

Are humans malignant for eating cows?
Um, maybe? You could make a case for that depending on circumstances.

Are cordyceps evil?
No, becaue they lack any kind of thought.

Do you fight daily against your inherent desire to enslave others?
That's a, um, interesting insinuation. 0_0

One person doing a crime does not mean it's entire species is inherently criminal. (And it was Jack's personality that lead to it in the first place, as the Tok'ra considered the human to be an expendable asset but Jack's Never Leave Anyone Behind philosophy was judging it *hard*
I absolutely agree, but if we're talking about the goa'uld, we're talking about a species that's 99% doing evil shit, and the 1% that isn't is not doing evil shit in part due to genetic memory. Normally I wouldn't really call parasite species "evil," but in terms of plot, the goa'uld are the antagonists (or were, but the Ori are posers), from a worldbuilding standpoint, as parasites, they're usually shown to have inherent traits that from a human perspective one could call evil. And when you have a species like that, per what was discussed earlier, I can't find many examples where a species is changed that drastically. Heck, the goa'uld aren't even really changed, it's just that the 'bad' goa'uld are defeated, and the 'good' goa'uld remain an operating faction, albeit one facing extinction.

Sucks to be them I guess. :(

They have Will, but it's not any freer than a Bloodletter's
If that's the case, then why do various daemons demonstrate the ability to converse with mortals, and act as they see fit, apparently free of any higher authority?

For instance, the Changer I mentioned. Inevitably, it would have killed/enslaved the guy in the story, but when you have a daemon that talks, tortures, decides to handicap itself to have some fun (which proves its undoing), surely you'd call that free will of a sort, right?

I'm reminded of the time Movie Bob called Arkham City sexist because the thugs Catwoman fights yell sexist insults at her.
See? That's what happens when games criticism goes to the dogs!

OTOH, you get people thinking the Empire are the real heroes in Star Wars, just to make things difficult for writers.
Um, really? Because while there's numerous videos that exist that claim to show the Empire are the good guys (or other antagonists in a similar light), I've never encountered anyone who actually believes that for the Empire.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
When I was a tiny kid I once called a black person by a racial slur because I read it in an old children's book. My parents learned a very important lesson that day.
*sighs*

This reminds me of the number of times I've had to educate people (mostly from the UK) that a certain word that is considered a racist perjorative in Oz in not "okay" just because Rolf fucken-kiddy-fiddler Harris used it in a fucken song in the 50s.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
That's a whole lot of words to say some rules have no exceptions. And I still don't see how that refutes the notion that the exception (can) prove(s) the rule.

If, for instance, you get a character like Drizzt or Johnny Star, or Rusty, who come from a species that's inherently evil (or thereabouts), then the exceptions aren't disproving the rule, they're reinforcing the rule. However these characters may operate, the bulk of their species are gits, and it's established that they're gits because of the nature of their very existence.
It's establishing they're gits because they choose to be, not because it's part of their inherent nature, holy fuck

That's a, um, interesting insinuation. 0_0
Hey, humans have kept slaves for our entire history, it must be part of our inherent nature. Any human who opposes slavery is just an exception that proves the rule, right?
I absolutely agree, but if we're talking about the goa'uld, we're talking about a species that's 99% doing evil shit, and the 1% that isn't is not doing evil shit in part due to genetic memory. Normally I wouldn't really call parasite species "evil," but in terms of plot, the goa'uld are the antagonists (or were, but the Ori are posers), from a worldbuilding standpoint, as parasites, they're usually shown to have inherent traits that from a human perspective one could call evil. And when you have a species like that, per what was discussed earlier, I can't find many examples where a species is changed that drastically. Heck, the goa'uld aren't even really changed, it's just that the 'bad' goa'uld are defeated, and the 'good' goa'uld remain an operating faction, albeit one facing extinction.
Yeah, I'm just gonna refer to that Cell video and end this wild diversion, holy shit.

If that's the case, then why do various daemons demonstrate the ability to converse with mortals, and act as they see fit, apparently free of any higher authority?

For instance, the Changer I mentioned. Inevitably, it would have killed/enslaved the guy in the story, but when you have a daemon that talks, tortures, decides to handicap itself to have some fun (which proves its undoing), surely you'd call that free will of a sort, right?
Yeah, a sort of free will that lacks the free and is just the will.

Reactions: BrawlMan

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Sterling's channel had been bleeding subs for nearly a year before her announcement. There was a little spike in sub lost, but most of it has been gradual as Steling has bailed on 99% of the content they used to make. Now the channel only uploads Jimquisitions and the rare other content which used to be regular events on the channel, which has led to more sub lost.

Looking at the channel they have 799k subs and struggle to get 200k views on a video which means only about 30% of the subs are active and watching.

I know that people in Jim's camp like to blame the loss on an entire audience of bigots, but that's really a stupid thing to say because Jim has been collaborating with LBGT people for years, namely Laura Dale, so if the audience is so bigoted why would they not have unsubbed when Laura was a part of the content? No it's only when Jim transitioned?

No it's because straight up because Jim became a bitter angry fuck (reasonably so) after the Digital Homicide lawsuit, which cause a shift in content and the way it was presented which people didn't like. The trans-thing frankly had very little to do with why the channel is a foundering mess these days.
Yeah, I'm sure that's it
Huh, I see. I thought it was some sort of character of the overly cringe type of person done to ironically showcase the faults within the subculture like how the aristocrat was all about being a cringy elite gamer caricature.

I guess it goes to show how thin the line is between parodying cringe and actually being cringe.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
*sighs*

This reminds me of the number of times I've had to educate people (mostly from the UK) that a certain word that is considered a racist perjorative in Oz in not "okay" just because Rolf fucken-kiddy-fiddler Harris used it in a fucken song in the 50s.
Yeah, he's kind of lost that cultural representative role now. We're just doing background checks on Mel Gibson to see if there's anything stopping him taking on the role.