Post some godawful video game character designs

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Even the top half... Lady, you're living in a tropical beach community, why the fuck are you wearing fur?!
Opposite day.
I was more thinking along the lines of pole dancing, or causing a distraction, but there you go, she could get something done.
What she's wearing is definitely distracting!

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Even the top half... Lady, you're living in a tropical beach community, why the fuck are you wearing fur?!
Because she knows that Yuna's trip will soon take her across the world and she needs something warm. And a woman who fights with plushies and wears a belt-dress is obviously going to be practical to the extreme!

Reactions: BrawlMan

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Well suntan is partially caused by cells dying due to sun exposure, It might be possible that if you cast a cure spell on someone everytime they get a sunburn then the body never develop a suntan.
I'm sure Tidus has some magic cast on him that prevents people from slapping the taste out of his mouth for dressing like that.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
That's Annah, not Grace. Grace is a complete subversion of the normal depiction of a D&D succubus, because again.. I don't know if I said it enough but that game was actually kind of good.

[...]

Anyway, I was hoping I'd preempted this, but the problem isn't that Annah's outfit is revealing but how it tries to be revealing. It's not even the most revealing outfit in that game, and yet I didn't pick on the others because they don't have the same problem.

It's the product of a sensibility which was common at the time but retrospectively extremely cringey. It's overdesigned. It's trying too hard.
Yeah, I should have looked harder and put a touch of thought into that. There are some things one has to remember, respective to that game and its respective setting, from someone whose favorite D&D setting is Planescape: Planescape and Sigil are alien. It's supposed to be surreal, evocative, grotesque, and psychologically disorienting. If I had to think of a parallel in television, Farscape would be it by a long shot.

It's full of unecessary details and improbable features which make no sense, add nothing in terms of characterization or actively detract from it by being out of place in this character's circumstances, but which are also totally extreme and radical.
It's not tryhard, that's the entire point. We're talking about a D&D campaign setting that was inspired visually by Le Carceri, Brian Fould, M.C. Escher, Salvador Dali, and H.R. Giger. Unnecessary details, improbable features, and radicalism, are the design intent.

Now, are we picking on this aesthetic because we're ready to throw surrealism entirely out the window as an entire school of art, because the game's character design and costuming are surrealist and psychosexual, or because in this case the surrealist and psychosexual costuming happens to be on a female character? Because it seems to me like the last of those.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Admittedly, there's nothing inherently wrong with this character's punk-rocker-without-a-cause aesthetic, but the problem comes when they tried to convince us that this guy would grow up to be the Dante we know and love, which was how the game was originally marketed. And does the UK even exist in the setting?
He's got a shitty "Devil Trigger" too. A simple palette swap with red veins all over his face and red/white glowing eyes. You know your game's super mode sucks when Oneechanbara puts way more effort and though into the design.

Keep in mind that in the first picture, Oneechanbara Z2: Chaos came out in 2014 for Japan (2015 for the West). DmC (2013) came out in well....2013.

Last edited:

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
We're talking about a D&D campaign setting that was inspired visually by Le Carceri, Brian Fould, M.C. Escher, Salvador Dali, and H.R. Giger.
Rob Liefeld?

See, thank you for this point, not because I didn't understand Planescape Torment's art style, but because being specific about its influences lets me be a lot more specific about what the problem is. Annah's look is not Brian Fould, it is not Salvador Dali, it is not even H.R Giger. It is Image Comics. It is pure, unadulterated 90s bad girl comic.

I don't like the term psychosexual as a description of media. It's overused and used extremely inspecifically. I think it's a concept that can be legitimately applied to some media (like for example, the art of HR Gieger) but too often it's used to make basic horniness seem more interesting than it actually is. Liking big tits or leather outfits isn't some super deep statement. That doesn't mean it's something to be ashamed of but it doesn't deserve to be seen as anything more profound than basic horniness, and in this case I'm going to come down very hard on the side that this outfit fails the fetishwear test. It's less aesthetically pleasing than nudity.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Rob Liefeld?
Ah, well that certainly clears that up.

In a game where every male character is unrealistically proportioned, where one of them has multitudes of excessive pouches (Dak'kon), one is quite literally wearing nothing but bondage straps (Ignis), and TNO himself is an ur-example of Liefeldian male proportion, you chose to single out Annah despite the fact that by your own tacit admission her aesthetic is entirely consistent with the game's at large, because...bewbs.

Which is a 100%, certified, benevolently sexist double standard. "Big tits" is not cause for a character to have an outfit inconsistent with the setting and aesthetic direction. The costume is supposed to be grotesque, and it is. Grace being the exception, which you correctly pointed out, as her characterization subverts the tropes associated with what she is.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I never played the game but this one lady from Star Ocean 5.

I have nothing against sexy designs but hmm. What is this.
Seriously, what the hell is this? I don't even.
Her design fails so hard at being a sexy mage/witch. Here's a better version of that.

Magilou - Tales of Berseria

Last edited:
Reactions: NerfedFalcon

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Ok, here's one from Virtue's Last Reward:

Yes, she wears nothing but an open shirt and a necklace. No, nobody in the game ever comments on that.