Funny events in anti-woke world

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Scottish contraction of turnips. Neeps and tatties = turnips and potatoes.
It's also worth pointing out I think turnip can be used to refer to both turnips proper and swede (/rutabaga), which is a related plant. Most British people actually eat swede, not turnip.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
It's also worth pointing out I think turnip can be used to refer to both turnips proper and swede (/rutabaga), which is a related plant. Most British people actually eat swede, not turnip.
Yeah, I live in Cornwall and that is a thing here, though I didn't encounter it before I moved here.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023

I guess this has been coming for quite a while, as Scott Adams has long been on the verge of overstepping public sensibilities for a while, because he'd rather be a gobby old white man.

I'm not terribly bothered by the idea of Scott Adams not bringing in any more revenue - after all, he's retirement age and has already made more money than the vast majority of the population: he's hardly going to be thrust into penury. On the other hand, I don't think that's going to happen, either. Dilbert is still going to have an audience, and there's plenty of money to be made touting anti-woke (just take a look at Alex Jones) for anyone who fancies a few bucks.

I'm particularly not interested in the bleating about "My reputation for the rest of my life is destroyed. You can’t come back from this." Well Scott, maybe you should have thought about that first, and if you did and yet chose to do it anyway (no doubt safe on the cushion of the many, many millions you have already earned) you don't have much reason to complain. (I actually think you can come back from it: delete your video, explain you screwed up and apologise, for a start.) Take some goddamn responsibility, and stop playing the victim because you did something stupid, inconsiderate or offensive.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland

I guess this has been coming for quite a while, as Scott Adams has long been on the verge of overstepping public sensibilities for a while, because he'd rather be a gobby old white man.

I'm not terribly bothered by the idea of Scott Adams not bringing in any more revenue - after all, he's retirement age and has already made more money than the vast majority of the population: he's hardly going to be thrust into penury. On the other hand, I don't think that's going to happen, either. Dilbert is still going to have an audience, and there's plenty of money to be made touting anti-woke (just take a look at Alex Jones) for anyone who fancies a few bucks.

I'm particularly not interested in the bleating about "My reputation for the rest of my life is destroyed. You can’t come back from this." Well Scott, maybe you should have thought about that first, and if you did and yet chose to do it anyway (no doubt safe on the cushion of the many, many millions you have already earned) you don't have much reason to complain. (I actually think you can come back from it: delete your video, explain you screwed up and apologise, for a start.) Take some goddamn responsibility, and stop playing the victim because you did something stupid, inconsiderate or offensive.
As always, it's dumb versus dumb, in a dumb world. The statement that ignited this is not THAT horrendous, as it's phrased as a hypothetical ("if this then that", implying that "if not this then not that" - all it demands is a clarification and reassurance about a -probably obvious- "not this"). And the martyrology is also exaggerated : indeed, the guy is not in danger of being "destroyed", also the vast majority of his own public hardly knows he exists or what are his stances (nerds over-estimates what the general public is aware of and cares for, and under-estimate how much it's this general public who drives the machine : most moviegoers don't know the name of the director of the film they watch, most comic strip readers don't memorise the author's name, etc...). And even if he goes full KKK, he'll always have well paid platforms for that. So much empty noise.

As if Dilbert wasn't already boring enough. 👀

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
(just take a look at Alex Jones) for anyone who fancies a few bucks.
And then Jones lost all that money and has to pay back a 1000 fold, because of the lawsuit. So some people ain't always exactly bulletproof nor siding up with the racist, sexists, anti-whatever paranoid conspiracy theorists will constantly save you. Trump was more than happy to drop AJ's ass when it was convenient and the butt-fuck was no longer useful.

Last edited:
Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
And then Jones lost all that money and has to pay back a 1000 fold, because of the lawsuit. So some people ain't always exactly bulletproof nor siding up with the racist, sexists, anti-whatever paranoid conspiracy theorists will constantly save you. Trump was more than happy to drop AJ's ass when it was convenient and the butt-fuck no longer useful.
People like Alex Jones never lose (all) their money: there are too many loopholes and tricks they can use to tuck assets away in places no-one will get it. In all likelihood he can live in great comfort to his dying day, even if it's a lot less comfort than the extravagance he once enjoyed.

And to be fair, you have really have screw up in spectacular magnitude to get nailed for your money like AJ did. There's plenty of room for much more modest shitbaggery.

Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
People like Alex Jones never lose (all) their money: there are too many loopholes and tricks they can use to tuck assets away in places no-one will get it. In all likelihood he can live in great comfort to his dying day, even if it's a lot less comfort than the extravagance he once enjoyed.
Not the point I was exactly making, but he still fucked up. Yeah, he has back up money, but the courts want that too last I checked. The biatch constantly cries and is miserable, so I consider it a big plus. No one is coming to help or save him. Whatever dying days he has left, won't matter much in the end.
And to be fair, you have really have screw up in spectacular magnitude to get nailed for your money like AJ did. There's plenty of room for much more modest shitbaggery.
Exactly. It's infuriating he lasted this long, but Jones actions caught up to him.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

The funny thing is that he thinks he shouldn't suffer consequences for something he said, but he also thinks that black people should suffer consequences because of one poll.

Reactions: Absent

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
If it makes people in the UK feel better, I predict the Conservatives will lose to labor based on how crap they are at governing and the aftershocks of Brexit. I know pretty obvious but hey at least you guys get a soc dem party vs whatever the democrats are right now.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008

There's a whole twitter thread about this, but it can be summed up with "What an idiot."

If it makes people in the UK feel better, I predict the Conservatives will lose to labor based on how crap they are at governing and the aftershocks of Brexit. I know pretty obvious but hey at least you guys get a soc dem party vs whatever the democrats are right now.
So you think.

Reactions: BrawlMan and Absent

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016

There's a whole twitter thread about this, but it can be summed up with "What an idiot."

So you think.

Yeah but Therese Coffey.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Fucking hell, but that guy seems as thick as two short planks. He can't be that stupid, because he surely has at least some savvy considering his internet success and all, but even still...

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
He can't be that stupid, because he surely has at least some savvy considering his internet success and all, but even still...
You'd think so, but...ok, a crimson5phoenix has swooped in to provide counter examples while I was typing, and I might also mention the possibility of him starting to believe his own lies.