Funny events in anti-woke world

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Never pledge loyalty to a billionaire. There's a reason they're a billionaire and it's not because they're smart
It always bemuses how people like him always manage to attrack such diehard stans; even though time and again it's proven that getting stabbed in the back is not a matter of if, but of when.

Never care for the rich and powerful. They will never do the same for you.

Last edited:

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
I will keep saying this: there is no ethical way to make a billion dollars. You have to cut throats to reach those levels.
If you cut a billionnaire's head off it releases the trapped souls of the 999 millionnaires they consumed to achieve their rank.

I'm pretty sure that's how it works, anyway.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Never pledge loyalty to a billionaire. There's a reason they're a billionaire and it's not because they're smart
Never pledge loyalty to any employer - except, maybe, a relatively small business with a soft-hearted boss. Employers don't give much loyalty back.

One other thing I would say about the upper ranks of any business is they tend to be extraordinarily hardworking overchievers, and I think they can have a problem understanding why so many of their employees aren't like that. My personal view is that most humans are not wildly ambitious, don't much want great power and money: they want a comfortable, fulfilling, happy life. They don't get that slogging away 60h a week in a fraught and excessively demanding workplace, much to the frustration of many of the world's movers and shakers. In a world where employment regulations are there are limits on exploitation, the aim of many less scrupulous bosses, therefore, is to create conditions whereby they can encourage employees to volunteer themselves for exploitation, often with accompanying stress and toxic work environment. The workers would be better off finding a new job.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
One other thing I would say about the upper ranks of any business is they tend to be extraordinarily hardworking overchievers, and I think they can have a problem understanding why so many of their employees aren't like that. My personal view is that most humans are not wildly ambitious, don't much want great power and money: they want a comfortable, fulfilling, happy life. They don't get that slogging away 60h a week in a fraught and excessively demanding workplace, much to the frustration of many of the world's movers and shakers.
Interestingly, I have a friend who owns a bar. He evangelizes the entrepreneurial lifestyle, but it's still a serious blind spot of his that he can't seem to wrap his head around what you've just described.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
.My personal view is that most humans are not wildly ambitious, don't much want great power and money: they want a comfortable, fulfilling, happy life.
Most of us are realists. If everything is based on top down hierarchical structures most people have to not be "successful". Perfectly happy to be adequate, just want a reasonably comfortable life in exchange for working.

Reactions: Ag3ma

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Most of us are realists. If everything is based on top down hierarchical structures most people have to not be "successful". Perfectly happy to be adequate, just want a reasonably comfortable life in exchange for working.
I'm thinking a little of the excerable "Britannia Unchained", written by some Tory right wingers about 10 years ago (including such political luminaries as Priti Patel, Dominic Raab and Liz Truss) where amongst other things they basically complain that the British are lazy, and need some more work ethic like the Chinese.

If one's vision is purely as a leader measuring national GDP as the only thing that matters, I sort of get their point. Imagine how productive and powerful the UK could be if everyone worked 50% more. It'd also be an incredibly unhappy and ill country - that is to say, more unhappy and ill than it already is. They seem to miss that the dream since the grinding, slogging misery of work in the Victorian era is that people want to have comfortable lives on less work. In the first half of the 20th century, economists like Keynes believed that we might only have to work 20h weeks, and how much fun and personal development we could have with that spare time. Now, those guys understood what most people wanted out of life. And indeed, the average hours worked have declined for decades, and a lot of that is people on higher earnings who realise that they can go down to 4, 3 or 2 days a week and meet all their needs.

However, this idea is obviously an anathema to the elites, because us not working is them not earning capital gains and paying taxes for their tanks and MP expenses.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
However, this idea is obviously an anathema to the elites, because us not working is them not earning capital gains and paying taxes for their tanks and MP expenses.
Which is why they love the modern equivalent to the "protestant work ethic". The hustle culture grindset. People convincing themselves that trhe only valuable thing they can do is work. Feel bad, there's going to be a LOT of millenials and gen z who work themselves absolutely ragged without even homeownership to show for it.

Reactions: Ag3ma and Buyetyen

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
She expected a psychopath to reward her loyalty. There isn't enough any human being can do to satisfy that type.

Billionaires literally cannot understand the idea of "enough". The rest of us, if we managed to scrape together a few million bucks, would fuck off and spend the rest of our lives in comparative luxury- but people like Musk and Bezos can't do that; they can't feel comfortable until they have everything.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Billionaires literally cannot understand the idea of "enough". The rest of us, if we managed to scrape together a few million bucks, would fuck off and spend the rest of our lives in comparative luxury- but people like Musk and Bezos can't do that; they can't feel comfortable until they have everything.
A lot of high ranking businesspeople do score high on narcissism / psychopathy.

One thing frequently claimed is that the higher echelons must be paid well otherwise they won't be bothered working and we lose their talents. (As opposed to the lower echelons, who need to be paid badly to force the lazy swines to work.) This strikes me as a load of gobshite nonsense. Someone with an intense passion for a job is going to do it anyway, and doesn't care so much about the money. Secondly, is someone driven to amass wealth and power really going to be put off bothering because the upper rate tax is 70-80% rather than 50%? Of course they fucking aren't. They still need to do that work and earn that money to get ahead: they just get less ahead than they'd like. The whole bullshit argument was cooked up to justify society taxing them less.

The argument for lower taxes might stand that more income for investors supports more investment supports more technological advances and productivity increases. On the other hand, decades of decreases in the highest tax bands are correlated with a decline in GDP growth, so it's not like the evidence is obvious.