Hogwarts Legacy - Whimsical Wizardry

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
I didn't say find and look for everything, just keep digging and yourself in the know. You do have time, you just don't want to do it. I don't exactly blame you, but don't use it as an excuse to keep yourself ignorant. The whole "I don't know about this" excuse ain't gonna cut it anymore. You are once again (partially) making excuses thinking you won't change anything. With this knowledge, you can protect others and those you associate with that are victims of systematic abuse. I don't want to hear otherwise, but how "you can't". Not up for debate. Just remember; I gave you a heads up and the info you were ignorant of and completely lacked.
Be honest, do you even do that ? Do you know details about white nationalists in Turkey, Denmark and Brazil and what their current talking points are? Do you think that that knowledge would be practically helpful for you in your daily life ?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Be honest, do you even do that ?
I don't keep up with every single one, but I have no problems learning. Better than living through ignorance and assuming everything is fine or not as bad. I can handle the truth.

Do you know details about white nationalists in Turkey, Denmark and Brazil and what their current talking points are?
Same shit, different country and different day. I admit I don't know about Brazil's case, but heard some of Turkey & Denmark's problem. It's been too long though. I do know about this:

I never claimed to know everything, but try not to intentionally keep myself in the dark. Since you know something, why don't you teach me or show me? I got some time to spare later on.

Do you think that that knowledge would be practically helpful for you in your daily life ?
Yes. Deal with it.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
I never claimed to know everything, but try not to intentionally keep myself in the dark. Since you know something, why don't you teach me or show me? I got some time to spare later on.
I certainly don't keep myself intentionally in the dark. I know far more about the American situation as nearly everyone around me. Which has much to do with being fluent in English.

But ok, where to begin. I think i better only talk about Germany in case i am mistaken about other countries. Primary sources are better for stuff lke that.

Germany has Neo-Nazis. They are not a particularly coherent branch and they make intensive use off dog-whistles. Mostly because Germany has limited free speach in that matter. They sometimes also substitute Imperial German symbols for the forbidden Nazi ones, which is kinda stupid. Not a super interestin bunch but can be quite violent. General taking points are "Nazis were not really bad/it's all allied/jewish lies", also holocaust denial.

Then there are Reichsbürger, a paralel organisation to your Souverain citizens. Do believe that the modern German nation is some kind of hoax and that they should follow some king etc. Big overlap with conspiracy theories, very big on heritage and sometimes a bit esoteric. More common in the Western part. Until a couple of years ago they were regarded as harmless weirdos, but they have radicalized recently and there have weapon stashes been found. Now they are considered quite dangerous.

But the majority of right-wing white nationalist are all about immigrants and how they don't want them. They don't keep enough distance to the Nazis but don't regard themselves as part. In a sense "white nationalist" is not a good moniker as they don't care about the "white" at all. Mostly because the immigrant minorities they particularly don't like are also White. The Germans never really adopted the idea of "Brown" people that is so common in the anglosphere and regard the average Turc, Iranian, Arab or Indian etc. as White. It's basically about German and non-German instead. And for them German is only someone with German parents and majority of grandparents. Talking points are "They are all just freeloaders and criminals", sometimes you find variants of the replacement nonsense.

Most of the time there has been at least one far right party. Sometimes they even got in parliaments but so far they never got in any kind of gouvernment coalition. As real Nazi parties would be forbidden, they all tried to maintain some distance but it was once at least close enough to trigger a court case. They still get the Nazi votes of course.

As for migrant minorities of note, there are still differences between the western and eastern part. East Germany was pretty closed off from the world in many ways and has had far less migrants. Those it did have did come from other friendly comunist countries, especially Vietnam. Western Germany was far more cosmopolitan But it did invite many migrant workers who were meant to go back afterwards. Which they didn't do, leading to huge migrant communities that were not super welcome and were discriminated against. Primarily those were Italians and Turks. Around two or three decades ago the discrimination against Italians kinda stopped but not the one against the Turks. After the Unification there was a huge Influx of Russians with German ancestral roots. Most of them settled in the eastern part, where they were better received than in the west. The next huge Group were the refugees from Syria of which Germany took in quite a lot. They mostly struggle with Islamophobia. And the most recent group are obviously refugees from the Ukraine. They are not discriminated against much but they occasionally have problems with the earlier mentioned Russo-Germans who often still only speak Russian and consume Russian news. As for other Problems between differnt groups, there is regularly something between Turks and Kurds.
There is no huge black minority. Black people are around 1% of the population. A surprising number is ex-US military who was stationed here and found it better than in the US. It seems that especially in the west and a couple decades ago, every black person was assumed to be US military. Many other come directly from different African countries.

Antisemitism does exist but the majority seems to come from the Arab minority. Aside from that conspiracy theory circles as always. And of course the Neo-Nazis. Though it seems that some of them nowadays prefer jews to arabs. Probably because the Arabs are more and more visible and more foreign.

Oh yea, and there is the history of the German colonies. Generally everyone wants to forget everything about it. It is seen as an historical embarressment. Not even the white nationalists are proud of the short-lived colonial empire.

Hmmm... it is not very detailed but should be enough as overview.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Also assumed that the Critical Race Theory stuff was more about structural disadvantages today, not about slavery.
Critical race theory is difficult.

Like, I don't like to go particularly deeply into CRT because I don't have the depth of reading required. I can do postcolonial theory to a degree, which is definitely related, but CRT is a university level thing. I think to their credit, academics working in CRT seem much more invested in making their work accessible to an audience of undergraduates than postcolonial theorists who expect everyone to have read all the French philosophy they have, but it's not an easy topic to understand.

But in terms of the "controversy" around CRT (which I don't think really has anything to do with CRT at all) slavery does play a huge role.

This video is very long, but the guy presenting it is a former schoolteacher and one thing I like is that he talks very openly about the way school curricula create a "standard" idea of the history of a country (if you're going to watch one part of it, watch the "standard American history myth" section).

This isn't a particularly American problem, that view of American history is downright nuanced compared to what British schoolchildren get taught about their own history. But it is a problem for the idea of American exceptionalism, because American culture has always had and still seems to have this very strong belief that America is different from all other countries, that it was founded as a special place free from the oppression and misery of the "old world." A lot of white Americans seem to be incredibly invested in that idea, and the idea that slavery is an authentic expression of the historical American character and culture, rather than an unfortunate accident that all these heroic white people had to work to get rid of, seems to be deeply upsetting to a lot of white people.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Germany has Neo-Nazis. They are not a particularly coherent branch and they make intensive use off dog-whistles. Mostly because Germany has limited free speach in that matter. They sometimes also substitute Imperial German symbols for the forbidden Nazi ones, which is kinda stupid. Not a super interestin bunch but can be quite violent. General taking points are "Nazis were not really bad/it's all allied/jewish lies", also holocaust denial.
So I've heard. Guess what? There are American who do the same here. Holocaust deniers and all Jews lie bullshit.

But the majority of right-wing white nationalist are all about immigrants and how they don't want them. They don't keep enough distance to the Nazis but don't regard themselves as part. In a sense "white nationalist" is not a good moniker as they don't care about the "white" at all. Mostly because the immigrant minorities they particularly don't like are also White. The Germans never really adopted the idea of "Brown" people that is so common in the anglosphere and regard the average Turc, Iranian, Arab or Indian etc. as White. It's basically about German and non-German instead. And for them German is only someone with German parents and majority of grandparents. Talking points are "They are all just freeloaders and criminals", sometimes you find variants of the replacement nonsense.
I've heard about that too, and learned about it from Monster. Sure, some of them don't care about the "white", but it might as well be the same difference, if said foreign person or immigrant is dark-skinned or of different ethnicity. If and when attacked, that person is of different ethnicity or dark-skinned color those on the US/outside of Germany will see it for what is. Racism and toxic nationalism of a slightly different flavor. Same shit, different day.

Antisemitism does exist but the majority seems to come from the Arab minority. Aside from that conspiracy theory circles as always. And of course the Neo-Nazis. Though it seems that some of them nowadays prefer jews to arabs. Probably because the Arabs are more and more visible and more foreign.
Totem pole philosophy. They're only okay with the Jews or others on their racist and bigoted terms. Some races are "okay/cool" while others are not because of their skin color, gender, or religion. The Arabas are the bottom of the totem pole to those Nazis.
Not even the white nationalists are proud of the short-lived colonial empire.
You've given me a lot, and it's better than nothing.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
I do know about this:
Americans thinking they are the center of the universe and disrespecting Europeans. What else is new?
The Germans never really adopted the idea of "Brown" people that is so common in the anglosphere and regard the average Turk, Iranian, Arab or Indian etc. as White.
That's one thing Germany and Finland certainly don't have in common. It's hard to even imagine for a normal person to think like that, much less a proud racist or an anti-immigration supporter. Generally the idea of 'passport nationalism' or civic nationalism (instead of an ethnic one) seems pretty benign, especially if naughty immigrants are in the news again.

OT: I was confident the Denuvo would hold a little longer. Too bad the crackteam might've been driven by petty culture war perspectives.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
You should sit down. You are an authority on nothing, especially if you curate yourself on some meme podcast.
I never said I was nor implied it. Check yourself before you wreck yourself. Seems like you're the doing right now and talking about yourself. How about sit your happy butt somewhere else, and leave it to those who know what they're talking about? You ain't one of them.

Martin and Korey aren't perfect, but they sure as hell know the issues of racism and social issues across the states and the globe. They live and learn like anyone else. Racism is racism. Excusing blackface, no matter the country, is wrong and sickening. If you wanna make excuses for Belgium's "tradition", then you're only further proving their point. It's not okay for Americans, but it's "okay" for other countries to practice it because "honoring tradition" or they're are "different from us and we should respect it". Silence those that are actually hurt, have a problem, or making a huge point. You can't shut them up, and you can't shut me up! A reminder, I am black.

I trust them more than I trust you, or someone who goes into blackface and doesn't see the issues and why it's wrong.

Don't like it? Go cry somewhere else about it.

Last edited:

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA

A giant fuck you to all of you that defended this shit and the people that did it. Congrats. You just made tens of thousands of enemies to whatever cause you thought you were championing. Once again, fuck you.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
I never said I was nor implied [authority].
That's great. So you understand that if somebody dismisses your comment or two, it's probably because the content in them sucks. You add borderline insane connections into the discussion you're having, like today with white nationalism and Belgian Black Pete. There is no point to be made there, since it's in your head only.

The character is fine in a carnival setting. They can always update the look, because it's a once per year thing.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Rambling bullcrap that has nothing to do with anything and making pathetic excuses for racism.
Good to know. You been doing nothing but existing in your whole head space right now. Have fun with that.

Last edited:

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
A giant fuck you to all of you that defended this shit and the people that did it. Congrats. You just made tens of thousands of enemies to whatever cause you thought you were championing. Once again, fuck you.
Dude, you were never an ally. Quit with the concern trolling.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Did anyone in this thread ever do that?

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Unless you're against any criticism of how art uses slavery i doubt this is a good faith response.

You should just straight out say what's worth defending with this world's take on the issue rather than go "You just want to ban slavery from media"..

I'd enslaved people in fallout 3. Harry potter's take on the issue is still stupid.

The fact the best defense is the implicitly claim only white liberals read it as slavery when they absolutely are not the only ones even among potter fans only shows how shallow and kneejerky these defenses are.

One suspects you're only triyng to defend the kids adventures plot from assocation rather than really defending the parts of the books. Just realize enjoyment can be conditional and move on.
See I have a feeling that this "criticism of how art uses slavery" would be like criticism of the Ameglian Major Cow being made by a staunch Vegan who accuses people of murder for having leather shoes.