Ukraine

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
So this is a thing now. Russia, are you okay over there?

On the one hand, a gun is a gun and we still use the M2 Browning from the end of WW1. On the other hand, this is very much "last gasp of the third reich" kitbashing.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
On the one hand, a gun is a gun and we still use the M2 Browning from the end of WW1. On the other hand, this is very much "last gasp of the third reich" kitbashing.
The funny thing is, that would possibly be a cool idea....in 1916, because then your cannons could get better range and maybe shoot down into the trenches you were lumbering towards. Here it's just "Hey, look, I put a conspicuous tower/turret on top of my armored tractor that can be seen from kilometers away and provides an excellent target for actual tanks to shoot at".

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
The funny thing is, that would possibly be a cool idea....in 1916, because then your cannons could get better range and maybe shoot down into the trenches you were lumbering towards. Here it's just "Hey, look, I put a conspicuous tower/turret on top of my armored tractor that can be seen from kilometers away and provides an excellent target for actual tanks to shoot at".

Given the choice between that abortion and a Toyota Landcruiser with a rocket pod inexpertly welded onto the back tray...

Yeah, I'm getting in the Landcruiser.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Given the choice between that abortion and a Toyota Landcruiser with a rocket pod inexpertly welded onto the back tray...

Yeah, I'm getting in the Landcruiser.
Command and Conquer Generals has you covered.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
On the one hand, a gun is a gun and we still use the M2 Browning from the end of WW1.
I was going to say that, though the M2 was developed a little after WW1. And the old vehicles they are using seem to be vehicles of an old design, that are still used by various other forces around the world, not the same thing.

And the article compares them unfavourably to a Ukranian vehicle, but gives no reason to suggest they are supposed to fill the same role. I strongly suspect the Russian vehicles could be useful if used correctly, but then I've no reason to assume they would be.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Command and Conquer Generals has you covered.
Real life has me covered. I dunno who first thought bolting an aircraft rocket pod onto the tray of a ute (pick up for you seppos) was a good idea... probably someone who saw all the ones with recoilless rifles and though "Bah, I can do better!"

Got to be a wild fucken 30 seconds firing the pod off.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Real life has me covered. I dunno who first thought bolting an aircraft rocket pod onto the tray of a ute (pick up for you seppos) was a good idea... probably someone who saw all the ones with recoilless rifles and though "Bah, I can do better!"
Possibly inspired by the Soviet vehicle mounted multiple rocket launchers used in WW2?

As an aside, during the Falklands War, the Argentinians used an aircraft rocket pod as an emplaced weapon, sticking in on top of a slide in a playground to give it some height.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Someone being sent into battle equipped as well as Donatello quite likely has happened already, in all seriousness.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
The ongoing Bakhmut shitshow.

The ongoing Wagner Shitshow.

Yeah, it's looking like that joke I've been making about Russia being a Feudal State with Nukes isn't really a joke.

If Russia collapses into Civil War, it'll probably look something like the War Economy in MGS4 with Oligarch PMCs fighting each other.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Last edited: