The GameStop Experience

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
@Elvis Starburst

"The system's fucked, dude."

The system isn't so much fucked as people are. The family has been broken, which has led to single parenting and social media raising people which leads to nothing good.

" What's next? "Don't like your job? Just quit" says those who don't have a single clue as to why that may be impossible for some."

Liking your job is irrelevant. Are you good at it? Does it have a career path? Can you improve your situation doing it? Nobody says you have to Like anything. Liking your job is a fucking childish dream.

" "Don't like the cost of living? Just move!" says those who ignore the cost of even doing such a thing, let alone even comprehend the ways that can backfire on the other end. "

Nobody likes the cost of living. Again its a magical My Little Pony universe where everything is affordable by everyone and we all drive Ferrarri's with jobs we love. Cost of living is a factor that exists everywhere, cheaper places to live also have jobs that pay lower wages in the first place and higher income positions are even harder to come by. Also factor in that lower cost of living is because it's an undesirable environment for living. The reason why the cost of living on a beach is high is because it's lovely and the weather is mostly awesome.

" But of course, it's easier to blame young people, call them entitled, and tell them they could have it better if they just applied themselves... instead of confronting the system that's built the world to be this way, and pushed hundreds of millions of people into situations they can't easily get out of "

It's easier to point the figure at the "system" than to point the finger at your own lazy ass to explain why your life sucks. This is the attitude of expecting the world to tkae care of you instead of going out there and taking care of yourself. People with this mindset have no idea the level of work and hardship trying to build and entirely new economic system and putting into effect would take. Not to mention people who think that there still wouldn't be 1%er's are deluding themselves.

People don't understand how wealth really works. They think that rich people just have jobs that pay them too much money for no reason and that's not really how that shit works. Really wealthy people have relatively little money, what they have are assets, investments, companies, passive incomes that allow them to have whatever they want. They understand how to use money to make more money without actually having a shitload of money themselves. It's so much more complex than people point and get mad at, and because they don't understand is why they are "poor".

There are so many reasons as to why people are in "bad shape" financially, from consumer credit card debit, not investing, not having a retirement fund, not being able to save money, frivelous spending on pointless shit (look at you people who wait in line at Starbucks every day).

It's a much more complicated picture than saying "Oh the system's broken". The system is fine, people are broken.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Is there a tl;dl version for me not spending the greater part of an hour listening to these people (who I am utterly familar with, despite your wording making it seem like I would be)
Just watch the first video. It's only 14 minutes long. The stories they are sharing are almost similar to yours. Though in some of their cases, they had it worse than you or me, for that matter. My experiences never came close to any of the whole, "let's take out a new game, use it, then put it back like nothing happened, and still charge as new". That's just devious and wrong.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
People don't understand how wealth really works. They think that rich people just have jobs that pay them too much money for no reason and that's not really how that shit works. Really wealthy people have relatively little money, what they have are assets, investments, companies, passive incomes that allow them to have whatever they want. They understand how to use money to make more money without actually having a shitload of money themselves. It's so much more complex than people point and get mad at, and because they don't understand is why they are "poor".
Ah, there it is- the defense of corrupt power.
That's why these discussion go nowhere. You're gonna defend the status quo and be mad at those that won't. You're gonna say "that's the way it is" as if it's a force of nature when it doesn't have to be. This shit has been going on since well even before Voltaire's "best of all possible world" treatises, a position that looks sillier and sillier when the worst shit-people get more and more power.

I used to think like you, then I lived and observed the world around me. You know the stereotype of young idealists growing up and becoming more conservative when reality hits? Well the opposite happens, too. It really boggles my mind how anyone that lived through 2007-2008 still defends modern global capitalism.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
What’s this @ nonsense?

Liking your job is irrelevant. Are you good at it? Does it have a career path? Can you improve your situation doing it? Nobody says you have to Like anything. Liking your job is a fucking childish dream.
The “Don’t like your job? Just quit” is a simple dismissive term people use to ignore a large amount of problems someone brings up regarding their job. People don’t just dislike their job for no reason, yet those who happily dismiss these problems like it’s the fault of the other say this phrase. You don’t have to like your job, but there’s a difference between just not being into the kind of work, or disliking it cause of a very real problem regarding it, where leaving said job might introduce more problems than there is currently.

Nobody likes the cost of living.
Well no shit. But can you honestly tell me the serious degree of inflation in things like grocery costs over the past few years was cause these companies genuinely couldn’t afford to keep up any more without raising the costs, despite record breaking profits quarter after quarter after doing so?

It's easier to point the figure at the "system" than to point the finger at your own lazy ass to explain why your life sucks. This is the attitude of expecting the world to tkae care of you instead of going out there and taking care of yourself. People with this mindset have no idea the level of work and hardship trying to build and entirely new economic system and putting into effect would take. Not to mention people who think that there still wouldn't be 1%er's are deluding themselves.

There are so many reasons as to why people are in "bad shape" financially, from consumer credit card debit, not investing, not having a retirement fund, not being able to save money, frivelous spending on pointless shit (look at you people who wait in line at Starbucks every day).

It's a much more complicated picture than saying "Oh the system's broken". The system is fine, people are broken.
Boot straps, got it. Not even 40 and you sounds like Bernard Marcus

Reactions: BrawlMan

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
That's why these discussion go nowhere. You're gonna defend the status quo and be mad at those that won't. You're gonna say "that's the way it is" as if it's a force of nature when it doesn't have to be.
5E38BBD7-9041-44E5-8237-0B4B2A3181B8.jpeg

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
The “Don’t like your job? Just quit” is a simple dismissive term people use to ignore a large amount of problems someone brings up regarding their job. People don’t just dislike their job for no reason, yet those who happily dismiss these problems like it’s the fault of the other say this phrase. You don’t have to like your job, but there’s a difference between just not being into the kind of work, or disliking it cause of a very real problem regarding it, where leaving said job might introduce more problems than there is currently.
The statement also comes from people complaining about their job the same way everyone complains. Everyone has a shitty boss, everyone has annoying co-workers, every job has annoying shit to deal with. So a lot of that "Don't like it, then quit" remarks are just people tired of hearing the same complaints from every person on the planet.

Everything is relative too, you might think your boss is a pain in the ass, and your boss probably hates their boss the same way, all the way up to the CEO where they're annoyed by dumbass investors who don't know how the fucking business works asking for more profits.

How is that corrupt power? Wealth is not corruption. Being successful doesn't make you corrupt. What even is this nonsense attitude?

There are certainly things that could and should change, especially regarding government and the choices people in power make that fuck us over. If you wanna sit around waiting for the system to improve or change, good luck to you. Let me know how that works out for you.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
This is true in the sense that people created the bloody system and wracked it with flawed mentalities. Also I generally get a chuckle out of the “liking one’s job” bit. There’s always at least some level of delusion there when people say that, unless the job doesn’t involve a mind numbing routine or any kind of stress. How many people who say they love playing video games for example would still love them after a few years under a game tester environment, regardless of pay. And that’s a pretty Cush example, because most careers by default aren’t nearly as fun as video games in the first place.

Personally I think perhaps being a food/taste tester would come closest to career happiness, but only if I could choose the cuisine.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Personally I think perhaps being a food/taste tester would come closest to career happiness, but only if I could choose the cuisine.
Naw there are a lot of jobs that people can love forever. Like being Metallica is probably pretty cool. Actors, artists, things like that. But the key thing to remember about jobs like that is that they take this crazy little thing called Talent. And most of us don't have talents people want to pay for. Just saying I can fart my ABC's, but nobody's paying me for it.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
That's why these discussion go nowhere. You're gonna defend the status quo and be mad at those that won't. You're gonna say "that's the way it is" as if it's a force of nature when it doesn't have to be. This shit has been going on since well even before Voltaire's "best of all possible world" treatises, a position that looks sillier and sillier when the worst shit-people get more and more power.

I used to think like you, then I lived and observed the world around me. You know the stereotype of young idealists growing up and becoming more conservative when reality hits? Well the opposite happens, too. It really boggles my mind how anyone that lived through 2007-2008 still defends modern global capitalism.
The laws in our countries are set up to benefit certain assest classes. The laws for our countries were... written by those owning those assest classes

Then people wonder why they are rich. They wrote the laws so they can be rich. It's been deliberately broken from the start

Reactions: Elvis Starburst

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Naw there are a lot of jobs that people can love forever. Like being Metallica is probably pretty cool. Actors, artists, things like that. But the key thing to remember about jobs like that is that they take this crazy little thing called Talent. And most of us don't have talents people want to pay for. Just saying I can fart my ABC's, but nobody's paying me for it.
If you are a business owner, capitalism obliges to not pay people. It's got nothing to do with talent. Business owners want everything for free. They will say everything is worthless just so they can get it for free.

When business owners complains about lesser people getting social security etc, it's not about the business owner paying for it... Because god knows, they dont pay taxes. They are angry that someone else is getting what they have. That's unfair

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
If you are a business owner, capitalism obliges to not pay people. It's got nothing to do with talent. Business owners want everything for free. They will say everything is worthless just so they can get it for free.

When business owners complains about lesser people getting social security etc, it's not about the business owner paying for it... Because god knows, they dont pay taxes. They are angry that someone else is getting what they have. That's unfair
Now you're just being vindictive over extreme articles.

I pay $25/hr for my warehouse, and we pay a shitload of tax, i personally pay a shitload of taxes, and despite running my own business i live in a studio apartment and drive a Nissan. I'm not exactly living large.

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Also I generally get a chuckle out of the “liking one’s job” bit. There’s always at least some level of delusion there when people say that, unless the job doesn’t involve a mind numbing routine or any kind of stress.
There's always going to be jobs where you kinda gotta just turn your brain off. But I like to believe that we don't have to resign ourselves to the idea that a job is something we have to feel miserable about.

The laws in our countries are set up to benefit certain assest classes. The laws for our countries were... written by those owning those assest classes

Then people wonder why they are rich. They wrote the laws so they can be rich. It's been deliberately broken from the start
No no, see, you're got it backwards. It's the people in the lower classes that are doing it wrong and not getting themselves to that level, obviously

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
For me preorders are still valid but only if you have physical goods like an artbook or a figurine or a keychain. Stuff like that. But I get em from amazon anyways.

DerrickOlley

Nov 22, 2022
Country
USA
@Elvis Starburst

"The system's fucked, dude."

The system isn't so much fucked as people are. The family has been broken, which has led to single parenting and social media raising people which leads to nothing good.

" What's next? "Don't like your job? Just quit" says those who don't have a single clue as to why that may be impossible for some."

" "Don't like the cost of living? Just move!" says those who ignore the cost of even doing such a thing, let alone even comprehend the ways that can backfire on the other end. " Here.

Nobody likes the cost of living. Again its a magical My Little Pony universe where everything is affordable by everyone and we all drive Ferrarri's with jobs we love. Cost of living is a factor that exists everywhere, cheaper places to live also have jobs that pay lower wages in the first place and higher income positions are even harder to come by. Also factor in that lower cost of living is because it's an undesirable environment for living. The reason why the cost of living on a beach is high is because it's lovely and the weather is mostly awesome.

" But of course, it's easier to blame young people, call them entitled, and tell them they could have it better if they just applied themselves... instead of confronting the system that's built the world to be this way, and pushed hundreds of millions of people into situations they can't easily get out of "

The world is not perfect but you need to see positive things in it! It depends on the person and his perception of the world! How do you see the world in such a world you live)))

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
If you think this is bad, try using the Playstation Game Catalogue. I could fucking well fly to Japan and pick up a studio pressing of these games in the time it's taking anything to download. Then it finishes downloading and I realise I don't like games!

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
The system isn't so much fucked as people are.
"The system isn't fucked", he says, and then in the very same post goes on to say that it's a "childish dream" to enjoy your job and that the cost of living is universally terrible.

Dude, you may not have noticed, but those two things are not immutable constants, inevitable in the human experience of life. It is possible to enjoy your job. It is possible to not struggle to live. The reason so many people hate their jobs, and struggle to live, is that the system we have in place makes those situations nigh-unavoidable except for a lucky (usually wealthy) few.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
The reason so many people hate their jobs, and struggle to live, is that the system we have in place makes those situations nigh-unavoidable except for a lucky (usually wealthy) few.
Why do you say "usually weathy"? Because that wealthy usually comes after the fact. Think of all the pro sports people that come into these national leagues from being fucking broke as kids. Shaq grew up from nothing. These people work incredibly hard to get to that status, and millions more athletes never go beyond high school. Luck has a lot to do with it, but so does killing yourself to be the best player you possibly can be.

Actors, musicians, all of them have much the same origins of being waiters in shitty restaurants. Chris Pratt was homeless when he got onto Parks and Rec. Like You guys tend to see the end result and never consider where that story began.

What i mean by people being fucked, is relationship culture has been ruined. People aren't staying married to raise kids anymore, and kids aren't being raised in stable household and instead being raised by watching social media influencers and spoiled by whomever is actually raising them. So they expect the world to just give them shit.

When divorce offers more value to people than being married, that's a fucking problem.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Why do you say "usually weathy"? Because that wealthy usually comes after the fact. Think of all the pro sports people that come into these national leagues from being fucking broke as kids. Shaq grew up from nothing. These people work incredibly hard to get to that status, and millions more athletes never go beyond high school. Luck has a lot to do with it, but so does killing yourself to be the best player you possibly can be.
In fact, wealth does not usually come "after rhe fact". Professional athletes are an infinitesimally small and unrepresentative sector. The vast, vast majority of wealthy business owners, investors, and highest earners of almost all stripes inherited a gigantic leg up-- either in the form of direct money, familial connections, controlling interests, or highly expensive education that automatically opens doors from youth.

Actors, musicians, all of them have much the same origins of being waiters in shitty restaurants. Chris Pratt was homeless when he got onto Parks and Rec. Like You guys tend to see the end result and never consider where that story began.

Categorically untrue. You are far likelier to succeed in the performing arts if you come from wealth.

What i mean by people being fucked, is relationship culture has been ruined. People aren't staying married to raise kids anymore, and kids aren't being raised in stable household and instead being raised by watching social media influencers and spoiled by whomever is actually raising them. So they expect the world to just give them shit.

When divorce offers more value to people than being married, that's a fucking problem.
The sky-high divorce rate has been driven precisely by the cultural idea that marriage is the default end-point. This leads to people pursuing a direction in life that will not suit them or result in a comfortable existence.