• Total voters

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
3 made my family nauseous with the endless gunshots. Never thought as a gamer, I'd get sick of the sound of weapons firing. Is 4 better in that regard?
My mom and older brother couldn't get enough of it in JW3. My dad didn't go with us to the theater to see it. He doesn't care much for the series. For all he's concerned, is just shooting and that's it, and that doesn't interest in much. Not that I exactly blame him. I do admit that they should have just ended with the Third movie. When I heard four and five were supposed to be shot back to back, that's when I started losing interest. Though apparently a fifth entry idy off the table now, for what I've seen in the news recently. JW4 I might see, but I'm not holding any promises. If they're really just going to end it here, then that's fine. If this is another lie or they even think about adding a sequel, then I'm already beyond done. I would still take these any day over Paul Greengrass movie, or movies done in that style from the mid-late 2000s and early 2010s.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
High Life (2018)

Oh my goodness. This is a science fiction film by Claire Denis about a bunch of prisoners sent into a spacecraft to do some sort of mission with a black hole... but the mission is really a MacGuffin. In fact, I wonder whether it's really just an exotic way of getting rid of prisoners in a Fallout Vault-Tec sort of way. There are a bunch of malcontents effectively in deep space isolation controlled by a doctor (Juliette Binoche) uncomfortably interested in sex and reporuction. Our hero, inasmuch as the movie has one, is played by Robert Pattinson, who uniquely amongst the crew does not seem to use the wanking chamber (seriously!) that Binoche's character has created in order to experiment on the crew. A wanking chamber which seems to frequently leak oozing milky fluid, and far more than should come out of a someone's biological plumbing, so maybe it's lubricant or cleansing fluid, but... In fact, there's a lot of milky fluid, some of which definitely actually is supposed to be semen, liberally splattered over this film like blood is in a slasher horror. (Incidentally, I guess this film probably is a horror film.)

Look, you can't really watch this as a film with a plot that's supposed to make sense. You've got Juliette Binoche in mad (and sexy) scientist mode, and Robert Pattinson as a sort of "voice of reason", and a bunch of other people. All sorts of stuff happens, most of it bad. So then what is the film about? I don't really know. It's very bleak, but my best guess is that it's about trying to find some sort of hope or meaning in a hopeless, meaningless world.

This is the sort of movie the wankiest of wanky critics will slap five stars all over. And I'll give Denis credit, despite being thoroughly weird, it's visually arresting and strangely watchable. In fact, I almost enjoyed it. But I fear it may test a lot of viewers' patience.

Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
John Wick 4

It's awesome but I don't have anything to say about it that I haven't already said about 2 & 3. Except RIP Lance Reddick.
Oh Lance, I remember when you accidentally mistook sugar cubes for John Noble LSD. Which the show makes it seem like way more awesome then normal LSD

XsjadoBlaydette

~s•o√r∆rπy°`
May 26, 2022
Clear 'n Present Danger
Country
Must
High Life (2018)

Oh my goodness. This is a science fiction film by Claire Denis about a bunch of prisoners sent into a spacecraft to do some sort of mission with a black hole... but the mission is really a MacGuffin. In fact, I wonder whether it's really just an exotic way of getting rid of prisoners in a Fallout Vault-Tec sort of way. There are a bunch of malcontents effectively in deep space isolation controlled by a doctor (Juliette Binoche) uncomfortably interested in sex and reporuction. Our hero, inasmuch as the movie has one, is played by Robert Pattinson, who uniquely amongst the crew does not seem to use the wanking chamber (seriously!) that Binoche's character has created in order to experiment on the crew. A wanking chamber which seems to frequently leak oozing milky fluid, and far more than should come out of a someone's biological plumbing, so maybe it's lubricant or cleansing fluid, but... In fact, there's a lot of milky fluid, some of which definitely actually is supposed to be semen, liberally splattered over this film like blood is in a slasher horror. (Incidentally, I guess this film probably is a horror film.)

Look, you can't really watch this as a film with a plot that's supposed to make sense. You've got Juliette Binoche in mad (and sexy) scientist mode, and Robert Pattinson as a sort of "voice of reason", and a bunch of other people. All sorts of stuff happens, most of it bad. So then what is the film about? I don't really know. It's very bleak, but my best guess is that it's about trying to find some sort of hope or meaning in a hopeless, meaningless world.

This is the sort of movie the wankiest of wanky critics will slap five stars all over. And I'll give Denis credit, despite being thoroughly weird, it's visually arresting and strangely watchable. In fact, I almost enjoyed it. But I fear it may test a lot of viewers' patience.
Ah yes I remember the wanking chamber. It is almost admirable in its function-over-form design. Perhaps the message is no matter how isolated, traumatised, disassociated and desperate you are...having a little fuck wank can take the edge off even in the maw of oblivion.

Reactions: Ag3ma

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Virtuoisty 1995

Denzel Washington is a disgraced former police officer hunting Russell Crowe as an over the top android serial killer . It's a good bad film, IMHO.
I remember watching this with my dad. Not later it was Fallen which skyrocketed Denzel to one of my favorite actors and singing Time is on My Side

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
300 is the #1 movie I have ever hated in my entire life, but having delved into Zack Snyder to an almost embarrassing extent, I don't think he was ideologically behind Miller's lunacy. Because I don't think Snyder ever thought of it that way, or is even capable of analyzing film through that lens. From all I've seen of him Snyder seems like a really wholesome, genuinely passionate guy who's never gotten into any serious controversy for anything related to him personally, so I have a really hard time thinking he's some cryptofascist signaling to white supremacists. I think he just thought "that looks cool" and made it into a movie, which is basically how I think he makes all of his movies. Don't get me wrong: I still think 300 is a vile, repugnant, morally bankrupt piece of essentially fascist propaganda, but I can't lay the blame for that on Snyder, because he simply seems to lack the capacity for any kind of deeper analysis of film beyond surface level.
Snyder is somewhat into Objectivism

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Are all the shootouts at least broken up by brawls? It wasn't so much the volume of gunshots in 3, it was that they were incessant.
They had some long, drawn out and boring brawls in 3 as well. It just got way over the top compared to 1, and 2 was pushing it as well.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Snyder is somewhat into Objectivism
People like to claim that, solely on the fact that he wants to make an adaptation of Fountainhead. Which, sure, is an Ayn Rand novel and infused with objectivist subtext, but it's moral is first about the importance of artistic freedom. Which, from a modern perspective, actually reads as somewhat anticapitalist.

There's very little to suggest that Snyder is anything other than a mainstream liberal. I mean, he vocally supported Biden in the last American election.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Are all the shootouts at least broken up by brawls? It wasn't so much the volume of gunshots in 3, it was that they were incessant.
There's some brawling but the majority of the fights are gunfights. To the point of comedy really. The way everybody has to get super up close and then shoot point blank like ten times to do any damage (everybody wears literal bulletproof suits) is absurd.

Actually there are long swathes of the movie (almost wrote game) with no fighting. For a three hour movie there aren't as many action set-pieces as you'd imagine, it's just that they go on forever once they get started. The last one in particular, once the movie goes into The Warriors/Hotline Miami mode, feels like it takes up close to an hour.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob_McMillan

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Does the story actually end finally? The thing I dislike most about the sequels is that they end so open-ended whereas the 1st movie is a complete story.
There's a post-credits scene, and I believe they're looking to franchise with a prequel show and a spin-off movie. But as far as this movie is concerned, John Wick's story is over.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Knock At The Cabin: Okay? / Great

A same-sex couple and their daughter are vacationing in a remote cabin when they are effectively taken hostage by four fanatic strangers who demand they chose one amongst themselves to sacrifice to avoid the end of days.

Not really sure why this film exists. It's basically little more than a thing that happened. Maybe I missed the "message" if there's one to be had, but I really didn't get it. It was interesting to see Batista in a role where his "sack of muscle" status wasn't at the fore.
I think (based on what I've read and heard) the reason to exist is because M Night Shyamalan and anyone familiar with his work can look at it as a weird meta piece existing for a very specific meta reason.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Everything Everywhere All At Once

View attachment 8053
Which bit?

The film is part weird indie shock film but no going to the extremes of Titaine or Raw etc while also being kind of a takedown of the modern super hero obsession with the idea of the multiverse where they're kind of like "Yeh but there's infinite versions of me the only one that matters is prime universe me and all the others as expendable".

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

I have done it. I have reviewed every single movie published by Walt Disney Animation Studios.

Reactions: BrawlMan and Hawki

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I tried to watch The Menu, but it so agressively sets itself up to pull the rug out from under you that I was already off of the rug and three rooms over watching TV before anyone had even gripped the edges. Not that being predictable is a turn-off, but the way this movie presented itself just irked the fuck out of me. Plus, none of the characters were engaging at all, so their clear socialite status that they were about to be punished for rang extremely hollow. And can John Leguizamo not be in movies anymore, please? Whatever it is he's trying onscreen, whether sincere or ironic, he's not pulling it off in any movie he's in.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Ah yes I remember the wanking chamber. It is almost admirable in its function-over-form design. Perhaps the message is no matter how isolated, traumatised, disassociated and desperate you are...having a little fuck wank can take the edge off even in the maw of oblivion.
It seems to me all the characters are lost souls, and I figure they realise it's a suicide mission towards the end. The thing is, the wank machine doesn't cut it. Some break down and attack the others thus some are killed, and the remainder all start trying to take control of their lives, even if all they can do is die on their own terms. The doctor finally feels guilt and suicides. There's one that murders the pilot, takes her place, and flies the shuttle into the black hole with predictable results. The guy who can't get back to his family, so suicides in the garden because it reminds him of home. And finally Pattinson's character, who lives on for his child, and probably also then dies along with his daughter 'completing the mission', except despite the fact he almost certainly knows they're doomed, he lies to give his daughter the sense her life has purpose (hence also I suspect why he concealed the nature of the craft with the feral dogs).

And I just want to note, Pattinson's child is a product of both parents being raped. Wowsers.

Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia

I have done it. I have reviewed every single movie published by Walt Disney Animation Studios.
Well done.

Now do DisneyToon Studios, scrub. :p